• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

Pretty good...I would dare you to print them out and stick them on actual bottles in stores...but I'd be worried someone actually decided to drink Windex.

Dreaver

Some time ago I posted a redesigned version of Spotify I made. I changed it a bit and I think I'll keep it this way, it's only for myself anyways (and as portfolio). It's not perfect, but I don't feel like spending any time on it anymore, I like it better then the current one anyways.

FRvdxJW.jpg

And yeah, it's a little small but this is the size I worked with, it started out as a quick draft of the minimized version of Spotify and right now the work space is a mess, it takes way too much time to clean it up.

(I noticed I actually uploaded the wrong version, a newer version has stuff better aligned, but whatever)

Oh and yeah, does anyone have a Dribbble invite left or knows a good way how to get one by any chance? I'd love to join that community.

Looks good, I think you should continue to work on it. You'd be surprised on how many people are hired for their ideas like these.

I would suggest increasing the contrast between the font and theme. Black on Gray can be beautiful when done right but horrid when done wrong, especially when it's gray font on black background. With that stated I drew out this UI design idea for Windows 8 that I'll post later today, it's an idea I've been wanting MS to do for Windows since Zune.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is anyone here familiar with the website designcrowd.com?

If so, what are your experiences? Is it worth trying? Someone recommended me to sign up to take some freeball projects, to practice and expand portfolio.

GCX

If so, what are your experiences? Is it worth trying? Someone recommended me to sign up to take some freeball projects, to practice and expand portfolio.
It's a way to get some practice but I really wouldn't recommend spending too much time and effort there. You won't get much (if any) money out of it and most of the payments are pretty laughable.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's a way to get some practice but I really wouldn't recommend spending too much time and effort there. You won't get much (if any) money out of it and most of the payments are pretty laughable.

Figured as much, thanks. Two-day deadlines with 5 bucks payment made me raise an eyebrow, haha.

cbox

Such bullshit, don't support spec work please. If you want work worthy of a portfolio, create real world examples and register your own site.

Such bullshit, don't support spec work please. If you want work worthy of a portfolio, create real world examples and register your own site.

This, easiest and quickest way to establish yourself and potentially get hired at a well known/large design firm. I always suggest people register and start a site. If you're the procrastination type, find a hosting solution that allows you to pay monthly, that way you're more inclined to constantly update your site (versus a one time payment and you get lazy).

cbox

Be mindful of printer cutoff points, and giving enough padding so that your text is all properly spaced out. It's kinda close to the edges.

Also agreed on the black aspect, I think it's a bit heavy and the espresso book logo would look better on a white background. Just my thoughts.

Futureman

I'm printing on a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II. I set the file as CMYK in Photoshop.

I guess it is pretty dense w/ black. The main reason I went with that is the photo I took had a natural gradient to black at the top, so I went with that for the top part (black background, white text), and then it just worked out that way down the page. I'll try a variation or two.

Flek

Banned
so i recently got a intuos5 and i have to say working with it in photoshop is brilliant. Even the multitouch works perfectly and makes a lot of things way faster :)

Futureman

so i recently got a intuos5 and i have to say working with it in photoshop is brilliant. Even the multitouch works perfectly and makes a lot of things way faster :)

Wacom is awesome. My USB port was flaking out and eventually it would not connect to my computer anymore (Intuos 5).

They have a 2 year warranty which is great, but they not only replaced the USB port, they put a brand new layer on the drawing surface of my tablet! It's like brand new when I got it back. I'm thinking of getting the 13HD when it comes out next month.

lil smoke

Banned

Have you tried the new bristle brushes in psd?

I thought it would be a game changer with Wacom, I was actually pretty disappointed, it's a gimmick.

Tablet/Graphics software is king tho.

Flek

Banned
Wacom is awesome. My USB port was flaking out and eventually it would not connect to my computer anymore (Intuos 5).

They have a 2 year warranty which is great, but they not only replaced the USB port, they put a brand new layer on the drawing surface of my tablet! It's like brand new when I got it back. I'm thinking of getting the 13HD when it comes out next month.

this is great iam a bit worried because the surface looks already scratched and the tips wear of quick

Have you tried the new bristle brushes in psd?

I thought it would be a game changer with Wacom, I was actually pretty disappointed, it's a gimmick.

Tablet/Graphics software is king tho.

you mean the brushes that change depending on the angle? I thought it would be awesome but in fact i agree that they are kind of useless. However the ring on the wacom is soooooo awesome.

