• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day chants "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA" at the American Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
American Idiot 2.0 releasing soon, very relevant in today's climate.

I don't want to be an American Alt-right
Don't want a nation under the new Breitbart
And can you hear the sound of Pepe?
The subliminal memes - America is not smart

Gorillaz

Music to have a lot of revolution themes for the next four years
Movies and Video games will have not only more escapism such as comic book movies, but also more portrayals of revolution and more movies and video games depicting strong messages
That was what I thought a few days back. Music games and entertainment are going to est well these next few years. A lot of revolutionary and escapism style of entertainment incoming.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm glad the pendulum has swung the other way since the Dixie Chicks spoke out against Bush and the public turned their backs on them in favor of nationalism.

The more we shame our president elect and tie him to these groups he courted throughout his campaign (and beyond), the harder it will be to escape the image.

whitehawk

Banned
I wanted to make a thread about Protest Music and how there just isn't much if any of it anymore. Even during the W administration there wasn't much and it gotten worst with everything being indie for the sake of being indie and electronic, pop garbage. No message worth listening too. I hope I'm completely wrong.
Only protest song from the Bush era that immedietly pops into mind is Boom by System of a Down. Good song too.

https://youtu.be/bE2r7r7VVic

The Bush years were overflowing in political/protest music. Probably the most anti-establishment punk music had been since the Reagan era.

Kozak

Banned
Im a big fan of celebrities and famous people using their position to speak out against the hate that Trump has brought back into light.

I hope it continues throughout his Presidency.

I guess if nothing else, we might get some sick Green Day albums out of this whole mess.

Good on them.

Not long after the election it occurred to me that two of my favorite albums are American Idiot and Mezmerize/Hypnotize (System of a Down): both written in direct response to a Republican administration.

So that might be the singular silver lining in all of this. And SOAD is producing new music again, just in time.

I wanted to make a thread about Protest Music and how there just isn't much if any of it anymore. Even during the W administration there wasn't much and it gotten worst with everything being indie for the sake of being indie and electronic, pop garbage. No message worth listening too. I hope I'm completely wrong.
Well look what happened when The Dixie Chicks dared to speak up. America is full of "patriotic" idiots.

I don't want to be an American Alt-right
Don't want a nation under the new Breitbart
And can you hear the sound of Pepe?
The subliminal memes - America is not smart
How about this?

My American Idiot 2.0 version with inspiration from your intro:

Don't want to an American Alt-right
Don't want a nation under Trump Media
And can you hear the sound of white suburbia?
The subliminal meme fucked America

Welcome to a new age of tension.
All across a hostile nation,
Where everything isn't going to be okay.

VR dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who are going to follow.
For there aren't enough here to argue.

Well maybe I'm the Liberal America
I'm not a part of the Klan's agenda
Now everyone give up your Miranda
And sing along of the age of deliria

Don't want to be an American Alt-right
A nation controlled by Trump Media
Information funneled as propaganda
It's callin out to 4chan's America.

StayDead

"These liberal has-beens think it's ok to publically insult me at a music awards, this is what's wrong with liberal America" - Trump 2016... probably

Eumi

Surprised so many people are hoping this'll affect their music. They literally just released an album that is very much influenced by recent events, going into stuff like police troubles and whatnot.

Can't wait for people to start yelling about how Green Day should keep out of politics though. Whilst they where their American Idiot T-Shirts.

will Trump tweet at 3AM again?

"Those terrorist punks should be thrown in prison!"

Edit:
Surprised so many people are hoping this'll affect their music. They literally just released an album that is very much influenced by recent events, going into stuff like police troubles and whatnot.

Can't wait for people to start yelling about how Green Day should keep out of politics though. Whilst they where their American Idiot T-Shirts.

Remember, it was very popular to hate Bush; his final approval rating was 22% and 73% of Americans disapproved of how he handled his job. Some of those people grew up and became/remained conservatives, so naturally some (former) Green Day fans are Trump supporters. If his presidency goes as poorly as we expect, Trump will be very unpopular among young people during his presidency -- repeating what happened with Bush culturally.

I know right? They have always done this stuff. It's in pop-punk's blood to rage on recent events. Anyone offended by this is a moron. And a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom