• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

masteratt

I'm enjoying this game much more going for 100% (going around collecting things, enjoying world / scenery) than I did during story mode (characters ruined the amazing world for me).

Rockstar really needs to have all collectibles like the submarine ones though, where the locations can be found via in game methods. After a few hours it gets a bit tedious turning back and forth between laptop screen and TV to find / get the scrap letters etc.

Just beat the game today. Rockstar has really nailed the ability to mask fetch quests and kill X quests with interesting stories and other tricks. I actually enjoyed the strangers and freaks missions, the random blue dot events on your minimap, and I even looked forward to the rampage events just because how Trevor gets into them is hilarious. I don't even need to talk about the insane amount of detail they put into this world.

The main story missions were mostly good and the heists were enjoyable but I really wish there was a better story connecting it all together. At the end,
the Trevor and Michael story just seemed more and more forced with the constant yelling and all
. Also, the EDM track selection sucks.

Such a huge contrast from Bungie's complete shit handling of patrol missions and enemy waves in Destiny.

BigDug13

OK sorry my bigger point was it won't be like the GTA IV DLCs, as asked. Those were pretty meaty DLCs and I don't think Rockstar will go that far again due to what I mentioned above.

I don't see why they wouldn't try to capitalize on that huge world they've built by adding more single player content for a price. Simply adding a few new story missions for $3 doesn't seem as worthy as having another large DLC pack. Especially considering how well GTA sold.

Here's some info that was second hand:

“A Rockstar representative told Gameblog that it will be at least on the level of The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, which is again, what we’ve said on the show, we expected it to be that big,” CVG’s James Jarvis said. “But that’s sort of committing to a 12 to 20 hour chunk of all new scripted solo player missions, characters, you name it. And this is what we’ve always thought it would be.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1605127/gta-v-story-dlc-still-coming-as-rockstar-reveals-ps4-and-xbox-one-launch-plans/

beat the game last night, and finished all the Assassination missions, so I'm in the genuine end-game free roam now

one of the first things I did was buy back Michael's boat...

got him some dock space and bought that 400K sailing boat, and then I Hangout with all 3 characters, and we went for a 1 hour boat ride up past Chumash and back....

when you zoom out the camera a bit and see those amazing white cap waves... the setting sun behind you, and sea gulls even begin to fly alongside your mast....

just perfect.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Definitely? Care to share some insight on your confidence?

I believe GTA IV had meaty DLC due to the Microsoft deal and there isn't a peep from Rockstar on more single player content for V AFAIK. Online seems to have taken priority (unfortunately) and even there, the things promised can't be launched in any timely fashion (heists).
Didn't someone already go through the code and find entries for dlc?

http://gamerant.com/grand-theft-auto-5-online-dlc-zombies/

SJRB

Gold Member
beat the game last night, and finished all the Assassination missions, so I'm in the genuine end-game free roam now

one of the first things I did was buy back Michael's boat...

got him some dock space and bought that 400K sailing boat, and then I Hangout with all 3 characters, and we went for a 1 hour boat ride up past Chumash and back....

when you zoom out the camera a bit and see those amazing white cap waves... the setting sun behind you, and sea gulls even begin to fly alongside your mast....

just perfect.

Can you actually sail with the sailboat this time around?

nah i don't think so i tried to use 'Right on the DirPad to see if I could change any options for engine vs sailing but it still just changes the lights haha

the waves do seem bigger though... I went out even just 30-45 seconds from Chumash point and the waves were so big... the boat roof was constantly under water after every wave haha

i was half worried T or F might fall out of the boat :p

waypoetic

Banned
I dream of the day when i can just load my bike on to a truck by the push of a button, ex: "Load Bicycle - Press >"

w13ZE4lfJkOjxR0YMVOvBw_0_0.jpg

woen

I don't see why they wouldn't try to capitalize on that huge world they've built by adding more single player content for a price. Simply adding a few new story missions for $3 doesn't seem as worthy as having another large DLC pack. Especially considering how well GTA sold.

Here's some info that was second hand:

“A Rockstar representative told Gameblog that it will be at least on the level of The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, which is again, what we’ve said on the show, we expected it to be that big,” CVG’s James Jarvis said. “But that’s sort of committing to a 12 to 20 hour chunk of all new scripted solo player missions, characters, you name it. And this is what we’ve always thought it would be.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1605127/gta-v-story-dlc-still-coming-as-rockstar-reveals-ps4-and-xbox-one-launch-plans/

Bad translation, Rockstar never said that, this is only a thought from the French website.

But Rockstar did mention a story mode DLC featuring F/T/M on their "newswire" thing IIRC.

The helmet has glass though, right?

Nope.

I hadn't noticed that but it's a lot darker if you put a motorbike helmet on. I try and take off before Franklin has a chance to put on a helmet now to increase visibility.

I tested it last night with Michael Franklin too, no shades or anything, and got the same results. I know what it looks like when you have a helmet/shades on in first-person, what I'm talking about is too slight to be that. It's hardly noticeable. I just somehow noticed it. XD

What is this hybrid you speak of

LOL.

Michael & Franklin. XD

-----------------

Man, wtf is up with personal vehicles disappearing in the SP? Last night I crashed Franklin's car and he went flying out of the windshield and died. He walked out of the hospital and his car was gone. I also bought a Vacca as Michael and it disappeared after doing a mission and now I can't find it and have to use the shitty red car that's always on your driveway.

Fix this shit, Rockstar. It's so annoying.

masteratt

Man, wtf is up with personal vehicles disappearing in the SP? Last night I crashed Franklin's car and he went flying out of the windshield and died. He walked out of the hospital and his car was gone. I also bought a Vacca as Michael and it disappeared after doing a mission and now I can't find it and have to use the shitty red car that's always on your driveway.

Sorry for obvious answer but don't they get taken to the impound?

znacka-autaponehode.jpg

Griss

LOL.

Michael & Franklin. XD

-----------------

What are personal vehicles? Stuff you save in the garage? I'm always using the three default vehicles and I'll admit to being tired of them.

Sorry for obvious answer but don't they get taken to the impound?

znacka-autaponehode.jpg

I'll check now. But if Michael's car is in the impound, that makes no sense. I didn't get busted or wasted while driving the car with the cops chasing me, it just disappeared after I finished a mission. It will be a bit of a ball-ache if I have to go to the impound every time I wanna drive my bought cars.

Finished the game this weekend. What a fun ride.

Played through the whole game in first person, and, once I got used to the weighty controls and turned down the aiming sensitivity a bit, I really liked it. Perhaps I'm rationalizing, but the weight really makes the shootouts feel intense when free-aiming. That said, it's pretty clearly the more difficult choice, and I think the game's encounter design, especially in GTA Online, were designed with third-person assisted aim in mind. But I really did have a ton of fun with it and seeing the game from that perspective was very immersive to me.

I also feel like GTA Online was a lot smoother than last gen, though load times are still long. I'm actually enjoying myself more than last gen, so there's that. A few of the general improvements that have been implemented since I last played have been really nice too, like the ability to go "On Call" for a random mission. I'm trying to play it mostly in First Person as well but it gets pretty tough. I may have to switch back. Bring on the heists, Rockstar! It's been a year!

I completely forgot that Rockstar added in extra creatures to the new versions, so these guys took me by surprise when I randomly stumbled upon them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0zI6xwLR4c&feature=em-upload_owner

Also...where the fuck do I buy a new helmet in this game? I'm looking for one of those helmets that only covers the top of your head, and has no visor, because the default helmet makes the screen darker and I don't like it. But I've searched everywhere (binco,suburban,ponsonby's, and the mask shop at Vespucci Beach) and nowhere sells them. Am I missing something?

------------------

I did some research about Michael's car disappearing all the time and it seems that you're stuck with the shitty red car
after Jimmy takes your black one
. I can't set the Vacca I bought as Michael's personal vehicle because you can't put trackers or insurance on your cars in SP, and it never stays in Michael's garage or on his driveway, even after I save it, so the only way I can drive it is by going to the impound every time I put the game on. What a stupid decision. All I want is for Michael to have his mid-life crisis supercar, lol.

So you can't buy helmets in any of the clothes stores?

Not in Single Player I don't think. I wish they'd patch in a setting so you can turn off the glasses/helmet filter when playing in first person. It's a cool effect when you first see it and you say "wow, they thought of everything," but it's annoying most of the time after the initial novelty wears off.

Just beat it two minutes ago. What a game. What a game. It's between this, Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 for GOTY. Incredibly fun from moment to moment, and incredible moment after incredible moment, both scripted and random.

I did think the game lost some steam over the last third, though. They set a breakneck pace that they couldn't quite keep up right to the end, and some of the flaws in the story were unfortunately brought to the fore near the end.

Ending spoilers from here, obviously:
I was sure the game would end with Michael given the chance to murder Trevor or vice versa. Giving Franklin the choice was a cop-out, as he just didn't have an emotional or thematic attachment to Trevor. I declined to kill Trevor as Franklin, because it needed to be Michael who did it. That apparently wasn't an option, so the ending ended up being taking out all of the minor character bad guys who frankly weren't quite important or interesting enough to be the focus of the climax of the game. The climax was set up to be Michael vs Trevor with Franklin forced to pick a side, and the game didn't deliver. I'll be interested to see how it works out if Franklin makes a different choice, but the way it worked out with my choice wasn't satisfying to me. At least Lamar survived, I guess.

The 'Big Score' was also underwhelming compared to some of the other missions. Wasn't the climax I expected. And bringing Michael's family back at the end only served to stretch out the game and create an annoyance. They were useful in establishing Michael's character, but they weren't entertaining themselves, and you didn't care about them at all. The game was clever getting them out of the way after the beginning, and they should have stayed there.

What a masterpiece of game design and technical achievement, though. It's been years since I played a game where I felt like I had to stop every couple of minutes to appreciate the art, the world, the views, the design. It was stunning. And the gameplay was phenomenal. I had no issues with control lag, and found every vehicle to control brilliantly. Not realistically, but designed for maximum entertainment.

San Andreas was the game that made me a multi-console gamer, having grown up a Nintendo fan until college. I bought my first non-Nintendo console (a slim PS2) for that game alone. I thought nothing would top that game because of what it meant to me, especially after Rockstar followed it with the disappointing GTA4, but this game has managed it. The only shame is that this one has set my expectations of open world sandbox games so high that I'll probably end up disappointed for the rest of the gen.

An instant classic.

Really agree with your ending analysis. I haven't re-beaten it yet, but on last gen:

I was very disappointed with the Franklin vs. Michael or Franklin vs. Trevor endings. The motivations made absolutely no sense. Franklin suddenly feeling that Michael is holding him back? And Michael becomes a completely different character in those last scenes. It doesn't match any of the story before hand. I was actually REALLY disappointed with that because at the time I thought that "death wish" meant that all three characters would die, and I didn't want that (I figured it would be like a Saints Row 1 ending, where your protagonist dies and if you want to keep playing you just restart before the events of the final mission).

I agree with you also about the payoff when you choose "Death Wish." The characters you're set out to kill are annoying but not characters you really want to get rid of. Hell, as a player, I'd want to keep them around because they provide you missions. This was a mistake that Rockstar made, in my opinion, in that they created end-game antagonists that you didn't care about, presented no threat to the player, and did nothing to make you want to kill them. And also, there is no reward for killing them. From a player's perspective, it's a bad thing to kill these guys... and from the character's perspective, who really cares? They seem annoyed by them but they don't hate them.

And yet, I do think that "death wish" is the best ending by far. It's also just mayhem for mayhem's sake, which may as well be the point of the story of GTAV. A sort of "We do not need to have a real ending, just go kill these guys for no reason, you've already done it so many times already..." sort of thing. I'm okay with that, but still disappointed that there was never a real flushing out of the story or any real pay off.

But, generally, I really disliked GTAV's story and felt like Rockstar swung and missed with it. They had an opportunity to take the story to great players... I think many of us were expecting a sort of Reservoir Dogs "who's the rat" storyline, and you never got that.

Not in Single Player I don't think. I wish they'd patch in a setting so you can turn off the glasses/helmet filter when playing in first person. It's a cool effect when you first see it and you say "wow, they thought of everything," but it's annoying most of the time after the initial novelty wears off.

Yeah, I agree.

Any good places for great whites to spawn? I collected all the sub pieces/waste yesterday and only saw two, one of which died by bumping into my sub too hard. Plenty of dolphins, orcas, and hammerheads though. Don't remember there being so few on ps3.

Id be okay with it if they just didnt change the brightness settings, I think being able to see the cap of the visor and the chin of the helmet is rad, but cranking the brightness down really ruins the effect. Especially in planes.

It doesn't improve framerate much for me but I'm sure there's some sort of measurable improvement.

I don't like the depth of field in this game when played in third person. I think it's absolutely perfect for first person but it often just doesn't look right or focus on the right element of the scene in third person.

It's a trade-off. Sometimes I gladly take the darkened vision considering a helmet lets you take on a semi in a full speed collision and walk away damn near unharmed.

I'll check now. But if Michael's car is in the impound, that makes no sense. I didn't get busted or wasted while driving the car with the cops chasing me, it just disappeared after I finished a mission. It will be a bit of a ball-ache if I have to go to the impound every time I wanna drive my bought cars.

Car ownership pretty much sucks. They'll either go to the impound lot, or if you have a specialty car, it will be in your special garage if you buy it for $40,000 (well worth it).

Car ownership just sucks though. The fact that you can destroy a car that you paid $2,500,000 is ridiculous... Especially when the game seemingly has a finite amount of cash to be had, unless you tirelessly try to glitch the game with stock glitches or getting lucky on the stock market. I really don't understand how making your bought cars destructable benefits the game or makes the game better... If you purchase a car from one of those websites, you should be able to spawn it in your garage whenever you want, and maybe pay an "insurance fee" or something if you destroy it. But if you buy one of the expensive, fast cars and happen to, say, take a bad turn and drive into a small pond or something, you've just lost the car. This discourages you from even using the good, expensive cars.

Camisado

Car ownership pretty much sucks. They'll either go to the impound lot, or if you have a specialty car, it will be in your special garage if you buy it for $40,000 (well worth it).

Car ownership just sucks though. The fact that you can destroy a car that you paid $2,500,000 is ridiculous... Especially when the game seemingly has a finite amount of cash to be had, unless you tirelessly try to glitch the game with stock glitches or getting lucky on the stock market. I really don't understand how making your bought cars destructable benefits the game or makes the game better... If you purchase a car from one of those websites, you should be able to spawn it in your garage whenever you want, and maybe pay an "insurance fee" or something if you destroy it. But if you buy one of the expensive, fast cars and happen to, say, take a bad turn and drive into a small pond or something, you've just lost the car. This discourages you from even using the good, expensive cars.

100% agreed.

I've said it before but a system similar to Saints Row would of been much better. Just drive one of the cars into a garage and then from there you can spawn as many of them as you want from then on.

Even making you buy the car but then adding it to the special car list within the garage so you can repeatedly spawn them would be better. I basically never buy any cars for fear of ruining them and if I do I then have to drive all the way out of the city to customize them for free with Franklin. (really wish that free upgrades was for any character and any los santos customs...)

Still only a minor gripe in an overall amazing game though.

And in other news... I hit 100% today! I actually had to go to the Rockstar Social Club to find out the very last thing I missed, which turned out to be sleeping with a prostitute. I'll be honest I had a little chuckle to myself when I essentially got a gold trophy for paying for sex.

todahawk

Yeah, makes me glad I'm at $2 billion for each character but it really sucks that harder to find vehicles are a mistake away from being lost. I hate it.

They really need to implement the model they use online. (*AHEM*) A nice big 10 car garage with insurance available. I'd settle for at least that. Hopefully they'll do it, they've moved features that work well online (like the quick nav/gps menu) over to offline. Here's hoping they address cars.

100% agreed.

I've said it before but a system similar to Saints Row would of been much better. Just drive one of the cars into a garage and then from there you can spawn as many of them as you want from then on.

Even making you buy the car but then adding it to the special car list within the garage so you can repeatedly spawn them would be better. I basically never buy any cars for fear of ruining them and if I do I then have to drive all the way out of the city to customize them for free with Franklin. (really wish that free upgrades was for any character and any los santos customs...)

Still only a minor gripe in an overall amazing game though.

Yep, agreed on the garage too.. I also think they designed the garage wrong when you buy it with Franklin. The description implies that you get free upgrades with Franklin at any Los Santos Customs, especially because you get an email from Franklin's racing buddy who says "Well, I guess I can't charge you anymore!" but it only applies to that particular one.

WIth properties, though, they seem to have been rushed because the descriptions don't match how they work. When they first introduce buying properties around the map, the game tells you that performing missions for the properties will increase the revenue generated from them. This isn't true though. If you perform one of the random missions for a property, the pay is the same. Properties, of course, are another messed up thing in the game... With the cost:benefit obviously really out of whack.

I was thinking they would have tightened that up for the re-release, but sadly, they did not.

Yeah, makes me glad I'm at $2 billion for each character but it really sucks that harder to find vehicles are a mistake away from being lost. I hate it.

They really need to implement the model they use online. A nice big 10 car garage with insurance available. I'd settle for at least that. Hopefully they'll do it, they've moved features that work well online (like the quick nav/gps menu) over to offline. Here's hoping they address cars.

getting money in the game is also a problem. You have to con the stock market to make any money, and it ends up putting all of the emphasis on those Lester stock missions, which is pretty disappointing. It makes those 3 or 4 missions the most important, vital missions of the game, which is pretty silly, especially because you can't really max those out without beating the game and getting the payoff from "the big one," so if you ever wanted to use any of those advanced vehicles during the story portions of the game just to mess around in the sandbox, you can't. I'd love to buy a tank with Trevor and use it as the vehicle to steal the Cargobob from Fort Zancudo, but, alas, you really can't.

Is there any confirmation on whether you can manipulate the stock market? There were always rumors about blowing up vehicles for one business will hurt that stock and then help the stock of its competitors business, but I don't know if those have been confirmed or not... Seemed to always be a rumor.

waypoetic

Banned
Holy shit, I figured it would fall through the truck bed at some point.

Nope! The only thing can happen is that if you take too sharp or aggressive turns the bike will [obviously] fly off the truck bed. First time that happened to me the bike hit the windshield of an oncoming car. Hilarious!

Holy shit, I figured it would fall through the truck bed at some point. That actually works?

Of course it does. I've also jumped onto open bed trucks, car haulers, equipment trucks, etc. on bikes and motorcycles, as well as on foot. The collision in this game is pretty damn comprehensive. It's always funny when you hop into the back of a large open-bed truck and go on a rampage, and the driver speeds up trying to get away from you xp

todahawk

Yep, agreed on the garage too.. I also think they designed the garage wrong when you buy it with Franklin. The description implies that you get free upgrades with Franklin at any Los Santos Customs, especially because you get an email from Franklin's racing buddy who says "Well, I guess I can't charge you anymore!" but it only applies to that particular one.

WIth properties, though, they seem to have been rushed because the descriptions don't match how they work. When they first introduce buying properties around the map, the game tells you that performing missions for the properties will increase the revenue generated from them. This isn't true though. If you perform one of the random missions for a property, the pay is the same. Properties, of course, are another messed up thing in the game... With the cost:benefit obviously really out of whack.

I was thinking they would have tightened that up for the re-release, but sadly, they did not.

getting money in the game is also a problem. You have to con the stock market to make any money, and it ends up putting all of the emphasis on those Lester stock missions, which is pretty disappointing. It makes those 3 or 4 missions the most important, vital missions of the game, which is pretty silly, especially because you can't really max those out without beating the game and getting the payoff from "the big one," so if you ever wanted to use any of those advanced vehicles during the story portions of the game just to mess around in the sandbox, you can't. I'd love to buy a tank with Trevor and use it as the vehicle to steal the Cargobob from Fort Zancudo, but, alas, you really can't.

Is there any confirmation on whether you can manipulate the stock market? There were always rumors about blowing up vehicles for one business will hurt that stock and then help the stock of its competitors business, but I don't know if those have been confirmed or not... Seemed to always be a rumor.

The trick that I used was patched out on PS4. On PS3 I manipulated the Lester Assassination missions but I don't know the best way on PS4 at this point. It's nice that I can buy anything I want but car management still sucks either way.

All the money is nice. I have all hangars, properties and big expensive vehicles bought for all three characters. I can spawn a tank for Michael or Franklin at LS Intl airport or for Trevor at Shady Sands airport hangar. Only thing I don't have is the military jet. Been harder than hell to steal one on PS4 compared to PS3. Might take Trevor and roll up with a tank to finally get one.

Nope! The only thing can happen is that if you take too sharp or aggressive turns the bike will [obviously] fly off the truck bed. First time that happened to me the bike hit the windshield of an oncoming car. Hilarious!
Nice, I guess I'm not too surprised. I tend to ride trains around a lot and have seen a few things glitch away. Wasn't sure about flatbeds and such. Good to know though, I'll be messing with that tonight!

BTW, someone told me about a weak spot on the tail rotors of choppers and boy were they ever right. Went on a rampage with Trevor using the mini-gun last night and all it usually takes is one quick burst to send the chopper spinning out of control. Much fun.

They should just bring the system from GTA Online into single player. Once a character buys a garage it unlocks the mechanic that can be called to deliver cars. Also that the last car that is taken out of the garage is now the characters default car. If the car is destroyed, you need to pay a amount to the insurance company to pick it up. If you get busted it gets impounded and you have to steal it back.

todahawk

They should just bring the system from GTA Online into single player. Once a character buys a garage it unlocks the mechanic that can be called to deliver cars. Also that the last car that is taken out of the garage is now the characters default car. If the car is destroyed, you need to pay a amount to the insurance company to pick it up. If you get busted it gets impounded and you have to steal it back.

Yep, agreed. I forgot about the mechanic and delivering vehicles.
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement. You can already call cabs, police and fire to your location.

shiba5

Of course it does. I've also jumped onto open bed trucks, car haulers, equipment trucks, etc. on bikes and motorcycles, as well as on foot. The collision in this game is pretty damn comprehensive. It's always funny when you hop into the back of a large open-bed truck and go on a rampage, and the driver speeds up trying to get away from you xp

I hit a cyclist with a pickup truck and he flipped over the top and landed in the bed. I guess the game didn't know what to do with him at that point because he flailed around for 20 seconds and then spontaneously died. The body then rolled around in the bed while I was driving. I laughed until I cried.

Thought I would shove this in here a bit of news for PC gamers :-

Heavy Arm Online Store said:
PC Grand Theft Auto V will coming to PC 27-28 January 2015! Taking preorder now. The PC boxset version will contain 7 disc and not activate via Steam.

https://www.facebook.com/Heavyarm412/posts/853611501349109

Yeah yeah a store/placeholder blah blah. But I found it interesting that A) they gave the number of discs the game will come on and B) it looks like there will be a non-steam version of the game. If the game is 7 x 8.7gb discs then you are looking at a 61gb install :-O

todahawk

I hit a cyclist with a pickup truck and he flipped over the top and landed in the bed. I guess the game didn't know what to do with him at that point because he flailed around for 20 seconds and then spontaneously died. The body then rolled around in the bed while I was driving. I laughed until I cried.

did you record that shit?!

shiba5

did you record that shit?!

Unfortunately, no. It happened when I was playing the 360 version and I had no recording capability. I've been thinking about trying to recreate it on the new version, but I'm guessing it was a lightning in a bottle type thing.

Has the online been fixed at all since release? I wasn't able to enjoy GTAV online on Xbox One at all when it first released. My strategy since then has been to pretend it doesn't exist.

Top Bottom