• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

Usually I would agree with the lowest common denominator theory but then again we got average-looking PS5 only games from Sony studios which totally debunks this theory... for now.
Right Now its definitly 95% Budget related.
Dev studios arent gonna put in the extra work for free. Neither Sony nor MS wants to fit the bill for true Next Gen Assets and the required engine R&D.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Which means both Series S and shit PC rigs are ensuring that we're never going to get the kinds of visual fidelity and jumps in gameplay that we would be getting if these games were designed just for Series X and higher end PCs.

This lowest common denominator shit is ruining this generation.

This "lowest common denominator shit" has been a thing for literally the entire existence of modern gaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which means both Series S and shit PC rigs are ensuring that we're never going to get the kinds of visual fidelity and jumps in gameplay that we would be getting if these games were designed just for Series X and higher end PCs.

This lowest common denominator shit is ruining this generation.
I was with you on the series s holding back games until i saw flight sim, metro RT and the matrix running on it. Devs dont seem to care about this thing. they are willing to let the resolution below 500p. They are willing to ship games without RT on this console. They are willing to downgrade the visuals so much it looks like a pixelated vcd mess.

Then you have the PS5 which has no such lowest common denominator but look at the FF16 demo. Look at Forspoken. Look at TLOU2, SPiderman 2. Is it the lowest common denominator here? These arent cross gen games. Its obvious that the talent and ambition has left the industry like an absent father and hes not coming back. I was watching the spiderman tech director on twitter talk about the tech in spiderman 2 and i was embarrassed for him. He might be talented but the people around him, his bosses, the leads and his employees clearly are not.

For devs to be outclassed by fucking Bethesda is insane. Bethesda used to be a gen or two behind every other sony and MS studio. Partly because of their cpu heavy systems but mostly because bethesda just didnt care about graphics and only focused on systems. Now the tables have turned and Bethesda has managed to pull off stunning visuals while producing what is arguably the most ambitious game made to date. Meanwhile SPiderman 2 showed off a QTE.

Maybe on ps6, bro, definitely not on ps5pr0, so around 2028-2030.
We did reach/surpassed many bullshot trailers/screens after jump to next gen so there is hope spiderman 4 looks somehow similar( spidey3 will probably be end of ps5 or ps5/ps6 crossgen so no chance ;p).
I don't doubt Insomniac could get close to that if made exclusively for a potential 20tflop PS5 Pro at 1440p/30fps *IF* they completely changed their art direction from what it is now. That is much more stylised and dark. I prefer it tbh.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
TOsHiia.jpg
uQo15S6.jpg
5WAkJ9l.jpg
Nq2yKjs.jpg

SlimySnake

I was watching the DF Direct on Summer Gamefest and i just shook my head most of the hour and a half long video, at John especially. Some of the comments he makes are so delusional. They start discussing how MK didnt look that much better than MK11 then he derails the whole conversation by bringing up per pixel motion blur not being present. Dude, it is not because of motion blur or shutterspeed that the game looks barely any better than their last gen game. It's everything else. The character rendering, the level of detail, asset quality, lighting etc. It's the fact that they are using UE3.5 instead of UE5. It's the fact that the fucking game can run on switch. You know a handheld so weak that the XSX is literally 63x more powerful?

When they discussed Alan Wake 2, Alex took over with his stutter rants completely hijacking the talk with dumb shit like the video being encoded in a 60 fps container or some random shit. The game is in dev, if it ships with stutters, discuss it then, right now just discuss the lack a big upgrade.

I watched the entire fucking direct to see what they say about a complete lack of upgrade in FF7, and he fobbed it off by saying well its open world now with the same graphics. Then he goes my real complaint is that they revealed it so close to FF16 because now it will steal its thunder. Like wtf dude. Why do you give a shit? You are a tech bro, talk about the tech. Who cares about the business side? You have a game doing the bare minimum with last gen lighting (At least Alex brought this up but was shutdown immediately by John) that has no real bounce lighting Lumens is so good at and you are worried about E3s being used to reveal video games?

