• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

yo dude, 2012 called and wanted to let you know that it was, in fact, 2012.

also, your logo doesn't work on a black background.
the logo itself is fine though.

you don't live off of this, do you?

Good sir whatever do you mean ;)
thanks

I know the logo and links don't work on the first slide. The point is to get people who first visit to notice the main image and text first. It's just to convey a clean opening page and then reveal the logo and links. As you can see below the logo isn't flat black because I just wanted a hint of it when they first arrive but a lot of my friends don't like it so I am definitely changing it I just have to find the time to make a new concept home screen.

Yeah I live off it very easily. Why, does it not look like I should?

Maiar_m

Tell me about it :( My host suckssss but its definitely a "you get what you paid for" situation. I am moving to MediaTemple next month so hopefully that will help. Its really lame since the actual bandwidth footprint is really small.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Damn, sorry, I didn't mean "responsive" that way (though it is also true in the other way ^^).

A responsive website is one that adapts to any screen or device, regardless of their resolution or available pixels. Think of it as your desktop, tablet and mobile websites, all in one.

You've got the adaptable websites, build with fixed width (in pixels) that change under certain terms (let's say if less than 480px are available in the device's width for example). You've got the fluid ones, all built with relative widths (in percentages), so they'll bend and shrink and shrink and shrink along with the device's available width... And then there's responsive, which is a combination of the two.

You build with percentages, and when you think your content doesn't look good enough / isn't readable enough when shrinking available size, you change it. Here's my portfolio, squeeze your browser's window and see how it changes, no matter what page you're at. You'll see what I'm talking about.

It's a challange for designers though, because you can't just build one psd and be done with it. This adaptabilty has to be constantly present. Actually, these projects are often built from the smallest possible size upwards.

Yeah I live off it very easily. Why, does it not look like I should?

your work is fine man, albeit feels a bit dated.
it's just i haven't heard about any of your clients is all.

Damn, sorry, I didn't mean "responsive" that way (though it is also true in the other way ^^).

A responsive website is one that adapts to any screen or device, regardless of their resolution or available pixels. Think of it as your desktop, tablet and mobile websites, all in one.

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2011/01/12/guidelines-for-responsive-web-design/

here you go ;) I think if he reads this link he'll understand.

Well all the clients on the site currently are pretty dang old. I think the newest one on there is actually from early 2011. I just haven't had the time to update it in forever. My work used to revolve around bringing in bigger clients like http://www.navelier.com/(This was re-designed much to it's detriment by the IT guy 2 years ago. I promise my version was much better but of course every designer says that.) and http://www.slimjim.com/ but that was when I worked for a agency. Since then I parted ways to focus on my own stuff and not be in the office for 80+ hour work weeks. I just don't have the time to manage big clients anymore so they are mostly small time. The majority of my work revolves around:

https://www.understand.com/

Which I am going to be redoing again in about 2 months. Anyway sorry for the long expo. What kind of work do you do?

You've got the adaptable websites, build with fixed width (in pixels) that change under certain terms (let's say if less than 480px are available in the device's width for example). You've got the fluid ones, all built with relative widths (in percentages), so they'll bend and shrink and shrink and shrink along with the device's available width... And then there's responsive, which is a combination of the two.

You build with percentages, and when you think your content doesn't look good enough / isn't readable enough when shrinking available size, you change it. Here's my portfolio, squeeze your browser's window and see how it changes, no matter what page you're at. You'll see what I'm talking about.

It's a challange for designers though, because you can't just build one psd and be done with it. This adaptabilty has to be constantly present. Actually, these projects are often built from the smallest possible size upwards.

Oh man I am dumb. Yeah I get exactly what you mean I always referred to them as adaptable(which is something completely different). Me and my brother(who worked on it with me) were just talking about that a couple weeks ago that we really need to update the site. We basically built the whole thing in a weekend because it was right when I left the agency and I had a meeting with a client that wanted to see our work. So we just basically threw it all together.

Oh and your site looks great by the way.

Maiar_m

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2011/01/12/guidelines-for-responsive-web-design/

here you go ;) I think if he reads this link he'll understand.

Smashing always has the right of it indeed.

Oh man I am dumb. Yeah I get exactly what you mean I always referred to them as adaptable(which is something completely different). Me and my brother(who worked on it with me) were just talking about that a couple weeks ago that we really need to update the site. We basically built the whole thing in a weekend because it was right when I left the agency and I had a meeting with a client that wanted to see our work. So we just basically threw it all together.

Oh and your site looks great by the way.

Yeah, it's a long and painstaking ordeal, responsiveness. But you'll manage when you find time to get on it, your desktop design seems to allow for it easily. And thanks!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dude, if your website was responsive, it would be awesome. It's pretty good as it is, I'm just all for responsive portfolios. It kind of makes me realize I focused so much on making mine that way, I probably under-performed for the design part of it...

+1 adding a responsive portfolio. responsive/adaptive elements make sense here, and should be simple to add considering the few elements you'll need to reflow or hide.

as for the rest of your site - it feels what i see in a lot of otherwise interesting Wordpress themes - strong visual elements that are neutered by lazy font selection and odd spacing/layout decisions. it feels unfinished, which i suppose it still is considering you're still working on it. have you considered adding any navigation for your main slider? also, you may want to revisit your code a bit as i can 'scroll' the slider div using my mouse wheel and nudge it up and down by 20 or so pixels using my mousewheel. for a split second i thought that was a navigation feature until it didn't scroll any further.

What kind of work do you do?

Banks, Big Tobacco, Sony Playstation; mostly.

But please let's just admire the fact that I said your work was dated without actually knowing it was about 2 years old.

I promise I'll show off some of my work too some day instead of just being a dick to others about theirs.

+1 adding a responsive portfolio. responsive/adaptive elements make sense here, and should be simple to add considering the few elements you'll need to reflow or hide.

as for the rest of your site - it feels what i see in a lot of otherwise interesting Wordpress themes - strong visual elements that are neutered by lazy font selection and odd spacing/layout decisions. it feels unfinished, which i suppose it still is considering you're still working on it. have you considered adding any navigation for your main slider? also, you may want to revisit your code a bit as i can 'scroll' the slider div using my mouse wheel and nudge it up and down by 20 or so pixels using my mousewheel. for a split second i thought that was a navigation feature until it didn't scroll any further.

Yeah those are all great points and you can see a lot of "lazy" decisions. Even building it on wordpress was really lame but we just didn't have the time to get something legit done. I'm sure you guys know how it is. Working on your own stuff is always the most time consuming and never seems to be feasible.

I love this one. Great stuff.

Mescaline, what do you think about www.understand.com right off the bat? What would you change? I made the update a little while ago but there are some features that are going to require a bit of a redesign and I want to make sure I get any issues done along with it.

I hear ya loud and clear.
I made a conscious decision not to work on any pro bono project, not even my own, and save all my actual creativity for projects that pay actual money.

thanks man! change the 3 to a 2 if you want to see it pre-client feedback.

No kidding. Working on your own stuff is creatively taxing cause as designers were so damn picky. The clients must have had good feedback cause even though v2 looks really good I like all the improvements in 3.

The Chef

Stuff looks great. But damn bro, you say Bruce's work looks dated? Those navigation arrows on the left and abstract background are straight from 1993. I'd rework those asap.

It's coming back, man. Just wait. Also, 1993 would make it Retro.
I called red way before Angelina Jolie's Oscars dress.

Love this. Color scheme and debth are just fantastic.

thanks man.

you don't live off of this, do you?
picking up my new BMW first thing in the morning on monday. all paid in jpg munniez. u mad bro? ;)

Maiar_m

It's coming back, man. Just wait. Also, 1993 would make it Retro.
I called red way before Angelina Jolie's Oscars dress.
Yeah, I agree it's "a look". You see fashion / trendy brands use that aesthetic a lot these days, asos.com or topman, for instance. It appeals to the target audience I assume?

The Chef

picking up my new BMW first thing in the morning on monday. all paid in jpg munniez. u mad bro? ;)

Just politely pointing out there is no need to be a punk about other people's work. I'm sure your an all-star in the design world but there is no need to be a dick about it and question whether someone can possibly make money doing their work. Really lame bro.

Just politely pointing out there is no need to be a punk about other people's work. I'm sure your an all-star in the design world but there is no need to be a dick about it and question whether someone can possibly make money doing their work. Really lame bro.

I already pointed out that I only asked him because I have literally never heard of any of his clients. I didn't mean anything by it.

And we all know that BruceLeeRoy's Gaming OTs are the stuff of legends so obviously no one is doubting his skills.

scorcho

Yeah those are all great points and you can see a lot of "lazy" decisions. Even building it on wordpress was really lame but we just didn't have the time to get something legit done. I'm sure you guys know how it is. Working on your own stuff is always the most time consuming and never seems to be feasible.
i've been there many a times and share the love/hate relationship with Wordpress. glad to know you're going to be updating it soon, though!

Mescaline, what do you think about www.understand.com right off the bat? What would you change? I made the update a little while ago but there are some features that are going to require a bit of a redesign and I want to make sure I get any issues done along with it.
the overall design is clean, but the text is wonky in some spots - ie: Animation Libraries header doesn't line up to Deep Dives in the next column. i think the (TM) is pushing down Deep Dives in that instance. also, the 'Live Chat by BoldChat' text is also completely misaligned on the top of the footer.

my personal preference, i generally loathe 'learn more' or 'click here' buttons or links - moreso the larger they get. there are better ways to communicate continued navigation, especially when dealing with distinct headers and a focused paragraph of copy. i've got into many mini-arguments with my boss, copywriters and clients about that.

I am really not good at looking at any sort of organs or blood, real or not but I'll do my best :)

- good god the logo amirite?
- put a little phone icon next to the phone number
- the menu in the top right is too similar to the main navigation
- the main navigation is a little too subtle
- the huge image is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. light backdrop on the little video widget perhaps?
- the knee and shoulder links are positioned in a way that suggest they will merely change the image above them and not go to a new site right away
- getting a huge kick out of the random handwritten font in the middle. never back down off of that one ever.
- the learn more links a bit too subtle, again.
- brilliant footer but change the facebook and twitter buttons to stock ones.
- the loupe in the search bar clashes with the rest of the site.

sorry it took me so long to answer, missed that post.

also, what scorcho said is really interesting about continued reading and I am very, very curious what other solutions people have come up with because I feel the same way as he does.

Oh god. Sometimes the money isn't enough. Your pain is shared, rest assured.

*stares at ground, nods in silence*

The Chef

I already pointed out that I only asked him because I have literally never heard of any of his clients. I didn't mean anything by it.

And we all know that BruceLeeRoy's Gaming OTs are the stuff of legends so obviously no one is doubting his skills.

So saying "2012 called and they want you to know its 2012." and "you don't do this for a living." are just usual critiques for design? You sound like a huuuuge self righteous douchebag on top of throwing names out like you do design work for Coke and Playstation and whatever.

Your a funny dude.

So saying "2012 called and they want you to know its 2012." and "you don't do this for a living." are just usual critiques for design? You sound like a huuuuge self righteous douchebag on top of throwing names out like you do design work for Coke and Playstation and whatever.

Your a funny dude.

all of what you said is true, except for the way you spelled "you're".
I am a gigantic asshole with an unbearable temper but I try my best to reel it in. it's my biggest work in progress. I mean well, I promise!

And while Coke is not a client I work for, the other one definitely is.

scorcho

also, what scorcho said is really interesting about continued reading and I am very, very curious what other solutions people have come up with because I feel the same way as he does.

there have been times where i've been given copy to flow in with literally 10 or more 'click here for more' or 'click here to download' links after a couple of sentences of text. at that point i'll go back to our copywriter or my boss and we'll have a pleasant discussion about how it can be rewritten so that the link is worked in organically into the text, obviating the need for that repeating, hideous exclamation at the end.

sometimes i'll just rewrite it myself because i'm fed up with the sheer denseness of what they gave. i've never been called out on it yet.

in terms of design elements on pages, i'll try to make the header the obvious 'hit point' to extend navigation. you can do this cheaply by adding a '>' at the end and making it an <a href> element, or more subtly via rollover animations that integrate well with your design. alternatively, you can make the entire header and copy box the rollover and hit point to the next section, but this brings up a usability issue as it then becomes harder for someone to select and copy text from that section.

there have been times where i've been given copy to flow in with literally 10 or more 'click here for more' or 'click here to download' links after a couple of sentences of text. at that point i'll go back to our copywriter or my boss and we'll have a pleasant discussion about how it can be rewritten so that the link is worked in organically into the text, obviating the need for that repeating, hideous exclamation at the end.

sometimes i'll just rewrite it myself because i'm fed up with the sheer denseness of what they gave. i've never been called out on it yet.

in terms of design elements on pages, i'll try to make the header the obvious 'hit point' to extend navigation. you can do this cheaply by adding a '>' in the text copy, or more subtly via rollover animations that integrate well with your design.

That makes an awful lot of sense.

So, what if it's a blog? I feel that people are so accustomed to it that it's hard to forgo giving it the big ole "read more"-button treatment.

scorcho

sometimes it's unavoidable. you can't get around a bunch of download links for instance, or a list of links to XYZ, but at that point i'd rather slap that within a UL list and blockquote it to emphasize it in the copy. some CSS magic later and it looks very pleasant.

for me it depends on context. on blog-esque homepages, i've made entire blocks of copy (no more than a few sentences wrapped in a 200-300px div) a hit point with an obvious rollover as the design warranted. on some you can just get away with having the link integrated subtly in the copy and have it just as that.
for others i just rephrase 'click here for more!' to something more relevant so that it doesn't become a murder of repetition.

'Read More Entries'
'View our Daily Produce'
'Browse More Pictures'

etc.

then it comes to styling it in such a way so that it doesn't look like a repetitive eyesore.

I am really not good at looking at any sort of organs or blood, real or not but I'll do my best :)

- good god the logo amirite?
- put a little phone icon next to the phone number
- the menu in the top right is too similar to the main navigation
- the main navigation is a little too subtle
- the huge image is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. light backdrop on the little video widget perhaps?
- the knee and shoulder links are positioned in a way that suggest they will merely change the image above them and not go to a new site right away
- getting a huge kick out of the random handwritten font in the middle. never back down off of that one ever.
- the learn more links a bit too subtle, again.
- brilliant footer but change the facebook and twitter buttons to stock ones.
- the loupe in the search bar clashes with the rest of the site.

sorry it took me so long to answer, missed that post.

*stares at ground, nods in silence*

How bad is that logo! Non-negotiable too. I brought it up at a meeting and got looks from the staff like "you ain't winning this battle". Dreadful stuff. How much does it suck putting a lot of effort into a design and then slapping crap like that on. I actually kept the logo layer off the whole time I designed that site.

Real great feedback from you and Scorcho. I would get more in-depth but I'm on my lame phone. Definitely bringing the continued reading thing up in our next meeting.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Your a funny dude.

I'm with this guy.

And I don't want to pile on or anything, but those "you don't do this for a living?" comments make me never, ever want to post here.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
On topic:

My current client is asking for the source files for a pitch deck I made for their startup so he can edit it on the fly. Obviously that wasn't negotiated beforehand, so now it's ::aaawkwaaard:::

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm with this guy.

And I don't want to pile on or anything, but those "you don't do this for a living?" comments make me never, ever want to post here.

Pfft as long as you are not working for fucking huge clients, there is really no need to post here it seems.

Pleebs.

In fact you should probably format your entire hard drive and start using Linux if not every 2nd billboard in your city, nay, country was designed by you because you failed a designer and you don't even deserve to run an OS that gives you the illusion you could ever make up for being shitty at your job.

Seriously guys. I was pretty drunk yesterday. I said some mean things. I said some things that were taken much harsher than I meant them. I also said some fairly nice things and even offered some useful (I hope!) feedback. I am sorry. Cut me some slack.

Also, I feel this is probably the right venue to tell you, PantherLotus, that back when we had animated avatars, yours was my favorite and I spent wat too much time staring at it. I don't regret a thing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^thanks bro, I feel the same way. I can't let go of it, and I plan to continually degrade the image over the years until I've made my point.

Pfft as long as you are not working for fucking huge clients, there is really no need to post here it seems.

Pleebs.

I know you're being sarcastic here, but I just want to throw out some support to the amateurs out there. There are so sooo many quality GDs. Find a niche and find a market and work every single day at it. I've been doing it off and on for 10 years and I'm still a fucking terrible hack. I will say there's a lot of money at the bottom of the trough if you have to.

I'm with this guy.

Douchiness is why I stay the fuck away from ALL graphic design related forums and communities in general.

I love what I do for the most part, but the fucking cattiness, shit-talking and backstabbing in the design world is absurd. Waaaaay too many people who fail to understand that just because they would do something differently doesn't mean it's some terrible eyesore.

xxracerxx

I know you're being sarcastic here, but I just want to throw out some support to the amateurs out there. There are so sooo many quality GDs. Find a niche and find a market and work every single day at it. I've been doing it off and on for 10 years and I'm still a fucking terrible hack. I will say there's a lot of money at the bottom of the trough if you have to.

I was being sarcastic as you know, and think that guy was being a huge ass, even if he was drunk.

Seriously guys. I was pretty drunk yesterday. I said some mean things. I said some things that were taken much harsher than I meant them. I also said some fairly nice things and even offered some useful (I hope!) feedback. I am sorry. Cut me some slack.
Meh, it just makes me not respect your opinion when people are huge turds to others.

EDIT: I am sure we will all get over it though.

Meh, it just makes me not respect your opinion when people are huge turds to others.

Then try to respect my opinion that you should probably learn to differentiate between someone's shitty personality and their professional opinion.

Trust me, I know I am literally the worst person ever and Even I feel uncomfortable re-reading yesterday's conversations but I think even though I am apparently trying my hardest to ruin it, my work speaks for itself.

xxracerxx

Then try to respect my opinion that you should probably learn to differentiate between someone's shitty personality and their professional opinion.

Trust me, I know I am literally the worst person ever and Even I feel uncomfortable re-reading yesterday's conversations but I think even though I am apparently trying my hardest to ruin it, my work speaks for itself.

A shitty personality can get in the way of a professional opinion very easily, and in in this instance that was the case.

Flek

Banned
hmm i have a friend who wants to get into design and asked me to teach her some stuff but here is the deal : she doesn´t know to much about either the mac, photoshop or design itself.

So i wan´t to teach her some basics - but where to start? Typography? Photoshop tutorials? And do you have some good resources for design students or whatever maybe even with some kind of exercises she can do?

Maiar_m

hmm i have a friend who wants to get into design and asked me to teach her some stuff but here is the deal : she doesn´t know to much about either the mac, photoshop or design itself.

So i wan´t to teach her some basics - but where to start? Typography? Photoshop tutorials? And do you have some good resources for design students or whatever maybe even with some kind of exercises she can do?
Ok, I'm no designer (I'm a front end dev) but you know how it is, sometimes budget is low and you've got to pretend. Anyway.

I learnt on PC. I started with photoshop tutorials in part, but real project mostly, using photoshop and indesign. Learn by doing is the best way to go, she'll learn more from your feedback than she would from anything else. So I'm saying show her the basics, give her a few "missions", and that's how it should work.

If she literally knows nothing, I'd say she's best off learning how to 'play' with whatever tickles her fancy for a while, just to see if she even enjoys visual problem-solving. I'd also encourage you to push her toward self-motivation, which may or may not even be appropriate advice in her case. But many people get a passing fancy and the 'teacher' drags them by the wrist until they lose interest, with neither party benefiting in any tangible way.

Ask yourself: did anyone 'teach' you? Maybe so! But this was certainly not the case for me. Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a tangent.

Edit: To actually answer the question, ha&#8212;my advice would be typography fundamentals and grids.

cbox

Tell her not to get into the industry just because its popular. She needs some sort of talent to be any good. Perhaps painting, drawing, etc. Otherwise she'll just be like 90% of designers I encounter daily. Misinformed, and at the mercy of the latest trend or tutorial. If she is really interested, get her taking photos, studying architecture, nature and then the fundamentals like grid layout and colour theory. Don't give her the assumption that the Mac is necessary for design, its bad advice.

Sounds really flakey. I honestly say if she just decided "yo imma get into design" that she just leave it at that. If design is not your passion you are wasting your time.
What field of design does she want to get into anyway?

Also, as the others have said, a Mac is in no way necessary. As much as I hate it, I do most of my work on my Gaming PC.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Art classes to flex creativity

2. Photoshop introduction -- show her the pointer, introduce the concept of layers, and assign her some basic stuff, like cutting stuff out of a photo, changing colors, edits, stuff like that. The minutiae of photo editing is a fantastic way to learn the basics of how to use photoshop.

3. Tell her she's in the wrong industry.

.GqueB.

Banned
I know this conversation was dismissed as some sort of drunken tirade but since when do your past clients actually matter when showing your portfolio? I've never heard of such a thing. I mean if you did an amazing campaign that is well know then of course that would be relevant but simply having known clients doesn't actually matter. It's all about the work and if the work is shit then the client doesn't help that. The most interesting work I've seen in this thread recently was from this post:

some work I've done for a student committee at my university:

f52915396e8d1ae73acc98893068a1b2.png

d2fabe74d49d13cf6eb8b1823e841d16.png

9d9214fe7c3e1b0e88a1dbbf5e4dfad3.jpg

74acad235e5f00f9a1822a5715e96442.png

brochure for my programme:
45c156157c4a346c1270dd0d3795463e.jpg

95d30e8fb50086556f84a8e67b259f2c.jpg

e047a6ab2fdd5d97c42980d4a4e7e2fc.jpg

And that was just some stuff he did for his school.

Maybe this is a product of where I live but I've never had a conversation with friends where we were name dropping clients. Strange to me.

cbox

That's called working off your ego. I work with major Canadian and US clients and have designs viewed my millions yearly but I don't boast. If I had a conversation with someone who started name bombing and who had a smug attitude, I'd end it. Sure you can drop names of clients, but who knows which parts they worked on? For all we know he could be doing banner ads and marketing material, bottom of the barrel shit.

BMWs, big clients, booze, pretty sites, functional sites, ergonomical interfaces.
They all go together huh!

I've made this logo for one of those 'batch' competitions, but the guy was unresponsive so it was cancelled. I've never got any feedback on it.
Wasted my time drawing the horse on paper and wasn't satisfied with how the type turned out, but didn't try to change either.

dmshaposv

Coming up with a new logo for my web show. Made this as a basis. Season 3 doesn't start until the beginning of 2013 so I have time to change it around / make it better.

Simple typographic exploration with just the letterforms forming the D-PAD would work so much better. You already have 4 elements ("The", "D", "P", "A" and "D") to place in the top, down, left and right orientation.

Simple typographic exploration with just the letterforms forming the D-PAD would work so much better. You already have 4 elements ("The", "D", "P", "A" and "D") to place in the top, down, left and right orientation.

Readability is the most important part of typography. That would be horrible. Especially when people have different preferences as to what direction to read first. Some go clock-wise NESW, others read WNES since west is the closest letter when reading left to right. Keep it simple.

.GqueB.

Banned
Readability is the most important part of typography. That would be horrible. Especially when people have different preferences as to what direction to read first. Some go clock-wise NESW, others read WNES since west is the closest letter when reading left to right. Keep it simple.

Agreed, but I do think there are ways to incorporate the dpad into the type treatment instead of having it sit in the background like that. It's a little distracting.

Top Bottom