Asimov

Banned
I'm working on a logo for our internal 5S program (if you have worked for a big company, you will probably know what 5S is) but our company has added an additional S (Security).

And a cube has 6 sides.

zXuKIBG.png

cbox

I've personally never been a fan of 3d isometric logos. If I were to give feedback, I'd say the first one has too much black. Having the colours on the edges offers nice contrast, but overall it's too dark for it to be effective, and the opaque corners makes it a bit too busy for my taste.

Asimov

Banned
I've personally never been a fan of 3d isometric logos. If I were to give feedback, I'd say the first one has too much black. Having the colours on the edges offers nice contrast, but overall it's too dark for it to be effective, and the opaque corners makes it a bit too busy for my taste.

Oh, and they want me to add 6 colors. One for each S.

D:

Better, my general rule of thumb is never use true black (0,0,0) in your designs. I always go with a "dark gray/matte gray".

In related news...my girlfriend's car got broken into and my copic markers were stolen. T_T

dmshaposv

Yeah. I know.

This particular design prof. of mine has been really off every single time I've taken her classes. I've actually avoided taking some of her classes because I knew she gave shitty suggestions. But I'm one of her "favorites" so I could give her dog shit and I would still get a decent grade.

Also, she's getting kinda panicky with my class because we have only completed one project for this semester... (mainly due to her scatter-brained approach to teaching)

It's just pure insanity at this point. Past students of her's have complained about her several times to the higher ups at my uni but she's kinda "grandfathered" in at the point.

Once I graduate in May I'm going to go through a lot of my projects and radically revise most of them.

Don't take "easy A" teachers man. I had tough typography professor which everyone universally hated - but at the end of the day we learned shit loads.

The most dreaded/hated professors are the best.

RDreamer

Don't take "easy A" teachers man. I had tough typography professor which everyone universally hated - but at the end of the day we learned shit loads.

The most dreaded/hated professors are the best.

Tough design teachers are great. My favorite one was by far the most blunt. If he thought what you were doing sucked he'd tell you. You always knew where your work stood. If it needed work, he'd force you to get it there. If it was good, you knew it was good.

RDreamer

Amateur question:

When it comes to fonts from places like Lost Type, what can I legally use them for?

Gotta look at the license files that come with them, or that they list on the site.

Personally I don't install anything at all on my computer that isn't approved for commercial use also. Any oddities in that license and I just delete, because I'm probably not going to always remember that.

Anyone have a good font recommendation for me?

I'm looking for the thick, readable type that evokes "speed".

Speed is in the company name, so thought something with stylized italics would be cool.

cbox

Anyone have a good font recommendation for me?

I'm looking for the thick, readable type that evokes "speed".

Speed is in the company name, so thought something with stylized italics would be cool.

This doesn't have stylized italics, but it's pretty speedy to me..

http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=venera

I don't post much of my work in this thread, but here's a little something I finished about a month ago. Infographics are so fun to do.

lbQNkcQ.jpg

Futureman

another ad for work... nearly complete...

selfpubv2.jpg

too cluttered/jumbled?

does Chrome display CMYK files as oversaturated? In Photoshop the ad looks perfect. When I save as JPEG to my desktop (OS X), it looks a desaturated. And when I view in Chrome it looks oversaturated. Print is the final destination and it looked perfect so I guess that's all that matters.

DaFish

I find that Chrome does indeed over saturate CMYK colors when I send clients proofs on print work.

Final prints are just fine so no worries.

Futureman

yea... looking at it now in Safari, it looks like it does on the desktop, which makes sense I guess.

Firefox looks exactly like Chrome.

Flek

Banned
another ad for work... nearly complete...

selfpubv1.jpg

too cluttered/jumbled?

does Chrome display CMYK files as oversaturated? In Photoshop the ad looks perfect. When I save as JPEG to my desktop (OS X), it looks a desaturated. And when I view in Chrome it looks oversaturated. Print is the final destination and it looked perfect so I guess that's all that matters.

is this one or several ads? I don´t really get the context?

mik

mik is unbeatable
Several book covers communicating that you can publish your own book. I thought it was a pretty immediate takeaway. I got it... including the reference to Palahniuk's Diary. :)

ReRixo

Banned
Can I get some feedback on some logos? Really stuggling to find something I'm happy with.

jbtpGH8GqxJmAJ.jpg

Also, do any of you know any logo designers who would be able to help with this branding project? Budget is £100 so I'm not sure how much we can get for that...

Top Bottom