• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Right, but I guess what I am trying to say is that Starfield is literally the one setting the bar.... it is top of the line now. Those crazy bastards actually managed to upgrade the graphics from last year. The city especially looks way better with way more detailed and better lighting.

I honestly never expected Bethesda to outdo the best Sony studios and while yes, character rendering horizon is still king, starfield is just in another league with not just visuals but also just the ambition they have in gameplay systems and scope. its insane how generic its made everything else feel and how Fable didnt really outclass it despite looking straight up CG.

Whats your opinion on this fable gif? apparently its realtime gameplay captured on a series x.

SuOLL.gif
Fable looked really good, the detail on that big guy was what i expect from a current gen game. If that was running on Series X than holy shit can't wait to see how it will look on pc. Playground games are really talented, i believe in them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Holy fucking shit. Excuse my language...
BUT WOW. Ff16 is absolutely crazy looking. Straight up CGI or was parts of it prerendered?!
The 4k mode is crazy and good news - it is actually the good 30fps type with low input lag and fantatastic motion blur quality. Absolutely no oled judder at all. It is fantastic. HDR TOO. You must play this with hdr.

Like... screenshots are hdr to sdr and low quality ps5 captures but holy crap:
1xBPc4D.jpg

D06xY1h.jpg

3HRvNVJ.jpg

2woDhdJ.jpg

8qBVPYI.jpg

RLROvnb.jpg

And here, the mentioned motion blur. It looks so good!!! 30fps actually fucking saved. I tried performance mode but nah... 30fps looks so much better and feels alright.
nmDAzKz.jpg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
BUT WOW. Ff16 is absolutely crazy looking. Straight up CGI or was parts of it prerendered?!
The 4k mode is crazy and good news - it is actually the good 30fps type with low input lag and fantatastic motion blur quality. Absolutely no oled judder at all. It is fantastic. HDR TOO. You must play this with hdr.

1xBPc4D.jpg

D06xY1h.jpg

3HRvNVJ.jpg

2woDhdJ.jpg

8qBVPYI.jpg

RLROvnb.jpg

And here, the mentioned motion blur. It looks so good!!! 30fps actually fucking saved. I tried performance mode but nah... 30fps looks so much better and feels alright.
nmDAzKz.jpg
tumblr_ord7eix0X01uphxvgo1_400.gif

Now im 100% sure you are getting paid by Square Enix lol.

Dunker99

I’m just not seeing what others are seeing in Avatar. Just looks so meh to me. Not a patch on HFW visually (in my opinion).
I did like what I saw of Star Wars Outlaws, though. Looking forward to playing that in 5 years time when hopefully consoles will actually be able to achieve 60fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tumblr_ord7eix0X01uphxvgo1_400.gif

Now im 100% sure you are getting paid by Square Enix lol.
Lol just live a little. It’s ok to be impressed sometimes. Ff16 looks crazy. Just look at some of my shots.
And yeah… play forspoken. Maybe it will wake you up to gaming again or something :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

1xBPc4D.jpg

D06xY1h.jpg

3HRvNVJ.jpg

2woDhdJ.jpg

8qBVPYI.jpg

RLROvnb.jpg

nmDAzKz.jpg
I’m gonna play it tonight and if I am not blown away like i was with avatar I’m personally reporting you to the CMA.

Dunker99

This will come across as overly dramatic and hyperbolic, but I need to get it off my chest.
I feel like I’m constantly being gaslit this gen. Everyone saying that these new games and the games coming out soon are truly next-gen and spectacular and cannot possibly run at 60fps on consoles because they look so visually amazing.

But, with a couple of exceptions, I’m just not seeing it. What’s wrong with me? Have I gone mad? Lol

In the past couple of years, I’ve played all of these gorgeous looking (imo) games at 60fps:
Horizon FW
Spiderman remastered
Miles Morales
Ghost of Tsushima
Division 2
Far Cry 6
Jedi Fallen Order
AC Valhalla
Even games like AC Origins & Odyssey at 60fps can look gorgeous, and they’re huge open worlds.

And I genuinely think lots of them look better than what I’m being shown as next-gen. So my future as a console player for the rest of the gen is games at 30fps that don’t look much better than the 60fps games I’ve been playing for the last few years?

Im tired and ranting now lol

After all the dust has finally settled from the 3 big recent showcases, I've realized unequivocally, that PS5 and Series X are simply too weak to handle current gen visuals.

I'm very disappointed esp in light of Spencer's comments about how Series X doesn't need a mid gen upgrade. My disappointment isn't just about graphics tho, it's the frustration of realizing how stacked this whole thing is by suits like Spencer and Jim Ryan, how out of touch these people running console gaming are and how their surrounded and supported by sycophantic gamers and game journalists.

The GaaS push, the disregard of the hardcore gamers, the lack of care about backwards compatibility, making important games with huge single player components require an internet connection (gt7 and now the new Forza)- they just keep pushing gaming into more anti-gamer territory. I want to be able to know that of I buy a game that I can play it 5-10 years from now-that's such a fundamental desire when buying a $70 game!

Graphics/Performance- Starfield being 30 fps only SUCKS. They could've provided a performance mode without sacrificing any of their "creative needs". For Spencer to say what he said should show anyone he's nothing but a SUIT! I can't believe how many people are already defending this. You guys are the reason console gaming is such a joke. You're the reason we are still getting FPS's in 2023 at 30 fps (with no OPTION for a performance mode):eek:n what was marketed as a 60 fps machine aka "the world's most powerful" console.

You guys can rationalize it all you want you'll never be right. We have the hardware that can offer options now at lowered settings. Make no mistake there will be PC's spec'd lower than Series X that will be able to run it at 60. Why? Because these companies have respect for PC gamers and not the pathetic sheep that are console gamers. They know there would be a REVOLT on PC if they pulled this.

Thanks to this decision...console will NEVER be able to run Starfield at anything other than 30 fps, EVEN if we get the mid gen upgrades we desperately need this gen! When PS6 and Xbox Series 2 come out Starfield will only be able to run at 30 fps. For that reason ALONE it's inexcusable not to have another mode with either 60 fps or an unlocked framerate!

As far as other games go? We've seem now that these consoles are not capable. FF16 demo came out can't even run at 60 fps with lower settings. Forza Motorsport won't have RT gi. Cyberpunk 2077 had to show their new expansion on Series X "quality settings" but the journalists who got to play it were only allowed to play on PC because 30 fps Cyberpunk is TRASH to play and CD PROJECT knows that. Starfield will be trash to control too in combat just like Redfall and Fallout 4 are.

Hellblade 2 mightve just gotten another downgrade. Spiderman 2 couldn't produce next gen visuals. FF Rebirth, Alan Wake 2, Dragons Dogma 2, Mortal Kombat 1, Lord's of Fallen etc They all look good but not great and these games are all current gen. This is what the next couple years of gaming will look like and expect performance issues too.

OCASM

Banned

1xBPc4D.jpg

D06xY1h.jpg

3HRvNVJ.jpg

2woDhdJ.jpg

8qBVPYI.jpg

RLROvnb.jpg

nmDAzKz.jpg
Screenshots 2 and 4 really show the importance of soft-lighting to create a next-gen look. Square Enix has really good artists.

Neo_game

The shaders and lighting (RTGI) is obviously better compared to FH5 while the environments looks roughly the same. The RT reflections tho are far far better used and reflect everything in and out the car plus other cars and environments. Take note that this game also has to run double the fps and has a far more advanced physics simulation. But where FH5 shines is the free open world of Mexico, which is just more pleasant to look and visually more attractive compared to flat and basic looking race tracks. As someone who plays alot of different racing games on all platforms, i can easily say that FM is really a step up from what we have now especially racing sims. FH5 already looked insane for a cross gen game and FM takes it one step further with all the improvements i mentioned.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Let us see how it looks tomorrow. They are finally going to show gameplay. I hope it is a GP track. So that we can have comparison video with other games using same car/track.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After all the dust has finally settled from the 3 big recent showcases, I've realized unequivocally, that PS5 and Series X are simply too weak to handle current gen visuals.

I'm very disappointed esp in light of Spencer's comments about how Series X doesn't need a mid gen upgrade. My disappointment isn't just about graphics tho, it's the frustration of realizing how stacked this whole thing is by suits like Spencer and Jim Ryan, how out of touch these people running console gaming are and how their surrounded and supported by sycophantic gamers and game journalists.

The GaaS push, the disregard of the hardcore gamers, the lack of care about backwards compatibility, making important games with huge single player components require an internet connection (gt7 and now the new Forza)- they just keep pushing gaming into more anti-gamer territory. I want to be able to know that of I buy a game that I can play it 5-10 years from now-that's such a fundamental desire when buying a $70 game!

Graphics/Performance- Starfield being 30 fps only SUCKS. They could've provided a performance mode without sacrificing any of their "creative needs". For Spencer to say what he said should show anyone he's nothing but a SUIT! I can't believe how many people are already defending this. You guys are the reason console gaming is such a joke. You're the reason we are still getting FPS's in 2023 at 30 fps (with no OPTION for a performance mode):eek:n what was marketed as a 60 fps machine aka "the world's most powerful" console.

You guys can rationalize it all you want you'll never be right. We have the hardware that can offer options now at lowered settings. Make no mistake there will be PC's spec'd lower than Series X that will be able to run it at 60. Why? Because these companies have respect for PC gamers and not the pathetic sheep that are console gamers. They know there would be a REVOLT on PC if they pulled this.

Thanks to this decision...console will NEVER be able to run Starfield at anything other than 30 fps, EVEN if we get the mid gen upgrades we desperately need this gen! When PS6 and Xbox Series 2 come out Starfield will only be able to run at 30 fps. For that reason ALONE it's inexcusable not to have another mode with either 60 fps or an unlocked framerate!

As far as other games go? We've seem now that these consoles are not capable. FF16 demo came out can't even run at 60 fps with lower settings. Forza Motorsport won't have RT gi. Cyberpunk 2077 had to show their new expansion on Series X "quality settings" but the journalists who got to play it were only allowed to play on PC because 30 fps Cyberpunk is TRASH to play and CD PROJECT knows that. Starfield will be trash to control too in combat just like Redfall and Fallout 4 are.

Hellblade 2 mightve just gotten another downgrade. Spiderman 2 couldn't produce next gen visuals. FF Rebirth, Alan Wake 2, Dragons Dogma 2, Mortal Kombat 1, Lord's of Fallen etc They all look good but not great and these games are all current gen. This is what the next couple years of gaming will look like and expect performance issues too.
Pro console would only move the goalpost. Devs need to use their buttocks and develop to the metal. Be it 30 fps. Just do it well.
Gen started very slow because pandemic and short supply.
Games are underdeveloped and then everyone still had old systems.
We wasted 2-3 years

I love that 30 FPS is okay "when they do it right" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hugare

I love that 30 FPS is okay "when they do it right" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
... It really is

FF XVI is 30 fps done right in ways that I havent seen in games in a LONG time.

There are frame drops, its not 100% locked, but the frametime is consistent. You dont notice any judder.

Not only that, but they've casted some black magic, 'cause the input latency is glorious. Its as good as a Souls game running without vsync on consoles, but without any judder, framerate fluctuation and inconsistent framepacing.

Framerate is only half of the story. Sometimes you have games such as GOW Ragnarok that even at 60 FPS controls heavily due to input latency. Then you have a 30 FPS like this one that is responsive as hell.

So yeah, implementation is everything

Last edited:

SlimySnake

there was a huge dowgrade to the foliage, doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did in the reveal
Just watched the 4k footage. I dont know about huge. There is a downgrade, yes, but I told you guys that even if there is a downgrade, it will still look next gen. Im cutting some gifs, foliage and jungle detail are still the highlight. its the sky combat sections and character models that dont look too hot.

P.S Both the cinematic trailer and gameplay video were running on the PS5. They had said that this game uses ray tracing ... ray traced foliage was being thrown around back in the day as a joke by the devs themselves. We know the PS5 and XSX cant handle RT that well so im expecting PCs to look way better. Basically a Cyberpunk quality jump.

SlimySnake

This will come across as overly dramatic and hyperbolic, but I need to get it off my chest.
I feel like I’m constantly being gaslit this gen. Everyone saying that these new games and the games coming out soon are truly next-gen and spectacular and cannot possibly run at 60fps on consoles because they look so visually amazing.

But, with a couple of exceptions, I’m just not seeing it. What’s wrong with me? Have I gone mad? Lol

In the past couple of years, I’ve played all of these gorgeous looking (imo) games at 60fps:
Horizon FW
Spiderman remastered
Miles Morales
Ghost of Tsushima
Division 2
Far Cry 6
Jedi Fallen Order
AC Valhalla
Even games like AC Origins & Odyssey at 60fps can look gorgeous, and they’re huge open worlds.

And I genuinely think lots of them look better than what I’m being shown as next-gen. So my future as a console player for the rest of the gen is games at 30fps that don’t look much better than the 60fps games I’ve been playing for the last few years?

Im tired and ranting now lol
Well, you have found the right community here because in this thread, we are all in the same boat. Being gaslit is a good description for what we go through on twitter and even here on gaf in some threads. This is one thread where we are all on the same page, well, with some exceptions. He who shall not be named thinks tlou part 1 looked next gen.

What did you think of the games shown yesterday and today? Starfield, hellblade, Fable, Pragmata, Avatar and Star Wars Outlaws? Do they look next gen to you?

Man you are a glass half empty kind of guy, arent you.

I dont disagree with anything you've said. everything checks out. However, I am just not going to bother with the last gen trash. if you look last gen, I am not talking about you. I will focus on the amazing looking games we saw today.

Phil is a moron. Dont put too much stock into his words. Plagues tale got a 60 fps patch. XSX will get one too. just 6 months down the line. bethesda has been updating skyrim every year for the last 12 years. they patched up fallout 4 to run at native 4k on the x1x and then again on next gen consoles to run at 60 fps. skyrim got a 60 fps patch too.

no mid gen release from Phil doesnt mean Sony wont do one. Its coming next year for sure. Phil is already losing $200 on a xsx, he cant afford to create another expensive machine even if he sells it at $599. sony will and end up making a profit at $599.

I look at the lack of RTGI in Forza and think hey thats a good thing. that means they are putting the GPU, CPU and VRAM to good use. Remember RT doesnt just have a massive GPU hit, but also a substantial CPU hit and more importantly a big 1-1.5 GB vram hit depending on the game. Both starfield and Forza have realtime GI. It is doing what you want it to do.... dynamic GI that changes with weather, day night cycles and other dynamic events. RTGI just makes it more accurate. Just look at the difference between RTGI in star wars on PC. it is damn near unnoticeable.

Last edited:
Touche.

Though, As much as I shit on ND and other sony studios, i think they can do it. Foliage, character models (at least in cutscenes), lighting are stunning in TLOU2 a game running on 1.8 Ghz console. Sadly, probably not till 2027.
Exactly! TLOU 2 is arguably the best looking game available and its running on PS4…

SlimySnake

Should be noted the water mark on that is saying it's pc using overdrive mode, i'm just pointing this out so people are not screaming downgrade when this starts being shown in normal mode.
I have played the Overdrive mode on PC. It doesnt look that much better. There is a difference but nothing that will make you go DOWNGRADE. The main lighting engine is godly and looks amazing even in non-RT mode let alone the psycho RT and overdrive RT modes.

... It really is

FF XVI is 30 fps done right in ways that I havent seen in games in a LONG time.

There are frame drops, its not 100% locked, but the frametime is consistent. You dont notice any judder.

Not only that, but they've casted some black magic, 'cause the input latency is glorious. Its as good as a Souls game running without vsync on consoles, but without any judder, framerate fluctuation and inconsistent framepacing.

Framerate is only half of the story. Sometimes you have games such as GOW Ragnarok that even at 60 FPS controls heavily due to input latency. Then you have a 30 FPS like this one that is responsive as hell.

So yeah, implementation is everything
Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales on PS5 played better at 30 fps too…

Banned
Fable looked really good, the detail on that big guy was what i expect from a current gen game. If that was running on Series X than holy shit can't wait to see how it will look on pc. Playground games are really talented, i believe in them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

if there's one thing Playground can do, it's graphics.

also... I hope Richard Ayoade is a prominently featured character in the game :)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Next gen is here folks.

XFA98FH.gif

9kYnN4u.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

More gifs in the spoiler tag.
nfks8fU.gif

5EiOpFS.gif

jti0p1v.gif

All Gameplay shots. Cutscenes look even better.
Don't mind my LOL reaction. Its good to see you actually impressed by some graphics for once.

Wish I felt the same about this. Especially the one of the horse running. The horse animation is... extremely stiff. To me it simply doesn't look better than Burning Shores. I will watch it again on my OLED. Give it another shot.

Also gonna give FF16 a download now too.

Last edited:

Edder1

Never thought I'd say this, but damn son, Ubisoft showing Sony and Microsoft how it's done and how to do proper gameplay reveal. Sony and Microsoft had 3 years to blow us away and man did they screw up. It's finally good to know what graphics we can realistically expect on current gen consoles. I mean the sensible ones among us knew and kept repeating it by pointing to UE demos by Epic, but so many people were deceived to think that cross gen graphics were all we gonna get this gen. The amount of nonsense we heard on this thread about how consoles are underpowered and how Spiderman 2 is top tier looking next gen game... I'm just glad it's all over.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I’m just not seeing what others are seeing in Avatar. Just looks so meh to me. Not a patch on HFW visually (in my opinion).
I did like what I saw of Star Wars Outlaws, though. Looking forward to playing that in 5 years time when hopefully consoles will actually be able to achieve 60fps.

I'm trying to make sense of the rather large discrepancy between gameplay and cinematics. I can understand character models taking a hit but the environment also loses a lot of fidelity. For now it's good enough to keep me optimistic and I'm pleased it was all running on PS5.

Star Wars Outlaws is my new benchmark for current gen graphics. Jesus F***ing Christ that looked amazing!

Last edited:
Never thought I'd say this, but damn son, Ubisoft showing Sony and Microsoft how it's done and how to do proper gameplay reveal. Sony and Microsoft had 3 years to blow us away and damn did they blow their chance. It's finally good to know what graphics we can realistically expect on current gen consoles. I mean the sensible ones among us knew and kept repeating it by pointing to UE demos by Epic, but so many people were deceived to think that cross gen graphics is all we gonna get this gen.

No.

Sony Santa Monica, The Coalition, Naughty Dog have all yet to show their hands at what a next gen ONLY game looks like.

These are the teams with big $$$ behind them and the full backing of PS and Xbox. If cutting edge graphics are what you're after, wait for these guys to show their work. They've been quiet for a very long time now as to what they're working on for Series X and PS5 so their game reveals are going to surely be mind blowing.

Edder1

No.

Sony Santa Monica, The Coalition, Naughty Dog have all yet to show their hands at what a next gen ONLY game looks like.

These are the teams with big $$$ behind them and the full backing of PS and Xbox. If cutting edge graphics are what you're after, wait for these guys to show their work. They've been quiet for a very long time now as to what they're working on for Series X and PS5 so their game reveals are going to surely be mind blowing.
Lol, we already know what next gen is about. All those devs are late to the party. They can sure up the ante, but it's gonna be more about small details and attention to it rather than anything mindblowing. I expect improvements in animations and character rendering to still come this gen, but Ubisoft games are always top tier looking games (specifically talking about graphics) so next gen is definitely here.

Last edited:

hlm666

I have played the Overdrive mode on PC. It doesnt look that much better. There is a difference but nothing that will make you go DOWNGRADE. The main lighting engine is godly and looks amazing even in non-RT mode let alone the psycho RT and overdrive RT modes.
I have aswell, but when I said normal mode I ment normal mode, not psycho RT. the jump between Psycho and overdrive can be small in some places but raster to full overdrive is easy to see, especially in areas that are not set pieces with extra work done.

You don't think people would not be able to notice the much better lighting in the overdrive video? If someone can't they shouldn't have a problem with any downgrades and probably shouldn't engage in any of those discussions.

Edder1

I was blown away by Avatar, but I have to say I was more impressed by Outlaws. While Avatar does impress you with scale, vegetation and epic vistas, Outlaws just has more wow moments because they can push fidelity to the max since it's not a traditional open world game. The image quality of Outlaws is just so crisp, so detailed and sharp. Outlaws for me was the Uncharted moment from last gen, that moment when you know nothing that comes after will impress to the same degree (purely from a graphical perspective). And oh boy does Outlaws make Jedi Survivor look extremely ugly in comparison.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I have aswell, but when I said normal mode I ment normal mode, not psycho RT. the jump between Psycho and overdrive can be small in some places but raster to full overdrive is easy to see, especially in areas that are not set pieces with extra work done.

You don't think people would not be able to notice the much better lighting in the overdrive video? If someone can't they shouldn't have a problem with any downgrades and probably shouldn't engage in any of those discussions.

I think people will notice the difference when you put them side by side, but when i ran my comparisons, it was mostly the rt reflections that stood out. And even then it was only at night under some very specific scenarios like shiny cars. The streets and the buildings didn’t get a huge boost in terms of lighting. I was expecting overdrive to completely change the look of the game but while it definitely looked better, it wasn’t a night and day difference like some of Ubisofts worst downgrades.

I actually took some screenshots for another thread where we were discussing rt. I will post them tomorrow morning.

SlimySnake

I was blown away by Avatar, but I have to say I was more impressed by Outlaws. While Avatar does impress you with scale, vegetation and epic vistas, Outlaws just has more wow moments because they can push fidelity to the max since it's not open world but more big hub stages like in Metro Exodus. The image quality of Outlaws is just so crisp, so detailed and sharp. Outlaws for me was the Uncharted moment from last gen, that moment when you know nothing that comes after will impress to the same degree (purely from a graphical perspective).
Outlaw is open world. ;p

It is being billed as the first open world Star Wars game. I personally think avatar looks better but the flying to space grill earth in real-time and then getting into a space fight was super cool to see. Especially at this level of fidelity.

I am going to sleep. You will be gifting me gold when you are finished!
Stopped after around 45 mins. Very impressive intro. The big war scene was nuts considering its real-time. I said whoa when they switched from that to a different scene in another castle without a loading screen or fade out. They do it other times which is disappointing.

The big titan cutscenes are nits and kinda sort of explain the visuals elsewhere. They are aiming to do what other last Gen games basically stopped doing. Big epic setpieces,/war scenes. No more intimate god of war, the first ten minutes of this game shits on every setpiece in gow ragnorak.

Got to the swamp and quit for today. I need to play more to day of visuals are next Gen but so far the actual game looks like a fairly polished version of a last Gen game.

Well, you have found the right community here because in this thread, we are all in the same boat. Being gaslit is a good description for what we go through on twitter and even here on gaf in some threads. This is one thread where we are all on the same page, well, with some exceptions. He who shall not be named thinks tlou part 1 looked next gen.

What did you think of the games shown yesterday and today? Starfield, hellblade, Fable, Pragmata, Avatar and Star Wars Outlaws? Do they look next gen to you?

Man you are a glass half empty kind of guy, arent you.

I dont disagree with anything you've said. everything checks out. However, I am just not going to bother with the last gen trash. if you look last gen, I am not talking about you. I will focus on the amazing looking games we saw today.

Phil is a moron. Dont put too much stock into his words. Plagues tale got a 60 fps patch. XSX will get one too. just 6 months down the line. bethesda has been updating skyrim every year for the last 12 years. they patched up fallout 4 to run at native 4k on the x1x and then again on next gen consoles to run at 60 fps. skyrim got a 60 fps patch too.

no mid gen release from Phil doesnt mean Sony wont do one. Its coming next year for sure. Phil is already losing $200 on a xsx, he cant afford to create another expensive machine even if he sells it at $599. sony will and end up making a profit at $599.

I look at the lack of RTGI in Forza and think hey thats a good thing. that means they are putting the GPU, CPU and VRAM to good use. Remember RT doesnt just have a massive GPU hit, but also a substantial CPU hit and more importantly a big 1-1.5 GB vram hit depending on the game. Both starfield and Forza have realtime GI. It is doing what you want it to do.... dynamic GI that changes with weather, day night cycles and other dynamic events. RTGI just makes it more accurate. Just look at the difference between RTGI in star wars on PC. it is damn near unnoticeable.

I am a half glass empty guy this gen. I dont think some of the things you're hopeful about will happen. Fallout 4 never got a 60 fps patch btw. Only way to play it is by installing a mod Bethesda can't be bothered to even patch Fallout 76 despite continual support via dlc. I don't see Starfield getting a patch from Bethesda of all companies.

Forza I can actually understand the lack of GI on console since it has reflections in gameplay at "4k"/60.

Spiderman 2 from Sony and 30 fps Starfield broke me I guess

Edder1

Outlaw is open world. ;p
That's insane if they can do these visuals in open world game. I assumed it was hub based because towards the end of gameplay trailer they were skipping to different locations. As far as I understand there will be multiple planets (worlds) so I'm sceptical that we'll get worlds that are the size of traditional open world games. I think it will be tighter and more focused smaller open worlds, otherwise it would take more than a decade to create multiple massive open worlds like what you seen Avatar. It will probably be something like Jedi Survivor but maybe more dense and a bit larger.

I think Avatar has a much more impressive scale and vistas, but to me Outlaws just looks sharper and more crisp. Avatar is just a bit visually inconsistent, it can look like CGI at some points and somewhat bland at others. Outlaws looks slick right throughout.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
No.

Sony Santa Monica, The Coalition, Naughty Dog have all yet to show their hands at what a next gen ONLY game looks like...
Naughty Dog have already released TLOU1, a PS5 next-gen exclusive. According to Sony and Naughty Dog, it was built from the ground up exclusively for PS5, being a full next-gen title. So, we've already seen Naughty Dog's next gen - and it looks a lot like their last gen.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Naughty Dog have already released TLOU1, a PS5 next-gen exclusive. According to Sony and Naughty Dog, it was built from the ground up exclusively for PS5, being a full next-gen title. So, we've already seen Naughty Dog's next gen - and it looks a lot like their last gen.
Come on man, we should all know PR speak by now. Thats all that was. That was nothing more than a small team at ND working with some Bend guys remastering a game.

Not a single one of their big name devs were involved with the project. Thats all you need to know.

Their new SP game will put everything else to shame.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Didn’t they take over that project at the last minute to salvage it? Idk man, I’d be shocked if ND doesn’t bring the heat at some point this gen.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Come on man, we should all know PR speak by now. Thats all that was. That was nothing more than a small team at ND working with some Bend guys remastering a game.

Not a single one of their big name devs were involved with the project. Thats all you need to know.

Their new SP game will put everything else to shame. Guaranteed.
Oh, I know Sony and Naughty Dog were straight up lying - the remake was a low effort cash grab and it shows. But, they billed it, advertised it, and priced it as a next-gen exclusive. So, in terms of "Naughty Dog's next-gen", according to them, we've already seen it. That was their choice, and it is what it is. I will point out how you've also already excluded their recently delayed multiplayer title, which is also a next-gen exclusive. Naughty Dog's third next-gen exclusive counts, apparently, whereas everyone else's first next-gen title counts, for some reason?

Didn’t they take over that project at the last minute to salvage it? Idk man, I’d be shocked if ND doesn’t bring the heat at some point this gen.
I don't believe so. The project was original started elsewhere by a smaller Sony team to prove to the higher ups they were ready for the AAA space. Once ND got involved, they stepped in and helmed the project themselves for at least the last two years. They required some help with the PC port, though, with another PC porting team stepping in at the last minute to help them out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom