• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

DaFish

Can I get some feedback on some logos? Really stuggling to find something I'm happy with.

jbtpGH8GqxJmAJ.jpg

Also, do any of you know any logo designers who would be able to help with this branding project? Budget is £100 so I'm not sure how much we can get for that...

I think the second one from the top is quite nice.

I would just submit that one if you had the option too, I find giving the client too many "options" usually turns out to not only lengthen the process to an un-needed time span, but the final product does not turn out up to its potential.

They are looking to you as the professional, so your guidance on what "works best for them" is as important as the design itself.

There are some clients that want to poop on designs as well, and pretty much design logos through your technical knowledge. Those are not the best of times :/

Trying to go for something simple and easily readable on this logo for a landscaping company.

Feedback welcome as I generally suck with logo design and have a lot of room to improve.

bBwPEovs.jpg

IR2WKxgl.jpg

cbox

Trying to go for something simple and easily readable on this logo for a landscaping company.

Feedback welcome as I generally suck with logo design and have a lot of room to improve.

bBwPEovs.jpg

IR2WKxgl.jpg

First thing I'd say is that the Tree is way too detailed at that size, might want to done the details down a bit and go for simple.

I'll agree with the second logo also, the rest look like package logos you might find on a logo template generator.

Futureman

is this one or several ads? I don´t really get the context?

whoa sorry for posting my ad so big.

anyways I run a book printing machine that makes perfect bound paper back books called the Espresso Book Machine. The signs will most likely be placed right in front of the book machine in my store. So I guess it could be a little confusing without any context.... But I do want to post some around campus, so people will be viewing them out of context.

I still need to add something on the bottom about visiting our website for more details and pricing.

Futureman

Several book covers communicating that you can publish your own book. I thought it was a pretty immediate takeaway. I got it... including the reference to Palahniuk's Diary. :)

What is the Palahniuk reference? Never read it haha.

Can I get some feedback on some logos? Really stuggling to find something I'm happy with.

jbtpGH8GqxJmAJ.jpg

Also, do any of you know any logo designers who would be able to help with this branding project? Budget is £100 so I'm not sure how much we can get for that...

Second one is the best one, Though I suggest a different hue of blue on the S versus the E to make it easier to get. The rest honestly look like something you'd find on "supercheaplogo.com"

dmshaposv

jbtpGH8GqxJmAJ.jpg

1) This is the best of the lot. But to make it look fresh, try different typography arrangements. Center alignment isn't working for me.

2) Illegible. I don't see the "S", even though I know what you are trying to do.

3) I don't see how this has anything to do with entrepreneurs. Also looks quite generic.

4) Same comment as (3)

5) This doesnt work at all.

I think you need to experiment more with typography. Try something besides stacked/horizontal alignments.

I also think you might not even need an icon, and just a logotype might suffice. Besides the first one where I can see something related to business, all the other icons don't work.

8byte

Banned
I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I'm gonna try anyway. I just bought a domain for a stream channel I want to start, but I'm having trouble brainstorming to give it an identity. The name is "AwfulGamer.tv".

Anyone have any clever ideas they're willing to part with?

DaFish

I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I'm gonna try anyway. I just bought a domain for a stream channel I want to start, but I'm having trouble brainstorming to give it an identity. The name is "AwfulGamer.tv".

Anyone have any clever ideas they're willing to part with?

Broken game pad maybe?

Flek

Banned
uh so fellow designers how do you like adobe moving to subscription exlusive?

i dont think i like it, i want to own software i buy

but on the other hand they do offer A lot for the price ....

For my uses, CC is the best thing Adobe has ever done, and just keeps on getting better.

RDreamer

Works for me, I think. It's a pretty damned good price, and I could see it being a lot easier to convince the boss to pay for that rather than a huge up front cost. And you'll always be up to date instead of, again, having to tell the boss particularly why you need to upgrade :p.

It is a really great price for what you get, though. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Premiere right now. There's probably other stuff I'll use later, too.

Works for me, I think. It's a pretty damned good price, and I could see it being a lot easier to convince the boss to pay for that rather than a huge up front cost. And you'll always be up to date instead of, again, having to tell the boss particularly why you need to upgrade :p.

It is a really great price for what you get, though. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Premiere right now. There's probably other stuff I'll use later, too.

Sure, for work. But how does this apply to me, the student? And didn't the current CC service still have silly restrictions like only one activation at a time, making multiple workstations worthless?

RDreamer

Sure, for work. But how does this apply to me, the student? And didn't the current CC service still have silly restrictions like only one activation at a time, making multiple workstations worthless?

They said it was two workstations.

Not sure how they're doing students. They'd be pretty dumb not to have a student discount. If they made it like $19 a month for students while you're in school that'd be pretty awesome for you. Not sure if they will, though.

A lot of students couldn't really afford the student pricing as it was anyway. I knew a few people that just used the labs. I guess if you're one of the students that would only use one of the programs then you probably get a bit screwed on the bundling. Design students come out ok, since we use a lot of them.

cbox

Is there an updated list if what's new in photoshop and illustrator cc? I doubt there are any new tools or feature sets that would make me want to upgrade from cs6. I see myself using this suite for a very long time as I barely use the new feature sets anyways...

DaFish

Creative Cloud is great.

Had a client that needed some work done that required After Effects... all I had to do was download it instead of sweating it out or trying to get the project done within a trial period.

Creative Cloud is crap for someone like me who bought the Master Collection. I use every application. I want to own what I buy and choose when to upgrade, 900 a year is not worth it. Not only that, they have yearly contracts too. Screw that. Not only that, but not every month I have money to pay for something. Then what? You're screwed until you get the money to pay for it for that month.

zoukka

Yep usual anti-consumerist bullshit. I'll be rocking my cs5 versions for yeaaaars. It's not like anything essential has been added to photoshop since Jesus died except better performance.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I have been interested recently on getting my hands on book design... So, any good book/magazine layout book for beginners that I should take a look at?

Flek

Banned
they have a cc student discount but for some reason its limeted offer and ends on the 25th next month --

no freaking idea why they would stop offering student discounts after next month

zoukka

they have a cc student discount but for some reason its limeted offer and ends on the 25th next month --

no freaking idea why they would stop offering student discounts after next month

Because a student can afford a few months of full price CC instead of full price separate software purchase. It's fucked up.

Brera

Banned
Hey graphic design GAF! Hopefully I'm a new long term member in here as I've started doing web design after a ten year gap! Not sure why I didn't start up my own place in my spare time as its a nice earner as a side project. I'm starting out with just working on paid for HTML themes and using them as a base so I get used to the coding side of it.

A side effect of all this is that I really enjoy the design side of things! I've got a few web design gigs already and couple more possibly lined up after a week of operation!

My twitter is @bearIDGroup where I've posted some work in progress stuff so people can see how I operate!

I'm open to advice and critism and to gain experience, I'm happy to design some logos for gaffers for free!

I really like "flat" designs that are in fashion right now! Less really is more! I designed my own business card and have outsourced it to china for production but realised it was too fussy so designed a completely new one!

It's a great learning experience :)

Brera

Banned
This is my 2nd web site in a week! The first I did was too boring and corporate so I found a more funky and fun design to work with.

www.bearinteractivedesign.co.uk

Do you guys get tired of your sites quickly and want to change them completely constantly? I'll keep this one for a whole now but I'm already seeing holes where I can improve to get my message across!

Some of the stuff in This thread is amazing through! Don't think I'll ever be as good but I'm looking to just stay small and aim for simple websites for now where customers don't expect too much or ask for designs that are too complicated for my limited talents :)

This is my 2nd web site in a week! The first I did was too boring and corporate so I found a more funky and fun design to work with.

Do you guys get tired of your sites quickly and want to change them completely constantly? I'll keep this one for a whole now but I'm already seeing holes where I can improve to get my message across!

Some of the stuff in This thread is amazing through! Don't think I'll ever be as good but I'm looking to just stay small and aim for simple websites for now where customers don't expect too much or ask for designs that are too complicated for my limited talents :)

I really like it, I'm a sucker for the whole scrolling site. I also like that it's responsive! On your job vacancies you have a space between E and xperience for both of them. Good job man! You should add a link to some of the professional websites you've done thus far on there for potential clients to see. I don't know anything about the UK market in terms of web development but your prices seem pretty good.

The timelapse is dope, I noticed the entire thing was recorded in HDR, it mindfucked me for a second as I tried to figure out why it looked different.

Divius

On your job vacancies you have a space between E and xperience for both of them.
Noticed this as well :)

You should add a link to some of the professional websites you've done thus far on there for potential clients to see.
Agreed. It's kinda weird putting "our clients love us and why they keep coming back." at the top of the site, only to find no reference to any clients.

Other than that it's pretty cool, the green is really fresh and the Dali quotes are a nice touch.

Brera

Banned
That's what I was aiming for?

It's supposed to be a mess and funky? I do see what you mean as it doesn't look as good as I thought it would.

The time lapse isn't by me, there is a JavaScript linking to a YouTube video! I really like parts of it but the stuff you pointed out kinda bugs me sometimes as it may look funky but it might be harder to read on phones.

Brera

Banned
Noticed this as well :)

Agreed. It's kinda weird putting "our clients love us and why they keep coming back." at the top of the site, only to find no reference to any clients.

Other than that it's pretty cool, the green is really fresh and the Dali quotes are a nice touch.

lol yeh the E bugged me but not sure I've not changed it! I will get it sorted though!

I should have a few client sites up soon!

There is a scrolling section right at the bottom, as I go along, I'll be adding the ones I like most there.

I've tweeted David Hayter on twitter offering to do his website for free forever inc hosting charges! It would be awesome if he replied! I've got a good idea for a site for him!

Naito

That's what I was aiming for?

It's supposed to be a mess and funky? I do see what you mean as it doesn't look as good as I thought it would. .

Alright, I see your intention. My first impression was that it felt like an oversight of details, perhaps it should be a little more crafted?
Right now, to me, it doesn't look intentional (as in intendend artistic direction) but rather a lack of care on your side :)

I'd avoid creating optical incidents on purpose (doesn't mean you don't have to) but I'd limit it to a very low number of specific cases.

Brera

Banned
Totally agree. I needed to put more thought in which words would get fucked up.

I'll think up how to get around it, maybe just one word here or there.

Brera

Banned
Thanks, I'll post some logos I've design later!

Probably the wrong place to offer but I'll happily do some free logo designs if any gaffers need them just for the experience :)

I have been interested recently on getting my hands on book design... So, any good book/magazine layout book for beginners that I should take a look at?

The Basics Design books are good, published by AVA. There's one about layout, may also be one specific to book design.

Also look at "making and breaking the grid", first half of the book looks at grid structure second half how to move away from it.

Brera

Banned

jbtpGH8GqxJmAJ.jpg

I like the text from the 2nd one with the logo from the 3rd!

.GqueB.

Banned

As someone else said, your typography could use some work. Like your selective bolding is a little weird. You bold We are a and not Unique. I'd flip those. But overall it's a interesting site. Very eye catching. If you can, I'd just go back and noodle everything a little bit. Have someone else take a look and really get down to the nitty gritty.

Or not. Not sure if this is final.

And the percentage thing is a little weird. What is a percentage of?

Brera

Banned
The percentage think is a bit geeky. I like it. End of the day it is pretty pointless.

My bolding is a bit random, maybe I need a bit of "ordered chaos" rather than just chaos!

Naito

My bolding is a bit random, maybe I need a bit of "ordered chaos" rather than just chaos!

Trying to order chaos usually turns in a very forced, loose chaos.
Either you randomly generate it or are very crafty about it (or both for best result, imo) :) not helping, I know!

cbox

Sorry but all the css3 and html5 in the world does not make up for the fact you have a video with sound playing, automatically, and without the option to pause or mute.

You're trying way too many techniques on the page, and to me it looks like something you'd see on themeforest as a way to judge all the features of a template you're about to buy.

Your typefaces are also all over the place, including your stock photos, Especially those, they're the definition of "corporate, clichéd" design.

Brera

Banned
Fair comment!

There is an option to pause it/mute it if you hover over the transparent bar. I'll amend the code to stick it on mute automatically.

I'm not sure why I went with the music though because its a personal bug bear of mine! I think I got over excited!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The green really doesn't work for me.
Yeah, it's not too pleasant to look at, it's too bright. I made a quick edit using Pantone's Fern Green (R 0, G 146, B 70).

bidgq9ubs.png

Without transperancy. This may not be the best example but it's not unpleasant to look at, in my opinion at least. So something in that direction would be good.

Brera

Banned
Maybe the funky fucked up corporate look is a bit too out there.

I've tested it on techies who've all loved it. I even had a few work colleagues starting to hum the tune all day afterwards.

I wouldn't personally want to browse a site with background music but its not aimed at me. I'm aiming it at people who know nothing about computing and just blasting them away with aural, visual and verbal diarrhoea!

I like the whole lime green on white look. That's my theme and brand identity! It is marmite but sometimes it's for the best! It stands out.

The alternative was orange and white.

Flek

Banned
Sorry but all the css3 and html5 in the world does not make up for the fact you have a video with sound playing, automatically, and without the option to pause or mute.

seriously this - auto play should not exist anymore. I clicked the link and music started playing and i immediately left the page again. All of this took less than 10 sec.

edit: also this guys face poping in everytime i scroll combined with the music makes me dizzy

cbox

Nobody wants to hear music when they visit a website unless they actively choose to. You might also want to give honest numbers for your analytics. Considering you don't have any active clients on the site, it's a little hard to believe 12000 people visit your page daily :p

As far as the green colour, it's not very good. Look at this..

LrB6R2G.png

Top Bottom