• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grumpy Cat made $100 million...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grumpy's earnings have dwarfed those of many of Hollywood's biggest names, such as Gwyneth Paltrow who, according to Forbes magazine, earned just over $18.6 million last year.
Gwyneth Paltrow for Hollywood's biggest, really? I'd pick Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Lawrence to compare earnings with.

I would have to do that frown if someone I know actually bought products based off this cat.

IG1.jpg

FR_BS_GRUMPY_6oz_13_highres.jpg

Mr Swine

Banned
Mhmmm. Grumpy Cat gettin' that coin. WHEN will your fave???

*side-note* my friend "met" her in Vegas and was not allowed to touch her. She got one pic for $15 and...... it's clear from the pic that the meet and greet was a fraud. Grumpy was "asleep" but it's clear from the pic it was a puppet. LMAOOOO

$15? It should've have costed $150 to meet such a big celebrated movie star!

Well $15 is way to much :/

Rootbeer

Banned
Yup, I saw the grumpy cat friskies in store last week. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "must be an imitation or homage" - NOPE. They literally licensed it.

The world has changed. Time for me to seek out an ugly or strange looking pet so I can make bank

My current cat is not pulling its weight

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
hahaha that's funny, I'd love to see the pic of that puppet (with your friend cut out of the picture of course)

LOOOL I'm still waiting for her to give me a copy of the pic, I requested one!

*side-note* my friend "met" her in Vegas and was not allowed to touch her. She got one pic for $15 and...... it's clear from the pic that the meet and greet was a fraud. Grumpy was "asleep" but it's clear from the pic it was a puppet. LMAOOOO

$15 for a picture? With a cat?

Cat might be grumpy but someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Mhmmm. Grumpy Cat gettin' that coin. WHEN will your fave???

That's hilarious.

$100 million really?? Wow ok internet prepare yourself for Bonzo Woofington aka Happy Dog.

uBl3wKj.jpg

Now where is my internet money??

Thats how this works right?

Tom Nook

We police dogs risking their lives being paid in treats while Grumpy Cat being paid millions of dollars??!!!

Opiate

I don't really have a problem with this observation, but I find people are generally far more forgiving of their own stupid crap than they are of others. People will make fun of Grumpy Cat, but go home and watch reality shows. Or they'll make fun of reality shows, and go home and play Metal Gear or GTA.

I'm okay condemning stupid crap as long as we're consistent. I'm also okay saying "well, we all enjoy some stupid crap from time to time, so let's not be too hard on ourselves" and leave it at that.

entremet

Cats does nothing and creates 100 million dollars of wealth, yet your regular blue collar worker will never see one hundredth of that.

We got some messed up incentives.

DJ_Lae

I'm not surprised somehow. I don't even think I'm that upset about it, as stupid as I think it is.

I know my wife stumbled across this in our area's Kijiji the other day - looking for a grumpy faced cat asap. "My family and I are looking for a kitten or young cat that looks exactly like the grumpy cat would like to find one before Christmas if possible"

Great.

I mean, I have a cat who looks miserable as fuck but I didn't get him because of grumpy cat. Now I'm just embarrassed.

freshair

I remember when the picture of her first showed up on reddit.

The meme was nearly instaneous and everyone loved her.

Opiate

I'm confused here. I don't see how Metal Gear and GTA are akin or even similar to watching reality shows.

They're stupid, puerile entertainment.

Which, again, is totally fine, but people tend to be much more critical of other people's stupid, puerile crap than they are on their own. One of my mother's friends, for example, was hugely defensive of soap operas, insisting they were much more serious than other people thought; she just didn't like admitting she was watching stupid crap.

There are lots of examples of this phenomenon: girls who roll their eyes when guys watch football all Friday, but turn around and read romance novels. Guys who freely admit Football is stupid, but who think Wrestling is an important social critique, and so forth.

I tried to watch the christmas special because the idea alone was ridiculous enough. Like.. 2 minutes in? I think. I couldn't take any more. It was so bad.

It's just a cat. I don't see what's the big deal. If people like the cat, fine. There are a lot worse things out there that's making tons of money on image alone.

spliced

I didn't even know there was a Grumpy Cat, I just thought any frowning cat was called a grumpy cat. People like the ugliest pets smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom