• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVEN, Hexen II Spiritual Successor, Announced

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
2021. Coming to PC, Switch, PS4/5, and Xbox One/Series X.

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/hex...-ps5-xbox-series-x-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc
Steam Page:

Press Release
GRAVEN delves into a gruesome medieval world of deities and monstrosities as a disgraced Priest of the Orthogonal Order. When a heretical member of the Order sacrifices the Priest’s adoptive daughter, the Priest lethally retaliates in a bout of righteous fury. Tried and found guilty by his brothers and now exiled to the burning sands, he closes his eyes for one last prayer, for peace. The Creator speaks to him directly: “You will have to earn your peace.”

Heed the Creator by hunting down the foul heretical sects responsible for conjuring plagues and twisting the natural order of the seasons. Blending action, exploration, and puzzle-solving, GRAVEN takes cues from classic shooters, immersive sims, and action RPGs alike. Journey across three expansive, open-ended regions, and scour the lands to purge evil.

Carefully observe a reactive world to find the way: with a journal, the player drives the exploration instead of following waypoints. Listen to townsfolks’ woes and slay the monsters responsible for their torment. Banish over thirty distinct enemies from plagued madmen to swamp beasts with powerful sorceries such as wild blasts of lightning and scorching rays of flame. Solve environmental puzzles with those same powers, altering the world with spells.

Wield destructive conventional weaponry, including magic staves and wrist-mounted crossbows. Find hidden gold to upgrade weapons and spells at blacksmiths and alchemists. Return to previously-plundered areas with new abilities to uncover secrets and entirely new areas. With more than 30 weapons and spells, GRAVEN encourages experimentation. Play solo, with one friend in split-screen co-op, or even in a party of four online for complete arcane chaos.

Trailer:

Gameplay:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I can't say that this kind of circa-1999 retro has quite the same kind of distinctive charm as stuff modeled on earlier games.

Also Hexen II sure is an interesting reference point for a spiritual successor. It had its charm but it was a huge commercial bomb and not exactly the peak of its series.
I keep getting g this co fused with heretic. Either way I’m interested.
It's the same series.

Rob_27

I like stuff like this, everything now days is too realistic and not fun to play.

Is hexen or heretic which ever free with it as well.

Cravis

STnO0g3.jpg

jakdex

John's gonna ended up summoning the purple mob on him again supporting this "problematic" company.

Also the gameplay looks fucking amazing.

Vae_Victis

Banned
To be honest I'm not really buying the aesthetic they came up with. There is a jarring disconnect between textures, models and lighting system. It doesn't really look like an old game (let alone Hexen 2), it's like a PS3/Xbox 360 era game with very inconsistent geometry and texture work.

This is actual Hexen 2:

HeXenII03.jpg

HeXenII02.jpg

If you want to imitate this, geometries should be toned WAYYYY down compared to those trailers (just the staff in the new game probably has more polygons than an entire screen of the old game). Conversely, if you want to make it look more modern than Hexen 2, as in general this seems to (let's say 2005-ish?), what in the fuck is going on with the textures? Are they from bloody Doom?

The rule for 3D games around 1995-2000 was that you made up with textures for what you couldn't represent with polygons. Since complex geometries were too taxing to render, you had to draw all the details in the textures and then apply them to flat surfaces to make them look more detailed. This is the complete opposite, detailed geometries but with hideously pixelated textures, some far worse than those from Hexen 2 itself.

The game on its own might be good to play, I don't know, but the "nostalgia operation" really doesn't work for me. This feels like what somebody who never actually played a pre-2000 game thinks old games looked like.

Last edited:

GHG

To be honest I'm not really buying the aesthetic they came up with. There is a jarring disconnect between textures, models and lighting system. It doesn't really look like an old game (let alone Hexen 2), it's like a PS3/Xbox 360 era game with very inconsistent geometry and texture work.

This is actual Hexen 2:

HeXenII03.jpg

HeXenII02.jpg

If you want to imitate this, environmental geometries should be toned WAYYYY down compared to those trailers (just the staff in the new game probably has more polygons than an entire screen of the old game). Conversely, if you want to make it look more modern than Hexen 2, as in general this seems to (let's say 2005-ish?), what in the fuck is going on with the textures? Are they from bloody Doom?

