• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: SA review topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

9.9? Gotta be fucking kidding me. I find it hard to believe the game is THAT good. Oh well.

One thing though, they said besides draw distance the game looks "beautiful". I respectfully disagree. You really can not classify the visuals in SA as beautiful - that's a big exaggeration.

Ranger X

GTASA rules just as it's reviews so far! Bow down to the GOTY...
GOTG? (game of this gen)...
GOTD? (game of the last decade)

You choose but it's sure one of those 3 titles.

AniHawk

PS2 GotY = R&C:UYA. Everyone knows this.

I'll have to hear some impressions from someone who hated VC on this game before I buy it. VC left a bad taste in my mouth (mostly due to it being fucking buggy as hell).

jett

D-Member
Sullichin said:
9.9? Gotta be fucking kidding me. I find it hard to believe the game is THAT good. Oh well.

One thing though, they said besides draw distance the game looks "beautiful". I respectfully disagree. You really can not classify the visuals in SA as beautiful - that's a big exaggeration.

Actually, I'd agree with the beautiful comment. The game looks really great, much, much, much better than Vice City. SA makes VC look like a muthafuckin' piece of shit.

AniHawk said:

I'll have to hear some impressions from someone who hated VC on this game before I buy it. VC left a bad taste in my mouth (mostly due to it being fucking buggy as hell).

VC left a bad taste in my mouth too, I'm hoping for the best...I'm going to take a chance and get this game. But if someone with the same outlook on the GTA series would speak up positively on GTA:SA, it would ease some of my fears.

SantaC

AniHawk said:

I just found these scores from a euro mag called Player 1. I had only seen perfect 10s for R&C3 before this.

Rachet and Clank: UYA - 7
OutRun 2 - 7
Super Mario Ball - 3
Assault Suit Valken - 5
Tony Hawks Underground 2 - 5
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - 9
PokemonLeaf Green & Fire Red - 7
Star Wars: Battlefront - 7
NBA Ballers - 7
Def Jam: Fight for NY - 7
Mario versus Donkey Kong - 6
PSI-OPS: TMC - 5
Fifa 2005 - 7
Pro Evolution 4 - 9
Rockey Legends - 6
The Oneechanbara - 1
Crash Twinsanity - 5
Fable - 9
Sly 2 - 7
Sims 2 - 5
Ty the tasmanian Tiger 2 - 5
Eye toy play 2 - 7

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SantaCruZer said:
I just found these scores from a euro mag called Player 1. I had only seen perfect 10s for R&C3 before this.

Rachet and Clank: UYA - 7
OutRun 2 - 7
Super Mario Ball - 3
Assault Suit Valken - 5
Tony Hawks Underground 2 - 5
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - 9
PokemonLeaf Green & Fire Red - 7
Star Wars: Battlefront - 7
NBA Ballers - 7
Def Jam: Fight for NY - 7
Mario versus Donkey Kong - 6
PSI-OPS: TMC - 5
Fifa 2005 - 7
Pro Evolution 4 - 9
Rockey Legends - 6
The Oneechanbara - 1
Crash Twinsanity - 5
Fable - 9
Sly 2 - 7
Sims 2 - 5
Ty the tasmanian Tiger 2 - 5
Eye toy play 2 - 7

I like these reviews best... what is Pro Evolution 4??

Well well. I'm gonna write something quick, just to debunk some of the false "gameplay impressions".

I played the game for 40 min at least.

The framerate DOES suck. It's GTA damnit. It's not surprising. It does suck, but damn is the city big! Seriously, if you thought Vice City was big, wait until you see Los Santos. I didn't even go to the country side yet. The framerate sucks, but the most important thing, it doesn't change the gameplay at all. Yeah, you get some slowdown, but they last 2 sec max (well, if it's not a big crash a-la-Burnout 3), and then you're up to 27.5 FPS again. A stable 27.5 FPS.

About the graphics : It looks a LOT better than Vice City. Seriously, there is so much variety in Los Santos building and texture wise, it's crazy. Dust and blur effects are awesome, even if they are over-used nowadays.

Gameplay wise, the aiming system is a LOT better, you can do headshots and things like that. The shovel rocks. There's like a ragdoll physics, even though it's not really rag doll. It's just great. One cool thing, people just don't jump on your car if you hit them, but will try to hang on your car. Awesome, seriously. The BMX is cool, though a little useless (I don't know how to do tricks, well if you can anyway.)

As for "streaming problems" with an old PS2, I have an old PS2, don't take care of it much, and didn't see any problems yet. Yeah, there are pop-ups, and sometimes the PS2 make some strange noise, but who cares, you've got Kiss playing on the radio and you're driving in an awesome city. Really.

So far, the game is awesome. Didn't do a lot of missions, but hanging around is so much fun.

TheDuce22

Banned
Isnt the game coming to xbox and pc just like the other two? I dont think this is a case of xbots vs whatever ps2 fans are called.

Yusaku

My favorite thing is that they've finally done a good job of making the city feel alive, and not just revolving around you. Police will finally chase other cars (not just chase on foot, like in VC), cars will pull into houses and businesses, people on the street will talk to eachother and hold hands, etc. On the other hand every parking lot and garage is totally empty, save for a car or two, when in reality they should probably be at capacity all the time in the day.

While targeting/combat is much better they seemed to have really wussed out on the longer/more convuluted missions. There was one mission with TWO armor powerups, and a life powerup in plain sight during the misison.

yeah hows about we start banning the next xbot to come into a gta sa "review" thread to state how they dont need this game because they are getting "halo 2"

(and for the record I have an xbox and halo 2 isnt even on my radar.)

Hellraizah

ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah hows about we start banning the next xbot to come into a gta sa "review" thread to state how they dont need this game because they are getting "halo 2"

Stop trolling Halo 2 :p

im not trolling halo 2, I just have no interest in it when Im buying half life 2 a week before and I have a pc that isnt 10 years old.

but neither are relevant to the thread title is all im saying.

Che

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:

Seriously now guys, the trolling from xbots has hit critical levels. I mean there is random trolling from nbots (thank god Leviathan got banned cause he was driving me crazy with his stupidity) and sonybots but I can't understand all this non-stop trolling. Is there a link or something to gaming age, on teamxbox forums?

its either to downplay gta because they do not "agree with it", lack of ps2 ownership

I dunno id take a "lesser port" if it meant I can play the game 9 months sooner (and ftr ill be buying the gta:sa pc version also)

TheDuce22

Banned
I bought the first two on ps2, barely played them and later sold them, bought the gta pack on xbox and barely played that. Im not a huge fan of the series but its worth owning and to me its worth waiting for the superior version. Its as simple as that.

golem

i wasnt gonna get it this year and was gonna try to hold out for the xbox or pc version, since <other games> would probably be taking up a large amount of my time, but after reading various reviews and impressions i think i will have to pick it up for ps2 afterall..

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Edit Quote out of context!!!

WHAT??

I as told that the game play was totally different to the other GTA games last night on this message board!

Still it sucks that I am playing VC while you guys are playing SA!!

I might wait for the hype to die down before buying it, because my back log is huge and I can buy two games in my back log rather then one new game!

Still the game looks hella fun!

AniHawk

Do The Mario said:
WHAT??

I as told that the game play was totally different to the other GTA games last night on this message board!

The framerate dipping doesn't make the gameplay worse is what he meant.

Loved GTA3 and Vice City. Can't wait for this one. I'll probably trade in the PS2 version for the Xbox version if it comes next year, but I'll play the heck of it until then.

I played the game for 40 min at least.

The framerate DOES suck. It's GTA damnit. It's not surprising. It does suck, but damn is the city big! Seriously, if you thought Vice City was big, wait until you see Los Santos.

That's a 9.9?

Halo 2 has a lot to live up to.........

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
siamesedreamer said:
I've played this game twice before on my Xbox.......

dude, god loves him some xbox...but this game is brilliant. I'll buy that version for the graphical upgrade but it's a big disc of joy so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom