• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

Bgamer90

Banned
Simple typographic exploration with just the letterforms forming the D-PAD would work so much better. You already have 4 elements ("The", "D", "P", "A" and "D") to place in the top, down, left and right orientation.

I made the logo really fast to more so test different fonts. I definitely want the d-pad itself to show more.

The current logo for the show is old school and pretty basic and straightforward. I made it as a throwback to video game magazines from the late '80s & early '90s that had neon-like colors.

EDIT: The logo on the actual show is less blurry than this. It came out this way after uploading.
d-padlogo-1.jpg

Want to change it up and make something more modern while at the same time still maintaining a bit of a 16-bit era style.

I have thought about your idea a few months back but I couldn't come up with a way in which the title would be easy to read with the letters forming a d-pad.

get rid of all the anti-aliasing in the D-Pad font. that drop-shadow is also way too smooth. (on both the actual d-pad and the "D-PAD").
3 fonts is at least 1 too many for that little text.

Also, I find it really hard to say anything more about it with that amount of compression/blur.

Bgamer90

Banned
get rid of all the anti-aliasing in the D-Pad font. that drop-shadow is also way too smooth. (on both the actual d-pad and the "D-PAD").
3 fonts is at least 1 too many for that little text.

Also, I find it really hard to say anything more about it with that amount of compression/blur.

The logo above is actually different in the actual show and isn't as blurry. That was the only picture I had uploaded to my photobucket and it got uploaded with added effects somehow (I'm away from my computer right now as well).

I actually like the fonts but I agree that it might be a little bit too much which is part of the reason why I want to change it.

The show started out as kind of a way for me to get used to using Vegas and now that I'm finally pretty much use to it, I want to change up the show with new graphics & logos.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I made the logo really fast to more so test different fonts. I definitely want the d-pad itself to show more.

The current logo for the show is old school and pretty basic and straightforward. I made it as a throwback to video game magazines from the late '80s & early '90s that had neon-like colors.

EDIT: The logo on the actual show is less blurry than this. It came out this way after uploading.

Want to change it up and make something more modern while at the same time still maintaining a bit of a 16-bit era style.

I have thought about your idea a few months back but I couldn't come up with a way in which the title would be easy to read with the letters forming a d-pad.

Im not a fan of your color and font choice for 'the' in the title. Seems like you could have uniformed that to the rest of the title. Second thing i noticed is that the spacing between the title text and the actual d pad is pretty tight. I'd give them just a wee bit more room to breathe.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why are we critiquing the season 2 logo? Did I miss something.

Haha. I think I replicated the 16 bit video game magazine style a bit too well :)

But yeah guys, the season two logo will be gone in a few months.

This here is a very early basis of a possible season 3 logo. Trying to see where to go from here. I definitely want to make the d-pad stick out more. I might put the d-pad right next to the logo (similar to the position it is in the season 1-2 logo above).

dmshaposv

Readability is the most important part of typography. That would be horrible. Especially when people have different preferences as to what direction to read first. Some go clock-wise NESW, others read WNES since west is the closest letter when reading left to right. Keep it simple.

How can you say something is horrible without trying? whatever happened to experimentation...

If it doesn't work, he could try other options such as vertically stacking the letters and have something else to create the horizontal crossbar. Obviously it shouldn't look like a too much of a cross, but reversing the type and playing with the positive/negative spaces may give interesting results. You can't just imagine how something will look, you have to try. If it fails, move on.

I'm all for simplicity, but sometimes the logo you think is simple and working may have been done before. I always scour the net, check out design blogs to see if something similar has been done before and then do my own thing.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
considering how angular and flat everything is, the black drop shadow sticks out. if you insist on showing separation between the back and foreground, make the shadow hard with transparency. i think it'll look cleaner that way.

Bgamer90

Banned
Was playing around and I think I found a way to incorporate the d-pad with the text ("d-pad"). Definitely not done (no where close) but at least I have a new idea to try and work with. The shape of the "D" in the font is very similar to the buttons on the Playstation d-pad. Going to experiment with it.

And thanks for the feedback so far guys.

.GqueB.

Banned
That dpad is super distracting but I like what you did to incorporate it into the type. I would dial it back a bit like you did the original and take out that stroke. You weren't that far off with the original layout. It only needed tweaking.

Kikarian

Coming up with a new logo for my web show. Made this as a basis. Season 3 doesn't start until the beginning of 2013 so I have time to change it around / make it better.
I feel that the purple on the sides is the thing that is very distracting and seems like it shouldn't be there. I would change it to a different color and a pattern inside (Maybe?)

dmshaposv

Was playing around and I think I found a way to incorporate the d-pad with the text ("d-pad"). Definitely not done (no where close) but at least I have a new idea to try and work with. The shape of the "D" in the font is very similar to the buttons on the Playstation d-pad. Going to experiment with it.

And thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Get rid of the the d-pad symbol completely. Just keep the logotype with the arrow in the d pointing left.

It works because you essentially get the feel of a d pad button in the "d". The arrow pointing left wont be confused for a play icon due to direction and heck even as a play icon it works.

JaseMath

My buddy and I are trying to get a YouTube channel going where we review a variety of things in two minutes or less - games, movies, comics, etc.

Quickly made a logo for the (eventual) intro. Looking for some feedback. Thoughts?

SrewH.jpg

cbox

It looks like REOIEWS in two, and the two minutes doesn't really make sense. I can see what you were trying to do, but it doesn't necessarily work. Keep at it though,

As for the dpad logo - all logos need to be made in black and white before adding in any other graphical elements. When a logo is that early in the process, the other elements will ultimately take away from the logo and will prevent you from nailing a great design, mainly because you will be too worried about the other shit surrounding it ( as I've seen people mention already regarding the purple). Finalize the logo as it would look on a letter head or napkin first, then add in your jazz.

JaseMath

I think maybe if I reverse out the minutes/clock color, it would read better. Also, my tracking is off ibetween IN and TWO.

Bgamer90

Banned
That dpad is super distracting but I like what you did to incorporate it into the type. I would dial it back a bit like you did the original and take out that stroke. You weren't that far off with the original layout. It only needed tweaking.

Yeah I'm going to mess with it. The picture was made when I realized how much the "D" in the font looked like actual buttons. Made the d-pad itself bold in the picture to simply test how well the "D" fit it to the d-pad to make it look like buttons.

I feel that the purple on the sides is the thing that is very distracting and seems like it shouldn't be there. I would change it to a different color and a pattern inside (Maybe?)

I kind of want to keep a neon color (16 bit era video game magazine) but I'll see how other colors look...

Get rid of the the d-pad symbol completely. Just keep the logotype with the arrow in the d pointing left.

It works because you essentially get the feel of a d pad button in the "d". The arrow pointing left wont be confused for a play icon due to direction and heck even as a play icon it works.

Interesting. In the opening title sequence maybe I can have the d-pad scroll from the right but then have the left button on the d-pad stay on the logo (to make the 2nd D in "D-PAD") as the rest of the d-pad moves off of the screen. I'll test it out.

My buddy and I are trying to get a YouTube channel going where we review a variety of things in two minutes or less - games, movies, comics, etc.

Quickly made a logo for the (eventual) intro. Looking for some feedback. Thoughts?

SrewH.jpg

I like it though I would make the clock gray and then make the inside of the clock the same color as the letters (the same shade of black) so that it's easier to tell that the clock is the "V".

I made this really fast as an example. (Hope you don't mind):

...But yeah just make the edges sharper/cleaner (obviously) and I think that would work better.

Bgamer90

Banned
As for the dpad logo - all logos need to be made in black and white before adding in any other graphical elements. When a logo is that early in the process, the other elements will ultimately take away from the logo and will prevent you from nailing a great design, mainly because you will be too worried about the other shit surrounding it ( as I've seen people mention already regarding the purple). Finalize the logo as it would look on a letter head or napkin first, then add in your jazz.

Yeah good point. I usually do just start plain in black and white as you said but I keep making the logo with a possible opening title sequence in mind which is why I made it with a background/colors. Trying to test multiple things.

But yeah, I should just back up and do things one at a time, especially since I'm not in a rush.

JaseMath

I feel like there's a missed opportunity with the D-Pad being incorporated in a more clever way. Perhaps something like this...? Keep in mind this is really, really rough - just a visual to go with the idea. Hope you don't mind.

cd1CA.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
I find it very funny that you came up with that since I was messing around and found a new way to possibly incorporate the d-pad into the text (to see if there were better ways):

...we both came up with using the d and the p (in pretty much the same way). I was about to come up ways to clean it up but you helped speed up the process. You were reading my mind.

cd1CA.jpg

How can you say something is horrible without trying? whatever happened to experimentation...

If it doesn't work, he could try other options such as vertically stacking the letters and have something else to create the horizontal crossbar. Obviously it shouldn't look like a too much of a cross, but reversing the type and playing with the positive/negative spaces may give interesting results. You can't just imagine how something will look, you have to try. If it fails, move on.

I'm all for simplicity, but sometimes the logo you think is simple and working may have been done before. I always scour the net, check out design blogs to see if something similar has been done before and then do my own thing.

You don't have to put it on paper to know if it's gonna be good or bad.

cbox

Getting close (I think)...

Hey guys it's a good attempt, but I'd ditch that idea - just doesn't look good in my eyes. Looks too complicated especially since it's a 16bit era logo. I whipped this up quickly, and was the first thing i thought of when I saw your initial design.

EXCGR.png

You might be able to somehow incorporate the dpad into the dash of the d and the pad, though that might look too off aswell. As far as your animation, you can always simulate the dpad buttons clicking with some accompanying sounds to go along with it, could be cool.

.GqueB.

Banned
Getting close (I think)...

I think you're getting farther and farther away man. The first one you had was fine save for the honkin d-pad in the back ground. This was almost there as well:

dpads3test.jpg

All you really had to do was dial down the prominence of the d-pad and finesse the way the arrows worked. Now you're mixing all sorts of fonts and trying to force the d-pad into the actual type when all you had to really do was incorporate it so it isn't distracting.

I think something like Convenient box's solution is fine. Maybe not all 3D and italicized but the way the d-pad is incorporated is very simple and clean. You're redesigning when all you had to do was tweak imo.

Hey guys it's a good attempt, but I'd ditch that idea - just doesn't look good in my eyes. Looks too complicated especially since it's a 16bit era logo. I whipped this up quickly, and was the first thing i thought of when I saw your initial design.

EXCGR.png

You might be able to somehow incorporate the dpad into the dash of the d and the pad, though that might look too off aswell. As far as your animation, you can always simulate the dpad buttons clicking with some accompanying sounds to go along with it, could be cool.

this guy better get paid.

Bgamer90

Banned
You're redesigning when all you had to do was tweak imo.

I think you might be right. I like the recent suggestions and convenientbox's logo.

I just came up with this:

...After I make it more "3D" and change some things around like spacing and boldness (and see how it looks with color), I think that it will look good. I do like my very first one though in terms of font; just had to find a way to make the d-pad stick out more.

Maybe I'm doing too much though lol. Since this (the pic above) is the best logo that incorporates the D and the P that I can think of so far, I'll try doing some other more basic logos (similar to the first one I made) to see how they'll look.

The more designs the better since I can try to incorporate the best things from all of them together into one. And like I said before, I have a whole lot of time left. Have about 8 more episodes left for the current season before I want to start season 3 (in the beginning of 2013).

And thanks again guys for helping out/giving feedback.

scorcho

EXCGR.png

i love it when i see drop shadows used subtly. you've a fine eye, sir!

SteeloDMZ

Banned

SrewH.jpg

I like the colors and font, but the stopwatch should be the O in TWO, not the V.

scorcho

not my best work, but occasionally my boss will ask me to create quick banners for the members' section of our site to highlight new content. couldn't spend much time on them, but i think they came out okay, though not without some cheese :D on hover of the hero slider on the site, a transparent-png vignette lays on top with a tiny 'click to read more' on the lower right.

hotelreg2.png

scenarioplanning.jpg

i got lazy with the third line of text and didn't roughen it up enough to match the above two. looks too clean for me, but i think i'm the only one that notices stuff like this.

Bgamer90

Banned
I like the colors and font, but the stopwatch should be the O in TWO, not the V.

That would definitely work better with his current font colors.

Anyways, went back to basic and straightforward to test things out. Already had this logo in Vegas so it didn't take long for me to change/mess with it. Need to mess with the shadows in the d-pad itself.

malfcn

Maybe I should drop a logo I have been working on in here..I posted it once before..

JpzjR.jpg

qfd6Q.jpg

It's for hockey. The site would be "digitalcrease" - for goalies..

Bgamer90

Banned
Going to mess around with colors for the opening title sequence and clean it up some more but I think I'm going to go with this. Pretty simple and incorporates the last "D" in the d-pad.

I also like it since the logo created a "mini-logo" that I can use (e.g.: in the corner of the video during the show)...

It reminds me of the logo of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption":

pti.jpg

Mdk7

I feel like there's a missed opportunity with the D-Pad being incorporated in a more clever way. Perhaps something like this...? Keep in mind this is really, really rough - just a visual to go with the idea. Hope you don't mind.

cd1CA.jpg

amazing job here, i love it!

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah I liked it too and wanted to mess around more with the d and the p in that fashion but then I found this. Decided to go back to my "D button" idea.

JaseMath

Yeah I liked it too and wanted to mess around more with the d and the p in that fashion but then I found this. Decided to go back to my "D button" idea.

:O Wut

Honestly, I'm kind of liking this. It's simple and keeps the original vision of your design intact without hitting people over the head with the d-pad graphic. If it was me, I'd shrink down the d-pad graphic - maybe throw it upper-right to the D since the angles fit together, similar to what you'd see in a number squared/cubed.

Kikarian

EXCGR.png

For me this one really beats the rest. It's simple design makes it so much easier to look at. It also doesn't rely on the d-pad arrows.

ReRixo

Banned
What do you guys think about this as a logo?

It's for a student entrepreneurs group, but I feel those words are too long to really incorporate into a logo. The colours aren't significant right now, but just imagine the blue/white logo over some cliche sky with clouds sort of image.

For me this one really beats the rest. It's simple design makes it so much easier to look at. It also doesn't rely on the d-pad arrows.

It also has more of the late 80s / early 90s vibe. Not to say it hits the nail on the head, but the current d-pad graphic doesn't remind me of those covers at all.

I don't actually think old game mags used the neon saved-by-the-bell colors on COVERS much, maybe in the ads within. If I remember right, the covers weren't that different than they are now—game art with a white magazine logo slapped on top.

The current iteration feels very late PSX era.

It's for a student entrepreneurs group, but I feel those words are too long to really incorporate into a logo. The colours aren't significant right now, but just imagine the blue/white logo over some cliche sky with clouds sort of image.

It definitely 'looks like a logo', but it hasn't got anything to do with anything—has it? I mean, I see the 's' and 'e', but beyond that it doesn't carry an ambitious or or motivating vibe that I usually associate with entrepreneurial spirit. Like a positivity that can be associated with being at 'square one' with a bright future ahead. It's just kind of 'there'.

White over clouds feels kinda financial or medical to me, for some reason, by the way.

Sorry for the double post.

.GqueB.

Banned

Right now it's just kind of a mark. You can do something like this but you're going to really need to establish some sort of type treatment so people actually know what this thing is.

Bgamer90

Banned

It also has more of the late 80s / early 90s vibe. Not to say it hits the nail on the head, but the current d-pad graphic doesn't remind me of those covers at all.

I really really like Convenient box's logo but it doesn't really fit in with the overall presentation of the show itself (at least what I currently have in mind).

I already talked to music artists for theme/cues to use for the show. The music combined with the overall format of the show has a laid back vibe.

Convenient box's logo (in my opinion) is more fit for a show like the present day "Electric Playground" where things are fast paced with fast cuts and fast music cues (a TV news like format). I think the font being italicized plays a big part in me feeling that way.

But yeah, my show is laid back and easy going. More casual.

I don't actually think old game mags used the neon saved-by-the-bell colors on COVERS much, maybe in the ads within. If I remember right, the covers weren't that different than they are now—game art with a white magazine logo slapped on top.

Yeah most of the covers didn't have "Saved by the Bell" neon colors. Many articles/ads within the magazines did though. As a little kid I used to read my cousin's gaming magazines a lot when going over his house.

Here are a few pics I found of gaming mags during the late '80s and early '90s (pretty funny):

The current iteration feels very late PSX era.

I wanted to make things more modern but still keep a bit of a retro feel. While I wasn't necessarily going for a "late PSX/Dreamcast" look, I definitely see where you are coming from (boldness of text).

Bgamer90

Banned

The word "student" and "entrepreneurs" has "ent". Maybe mess with finding a way to make the two words connect with the "ent" while still looking nice and being simple to read.

Lennington

Neo Member
That would definitely work better with his current font colors.

Anyways, went back to basic and straightforward to test things out. Already had this logo in Vegas so it didn't take long for me to change/mess with it. Need to mess with the shadows in the d-pad itself.

Bgamer, out of those four you posted the first one is the best. The third and fourth are way too busy and the d-pad looks less like an actual d-pad.

My pro suggestion is to step away from the computer entirely. You're making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself, you can't translate ideas as quickly on a computer as you can on pen & paper (unless you've a graphics tablet of course). Take an hour a day for a few days to just sketch every idea that pops into your head. Don't hold anything back no matter how stupid it seems or if you think it has been done before. "But I can't draw" isn't an excuse, it's a freaking d-pad!

Defuser

I need your help gaf, my boss ask me to design for her a free gift poster ad such as a free TV if you spend over $xxxx.etc but the poster has to have victorian/vintage design to it. Can anybody link to me some poster/flyer/ad references to it? It also to be simple ,not so extravagant since it will detract the main point of it.

Top Bottom