• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Man, this moved up to a 98%. Can't wait to check it out. I'm going to see if I can this weekend.
Jesus.. 98%?! I got my tickets last week for this Saturday's latest imax 3d showing. The wait is killing me.

geebee

Banned
Going to see this movie over the weekend. I really hope that the theater isnt full of idiots that have to say "oh no!" or other stupid vocal reactions.

There are very few movies worth watching in 3D.

This is one of them. It's not -necessary-, but it helps make the experience that much more. Read Sculli's review.

I'm probably not going to be checking this thread until it releases over here (in Ireland) on the 18th of October in order to avoid spoilers so I'm trying to make up my mind on whether to watch it in 3D now or to stick with the 2D version. Have you seen Pacific Rim? If so, would it be possible if you could post your impressions of the use of 3D in that (not anything specific of course) in comparison to this (even if just as brief as 'I think the 3D was used comparitively' or something of that nature)? I ask because that thread had convinced me to watch the movie in 3D (the only 3D movie I felt 3D had been used in effectively prior to that was Avatar) and it ended up distracting me hugely as the 3D simply did not resonate with me while making it extremely difficult to actually 'focus' (probably not the right word; I'm unsure if I've conveyed what the issue was adequately). I know it may be an odd request in that I know little about how comparable the process of adding the 3D to the films was but ideally I'd like some baseline as to what you think of 3D in other movies as, with my anticipation quite high, I'd rather not go and see the movie in 3D only for it to leave me unable to focus on the visuals, even if it does seem to be effective in adding to the movie to others.

I'm probably not going to be checking this thread until it releases over here (in Ireland) on the 18th of October in order to avoid spoilers so I'm trying to make up my mind on whether to watch it in 3D now or to stick with the 2D version.

Sure, I'll help you out.

I saw Pacific Rim (fights were native CG, rest was post-converted). I liked the 3D, but yeah, I prefer 2D for that just because it makes it a little easier. And there weren't as many 'this deserves 3D' moments.

I'd put Gravity up there with Avatar in terms of 3D use. That may sound hyperbolic, but I've seen it twice so far (probably 4 times by the time this weekend is over) and it is used -extremely- well. Lead platform too.

AV Club and such agree with the thing I posted in the Gravity RT thread way back when too; If possible, see Gravity in 3D, and in the biggest screen possible. Liemax is fine, but this is an experience movie.

Sure, I'll help you out.

I saw Pacific Rim (fights were native CG, rest was post-converted). I liked the 3D, but yeah, I prefer 2D for that just because it makes it a little easier. And there weren't as many 'this deserves 3D' moments.

I'd put Gravity up there with Avatar in terms of 3D use. That may sound hyperbolic, but I've seen it twice so far (probably 4 times by the time this weekend is over) and it is used -extremely- well. Lead platform too.

AV Club and such agree with the thing I posted in the Gravity RT thread way back when too; If possible, see Gravity in 3D, and in the biggest screen possible. Liemax is fine, but this is an experience movie.
Thanks for all of your help, 3D it is then; all that's left is to avoid spoilers until its release.

Buzz Aldrin's review of Gravity:

I was so extravagantly impressed by the portrayal of the reality of zero gravity. Going through the space station was done just the way that I've seen people do it in reality. The spinning is going to happen -- maybe not quite that vigorous -- but certainly we've been fortunate that people haven't been in those situations yet. I think it reminds us that there really are hazards in the space business, especially in activities outside the spacecraft.

I was happy to see someone moving around the spacecraft the way George Clooney was. It really points out the degree of confusion and bumping into people, and when the tether gets caught, you're going to be pulled -- I think the simulation of the dynamics was remarkable.

More at the link.

S1kkZ

just saw it: amazing film with unbelievable visuals. 3d is amazing and this and you really should see it in 3d.

1 or 2 scenes are a bit too...well, lets say less is more sometimes.

a fim that you should really see in the cinema.

geebee

Banned
I was curious about how actual astronauts would view this film. Cool to see Buzz Aldrin enjoyed it. Hearing other impressions has got me pretty hyped despite me initially not wanting to see the movie..

ymmv

Banned
I just came home from the cinema (Imax 3D). What a great, great movie, the best film I've seen in recent years. Absolutely gripping stuff, incredible visuals and fx, virtuoso film making with Cuarons' trademark long continous scenes, great perfomances by Clooney and perhaps even an Oscar worthy performance by Bullock. 3D was great too. I hated Pacific Rim in Imax 3D but this movie was stunning on a big screen.

10 out of 10.

This film also shows that in terms of technical envelope-pushing and attention to detail, James Cameron finally has serious competition.

To think that Cuaron made this on an $80m budget is mind-boggling.

This looks like the kind of great, technically-impressive thriller James Cameron used to make, so many years ago.

Surely the Academy can't ignore Cuaron this time right guys

This film also shows that in terms of technical envelope-pushing and attention to detail, James Cameron finally has serious competition.

I think it's closer to $100m, but still compared to other tentpoles, it's wild.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

Absolutely - some of the shots were completely insane, just feats of planning and meticulous attention to detail - so many 'how did they do this?' moments.

Angry Fork

Saw the other thread updated, I completely forgot this was releasing. I want to go tomorrow or saturday to imax 3d. I'm really glad it's been getting good reviews I've been worried it would be meh, Children of Men was amazing so this has a lot to live up to and I don't want it to be another Elysium compared to District 9.

I also hate Sandra Bullock and find her to be annoying as hell, I can't explain why she just has that look/voice. Hope she's tolerable, Clooney is cool but also hard to take him seriously nowadays as I now see him permanently as his character in burn after reading. That's not a knock on him though I loved that movie/character.

Yep. Can't stop thinking about it. Will see it again in a few days.

Do you think it'll have the effect of Avatar where people need to feel the experience/world again and go a bunch of time? It's been a few weeks since I've seen it, but I feel like I HAVE to go back and experience that feeling of being in space.

UberTag

Do you think it'll have the effect of Avatar where people need to feel the experience/world again and go a bunch of time? It's been a few weeks since I've seen it, but I feel like I HAVE to go back and experience that feeling of being in space.
I suspect I'm going to have to watch it at least 4-5 times in theaters.
I felt compelled to line up for 3 hours for a second screening at TIFF even though I'd already seen it once.

It's an adrenaline rush for all of your senses. You leave the screening needing to decompress due to the experience of watching the film. And then you want that feeling again. It's effectively an audio-visual drug addiction. Gravity just pushes all of the right buttons.

Not to the same degree, but yes for me and a lot of the other geeks out there. Out of the six people I was with, I was the only person who wanted to see it again - the others voicing that they're not sure they wanted to undergo that intensity again.

Anyway, here is a VERY SPOILERY review from another Astronaut, Marsha Ivins: http://ideas.time.com/2013/10/02/astronaut-gravity-gets-me-down/

I know it's silly, but one of the biggest things that excites me about what this movie has achieved in brazen technical terms is how Cameron is going to respond in the future, knowing that he himself felt blown away by this film.

Because there's nothing quite like envelope-pushers being challenged.

I know it's silly, but one of the biggest things that excites me about what this movie has achieved in brazen technical terms is how Cameron is going to respond in the future, knowing that he himself felt blown away by this film.

Because there's nothing quite like envelope-pushers being challenged.

You know he's going to use this technology in Avatar 2-4, somehow. Can't wait.

You know he's going to use this technology in Avatar 2-4, somehow. Can't wait.

Well don't forget that he's been doing R&D since 2010 on new tech for the Avatar sequels. The only thing we actually know about is him developing underwater performance capture and taking the simulcam a lot further along.

Now remember that he's shooting in HFR and that IMAX's around the world will start upgrading to the new-fangled digital laser projection system next year.

I'll be interested to see how that douchebag Kermode complains about 3D this time.

I notice that he never did a review of Hugo.

Top Bottom