• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

Profanity

- When you select a team, it's not immediately clear what car you are picking as you can only see the wheels. Also, in something like tuner, it doesn't tell you upfront what cars you will be using for the season. I'm sure the info is there it's just not immediately apparent.

Adding to this, it would be nice to see the stats for the cars when you're choosing your sponsor, like the MP shows. Just to get an idea of the relative performances and strengths/weaknesses.

DD

Am I the only one with a weird bug that shows floaty car parts on the track? There was a race that had an entire rear of a prototype car on the track, lol.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Loore, just wanted to mention a couple of things:

- The reverse gird stuff appears to be random. Sometimes your last, sometimes your first, sometimes you're like 5th or something. I'm sure there's some logic to it but I can't work it out. Maybe a quick explanation before a race letting you know why you are in that position?

The reverse grid is not from the first race's result, it's from the current championship standing. Which is a bit weird...

You can get more info for that kind of stuff in the "Event rules" section of the menu before the race.

Just had a go with the first Tuner event, I was saving it for last.

It's surprisingly okay.

Time Attack felt like a normal round of Qualifying with the option for restarting if so desired.

Drifting isn't as crappy as I thought it'd be. The car doesn't automatically spin out of control as easily as it does in the previous installments, and you seem to have more control overall. The scoring system is pretty neat, and the AI is decent enough, but not unfairly so. Not bad Codies, not bad at all.

After sampling all the disciplines I'm actually leaning to Endurance as the most difficult one yet, both in terms of qualifying and winning it. Ravenwest are massive cheaters in those events, even more so than the other disciplines. God knows what uber machines they're using, the gap between the 1st and the 2nd position (both usually held by their team) are so massive, once it crept up to 6 full seconds. God help you if you don't qualify in at least the 2nd spot, once they have the lead they turn up the "nitrous" and they're unreachable.

I've yet to beat them fair and square in any Endurance event, the only way to even have a chance is to cheese them at the corners, taking advantage of their overcautious AI.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Woah. Slow your roll, homie. Them's fightin' words.
To both the notion this is like PGR2 and that PGR2 is apparently better, ummm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMXLoruRdo

No sense of swinging weight around, weird road traction, almost no collision penalty. I can't go back to games like that. I've gotten too used to Codies games of this gen. They just have so much more feeling to them. This game probably has the best sense of traction ever. You really have to pay attention to your gas, break, turning, loft, and the slope of the road all at once, and you directly witness the complex results. Likewise for impacts, it makes many other games seem like a joke. It's understandable for past-gen games, but there are still bumper cars on ice in a lot of modern racers. Even GRID1 seems pretty floaty in comparison.

DD

I love PGR2 and Toca 3, really. I've being playing both games this week before Grid A arrived, and they're still great, bri this new Grid is on another level. The gameplay is better on all aspects (handling, physics, AI, etc). Did you guys noticed how brilliant is the AI of this game?

Bravoexo

I think this is the first codemasters game I've seen where the off track effects/animations don't occur simultaneously between in race and replay...(ex are the jet fighters in the circuit of the americas...)

Loving this game! :)

Also (Warning controversial opinion coming!) I actually really love the cockpit view blurred out like it is, seems to give the view more depth, makes me feel a lot more inside the car.

Great job codies, only little complaint would be that the AI can be a bit crashy in the open wheel disciplines (especially if you start at the back, need to start qualifying I guess!)

Amon37

So I know touring cars is supposed to be about aggressive and trading paint but it's seems I'm getting rammed off track at every corner not just bumps for position.

The Ai is giving zero fucks and I only finished the first races.

IKizzLE

If anyone has a ps3 and is looking to play online in the street discipline(mainly super and hypercar), friend me. PSN: IKizzLE

Online is a barren wasteland. I'd be surprised if more than 10000 copies were sold on the ps3.

So I know touring cars is supposed to be about aggressive and trading paint but it's seems I'm getting rammed off track at every corner not just bumps for position.

The Ai is giving zero fucks and I only finished the first races.

Yeah, and the worse part is that if you try to ram them off, you get sent into a spin more often than not.

When that happens I just hit the ol' restart button.

On Steam you only need to hit the install button from the store page.

Once you've done that it will become enabled when you select the texture quality to > high

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be showing in the properties > dlc window on Steam though, that's quite peculiar.

Dice

I tried setting the graphics to ultra low and it still has hitching problems. Here's a shadow play recording at everything ultra but the stuttering/hitching you see here happens no matter what graphics settings I choose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx1nZmZcHo0
That is what it looks like when my CPU overheats. The first time it ever happened was with Tomb Raider, but a small handful of games drive it too hard, and this was one of them.

Get this running and then play the game:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

When you come out of the game after it hitching like that, check the "Max" column on your CPU cores to see how high they got.

Dice

So this game is not an arcade racer like grid 2?
The definition of "arcade racer" has a big range on it, so it is hard to answer that, but we can say this is far less arcade than GRID 2 and it is more sim than GRID 1.

Certinty

Do Codemasters ever get the difficulties right? On very hard I'm finishing most drifiting events 10-16 where as on hard i'm easily winning them.

Did anyone else beat the first drift event by roughly 1 million points in each of the races?

The rest of the game is about the right level of difficulty for me at the moment though, playing on default settings.

Carlius

Banned
i really dont understand the cockpit view. has there been an explanation as to why it wasnt even designed properly? was it to prove a point that only "5%" of players use it?

Aerocrane

i really dont understand the cockpit view. has there been an explanation as to why it wasnt even designed properly? was it to prove a point that only "5%" of players use it?

Because the game was made in a year there was no time to create detailed cockpit view for all of the cars.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
I am liking the game, but does anyone else feel like your not really driving the cars on the track and it seems like they are just sliding/gliding on the track? Just seems like there is no real weight to the cars and your are throwing the cars into the corners instead of driving them into the corners.

Yep, the touring and GT drive like a rally car on gravel.

Whilst the game is absolutely fantastic I have a minor complaint but it might just be me, I'm struggling to see the difference in textures when I use the high quality texture pack compared to the default textures.

It's like Codies have combined the best bits of Grid 1 and Grid 2 into one sublime game.

JaoSming

Neo Member
I love that I can actually care or hate the other drivers and teams racing with me. I was dealing with Monster in the teams championship going into the second to last race of a street series. Seeing one of them wreck like this (scripted or not, idc) just made me so happy.
http://a.pomf.se/tnewdm.webm
I focused on brake checking and blocking the other non-flippy guy the rest of the race. Got 5th iirc but beat out that team for the championship in the end.

Also found this neat little trick with the audio getting all staticy in tunnels. No idea if that was in previous games or not since I always turned the engineer off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4v0FMd5aY

And props to Codies finally getting rid of those damn "cinematic" bars for replays, thank you.

AU Tiger

That is what it looks like when my CPU overheats. The first time it ever happened was with Tomb Raider, but a small handful of games drive it too hard, and this was one of them.

Get this running and then play the game:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

When you come out of the game after it hitching like that, check the "Max" column on your CPU cores to see how high they got.

CPU and GPU are not hot at all.

Precision shows full GPU usage and temp is around 65~70*C
CPU usage is very low. Core Temp shows none of the cores being over 70*C

For comparison, Crysis 3 will have every single core maxed out with core temp reporting high 80's*C for the CPU and about 75~78*C for the GPU and it runs smoothly.

DD

I had this hiccup problem once (it was much more constant, like one every two seconds), but I quit the race and it never happened again.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

unplugging and plugging the wheel during gameplay seems to fix my wheel issues

i don't think the racing ai is good in this game. on very hard they put up quick laps, but following the two Ravenwest cars for a few laps reveals they have the same scripted ai routine, they take the same line, make the same errors, and go off the track at the same point in exactly the same way, lap after lap. it maybe explains why they smash into you when you are near them, the script is bad... fix this shit codies.

grand prix 4 is still racing ai king.

What did he said? I've watched a few minutes, but when I noticed that he was going to moan in terrible english about the cockpits for 20 minutes, I gave up.

something about needing some black paint to look like him, the guy is a total knob but he's right about the mirrors. i don't care about the low quality cockpits, unblur that shit and give me some mirrors in patch 1.

+1 for adding the remove in-game steering wheel option.

Glad to hear. Is it something you'd like to see more of? Integrated into career more? Or just content with it being an extra party mode?
I'd like to see it as part of the career, but more importantly I'd like to see some new tracks for it, maybe a new vehicle too. I'd be willing to pay for that kind of DLC.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Loore, another bit for the Community Feedback. It would be nice to have a prompt asking you to confirm if you really want to race if you haven't done the qualification.

It's easy to hit race by accident and loose points because you start last.

Watto

Neo Member
Why no mirrors? I can run this at an average of 90fps on a year old PC so I struggle to believe its for performance reasons. The number of times I get punted off by the AI trying a cheeky overtaking move because I can't see them makes me fume. Such a basic thing to have in a racing game as well. A shame because this and a couple of other flaws prevent this from being a must have racing game.

Megasoum

Banned
Why no mirrors? I can run this at an average of 90fps on a year old PC so I struggle to believe its for performance reasons. The number of times I get punted off by the AI trying a cheeky overtaking move because I can't see them makes me fume. Such a basic thing to have in a racing game as well. A shame because this and a couple of other flaws prevent this from being a must have racing game.

It's a performance issue because the game was made for 360 and PS3, not for PC.

NoWayOut

I'm tempted, but after the DLC mess of Grid 2 I am not sure. I am mostly interested in playing online more than the single player campaign.

I see that there is already a season pass for 8 DLC content. I don't mind if it's just different cars and customization, but if they start throwing DLC only tracks and game modes then the online community will be split and eventually die after few months just like in Grid 2.

dalin80

Banned
Does the blurry interior view make anyone else feel like they are driving a 1/48th scale diecast? Just something odd about the visual effect makes the car seem like a small toy.

And props to Codies finally getting rid of those damn "cinematic" bars for replays, thank you.

Yeah, that is a great improvement. Those damn bars were everywhere in their previous games except for the races.

I was wondering if this game was actually going to have those cinematic bars forced into the races too.

VVV Mars VG

Hey Loore, another bit for the Community Feedback. It would be nice to have a prompt asking you to confirm if you really want to race if you haven't done the qualification.

It's easy to hit race by accident and loose points because you start last.

Yes that's happened to me, was in a championship and I then quit the race expecting to be able to try quali again and it gave me zero points, had to do the whole set of races again.

Speech

Yes that's happened to me, was in a championship and I then quit the race expecting to be able to try quali again and it gave me zero points, had to do the whole set of races again.

Did this a little earlier, ALT-F4'd out of the game and after I loaded it back up found I could do quali.

Top Bottom