• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

SJRB

Gold Member
GAF I'm thinking of starting for myself.

I work at the advertisement sales department for one of the biggest publishers in the country. You wouldn't believe how many crap I see on a daily basis when it comes to advertisement design. There are so many talentless and lazy hacks out there who get paid hundreds if not thousands of euros for something that is literally whipped up in 15 minutes.

Last week a colleague told me I should start for myself. Sales is my job, but design is my passion. Not quitting my regular job [yet], but start small. Help out locals, build a portfolio. I can deliver double the quality for half the rate.

Anyway, anyone else here doing something similar? I just.. I don't know. I feel like this is something I must do. I really WANT to do.

Maiar_m

I work at the advertisement sales department for one of the biggest publishers in the country. You wouldn't believe how many crap I see on a daily basis when it comes to advertisement design. There are so many talentless and lazy hacks out there who get paid hundreds if not thousands of euros for something that is literally whipped up in 15 minutes.

Last week a colleague told me I should start for myself. Sales is my job, but design is my passion. Not quitting my regular job [yet], but start small. Help out locals, build a portfolio. I can deliver double the quality for half the rate.

Anyway, anyone else here doing something similar? I just.. I don't know. I feel like this is something I must do. I really WANT to do.
I don't know where you are in Europe, but here in France, freelance graphic designers have no trouble succeeding. If you've got the sales skills, then you've done the hardest part.

Don't quit your day job if you want the safety net, but do give it a try.

I couldn't do the freelance thing. I like the certainty of a paycheck over the possibility of a big payday.

I'm not really money motivated so there is little impetus for me to seek out greener pastures.

Kikarian

I was thinking of doing freelance, but now work in a studio. I may start freelancing in the future though.

I've been freelancing full-time for the last couple years, and I'll say it's not half as scary as I thought it'd be when I was in your shoes. Your mindset shifts the way it perceives cash flow, in my case I feel far more stable now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOL3UvfVzp4

This is a title sequence I just completed for a class that I'm taking at my school to focus on motion graphics. It's my first real project completed using after effects! There's still things about it that annoy me, and it's far from being perfect, but I'm happy with how it came out.
That seems pretty nice to me!

I did notice some things where the text came out a bit too close to the edges and the speed and slowdown of said sliding text could use a bit more finesse (or character), but a lot of the intro I was impressed by.

Design GAF: Question:

I'm using a psd file that is just text with a clear background.

When I export the file as a PDF, the background is completely clear. But when I print out the document, there is a darker box around the text where the background would be.

Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

Design GAF: Question:

I'm using a psd file that is just text with a clear background.

When I export the file as a PDF, the background is completely clear. But when I print out the document, there is a darker box around the text where the background would be.

Does anyone know how to eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

This is only half an answer, but it sure sounds like a flattening issue. Is there a drop shadow or anything around the type? Hope this steers you in the right direction.

mik

mik is unbeatable
It could also just be a product of the printer you're using for output. I'd try printing it from Acrobat, InDesign, and Photoshop and see if the result is different in any of them. I've always had good success printing PSD files with transparency out of InDesign, but I always have trouble doing the same out of Photoshop itself.

This is a title sequence I just completed for a class that I'm taking at my school to focus on motion graphics. It's my first real project completed using after effects! There's still things about it that annoy me, and it's far from being perfect, but I'm happy with how it came out.

Very awesome dude. It would be even better if it was turned into a real movie...about a mass murdering psychopath! DAT MISDIRECTION.

But yeah awesome job duder.

Pachimari

Can I ask in here, what's the thread for graphics requests?

Because I'm building an iOS Gaming website and I need a slick and modern looking header at 900px (width) and 200px (height).

Where do you live?
I'm an illustrator/ graphic designer working in the Netherlands and i think it's doable, if you work hard and got the skills that is.

Milchjon

Can I ask in here, what's the thread for graphics requests?

Because I'm building an iOS Gaming website and I need a slick and modern looking header at 900px (width) and 200px (height).

Well, if you're trying to hire someone, this thread would probably your best bet.
If your plan is to ask for submissions and award a (hilariously low) prize to your favorite, you should totally go ahead and make a separate thread ;-)

That seems pretty nice to me!

I did notice some things where the text came out a bit too close to the edges and the speed and slowdown of said sliding text could use a bit more finesse (or character), but a lot of the intro I was impressed by.

Thanks! Looking at it after the fact, there are things that bother me a bit. Compositionally a lot of the title cards are not that interesting (straight on, centered shots slowly zooming in). I literally was in the grocery store with my camera half shooting and half being on the lookout for store employees coming down the aisles, so I just wasn't thinking about it. Chalk that up to inexperience. There were a couple that have a slight tilt to them (the clorox bottle, and the doorway shot at the end), which were done in editing and definitely on purpose.

I filmed in 1080p and made the final in 720p so I could crop the shots and pan them without a loss of video quality. It was also supposed to be about 40 seconds longer, but I ran out of time and the project was due. The video cuts the song off right before it could begin another sequence, similar to the one of the grocery store, of what the killer does at and after the dinner, sort of like his ritual I guess. Unfortunately I ran out of time and couldn't do it. I didn't sleep for 3 days straight doing this before it was due, so I was just happy to get it done.

My next project is to do a production company logo that "challenges the conventions of a logo." Damn my lofty descriptions...

Hey Layzie, I thought that was suuuuper good for your first AE project, nice job! I'm curious about what school your at (if you don't mind revealing your general location)

Timo

rewLy.jpg

Logo is for a jewelry maker, most of the variations try to fit a diamond or a gem in between the k and t, and then the last one is largely passed on one of her original ideas which kind of looks cool, but doesn't really read KT at all. Any thoughts would be cool.

Jzero

rewLy.jpg

Logo is for a jewelry maker, most of the variations try to fit a diamond or a gem in between the k and t, and then the last one is largely passed on one of her original ideas which kind of looks cool, but doesn't really read KT at all. Any thoughts would be cool.
I like the middle one on the bottom the best.

Flek

Banned
Ok i need to get a good printer for my homeoffice - i don't want to go to the copyshop for all my little printouts.

Any recomendations?

t-ramp

I like the middle one on the bottom the best.
I agree.

So I've been trying to do a bit of graphic design. Mostly for my website, which is more web design than graphic design... Also I'll be doing some logos for extra credit for a class, which should be fun. Gotta make use of the CS5 suite I bought a while back.

BIGWORM

I used to play around with photoshopping photomanips (or tags, whatever you want to call them), but I'm scared to post them in here, because that was so long ago. I used to just make them out of boredom, same with "stick arts" for Mad Catz joysticks.

I used to play around with photoshopping photomanips (or tags, whatever you want to call them), but I'm scared to post them in here, because that was so long ago. I used to just make them out of boredom, same with "stick arts" for Mad Catz joysticks.

Go for it man, one thing about the gaf community is we're high on constructive posts and very low on the whole "omg this sucks bro." That kind of shit doesn't fly here.

BIGWORM

Go for it man, one thing about the gaf community is we're high on constructive posts and very low on the whole "omg this sucks bro." That kind of shit doesn't fly here.

If I can find them. Most of my latter work is scattered throughout tinypic, when I was starting to fall out of it as a past time hobby. Most of my stuff circa 2008 are in my photobucket.

*edit* A couple of avatars and tags I found:

Sorted from newest > oldest

blight.png

allen4copy-1.png

allen3copy-1.png

Tetsuomancopy.gif

lelouchcopy.png

maskcopy.png

gnacopy.png

dmccopy-1.png

ndone2.png

samcopy.png

simon3copy.png

ffinalv2copy.png

Ffinalcopy.png

imv2copy.png

hotcopy.png

finalcopy.png

gaspcopy.gif

lazenganncopy.png

simoncopy.png

DKcopy.gif

kencopy.png

laganncopy.png

shamcopy.png

lynchdonecopy.png

TDcopy.png

blade3copy.png

somethincopy.png

qwerqer2.png

shockercopy.png

kenjicopy.png

kaneda5copy.png

rock3.png

korcopy.gif

bladecopy.png

insanecopy.png

saicopy.png

dmccopy.png

JKcopy.png

SScopy.png

Anothercopy.png

Nerocopy.png

ganny.gif

TZWallpaper01.jpg

Boltv2copy.png

Nine2copy-1.png

asumacopy.jpg

Jzero

Ugh, there's so many amateurs on Facebook that think they're good at making logos and stuff when in reality their work looks like ass. I guess the thing that pisses me off is the popularity they receive.

zoukka

Ugh, there's so many amateurs on Facebook that think they're good at making logos and stuff when in reality their work looks like ass. I guess the thing that pisses me off is the popularity they receive.

Those who act, achieve. You can sit on top of the best design in the world, but the fact is, if you are fast, cheap and your work can fill the minimum quality criterias, you are probably already hired.

There's nothing more infuriating than when hack people/people who openly thieve succeed.

That being said I try to redirect it to myself "well I could improve at this" type of thing.

Jzero

Those who act, achieve. You can sit on top of the best design in the world, but the fact is, if you are fast, cheap and your work can fill the minimum quality criterias, you are probably already hired.
Yea, you are totally correct.

Rob Liefield yo. I know a guy who's designs are completely horrid by most standards, but he landed a job as lead designer for some marketing firm in GA making 60kish a year. I haven't kept up the guy but I assume he's still working there. That or clients of the company wised up and was like...this work is ass.

zoukka

Rob Liefield yo. I know a guy who's designs are completely horrid by most standards, but he landed a job as lead designer for some marketing firm in GA making 60kish a year. I haven't kept up the guy but I assume he's still working there. That or clients of the company wised up and was like...this work is ass.

Yep, he applied and got in. He acted. Many people stayed home and played videogames :b

Mr. F

Banned

Awesome work. Looking to specialize in motion graphics myself, was great to watch especially considering its your first go.

So with the new iTunes interface coming out, I was creating a music player that was iTunes influenced with some new additions I thought were needed. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner because I'm more into showing the prototyping and drawings than I am the actual design.

iShjxo9WthphT.jpg

Thinking of changing some things and using after effects to animate them. First example being the queue bar, it auto hides until you have music playing then the queue bar will be auto populated with the current song playing.
I hate the cliche scrub bar, it's dumb and it doesn't work. You're just arbitrarily dragging not knowing when to stop. Even though many people don't see these or use them, wave forms are much more intuitive IMO. Some of the icons are temporary placement (like the artist icon for the sort drop down, most would associate that with user, I need to come up with an icon that makes sense to the end user. Hopefully by the end of this week if not next, I'll have it animated so people can see it in motion.

It's pretty rough and seeing it designed, some of the things I thought up in terms of layout aren't exactly jiving with me.

I'm teaching myself InDesign.

Any tips?

I suck at giving tips, most of what you're going to learn is trial and error really. I can tell you my favorite shortcuts

Shift-X - Swap stroke and fill color
Shift-P - Page Tool (You will use this A LOT)

I don't use InDesign much but I do remember those.

Top Bottom