• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

Futureman

Yea, I don't know what's going on.

Safari actually wasn't up to date on my Mac last night. But I would still think it should have worked even if it was the latest LATEST version. Hmm.

Works fine in Chrome and IE9 at work here. I'll take a screen grab of it later. Can someone else with Safari try it out?

RDreamer

Yea, I don't know what's going on.

Safari actually wasn't up to date on my Mac last night. But I would still think it should have worked even if it was the latest LATEST version. Hmm.

Works fine in Chrome and IE9 at work here. I'll take a screen grab of it later. Can someone else with Safari try it out?

Yeah, I tried it out on Safari and it looks and works just fine for me.

Here is a front/back album cover I designed for my friend's instrumental metal post rock style band.

jdkuql3rCYm3S.jpg

Here is a early cut of one of their songs on the album http://youtu.be/0DkHtJ1XPxg

Futureman

ok. Pretty basic, but somehow I didn't pick this up yet.

Say you have 2 layers in Photoshop.

A cutout of a man's face and a layer below that. The layer below is just a background... let's say a simple gradient.

So what if you want to change the brightness of the man's face but not the gradient layer below?

I know there are adjustment layers, but that seems to effect both the man's face and layer below. I guess adjustment layers effect anything BELOW in the layer stack, right? So how do you just target the man's face?

ugh I know it's so simple and I don't know how I've done so much in PS at this point without knowing this haha.

JCX

Has anyone used the iPad/Android versions of Photoshop and Ideas (like Illustrator)? Are they worthwhile?

RDreamer

A cutout of a man's face and a layer below that. The layer below is just a background... let's say a simple gradient.

So what if you want to change the brightness of the man's face but not the gradient layer below?

I know there are adjustment layers, but that seems to effect both the man's face and layer below. I guess adjustment layers effect anything BELOW in the layer stack, right? So how do you just target the man's face?

ugh I know it's so simple and I don't know how I've done so much in PS at this point without knowing this haha.

If you're on the layer you want (the cutout of the man's face), just go to Image > Birghtness and Contrast, and whatever you do will only affect that layer.

Thinking of picking up the latest Intuos tablet. Anyone give it a whirl yet? I love my Intuos 3 but I would like to get the better pressure sensitivity I have been hearing about.

kehs

Banned

Two ways I do it.

-Make a selection of the face, create new adjustment layer. The adjustment layer will have a mask and be affecting on the selection area.

-Copy the face onto a new layer, create adjustment layer. Then press + hold ALT, and click between the two layers. This allows adjustment layers to only apply to the layer below them.

mblitek

Here is a front/back album cover I designed for my friend's instrumental metal post rock style band.

jdkuql3rCYm3S.jpg

Here is a early cut of one of their songs on the album http://youtu.be/0DkHtJ1XPxg

I really like that album cover, great job! The font fits well with the images. As someone asked before is that "satellite" font?

Also during this thread a well-deserved bump as I have seen a lot of talent on NeoGAF in other threads and I would love to see the talent in here! Even if it's older design work I love seeing well-designed media :)

some work I've done for a student committee at my university:

f52915396e8d1ae73acc98893068a1b2.png

d2fabe74d49d13cf6eb8b1823e841d16.png

9d9214fe7c3e1b0e88a1dbbf5e4dfad3.jpg

74acad235e5f00f9a1822a5715e96442.png

brochure for my programme:
45c156157c4a346c1270dd0d3795463e.jpg

95d30e8fb50086556f84a8e67b259f2c.jpg

e047a6ab2fdd5d97c42980d4a4e7e2fc.jpg

Really, really need to develop my skills at documenting print work.

ReRixo

Banned
Not sure this is appropriate for this thread, but I've been working on a personal website. Not coded anything yet, just playing around in Photoshop so I can decide how I really want it to look. Still not really happy with it, but it's reaching the point where I'm just going to start coding it up.

-snip- two posts below

What do you guys think of it? Would appreciate any feedback :)

some work I've done for a student committee at my university:

Really, really need to develop my skills at documenting print work.

Really like your work! Especially posters 2, 3, and 4. Love the colours, really cool stuff :)

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure i'm liking the identical font for the header and description texts, specifically the paragraph. But it looks pretty good! I think your initials logo could be given a bit more focus, though. And perhaps the social media icons could use some sort of indention so they rest within the page rather than hover above everything else.

ReRixo

Banned
Not sure i'm liking the identical font for the header and description texts, specifically the paragraph. But it looks pretty good! I think your initials logo could be given a bit more focus, though. And perhaps the social media icons could use some sort of indention so they rest within the page rather than hover above everything else.

Thanks, appreciate it. Definitely need to change up the header fonts, I think I will make the Recent Projects, Twitter, and Dribbble headings share the same font for consistancy, just need to find something suitable. I think for the header paragraph I'm look for a font which is bolder and then uncapitalise it.

edit: quick update

Going to rework the logo. I'm guessing it's a bad idea to use my signature as a logo?

This is not so much a design question but I just upgraded to cs6 and one of my most useful options seems to be missing, is there anyway to open a bunch of images as one? There use to be a open when selecting one image you can open the rest as a image sequence, I use it to make gifs but they took it out in cs6. Any other way to accomplish this?

adelante

This is not so much a design question but I just upgraded to cs6 and one of my most useful options seems to be missing, is there anyway to open a bunch of images as one? There use to be a open when selecting one image you can open the rest as a image sequence, I use it to make gifs but they took it out in cs6. Any other way to accomplish this?

Highlight images in Bridge, and choose Tools > Photoshop > Load Files Into Photoshop Layers... ?

Then if you wanna make an animation sequence out of them, choose Make Frames From Layers... in the Timeline panel? Used to do gifs this way myself...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just curious, but is there something like the soundcloud of graphic design? Or the best graphic design forum?

Probably something like Behance or Dribbble, depending on which aspects of Soundcloud you liked. Fair warning, though, there's often a lot of mutual 'like' swapping and unhelpful comments (like 'nice!') that are primarily meant to encourage you to pop over to other portfolios and do the same. Others' experiences may vary!

Ultimatum

Banned
Probably something like Behance or Dribbble, depending on which aspects of Soundcloud you liked. Fair warning, though, there's often a lot of mutual 'like' swapping and unhelpful comments (like 'nice!') that are primarily meant to encourage you to pop over to other portfolios and do the same. Others' experiences may vary!

Yeah, that's what I see a lot on those sites. Not sure what else is out there.

Speaking of Dribbble, anyone got an invite they wouldn't mind letting go of? :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, maybe not something like that. Would like something more critique focused like conceptart.org.

A friend of mine is starting a hair care line and I'm doing the brand identity work on it. I finished the logo(s) and she picked the one she liked. I'm currently working on the cards, media kit, promo CDs, invoice, basically everything. I hate doing packaging though since I can never truly depict the idea I have in my head on paper and I lack the skill set to actually create my ideas with clue and scissors >:| Anyways, here's the logo I came up with. Simple but she likes it.

iC2QCNSdlVnmc.png

Flek

Banned
A friend of mine is starting a hair care line and I'm doing the brand identity work on it. I finished the logo(s) and she picked the one she liked. I'm currently working on the cards, media kit, promo CDs, invoice, basically everything. I hate doing packaging though since I can never truly depict the idea I have in my head on paper and I lack the skill set to actually create my ideas with clue and scissors >:| Anyways, here's the logo I came up with. Simple but she likes it.

iC2QCNSdlVnmc.png

Somehow The spacing Looks strange

cbox

Are those supposed to be scissors? That's incredibly typical for a haircare/salon logo. Not to mention the fact that the large S is just there , lost on the left. I'd give it another go. For the scissors to work, the s would have to be lowercase, and the same colour as the object they're stuck to.

dmshaposv

Fellow GAF Graphic designers, I need help.

I've been trying to re-work an identity I made earlier. I was not quite satisfied with it, so thought of approaching it after some time.

M9tm5.jpg

So what should I go with, concept 1 or 2? Or should I stick with the existing identity. This is all in an effort to refine up my portfolio, btw.

Concept 2... I can't make heads or tails out of 1...

Perhaps if you put a filmstrip design in that thick white line, it might seem a bit more interesting as a logo? I am assuming the logo is supposed to be an R in a Circle?

That being said, in this case, Simpler is better in my opinion. Concept 2 has a Slate like feel to it, which fits the theme.

dmshaposv

Yeah, Concept 1 evolved from a slate.

Concept 2 was an enclosed R. I did incoporate a film strip but to me it just didnt seem to work. Below are the process sketches of both identities. (Maybe someone could point out something that was working which I didn't pursue)

ihKH9.jpg

YVcKr.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Honestly man, the original is pretty strong. You might be able to have a bit of film coming out of the circle/roll behind it, but that could easily look overworked with what you already have.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yeah, Concept 1 evolved from a slate.

Concept 2 was an enclosed R. I did incoporate a film strip but to me it just didnt seem to work. Below are the process sketches of both identities. (Maybe someone could point out something that was working which I didn't pursue)

ihKH9.jpg

YVcKr.jpg

First concept is way stronger (the second one is way confusing). But I do feel the first concept could be pushed more. I would look to diner logos for inspiration. The font you are using is begging for such an exploration:

mels-gourmet-diner-big.gif

c6f58bb05d12e1aa7bfbec88be4d1352.png

Anywhoooooos...

bc113ccc7720e2933cc7f0472f1073e5.png

Doesn't have to be as crazy or colorful but you get the idea.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys have some good websites ala ABDUZEEDO for inspiration and easy to follow tutorials? I haven't made anything in a while, and I don't want to get rusty.

Novid

Banned
So im in a bit of a condunrum. I been using photoshop for years now to make logos and all that but it seems there is a move away from it - not that i like the vector style per-se but some work and some doesnt. So im been trying to get a website started, and i get the sense that the logos would look better if they went through (redone in) illistrator. But the photoshop ones look good - its just that some might see it as too "UGLY" and needs "Cuteness/Cleanless".

So for at least the website header, should i go with vector based logo or not?

dmshaposv

So im in a bit of a condunrum. I been using photoshop for years now to make logos and all that but it seems there is a move away from it - not that i like the vector style per-se but some work and some doesnt. So im been trying to get a website started, and i get the sense that the logos would look better if they went through (redone in) illistrator. But the photoshop ones look good - its just that some might see it as too "UGLY" and needs "Cuteness/Cleanless".

I'm not sure what you mean by "vector based logo".

All logos should be created with a vector based program to render them at any size. This is essential in print design. You can create logos with a raster based program like photoshop but you would be limited to web use (unless you made it at an ungodly resolution or only want to work at 72dpi).

As for "photoshop ones look good" - you can now use any number of blending techniques and/or gradients to create logos in a vector based program like illustrator.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
First concept is way stronger (the second one is way confusing). But I do feel the first concept could be pushed more. I would look to diner logos for inspiration. The font you are using is begging for such an exploration:

mels-gourmet-diner-big.gif

c6f58bb05d12e1aa7bfbec88be4d1352.png

Anywhoooooos...

bc113ccc7720e2933cc7f0472f1073e5.png

Doesn't have to be as crazy or colorful but you get the idea.

Personal taste here, but his original was definitely going for a deco/20s-40s vibe. I'd say run with it and go wild.

There is no move away from photoshop -- it's a tool, like a pencil, a compass, or anything else in a designer's box. It'd be like saying "I've noticed painters are using chalk less these days."

The point of Illustrator is to design in vector because your work can be significantly enlarged without visual degradation. It's best for line work and logos. Photoshop is raster (bitmap) and rarely look good bigger than their original size, and it's best for working with photos and photo-realistic stuff.

To answer your question, if your logo design was created in .psd, the only reason you'd need to redo them would be because you didn't design it large enough to begin with, or you plan on employing them for actual use.

Cuteness/cleanness doesn't have any bearing on your choice, and if your work is good nobody will be able to tell which tool you used to create it.

dmshaposv

Personal taste here, but his original was definitely going for a deco/20s-40s vibe. I'd say run with it and go wild.

The original did have a strong art deco vibe, and using broadway certainly seals the deal. Even though I was satisfied at the time, I just felt there was more I could do on the project.

Here is the original stationary I created. As a complete system, it worked out pretty well.

oSdaa.jpg

Maybe I should let go off the project, and work on something else. However, I felt that the art deco stylings had so much potential, which I really wanted to explore but was limited as a result of the deadline on the project.

Novid

Banned

There is no move away from photoshop -- it's a tool, like a pencil, a compass, or anything else in a designer's box. It'd be like saying "I've noticed painters are using chalk less these days."

The point of Illustrator is to design in vector because your work can be significantly enlarged without visual degradation. It's best for line work and logos. Photoshop is raster (bitmap) and rarely look good bigger than their original size, and it's best for working with photos and photo-realistic stuff.

To answer your question, if your logo design was created in .psd, the only reason you'd need to redo them would be because you didn't design it large enough to begin with, or you plan on employing them for actual use.

Cuteness/cleanness doesn't have any bearing on your choice, and if your work is good nobody will be able to tell which tool you used to create it.

Gotcha. Thanks.

cbox

Concept 2 and don't add any film reels, that's corny and amateur and not needed, the subtitle explains what it is.

Maiar_m

Is it legible?
I use my signature for my logo.

A double post again? Twice in one week, man I think that might be bannable.

Dude, if your website was responsive, it would be awesome. It's pretty good as it is, I'm just all for responsive portfolios. It kind of makes me realize I focused so much on making mine that way, I probably under-performed for the design part of it...

Dude, if your website was responsive, it would be awesome. It's pretty good as it is, I'm just all for responsive portfolios. It kind of makes me realize I focused so much on making mine that way, I probably under-performed for the design part of it...

Tell me about it :( My host suckssss but its definitely a "you get what you paid for" situation. I am moving to MediaTemple next month so hopefully that will help. Its really lame since the actual bandwidth footprint is really small.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Top Bottom