• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVEN, Hexen II Spiritual Successor, Announced

Bombolone

Gold Member
I like stuff like this, everything now days is too realistic and not fun to play.

Is hexen or heretic which ever free with it as well.

Love the old PC games look.
It lets my imagination fill in the blanks.

Going for objective realism only hurts my immersion when the world doesn't react like I would expect. Or like walking through a pretty picture.

The silly interactivity of Duke Nukems and Deus Ex and games of old, really had a charm about them.

johntown

Banned
I was not impressive with this game until I watched the gameplay video. Man the game looks really fun!

Core Decay is another similar game by the same devs and looks just as good IMO.

Bullet Club

Banned

Remember the classic Hexen from the 90s? Slipgate Ironworks brings the old formula back to life, modernised with the latest tech from Unreal Engine 4. John Linneman and Alex Battaglia are massive fans of the original - so does this spiritual successor hit the mark?

winjer

Gold Member
Damien_Azreal, from 3DRealms, elucidated why GMan's review points to so many issues:
Anyway, the 1'0 patch will be released in about an hour, so we can try it for ourselves.

Graven does release into it's 1.0 today.

I will say, Gman was not playing on a final build. He was playing on a "release candidate"... not a finished version.
The build coming out today has a lot of fixes compared to the one he played.

Any soft-locks or such that reviewers ran into and reported, have been fixed.

Also, Graven is definitely more of a "niche" game. It's not going to be for everyone, it's not a fast paced, action shooter.
It does want players to go slower, experiment and explore.
He comments on spells, but never comments on upgrading them. Which each spell has two upgrades, which makes them much more powerful in combat.

I think, the biggest misstep... was not having any hand holding. There is a small "game guide" in game in the menu, but overall the game expects the player to figure is all out on their own.

Like combat...
The staff deals blunt damage, which means it can activate a weak point on Infected and kill them in a single hit. But it takes stamina.
The short sword does blade damage, can not hit the weak point, but does not cost stamina.

Fire will burn and kill Skeleton Warriors because they are dry, and will burn easier. But will not burn a swamp based enemy, as they are wet.
But electricity will stun a wet enemy..

winjer

Gold Member
Played it for about an hour and just gave up. This is not a good game.
Combat is not fun. Movement is very janky, especially jumping.
One time, I got stuck in the scenery, so I had to reload the game.
Level design is nothing special. And it feels so bland and empty.
But the worst part is that every time I save and quit, when I return it sends me back to town. So then I have to backtrack all the way to where I was, including passing through a few loading screens.
The game seems to have some checkpoint system, but despite this, it keeps sending me back to town.
Overall, the game feels unfinished. So i would not recommend it for anyone.

I can hope that Wrath final release, next month, is much better than Graven.

Hudo

Damn you for pushing this thread. I accidentally only read "Hexen II successor announced" and was fucking excited. Before I re-read the thread title again...

Fuck, man...

WitchHunter

Banned
2021. Coming to PC, Switch, PS4/5, and Xbox One/Series X.

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/hex...-ps5-xbox-series-x-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc
Steam Page:

Press Release

Trailer:

Gameplay:

Fuck 3drealms. How come this shitstain of a company still exists? After what they've pulled with Duke Nukem Forever, the least they could do is fuck off. George Broussard (the brave soul, who wiped his twitter account a few years ago) still working there or just playing wow/poker instead? And what about the brave Scott Miller?

Btw is this Wayne June, who narrates the trailer?

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Fuck 3drealms. How come this shitstain of a company still exists? After what they've pulled with Duke Nukem Forever, the least they could do is fuck off. George Broussard (the brave soul, who wiped his twitter account a few years ago) still working there or just playing wow/poker instead of working on DNF? And what about the brave Scott Miller?
Duke Nukem Forever was Gearbox. Also, 3D Realms is the publisher, not the developer. Slipgate Ironworks made Graven. 3D Realms has published a lot of great games, even recently (Ion Fury and Ghostrunner). They've kept this genre alive so I am all for them to keep doing what they are doing. If you have issues with Graven, contact Slipgate and maybe you both can work it out.

WitchHunter

Banned
Duke Nukem Forever was Gearbox. Also, 3D Realms is the publisher, not the developer. Slipgate Ironworks made Graven. 3D Realms has published a lot of great games, even recently (Ion Fury and Ghostrunner). They've kept this genre alive so I am all for them to keep doing what they are doing. If you have issues with Graven, contact Slipgate and maybe you both can work it out.
Bull fucking shite. Educate yourself on the topic.

But the worst part is that every time I save and quit, when I return it sends me back to town. So then I have to backtrack all the way to where I was, including passing through a few loading screens.
The game seems to have some checkpoint system, but despite this, it keeps sending me back to town.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Off the list it goes. Saved me money!

pal GIF

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Duke Nukem Forever was made developed for 12 years by 3DRealms. But they never finished it.
Then GearBox bought the rights and whatever was done, then salvaged what was already done and released it.
Salvage is debatable.

3D Realms/Gearbox best Duke Nukem option would be to develop the game using the original Unreal 1 tech and have it resemble the infamous 2001 trailer.

Xyphie

The present 3D Realms really has no connection to the company that made Duke Nukem 3D/Forever etc. It was bought buy a Danish company when the original 3D Realms folded.

FeralEcho

Salvage is debatable.

3D Realms/Gearbox best Duke Nukem option would be to develop the game using the original Unreal 1 tech and have it resemble the infamous 2001 trailer.
I enjoyed it, it's really not as bad as people say, it's certainly not good compared to old Duke Nukem but compared to some of the broken shit that releases nowadays it's a goddamn masterpiece 😂

xrnzaaas

Sucks to hear about the issues. Maybe some of the problems will disappear or become less annoying in time for the console release, we'll see. I wouldn't buy it now on PC based on the overall reception from the players.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, it's really not as bad as people say, it's certainly not good compared to old Duke Nukem but compared to some of the broken shit that releases nowadays it's a goddamn masterpiece 😂
Yeah, duke forever wasn't that bad. Some journalists were getting their panties in a bunch over having hot chicks and the jokes... lol... which is why I think it scored way lower than it should have.

As for this game. I at first didn't see the original post was from 2020 and went to check out the reviews... damn, that sucks, looks like a good game in the screenshots and video.
So anyone else actually play it?

Ribi

Why was it even in EA when they werent listening to any of the feedback mentioned since 2021

Top Bottom