• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

Went through the torture mission again last night.... I've beat the game 10 times now and I'm sure I've replayed it a few times, and it's still a pretty intense scene. I mean, it's not a big deal if you watch it randomly on Youtube but if you're immersed in the game, black room with loud surround sound, it's a pretty dark scene.

I think it's really underrated how good the scene is though.

for reference to see what i'm describing below, Youtube links (no ads BTW i'll always disable if I'm going to share my own) to the intro scene and then the tortune part (big spoilers)
Torture Scene 1
Tortune Scene 2

SPOILERS
It has some real good dry wit... the opening conversation where Michael replies to Trevor "just said the same thing to my wife" is so understated that I barely understood it the first time I rushed through the game but it's probably a good example of how on-point Michael's dialogue always is. Michael's acting is really good, too... like when Trevor says to Dave Norton, "yeah we did [meet]", you can see Michael's face expression far in the background reacting and darting. The entire scene has really good face acting and dialogue/tone. Ironically, it's one of Trevor's most compassionate scenes because he's actually protecting Micheal. You can see see in his face and here in his voice that when he tells Michael to run along, he's basically looking out for him, recognizing that Michael is uncomfortable (you can see this in his body language in the whole scene).

Rest of the scene is sometimes pretty harsh. I like the scene though. The actual torture gameplay I never really get bothered by, but when he passes out and comes to, and cries pitifully "I'm still here...." or "the light... let me go toward it" it's pretty harsh. and the music is really good, too. Tangerine Dream on point, as usual. The ending was pointless though, it felt like tacked on political commentary -- Trevor should have just executed him or left him. Heck, even take him home -- just lose the ironic commnentary (torturing is for the torturer, torture gameplay was just highlighted... ok)

preparing to do the prep work for Heist 2 now... I think this is one of the best parts of the game

I love the slower atmospheric and planning missions in this game... During its stake-out and trailing scene, every time I heard the above GTA V track, or (video showing it in-game) the slower piece of the beginning part is from the same dynamic track and plays during the (spoilers in this single link too)
janitor stakeout
( here's a second example of it) every time I hear pieces of those more synth stakeout/slow mood tracks from the score... It makes me think of this track in Shadowrun (SNES). Specifically, with this one from GTA V. A tiny bit of this one with this one from GTA V ...and this one too but very distantly... It's obviously not the same but as a big fan of both Shadowrun SNES and Genesis games, I keep being reminded of them by GTA V for whatever reason. I just thought that was cool, and my impression of the synthisizers in GTA V's score were very 80s/Miami Vice but also bit Shadowrun- and cyberpunk-esque in a few tracks.

Some big parts were... at least most of the Heists. Especially the set-up missions. Truthfully, I think my favorite moments in V (or any GTA) are probably missions like Military Hardware, Bugstar Equipment, Minsub, etc where you're just sort of free roaming and choosing your own path... and you can sort of take your time, set up your own plan or roleplay, begin it at night or with a pre-planned approach, and just in general the atmosphere and vibe of that Tangerine Dream music fits those missions soooo much. Same with a few of the beginning Heist missions like Scouting the Port or Cleaning out the Bureau. Especially the 2nd one.. when you're doing the stake-out scene, it feels so Drive-ish or 80s synth cyberpunk esque. Every time I hear it I am reminded of the cyberpunk Shadowrun game on Sega Genesis and doing night 'runs (heists) on Mega-Corp HQs.

Combined with the sort of Michael Mann esque atmosphere (there's a part in Hood Safari where Franklin takes cover that looks like a perfect copy of a Michael Mann scene and Michael Mann camera) and Tangerine Dream soundtrack did just that, and made its stake-outs, set-up, scouting, and especially trailing missions more immersive and ominous, tense, gripping.

IMACOMPUTA

Yeah. I've found it's best to change lobbies when that happens. You can find good players and non griefers but it takes some time. Rockstar really doesn't do anything effective to stop griefers. There is no point staying in a lobby if you have no friends there and there is an asshole like that there. Also try asking around in forums and find people who like to play like you do to play with. My ultimate goal is to find enough good players I can just do invite only servers and still have people to play with.

If you guys are playing on PS4, add me. I hate RDM and would be down to play together. My PSN is IMACOMPUTA.

MrBali

Neo Member
The wait was worth it. I can't describe how much I'm enjoying this right now. Just got my PS4 when gta V launched and didn't even touch Destiny yet, I probably won't for a while too.

Basketball

Leti Reyes - 23
Loves parachuting and off-roading
KHv9zWj9YEW790-ZWDoS_w_0_0.jpg

Acorn

Can you use the kraken sub for the nuclear waste collections? Dunno if I buy sonar collections with Franklin if it'll work.