Delusional. They dont know their audience. They dont get why people tune in. They were talking about Van Damme being in MK11 for longer than they discussed its graphics.

Hard to believe that today's Xbox event makes Spiderman 2 look next gen lmfao. The downgrade in Hellblade 2 is UNREAL. Starfield does look visually pleasing. Not incredible but not ugly. Actually looking forward to the game.
I personally thought it made Spider-Man 2 look even more last Gen then it already did. Fable and Starfield especially straight dunked on Spider-Man 2’s graphics.

alloush

I am curious to see what this looks like. Division despite its downgrade looks really good. Still weird that massive is making both Avatar and Star Wars. I wonder if we get to see both today.
Yeah me too. Division was one of my favorite games last gen, and graphically it was hella good, so I wonder how this will end up looking like.

OCASM

Banned
Horizon had the benefit of being a Sony 1st party title. The benefit of having tech, systems and work carried over from the previous title. Both a solid foundation to pursue higher graphical fidelity.

Also let's be honest, the visuals are a focal point of Horizon and what sells the game and without them the game would probably be a flop. This isn't the case for other franchises. It's the gameplay that sells Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom etc not high fidelity blades of grass.. So not a priority for other franchises that have multiple appealing characteristics. It's hilarious playing the lazy devs card instead of considering these aspects.

So that said, the franchise is afforded the luxury to dedicate a lot more development resources to simply pursue cutting edge graphics, as its the one of the biggest selling points, arguably not story, not characters, not gameplay.
More excuses. We saw proper PS4 games from third parties early last gen. No reason why that can't be the case this gen also except for a lack of will.

The lighting is what's good in that shot. The character model is not better than early PS4 games like Ryse.

I was watching the DF Direct on Summer Gamefest and i just shook my head most of the hour and a half long video, at John especially. Some of the comments he makes are so delusional. They start discussing how MK didnt look that much better than MK11 then he derails the whole conversation by bringing up per pixel motion blur not being present. Dude, it is not because of motion blur or shutterspeed that the game looks barely any better than their last gen game. It's everything else. The character rendering, the level of detail, asset quality, lighting etc. It's the fact that they are using UE3.5 instead of UE5. It's the fact that the fucking game can run on switch. You know a handheld so weak that the XSX is literally 63x more powerful?

When they discussed Alan Wake 2, Alex took over with his stutter rants completely hijacking the talk with dumb shit like the video being encoded in a 60 fps container or some random shit. The game is in dev, if it ships with stutters, discuss it then, right now just discuss the lack a big upgrade.

I watched the entire fucking direct to see what they say about a complete lack of upgrade in FF7, and he fobbed it off by saying well its open world now with the same graphics. Then he goes my real complaint is that they revealed it so close to FF16 because now it will steal its thunder. Like wtf dude. Why do you give a shit? You are a tech bro, talk about the tech. Who cares about the business side? You have a game doing the bare minimum with last gen lighting (At least Alex brought this up but was shutdown immediately by John) that has no real bounce lighting Lumens is so good at and you are worried about E3s being used to reveal video games?

Delusional. They dont know their audience. They dont get why people tune in. They were talking about Van Damme being in MK11 for longer than they discussed its graphics.
John barely knows tech. The moment he deviates from official info or from what he gets from interviews he starts spouting nonsense.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Well Avatar didnt get downgraded. Holy fucking shit.

Mind blowing.

EDIT: This is proof that if devs fucking tried and had any ambition, anything is possible. The foliage rendering is insane but that lighting omg. The final scene with the burning ship setpiece looks almost like the movie.

OK they are about to show gameplay. moment of truth. nvm captured on PS5. looks just as good. im done. i can die happy.

Last edited:

alloush

Mind blowing.

EDIT: This is proof that if devs fucking tried and had any ambition, anything is possible. The foliage rendering is insane but that lighting omg. The final scene with the burning ship setpiece looks almost like the movie.

OK they are about to show gameplay. moment of truth. nvm captured on PS5. looks just as good. im done. i can die happy.
Where you watching this, son?

SMH people on here, an enthusiast board, trying to clown on starfield graphics because the fanboy NPC didn’t look like neo from the matrix demo

EDIT: may seem random but I was browsing the starfield thread

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Mind blowing.

It looked good but the IQ was so bad that it took away the other wise amazing graphics and there where again lots of FSR artefacts. Can't wait to see it running on a high end pc with some decent iq.

SlimySnake

It looked good but the IQ was so bad that it took away the other wise amazing graphics and there where again lots of FSR artefacts. Can't wait to see it running on a high end pc with some decent iq.
did you watch the 4k stream? does that still look blurry?

Anyway, this game uses ray tracing even for foliage and AMD GPUs in the consoles are trash at that. i wouldnt be surprised if its sub 1080p internal resolution, but i havent seen the 4k stream yet.

Edder1

Avatar is definitely the most next gen game we've seen and ironically it comes from Ubisoft, lol. The amount of foliage and detail on screen was very impressive. Finally all the people who were capping for Spiderman 2 can shut up.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

SMH people on here, an enthusiast board, trying to clown on starfield graphics because the fanboy NPC didn’t look like neo from the matrix demo

EDIT: may seem random but I was browsing the starfield thread
I see that in the ubsioft thread too. man, character models are only one aspect of the graphics. i would love to have HFW quality character models in everything, but if 90% of the screen if full of the world that looks stunning, who cares about character models in a first person game like starfield and avatar?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I see that in the ubsioft thread too. man, character models are only one aspect of the graphics. i would love to have HFW quality character models in everything, but if 90% of the screen if full of the world that looks stunning, who cares about character models in a first person game like starfield and avatar?
I would argue that character models are more important when you have a first person view because you always look up close to their details.

alloush

Stunning stuff from Ubisoft, a sentence I have never imagined I'd say. Is there gonna be any 3rd person view? please don't tell me it's just gonna be 1st person.

10v12

All of this running in realtime, gameplay

Incredible stuff

Have never seen a battle of this scale being rendered as good as this in a game

CG like visuals
I can't find the interview rn but they've stated that (for cutscenes) they are using a combination of (in-engine) CG for the background with real time rendering for objects/characters in the foreground. Quite honestly I don't even mind because its incredibly difficult to tell, and the results speak for themselves (in terms of the scope)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
did you watch the 4k stream? does that still look blurry?

Anyway, this game uses ray tracing even for foliage and AMD GPUs in the consoles are trash at that. i wouldnt be surprised if its sub 1080p internal resolution, but i havent seen the 4k stream yet.
Yes watched both gameplay and the other trailer in 4k. Its not blurry, there are lots of aliasing, shimmering and fsr artefacts. And the more i look at it the more i see also lots of areas that are not that impressive. It has lots of low res assets and the resolution in some scene's look like sub 1080p. Why did they choose the PS5 to show this of, just show us the maxed out pc version ffs.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Here you can see it clearly running sub 1080p
14.jpg

Hugare

I can't find the interview rn but they've stated that (for cutscenes) they are using a combination of (in-engine) CG for the background with real time rendering for objects/characters in the foreground. Quite honestly I don't even mind because its incredibly difficult to tell, and the results speak for themselves (in terms of the scope)
I've never seen this method being used in other games

If its true, damn, its just like realtime. Specially since you dont see a black screen, loading, nothing.

It jumps from cutscene to gameplay instantly

SlimySnake

Snowdrop engine takeover today this and avatar wow

This looks good but im not blown away.

EDIT:OMG. I spoke to oon. She got in a space ship flew to space in realtime in just seconds. Gets into spaceship combat in a space ruin. the graphics in a crashed ship in space were amazing. she then goes FTL and goes into a new planet system. WOW. Holy fucking shit. The different levels at the end of the trailer were incredible. Ubisoft has done. These crazy french bastards!

Very curious to see blackbars a la the other 1886. With Avatar using FSR and this game using black bars, its obvious people are trying to find more GPU power out of these consoles. 10 tflops wasnt enough.

Last edited:

Msamy

This looks good but im not blown away.

EDIT:OMG. I spoke to oon. She got in a space ship flew to space in realtime in just seconds. the graphics in a crashed ship in space were amazing. she then goes FTL and goes into a new planet system. WOW. Holy fucking shit. The different levels at the end of the trailer were incredible. Ubisoft has done. These crazy french bastards!

Very curious to see blackbars a la the other 1886. With Avatar using FSR and this game using black bars, its obvious people are trying to find more GPU power out of these consoles. 10 tflops wasnt enough.
I think they try very hard to get those visuals from next gen consoles and that's enough for me , they desirve some credit unlike some others developers who gives us next gen exclusive games with ps4 graphics

Last edited:

icerock

Massives' Snowdrop engine is absolutely stunning, Outlaws was incredible and Avatar looks great too. No wonder next AC game is also transitioning to it.

Ubi delivered the goods, technically a lot of their stuff was excellent.

As for Starfield PR/apologists, they can hold my jock for saying it is a next-gen game with stiffled combat, no interplanterary hopping/landing and last gen graphics and character models.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
no interplanterary hopping/landing

Ask yourself. What happens in the new Star Wars game if you steer your ship in different direction than up up up. You most likely get a GAME OVER screen for one reason or another.

It's a fake sense of freedom. It adds nothing. You are on rails. The game plays you, not the other way around.

I'd like to be wrong but let's face it... I'm not.

icerock

Ask yourself. What happens in the new Star Wars game if you steer your ship in different direction than up up up. You most likely get a GAME OVER screen for one reason or another.

It's a fake sense of freedom. It adds nothing. You are on rails. The game plays you, not the other way around.

I'd like to be wrong but let's face it... I'm not.

?!?!?!

It's a game, it is meant to contain you in one way or the other. Not sure what more freedom you want in a Star Wars game? There was stealth, there was hand to hand combat, there was gun combat, there was ship combat, there was companion combat, there was on road traversal, there was space traversal and everything was seamless, while pushing true next-gen visuals. Not to mention the UI is super clean as well.

Not every game has to be a Zelda clone, let them do their thing and cater to their strengths. Outlaws certainly hit a lot of checkboxes for what this thread was clamoring for.

SlimySnake

no interplanterary hopping/landing
I get what you are saying but starfield will have hundreds of planets to explore. does it matter if landing on them is a cutscene or not?

It's not like any of these games will let you explore entire planets so having them land in an area you can explore is ok. The star wars game will not let you explore entire planets either. its impossible to make games that big.

As for graphics, the character models are dated, but the rest of the graphics look well beyond what we have seen this gen. lighting especially.

Combat will be better than star wars lol come on. Have you played Fallout 4? it will be way deeper than the uncharted combat they are doing here. It's hard for WRPGs to sell combat because its mostly stat and perk based and isnt as flashy as JRPGs. I can promise you starfield's combat will take laps around any First person shooter released this year.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
?!?!?!

It's a game, it is meant to contain you in one way or the other. Not sure what more freedom you want in a Star Wars game? There was stealth, there was hand to hand combat, there was gun combat, there was ship combat, there was companion combat, there was on road traversal, there was space traversal and everything was seamless, while pushing true next-gen visuals. Not to mention the UI is super clean as well.

Not every game has to be a Zelda clone, let them do their thing and cater to their strengths. Outlaws certainly hit a lot of checkboxes for what this thread was clamoring for.

You're criticizing Starfield for having 'no interplanterary hopping/landing' and at the same time praising Star Wars where your ship taking off was a cut scene with absolutely no control followed up by a short gameplay section with (most likely) a false sense of freedom where all you do is push your stick upwards towards the clouds until the space level loads.

And I get it, most players won't notice and they'll be mind blown.

Top Bottom