• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

MrCow

I'm not sure I've seen or heard of a single instance where someone managed to get past the first race on the PS3 version.

Has anyone had success on PS3?

i managed to play a round on PS3 with around 10 people after i started the tutorial race in solo mode and after the tutorial i went online and had a few timeouts but then it worked but i only played a few minuted because i had othet stuff to do then..

the only stuff ive gotten was Lamar's friend telling me i have to go do a TDM match which just endlessly loops "searching", before he'll give me actual missions(which will probably just be other TDM's)

and Simeon gives me cars to grab which just turn into 3+ star wanted chases, and theres no option to stealthy get the car either, its instant wanted when you enter. doesnt matter if you have a silencer and take the guys out,

these arent missions and the things on the map that are caled "mission" are just TDM, writing a paragraph of text trying to explain why you need to play TDM, doesnt all of a sudden make it not TDM.

if COD had loading screen with a psudo-mission brief before each match, that doesnt all of a sudden make it something its not

I had a mission the other day from Simeon to go get a RV in Sandy Shores from some hillbilly gang. Drove out with a buddy. Saw the RV was being guarded by two men while there was another group on top of the building next to it. I sneaked around to the back of the building and climbed up and got into a good position. My buddy took out the two guys in front of the RV while I took the guys out on the building. We got in the RV and drove to a drop off location where it was to be picked up by Family gang members. While on that drive we were attacked by hillbillys on dirtbikes. We delivered the RV and got paid. Never got a wanted level.

Sorry I had to describe all that but what level are you? The highest I would assume is 10. I think ranks go up to 100. And there are plenty of other contacts to meet. Don't judge the variety of missions from just playing a handful of them at a low level.

mazillion

I see a few pedestrians here and there but admittedly cars are harder to come by as well. I've been searching for the mini cooper for a while now, gotta head to class and keep searching later when i come back.

As to the guy asking if it's safe to quit, I'd suggest switching to one of the single player characters as when you do the game autosaves. So online is entirely based off cloud and autosaving.
But also I randomly see npc's racing around this city, which I have never seen before..

Rockstar just updates their website: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51512/grand-theft-auto-online-launch-updates.html

For PlayStation 3 users, a PlayStation Network server issue was detected that was limiting the amount of possible concurrent users. This was preventing most players from accessing GTA Online altogether and as of this morning, that problem was resolved.
[*]There is an issue that is preventing some players from getting through the first tutorial mission across both platforms. Many players have been able to get through this with repeated retries, and we are working on unblocking this for everyone as soon as possible.
[*]This morning, we experienced some instability across the GTA Online services which is affecting even people who have progressed beyond the tutorial mission. We are identifying these issues now and are working to restore stability for users as soon as possible.
[*]For the time being and until we have been able to get everybody access to GTA Online and things are running smoothly, we have disabled the option of purchasable GTA$ cash packs. Players can however keep on earning GTA$ by pulling off Jobs and other profitable gameplay activities rather than purchasing cash packs.

sappyday

I'm not sure I've seen or heard of a single instance where someone managed to get past the first race on the PS3 version.

Has anyone had success on PS3?

Yea I just did. Got past the first two missions. However I'm on the PSN version so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I had a mission the other day from Simeon to go get a RV in Sandy Shores from some hillbilly gang. Drove out with a buddy. Saw the RV was being guarded by two men while there was another group on top of the building next to it. I sneaked around to the back of the building and climbed up and got into a good position. My buddy took out the two guys in front of the RV while I took the guys out on the building. We got in the RV and drove to a drop off location where it was to be picked up by Family gang members. While on that drive we were attacked by hillbillys on dirtbikes. We delivered the RV and got paid. Never got a wanted level.

Sorry I had to describe all that but what level are you? The highest I would assume is 10. I think ranks go up to 100. And there are plenty of other contacts to meet. Don't judge the variety of missions from just playing a handful of them at a low level.

That sounds like a good way to tackle that mission. I did that one earlier but couldn't get anyone to partner up with at the time do the server issues. I definitely ended up having a wanted level that's for sure, guess I should have been more stealthy :p

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Any PS3 owner actually got past the first race? I am STILL on "Launching session"
Swear I heard a guy on a mic a minute ago, but nothing since.

Yeah, I got through.

Is there any way I should quit to save my car or can I just leave?

I forgot you could purchase money with irl money.

I'm gonna keep doing missions and see how it goes but as of right now everything is ridiculously expensive and one gets around $1200 per store or $5000 per repo mission. Upgrading an early car decently takes about 6000. So it seems to me that to purchase that 150,000 apartment I want is gonna take me quite some time.

Dug

Banned
Any PS3 owner actually got past the first race? I am STILL on "Launching session"
Yup, got past the first race. Managed to get to a mission where I had to seal an RV and after completing it got kicked off.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Me and my current car. Had to get off because my PS3 kicks into hyper mode within an hour. :( Going to open it up and clean it; hopefully I won't have to re-apply thermal paste to it.

0_0.jpg

How do these jobs work? I keep joining these lobbies with people leaving and joining but the game never actually starts. Why is this? Server issues or does the host just doesn't start the game?

The host of the job decides when to start the job. However, once the required number of people for the job have joined it will begin counting down and will start the job automatically once it reaches zero.

akaoni

Banned
PSN UK.

Created my character for the I-dunno-how-many-th time and now I got "Timed out" after it said "Joining" in the bottom right for a while.

I appreciate Rockstar's update but have they acknowledged / mentioned the character loss issue? I was hoping it wasn't a loss but just not accessible but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Bsigg12

What does it mean when it says "this vehicle is too hot to modify"?

I would assume you would have to respray it first before you can do anything else since stolen cars are noticed by police. If you randomly steal a car and don't have a star right away, if you drive by a police officer you'll automatically get a star if you don't go get the car resprayed.

Alibubble

Neo Member

At this point I can't even get into the character selection/creation screen anymore. Just tries to join GTA Online and then times out...

It's so weird because in the last hour I've definitely heard of other PS3 people getting on, don't know why it isn't working for me.

Just tried for the first time today and it worked (ps3). Surprisingly, not one person tried to kill me in the hour or so that I played.

^ You should probably edit that word out.

Finally got past the Tutorial race and played a bit. Stalled out while trying to start the Last Team Standing mission but it at least seems to kinda work now.

Crooked cop is the best mission played so far. So much fun

Also this seems like a staggered release. I can play perfectly fine yet none of my friends can start a game. Maybe they are letting people in slowly??

Level 12 now. Looks like the easiest way to level up is just do all the races solo. You get the full RP for winning and if you select single lap it's over in around minutes.

I would assume you would have to respray it first before you can do anything else since stolen cars are noticed by police. If you randomly steal a car and don't have a star right away, if you drive by a police officer you'll automatically get a star if you don't go get the car resprayed.

No. It means, "go find a shittier car to use."

Basically they are skewing field for the "starter" vehicles so you can't just immediately win every PvP race based off of a car that you stole from a driveway in the hills.

Kikarian

Eurgh, I just have a constant loop at the bit where you have to do a race after making your character. Not been online yet.

Arcteryx

Seriously, who are your grandparents/what are your settings?

Every single time I build a female character it looks like a tranny (not that there's anything with that lifestyle if someone reads this and gets offended...that is your choice, and I DGAF)...

I don't want to spend another 45 minutes getting a character to look like it's a he/she that was beaten by his/her pimp.

Here's the one pic I was able to take before getting knocked offline...

http://prod.cloud.rockstargames.com/ugc/gta5photo/5078/odr_UJNy1E-TtcvUoA5awQ/0_0.jpg

This was the original base(but it seems like some of the haircolors will change randomly, so it might take some refreshing to get it tweaked right):

makeup:
softgray

hours spent doing stuff(this seemed to give the most "plain" face, ie no acne, freckles, wrinkles, etc):

grandparent(female/male)#:
1/5
grandparent ratio(female to male)%:
80/20

grandparent(female/male)#:
1/1
grandparent ratio(female to male)%:
40/60

parent ratio(mom to dad)%:
80/20

That should give a good starting point for a Caucasian female, then you can tweak some of the grandparents around a bit for facial structure changes.

This is my character in her first apartment. Well, she is lost somewhere in Rockstar's database nirvana now but you'll never know. I won't use GTA Online until this is resolved. :(

Some people are reporting that their characters are coming back. It has something to do with the social club server going offline and coming back.

Top Bottom