The rule for 3D games around 1995-2000 was that you made up with textures for what you couldn't represent with polygons. Since complex geometries were too taxing to render, you had to draw all the details in the textures and then apply them to flat surfaces to make them look more detailed. This is the complete opposite, detailed geometries but with hideously pixelated textures, some far worse than those from Hexen 2 itself.

The game on its own might be good to play, I don't know, but the "nostalgia operation" really doesn't work for me. This feels like what somebody who never actually played a pre-2000 game thinks old games looked like.

I don't think the aim is to make it look like hexen, it's more about keeping the spirit of the gameplay systems of the hexen games.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don't think the aim is to make it look like hexen, it's more about keeping the spirit of the gameplay systems of the hexen games.
I'm totally fine with that. But if that is the case, as I said, what in the hell are those textures?

Graven:
Graven.jpg

Heretic fucking 1 (1994):
Heretic-e3m7-crypt.png

It's just... pointlessly weird, and I don't understand the visual or thematic appeal of creating a Thief 3-looking game only to arbitrarily replace half the textures in the environments with 1995-level assets.

Vae_Victis

Banned
This looks better. Unfortunately I think it's in dev hell at the moment.

They claim they are still working on it and development is proceeding. But don't expect it to release any time soon.

Castef

Banned
Ok, it actually seems a new Hexen so I'm in.

Even though I still wonder why Bethesda continues to ignore its fantasy IPs... a new Hexen or Heretic made in the way of the new Doom or Wolfenstein would be great.

Esteldan

The graphics will turn a lot of people but I honestly love it. I wish more games used older graphics so devs feel they can take more risks in terms of gameplay/level design instead of being hamstrung by the pressure of huge budgets like we have now.

I know this has a lot of Hexen influence (played 2 years ago) but really pleased to hear them mention immersive Sims as well. Hopefully it's much better then Underworld Ascendant even if it's not trying to do the same thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hexen was basically Doom with fantasy setting, maybe a little more complex/3D level design, this looks more like Strife to me with the npcs and quests and exploration.

Edit: just realized I've not played through Hexen II so maybe it was considerably more RPG/adventure-like compared to its predecessor (more than small improvements).

Last edited:
The graphics will turn a lot of people but I honestly love it. I wish more games used older graphics so devs feel they can take more risks in terms of gameplay/level design instead of being hamstrung by the pressure of huge budgets like we have now.

I know this has a lot of Hexen influence (played 2 years ago) but really pleased to hear them mention immersive Sims as well. Hopefully it's much better then Underworld Ascendant even if it's not trying to do the same thing.

It's quaint, but too many games the past years are going for the retro look or worse. There's PLENTY to go back to satisfy the low-res look, or just adjust your settings, but going forward we add something new. The vision I have today for an rpg, hasn't even been attempted and it's definitely possible with the new cards coming. I would've thought by now the industry would be at that same point, but I don't think the modern generations know much of their gaming history or even genre history.

Filben

Retardera is having a meltdown over this game cause it's apparently designed by Hitler and the Third Reicht. They're also canceling John Linneman (DF Darkx) cause he likes these classic games and thus supports Hitler.
Gotta love the hypocrisy there. According to them you're supporting bigotry by giving them money (as if bigots would stop being bigots if they don't get any money...) and apparently this makes you a "shitty person". So I guess those people calling others out don't buy any product on the global market and they craft everything on their own in their own eco-friendly workshop that doesn't hurty anybody in any kind of way.

I don't have to like people I'm giving my money to and sometimes I do it gladly for people/companies I actually do want to support, and sometimes I do it without being too happy about it. But of course it's only black or white and there's no place for nuance. They actually act like fascists.

ANYWAYS, game looks super cool; Dark Messiah meets Hexen. I'm not so sure about the artstyle because some elements seem pixelated (which isn't bad on its own) and others high-res cartoonish. I'd like it a bit more consistent like in Gloomwood. But it's just a minor complain. So far really liking what I've seen.

Top Bottom