Reule

Does Trevor get the Hatchet for free on a mission or something? I think I might've found it somewhere on accident while free roaming. I definitely didn't buy it from the store. I do remember picking something up on someone's porch in Blaine County, it may have been the Hatchet.

Raptomex

I thought nudity was only in the stripclubs when you pay?
Last gen you could go to the Richman Mansion and topless women would be standing around. At least at night. I went there in the PS4 version and they were all wearing tops. Wtf? Why remove/censor that? I slaughtered the entire party in my anger... then the cops slaughtered me. But not without a fight.

Finally got around to booting this up. Quite good looking, although in my short hour with the game so far, first person mode seems really jarring. I'm sure I'll adapt :D

Furyous

Is it possible to earn the 15 hour first person trophy by leaving your character in first person mode for 15 hours standing in a safehouse? Can we customize aircraft/boats in this game?

IMACOMPUTA

Anybody else having these issues?
My settings aren't saving. Everytime I boot the game, it sends me to story mode even though i selected launch flow - online. My aim settings and everything else is set to default. It's getting really annoying.

Also, I load up the game and my characters don't have any weapons in SP.

I've tried setting everything how it needs to be and then manually saving the game, but the settings never stick after a restart.

Acorn

Is it possible to earn the 15 hour first person trophy by leaving your character in first person mode for 15 hours standing in a safehouse? Can we customize aircraft/boats in this game?
Probably if you get a string around the analog stick because it times out/controller turns off.

Chris_C

The first person view has meant I'm spending a LOT more time just walking around the city to get from mission to mission, rather than driving there. The downside is I don't get to listen to as much music. The upside is I've already maxed Michael's stamina meter... and I haven't even performed the first heist yet.

I have to say though, I'm having a tough time with aiming in first person. The dead zone is huge. I've tried partial and full auto locks, but for whatever reason I find those mods much more jarring than in third person.

Jedi2016

POM and Tessellation?

JJDqQWl.jpg

O0dDlhR.jpg
It's just POM. I don't think it's doing tessellation. It's also used on low-cut grass, like in front of the observatory, and probably on the golf course (I haven't checked there). It even moves around your characters feet when you walk on it. Pretty impressive details.

It is so fun driving around Sandy Shores because you can largely ignore the roads. Just drive straight toward the goal marker and avoid a few obstacles.

Is it just me or is the volume on the low side? I'm finding it hard to hear things, like the radio and environment sounds and such despite having it at same volume level. My other games are just more louder. I'm playing it through my TV speakers.

This is on the roof in Franklin's neighborhood. I had to take the screen while he was climbing up the roof or else you wouldn't see the POM effect ( or tessellation ;)

7c01VFz.jpg

sorry for the double post.

Chabbles

Wow, can you do more of these? Maybe one near the Alamo Sea?
Very, very nice.
Please do a few more at least, and if you haven't done a Youtube upload of a time lapse, please do one if you can.
gorgeous, great shot.

Thanks, I found a spot to do a nice shot of the city from, maybe tomorrow. But here's some lightening.. Sony Golds on during a thunder storm is amazing, i like how the DS rumble gets stronger with the harder claps of thunder. Rockstar are really great at the little details.

gtav_lightening_1_by_chabbles-d87hdqh.gif

gtav_lightening_3_by_chabbles-d87hdv7.gif

AmyS

Thanks, I found a spot to do a nice shot of the city from, maybe tomorrow. But here's some lightening.. Sony Golds on during a thunder storm is amazing, i like how the DS rumble gets stronger with the harder claps of thunder. Rockstar are really great at the little details.

gtav_lightening_1_by_chabbles-d87hdqh.gif

gtav_lightening_3_by_chabbles-d87hdv7.gif

Terrific!

Thank you.

Anyone on Gaf know what's going for me?

I can long into GtaV online just fine. Usually in a world by myself, and if I try to join a new session it just kicks me back into single player.

Is this a thing or just me? My only thought is that it might be revenge for all those thousands of cars I sold ...

What do my fellow gaffers think? Has this happened to anyone?

The first person view has meant I'm spending a LOT more time just walking around the city to get from mission to mission, rather than driving there. The downside is I don't get to listen to as much music. The upside is I've already maxed Michael's stamina meter... and I haven't even performed the first heist yet.

I have to say though, I'm having a tough time with aiming in first person. The dead zone is huge. I've tried partial and full auto locks, but for whatever reason I find those mods much more jarring than in third person.

decreasing the sensitivity helps

Top Bottom