• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

kafiend

I'm not really getting a good feel for the FFB on my G25. Its much better than It was at default now I've made changes in the profiler etc. but I don't get any FFB on loss of grip. Am I missing something? I want that "wheel goes light" feeling and some grab of getting it back under control.

Also, I really really NEVER want to be called Si if I use my real name by anyone, least of all a game. Not even once. Even worse by a nickname. BIGDOG? Why can't the audio be written in such a way that names are not required.

TJP

Anyone else getting crashes to desktop in this?

I suffered the same in many a Neon Engine game. I haven't even managed to complete a lap yet - straight CTD each time.

My PC is very stable. I haven't had another game crash for over a year. Codemasters doesn't seem to like my PC, I had similar issues with Grid 2.
What is your GPU and what drivers are you using?

I had one crash benchmarking (EVGA GTX 680 & using the latest Nvidia beta drivers) however since then it's been rock solid performance (v-sync'd 60fps) with everything maxed & 4xMSAA.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Edge said:
While opponents are noticeably less aggressive in open-wheeled races compared with touring and street events, they don’t always concede in the same way a human driver might, sticking to their chosen route even though you legitimately out-braked them into a corner. It’s less of a problem once the pack has spread out a little, but in a game that asks so much of you it can be frustrating to have your skilful manoeuvre met with apparent obliviousness
I have noticed that the racers in the front are there legitimately, as in they know what the hell they are doing. In contrast, getting past some cars in the back and middle can be frustrating not because they are skilled at blocking you, but their incredibly stupid way of driving ends up doing so while also not getting them anything. It seems the key to getting past these back guys is to be slightly insane and try to fly into a corner technically way too fast, but at a rate of deceleration that will get you back into proper control just after you pass them... that is if they don't do something stupid and fly into your way.

Another tactic is to press up against the side of them and simply hold the line in a game of chicken until they finally drop back. It's really tense, and makes you feel like a bully, but when they are fucking idiots it is an important lesson for them to learn. It works kind of like this except the physics in this won't allow a corner hold like that, so it needs to be the whole side of your car, and they will drop back rather than hit a wall like that.

But yeah, the top position opponents are actually easier to pass because they seem more respectful/afraid to fuck you both up.

What is your GPU and what drivers are you using?

I had one crash benchmarking (EVGA GTX 680 & using the latest Nvidia beta drivers) however since then it's been rock solid performance (v-sync'd 60fps) with everything maxed & 4xMSAA.

I've got it more reliable now. Just the occasional crash. Removing MSI Afterburner helped - I'd seen online that some people found it caused crashes in Grid 2.

Running an i5 3570K and a 660TI Power Edition. Got everything maxed and running vysynced at 1080p60. So nice and smooth.

I've found over the last hour or so it might crash at the start of the first event, but if it doesn't, then it'll be fine from then on. Neon games have been like this with several PCs I've owned.

Lego Boss

That's makes the trio of Race Driver: GRID, GRID 2 and GRID Autosport all getting a
from EDGE.

Very proud studio :)

That's a real achievement CM, well done! Edge 9s are thoroughly well deserved!

(We need to overlook that Ridge Racer Unboundedededed also got an Edge 9!)

Played a couple hours yesterday on PC w/ high-res texture pack (1080p,Ultra everything, 8xMSAA) and I love the way it looks.

I had a ton of fun and don't mind what they did with the cockpit view. If you make a point to stare at the interior while you drive I can see it being bothersome, but I just focus on the road.

TJP

Did CM just push out an update? I ask because Steam just downloaded 14.6 MB...and I can't locate release notes.

Certinty

Managed to trade in and get a brand new sealed copy of the black edition from CEX for £32. Yeeeeeeeee, so now i've bought every CM racing game on the 360/PS3 at launch!

Arucardo

Racing online is insanely fun, had some epic street races just now.

Also, gotta give huge props for the car sounds, sounds absolutely lovely on the 5.1 system I have hooked up to my pc.

Megasoum

Banned
So Loore... Grid A is out and it's the Silverstone GP next week... That's like a perfect timing opportunity for a F1 game... You know, just sayin' lol

MaxiLive

Can't wait to try out my copy tonight. Great job guys :)

Just watching some of the videos and what I've seen on and off it is such a good looking game. It might not have all the fancy "next-gen" graphic effects but the atmosphere and spectacle of the race looks very good!

Phinor

Man, I really wanted to enjoy all aspects of this game but it just fails to deliver in two critical areas, one of which is very easy to fix too.

The biggest crime of all is that it simply doesn't feel like I'm driving a car. Clean precision driving is out of the window and instead you have to throw your car into corners almost as if you were driving rally cars on gravel. There's very little feeling of driving using a fanatec wheel. I was hoping they'd go for that semi arcade, semi simulator middle-ground that is occupied by Forza, Gran Turismo and few others. Even Codemasters' other franchise, F1 series, manages to do it very well. I really enjoy driving F1 2013 although it's clearly in the semi sim, semi arcade realm.

The other big issue is AI speed. Very hard AI just isn't fast enough. It's a common problem with many racing games with limited AI options. Forza suffers from it, most recent Codemasters games suffer from it etc. That being said, when I start from the last position, I really enjoy driving against the AI at least until I have passed the pack which often happens in few laps, but thankfully not always.

Track & car selection is excellent, visually it's very nice and runs extremely well. I could live with the slow AI especially if I turn down the race length to minimum. But man, the driving model just completely fails to deliver. Maybe it gets better with other cars, I have only tried few of them so far. Maybe the physics are moddable? I haven't really followed how the recent Codemasters games are in that regard. All this negativity aside, it's mostly a great game and I'll playing it for a little while longer but I'm afraid I'll soon go back to F1 2013 for my "compete against AI" fix.

Aerocrane

Drifting events are really difficult when playing with the keyboard. This took me about 30 minutes.
ibcwPl1CGDzTvF.jpg

Well done to Codemasters for including female AI driver names and female spoken names in the player profiles. It's not a big, complicated or time consuming thing to do - but sadly all too uncommon.

DD

The problem with the handling model of this game, I think, is that that they've implemented some nice layers of realism in it, but the base is too arcadey. That's where the feeling of disconnection comes from. They tried to please both sides of the spectrum, tried to make it not too hard, but the funny thing is that it actually gets harder because of this disconnection. Yesterday I tried the Formula A cars, and my gosh, they're so twitchy, much more than the Formula 1 2013 cars, so instead of being easier, it actually gets harder because of that.

That aside, seriously, it's almost perfection if the form of a racing game. The free practice, the qualification laps, and the race length options are the best things about this game. I'm in awe! I'm loving it!

Set a qualy lap!

That only applies to the first race of the set though.

If you actually perform too well and get first in the first race, you're penalized in the second one of the set and have to start last again.

Seems to apply to those with Qualy laps though, the ones where you can't do qualy (e.g. Street Racing) you always start last.

If you actually perform too well and get first in the first race, you're penalized in the second one of the set and have to start last again.

Seems to apply to those with Qualy laps though, the ones where you can't do qualy (e.g. Street Racing) you always start last.

The second race has a reverse grid as this mirrors real world motorsports.

Qualifying is not available in all disciplines tho.

Yes, that's correct and a good point.

Profanity

Has anyone using the second screen function noticed their framerate drastically increase with its use? I was getting 65-70 FPS for single screen maxed with 770/3570k and it has risen to ~90 with the 'Broadcast High' second screen option. Really weird.

DD

Loore, I've noticed that there's a 5 events limit in the custom cup option, and that you can't save your progress on it. I don't know if this is too much to ask (probably it is), but can you try to convince the team about the possibility of longer custom cups (like 20 races, for example) and be able to save the progress through it on a future patch? Pweeese?

TJP

Not that I know of, I'm not seeing anything here.
Might have been a few corrupt files that Steam replaced; the two Grid exe files were updated according to Windows date modified list.

That might be the issue; Nvidia posted "For Battlefield: Hardline players, and those anticipating GRID Autosport and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, the GeForce 340.43 beta drivers are a recommended update".

Google

Welcome to touring cars. It's incredibly fun and means you aren't spending the entire race out in front.

This game is supposed to be hard right? I'm struggling big time even on medium.

Yep. Funnily enough, you actually make it easier by turning off all the assists except for ABS, if you haven't already done so.

Makes the vehicles skid a bit too easily though if you apply too much steering in one direction, it's quite sensitive.

Folk were commenting that the assists actually gimp the performance of your vehicle especially around corners and straights.

leng jai

Yep. Funnily enough, you actually make it easier by turning off all the assists except for ABS, if you haven't already done so.

Makes the vehicles skid a bit too easily though if you apply too much steering in one direction, it's quite sensitive.

Folk were commenting that the assists actually gimp the performance of your vehicle especially around corners and straights.

This could be part of my problem. I left everything at default and it seems like my car can't catch up at all.

hamchan

Traction control always slows down your car in seemingly every racing game. Turn those things off! Makes you faster, makes you a better racer and makes the whole experience more satisfying.

Top Bottom