• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: SA review topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
914983_20041025_screen008.jpg

Can't wait...you know, it would be great if they revamp the airplane controles in the PC version to make it like Battlefield's.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The IGN review was written better and was mor einformative than gamespot's... weird.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Judges ruling? Sorry, but the judges say you cannot compare a PSone to PS2 sequel. But they'll allow MGS2 to MGS3 or R&C2 to R&C3 or any game with a sequel on the same console! Oh and they say the game has to be rated highly in the first place so the sequel has high expectations.
OK, you might as well make up the rule that the game also has to have only four letters in it's name, first of which being 'H', then you'll have all bases covered :p

Still, I'll give it one more shot:

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS2 8.8
Jak II PS2 9.1

DrLazy

[DRUDGE REPORT TROLL]

IGN REPORTS... Does the framerate still stutter? Is pop-in and draw distance still an issue? Are there any collision quandaries or other graphics-related bugs? Are the sound effects still tame by other action game standards? Does the AI ever have stupid moments or not perform the way you'd want it to? And is it true that there's absolutely no form of online play whatsoever? To be honest, the answer to all those questions is a definite yes.
DEVELOPING...

[/DRUDGE REPORT TROLL]

Property of Microsoft said:
Actually, the places in got slagged on were the pop-up, collision detection, and textures; they could fix that on the Box.

BTW: I dont have the patience to wade through 6 pages of IGN review crap. I just read the blurbs at the end. Thats for every platform so dont get your panties in a bunch.

Oh and Ill be playing Halo 2 for at least that long so......

LOL. Where's that big purple crying picture.

Sony and Take-Two are going market the shit out this. You know, the GTA series is the only series that I know of that has billboard advertisement.

Word of mouth are going to send sales through the roof, I go back on what I've said about the possible sales and score of GTA:SA in EGM.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually, the places in got slagged on were the pop-up, collision detection, and textures; they could fix that on the Box.
If graphics technicalities are what you're looking for in GTA, you're looking at a wrong game. GTA:SA looks pretty mediocre by PS2's standards, and even PC and Xbox versions of the two previous games are nothing to admire when it comes to visuals, and suffer from those same problems they mentioned, but to a slightly lesser degre.

Marconelly said:
If graphics technicalities are what you're looking for in GTA, you're looking at a wrong game. GTA:SA looks pretty mediocre by PS2's standards, and even PC and Xbox versions of the two previous games are nothing to admire when it comes to visuals, and suffer from those same problems they mentioned, but to a slightly lesser degre.

Look at my name. Graphics are the ONLY thing I care about.

I'll help you out as well.
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (PS) - 9.3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (PS) - 9.9
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (PS2) - 10
Of course, since then it's gone down...

Che

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
Well GTA:SA is far better than any Nintendo game this generation, so I think IGN is right.

I think that number under your nick should be reduced to 3. Anyway I can't wait to play the game. I heard it's huge, is this true? My opinion though is that the game got overated just like the rest of the series. I just hope it won't be an expansion to GTA3 like vice city was cause I'll be utterly dissapointed.

Mrbob

Che said:
I think that number under your nick should be reduced to 3. Anyway I can't wait to play the game. I heard it's huge, is this true? My opinion though is that the game got overated just like the rest of the series. I just hope it won't be an expansion to GTA3 like vice city was cause I'll be utterly dissapointed.

This is true. Vice City felt exactly like an expansion pack. But Rockstar had two years for San Andreas and it sounds like they were able to pack the game with much more than it ever had before. Even expanding beyond basic gameplay concepts which Vice City didn't really address, just adapted in a new form.

Che said:

It's like an expansion. Only with double the thing in Vice City, double the mini-games, double the missions, and double the features.

Che

Banned
Littleberu said:
It's like an expansion. Only with double the thing in Vice City, double the mini-games, double the missions, and double the features.

You scare me. Have you played it? Cause if that's true I better rent it first. And why for god's sake did they rate it that high then(especially Gamespot which I usually trust)? I just hope MrBob is true and you're totally absolutely wrong. :)

Che said:
You scare me. Have you played it? Cause if that's true I better rent it first. And why for god's sake did they rate it that high then(especially Gamespot which I usually trust)? I just hope MrBob is true and you're totally absolutely wrong. :)

Huh. It's Grand Theft Auto you know. It won't change a lot from one game to another.

Let me ask you a question : What would you change? I wouldn't change anything about Vice City, but I'd add more and more. 2 players co-op is a big start IMO.

Mrbob

Littleberu said:
Huh. It's Grand Theft Auto you know. It won't change a lot from one game to another.

Let me ask you a question : What would you change? I wouldn't change anything about Vice City, but I'd add more and more. 2 players co-op is a big start IMO.

Better framefrate. Adjust shooting controls. Ability to swin...those off the top of my head. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would have liked a Wreckless (XB) quality graphics engine powering the game. :p The freedom would feel so much better if it looked that nice...

Che

Banned
Littleberu said:

I don't know I've played many sequels but Vice City was the sequel that I really hated. I mean I played it for 1-2 hours and I felt cheated. Mayby it's cause it's was the exact same game with a few tricks more. And I ask you: Who can stand playing (and paying) a sequel (or expansion) after another when the game remains exactly the same? (Sims fans don't answer that I don't really respect you) And the question can't be answered by me cause I'm not a game developer. They, who are, should sit down, get their brains working and bring some freaking innovation cause that's their damn job!

dark10x said:
I would have liked a Wreckless (XB) quality graphics engine powering the game. :p The freedom would feel so much better if it looked that nice...

Freedom comes from scale and size, not graphics quality. A super high rez bilboard isn't going to do shit for the feeling of freedom.

Che said:
I don't know I've played many sequels but Vice City was the sequel that I really hated. I mean I played it for 1-2 hours and I felt cheated. Mayby it's cause it's was the exact same game with a few tricks more. And I ask you: Who can stand playing (and paying) a sequel (or expansion) after another when the game remains exactly the same? (Sims fans don't answer that I don't really respect you) And the question can't be answered by me cause I'm not a game developer. They, who are, should sit down, get their brains working and bring some freaking innovation cause that's their damn job!

They did bring innovation. That's what you don't understand. They brought 2 players co-op for many mini-games, they made all vehicles litteraly playable (even the damn train is playable...), they made 3 big cities, with a lot of difference from each other, etc, etc.

"Mayby it's cause it's was the exact same game with a few tricks more."

Eh? It's called a sequel. Nintendo, EA, etc all do it and still review / sell well. Do you hate sports games every year too?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
DJ Demon J said:
Well GTA:SA is far better than any Nintendo game this generation, so I think IGN is right.

You haven't played GTA: SA, that means you are trolling Nintendo.

Nintendo Trolls Until Permaban: 3

I'm picking this up tommorow, can't fucking wait. Excluding GTA2 the series gets so much better each time. When you add the second greatest city on earth (Vegas), it's impossible that this game will be anything but supcredibulous.

Mrbob

I'm interested in the stat aspect of San Andreas.

From what I've read, you have core skills that you can upgrade through use in the game.

Che

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
"Mayby it's cause it's was the exact same game with a few tricks more."

Eh? It's called a sequel. Nintendo, EA, etc all do it and still review / sell well. Do you hate sports games every year too?

As I said I've played sequels but for some strange reason the GTA one seemed like an expansion to me which I really hated. I can't really explain why this happened with the particular game, so I'll just shut up and wait San Andreas to be released till I speak again about the series.

Mrbob said:
I'm interested in the stat aspect of San Andreas.

From what I've read, you have core skills that you can upgrade through use in the game.

Yeah, if you do a lot of bike, your biking skill will increase (giving you less chance of falling of your bike), and etc.

Mrbob

Che said:
As I said I've played sequels but for some strange reason the GTA one seemed like an expansion to me which I really hated. I can't really explain why this happened with the particular game, so I'll just shut up and wait San Andreas to be released till I speak again about the series.

Heh, I completely understand what you mean about Vice City. It wasn't really so much a sequel. It was a remake of GTA3 in 80s clothing. San Andreas actually looks like it is taking the series to another level. I'll find out in a little while when I pick up the game how different it feels from Vice City.

Solid

When I see that 9.9 over at IGN I can't help thinking what da fuck happened to Manhunt? I mean, it's the same team right? How come that failed and this got 0.1 from being perfect?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
9.9 is kinda ridiculous (not saying that it doesn't deserve it because I don't know). It's like the PS2 crew is DARING the Microsoft or Nintendo guys to rate their game the exact same or higher.

Mrbob said:
Heh, I completely understand what you mean about Vice City. It wasn't really so much a sequel. It was a remake of GTA3 in 80s clothing. San Andreas actually looks like it is taking the series to another level. I'll find out in a little while when I pick up the game how different it feels from Vice City.

Yeah yeah. Like you'll come here posting impressions if the game is good! :p You're not gonna sleep tonight, Mrbob.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
9.9 is kinda ridiculous (not saying that it doesn't deserve it because I don't know). It's like the PS2 crew is DARING the Microsoft or Nintendo guys to rate their game the exact same or higher.
:lol. Yeah. If they rate it lower they concede GOTY. If they rate it higher they get "OMGWTFNOGAMEISPERFECT" slammed. If they rate it the same they're doing GTA damage control. Reviewers are in a no win situation. Fanboys are pigs in muddyshit. And Gamers are in heaven :D

TheDuce22

Banned
IGN REPORTS... Does the framerate still stutter? Is pop-in and draw distance still an issue? Are there any collision quandaries or other graphics-related bugs? Are the sound effects still tame by other action game standards? Does the AI ever have stupid moments or not perform the way you'd want it to? And is it true that there's absolutely no form of online play whatsoever? To be honest, the answer to all those questions is a definite yes.

So is this true? I think ill wait for the xbox version.

Bristow

Banned
Yeah, after hearing about all the framerate problems, I'm gonna wait on the PC or Xbox version. Sucks having to wait, but it's not like there isn't 500 other games to play right now.

Hellraizah

A GTA game can't be so close to perfection.

I will never trust any IGN review ever again (I don't do it since they rated Raw 2 for Xbox above 9).

I'll only believe them if they give 10 to Halo 2.

Hellraizah

sonycowboy said:
LOL. That's all you got? It's got to be tough for you guys :D

I'm almost sorry.
Agree. These 2 weeks will seem like eternity. Then, after that, we get the game of the decade, but oh my god, are those 2 weeks gonna be painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom