• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Was bored.

Felt like The Crew's take on the US would make more sense if Rockstar had instead made a full sized USA. Miami and Las Vegas don't look as ridiculous geography-wise once they've been GTA-ised.

I hope we get to that point. I'd love a massive world, but that would take up some massive space on disc.

DukeBobby

So I just got to "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" mission for the first time.

This is probably the best thing I've played all year.

One of the best missions in the game. Hilarious from start to finish.

The mission variety in this game is fantastic. Definitely an improvement over other recent Rockstar titles like GTA IV and RDR.

I wanted to see what happens when Franklin and Trevor meet in-game before they've actually met in the story mode. The following ensued:

GTA V - When Franklin met Trevor

--------------------

I wish you could play your own music on the radio in-game. They should add support for it on consoles and call it 'Custom FM'. Rockstar, pls.

Would that screw up the trophy unlocks? It's not like weather has any impact on performance like infinite ammo or some such would have :/

Yes, I believe it would. Don't quote me on that, though as I'm not 100% sure. But you can always just create a separate save for messing around.

Yes, I believe it would. Don't quote me on that, though as I'm not 100% sure. But you can always just create a separate save for messing around.

Regardless, even "cheaty cheats" only disable achievements for the duration of the session, so switching weather can't possibly do more than that. No need for a separate save, just make sure to reload before you try to go for any.

God I lost AGAIN all my settings, it's the second time (PS4)

If this happens again (you'll know because it asks you to calibrate the brightness before the game load screen), close the application and reboot the game. It will then boot up as normal and your settings will be fine. :)

God I lost AGAIN all my settings, it's the second time (PS4)
Just exit the game and try again in a few minutes. You don't LOSE your settings, but sometimes the game will start without the ones you saved for some reason.

So if you see that brightness check once the game loads, just close out, wait, and try again. Restart the PS4 if it keeps happening.

Used to happen to me a lot, but I think its an issue reading your saved settings sometimes and not an issue with losing them.

SJRB

Gold Member
xLHjEGG.jpg

The essence of Los Santos, haha.

PSA be careful with Trevor's parking spots at his
club

for some dumb reason, Rockstar added spawning cars to the parking spots, and I drove around back last night to find 1 of the unique cars (from the story) gone and the other in a different position because a Canis jeep had spawned inside of it and pushed it half out of the parking spot.

Ended up having to replay 4 hours of missions because I checked all 5 save files that I keep and somehow I didn't notice the bug for a 5 missions. Lucky too because on 4 of the files, the car was already gone and the Jeep spawned inside the other... only my very oldest file still had both vehicles :/

which is weird because those 2 parking spots have been perfect for a year, I used them 100 times on PS3 and never ever lost a vehicle there.

anyhow, be careful there.... I think cars can spawn in the 2nd and 4th spots... but I'm in the process of testing it now. cars often don't spawn there but 2 definitely can, and if you parked cars there, they'll damage or despawn your car =/

(it was the unique Dubsta you get from TPI mission and the unique Baller you get from Madrazo BTW... I want to keep them and I've been using and keeping them all story so far so that's why I reset to my oldest file)

Finshed the main storyline two days ago. Amazing.

One gripe.. I give them clothes. But then the clothes are gone later on. I want them to be the way i created them throughout the game (asside from missions). I some cars i pimped and saved just completely disappeared.

Otherwise.. I'm not done yet. Plenty to do in that game and i haven't even touched online yet.

Finshed the main storyline two days ago. Amazing.

One gripe.. I give them clothes. But then the clothes are gone later on. I want them to be the way i created them throughout the game (asside from missions). I some cars i pimped and saved just completely disappeared.

Otherwise.. I'm not done yet. Plenty to do in that game and i haven't even touched online yet.
Clothes will normally stay.. if you put someone in certain clothes, and then switch characters...they will stay wearing that next mission, even if you save and reload the game.

But if save and reload, and switch back to them first, it may spawn new clothes. Also, if it's been more than 15 minutes and they get specific Switch Scenes, some of those also spawn new clothes.

But in general, you can always* have all 3 characters wear what you want.

*there's a few rare missions like Three's Company and Ending C that you cannot change their clothing... but I don't think there are more than 3 or 4 of these

Clothes will normally stay.. if you put someone in certain clothes, and then switch characters...they will stay wearing that next mission, even if you save and reload the game.

But if save and reload, and switch back to them first, it may spawn new clothes. Also, if it's been more than 15 minutes and they get specific Switch Scenes, some of those also spawn new clothes.

But in general, you can always* have all 3 characters wear what you want.

*there's a few rare missions like Three's Company and Ending C that you cannot change their clothing... but I don't think there are more than 3 or 4 of these
Well, that's not what happened with me.. And sure, i don't mind in certain missions. But asside from those i want them to wear what i picked out.
Strangly, the hair i picked remained throughout the game.

ttech10

Well, that's not what happened with me.. And sure, i don't mind in certain missions. But asside from those i want them to wear what i picked out.

It would definitely be nice if they didn't randomly change their clothes. I'll have Franklin dressed looking good then switch to Michael and find him in a generic outfit. Play with him for a while before switching to Franklin and finding that he too got put into a generic outfit.

I want it like Online where I know what my character is going to look like (not to mention, where I can choose what car I want to use, I can't stand Franklin's car or motorcycle).

Hey y'all, I'm streaming again tonight for anyone who is interested in checking out some nuts ass first person gameplay. You know the drill, FPS mode all the time every time. I'll be playing through the North Yankton mission and whatever comes after it, I forget. Here's the link to the Twitch.TV channel I'm broadcasting on http://www.twitch.tv/thelargechannel

Side note - Streaming through PS4 removes radio music, so you have to bring your own, or listen to the game's own OST and ambient madness

edit: still going, think I'm playing til 1:30 EST or so

Yeah the hair won't change.

How or when did clothes change for you in a different way?

I can probably help make it easier for you to do that if I know how it's happening for you.... I've beat the game 10 times now and I can pretty reliable and easily keep my characters always wearing the clothes I want during missions (it's also very important to me) so if I know what trouble you're having, I can probably explain how to avoid it.
It would definitely be nice if they didn't randomly change their clothes. I'll have Franklin dressed looking good then switch to Michael and find him in a generic outfit. Play with him for a while before switching to Franklin and finding that he too got put into a generic outfit.

I want it like Online where I know what my character is going to look like (not to mention, where I can choose what car I want to use, I can't stand Franklin's car or motorcycle).
Usually when a Switch Scene has a scripted outfit, it's not a specific outfit but rather a type of outfit...

for example, the Switch Scene where F is in his closest looking happy will always have a shirt (with a long sleeve underneeth) and jeans with boots... but all 3 of these are random. So, it'll only use your generic default outfit if you don't any other clothes. Otherwise, it's random. The 'drunk' ones at a store will usually use a t-shirt, at a club or coffee shop it'll be a tight long sleeve shirt, and if at the Unicorn it will always be a shirt with suit pants (or jeans if there are not suit pants). Same for the other characters. Certain 'rejected from a restaurant/club' scenes for T will always have a checkered shirt; same for M's 'at home watching movies by himself. At home with the kids, it'll always be a suit. Et cetera. But in every case, the outfit is random from that clothing type. So, if you have multiple shirts, the shirt can be different every time. If you have different suits, the suits can also be different and they blazer and trousers can even mix and match.

There's very few scenes that always use the exact same outfit. Even most of the drunk T ones technically can have different pants or shorts.

I've tested most of these extensively for video and faq reasons (I've seen every Switch Scene at least 20 times or so) so I can help out with any questions regarding clothing switching outside of the closest. I know which missions let you use other cars, too, since that's sometimes annoying to deal with because some will always spawn your personal vehicle, others will not, and some like Crystal Maze you need to use a trick to get your vehicle to not despawn.

Yeah the hair won't change.

How or when did clothes change for you in a different way?

I can probably help make it easier for you to do that if I know how it's happening for you.... I've beat the game 10 times now and I can pretty reliable and easily keep my characters always wearing the clothes I want during missions (it's also very important to me) so if I know what trouble you're having, I can probably explain how to avoid it.

Well that is very kind of you. But i allready finished the game and it's not a really big deal, but it's a pet peeve in an otherwise perfect game.
I'll change them one more time before i'll just start doing some stuff left to do in the city (i still have some assassinations, freaks, peyote, and i've been hearing about some amazing side missions). Hopefully they'll keep their clothes on for the rest of the time.

Wow dude.. 10 times?

zerotol

Banned
There's no way in hell I'm going to 100% this game again. Did it on 360 and that's good enough for me. I'm having fun just messing around now and doing missions here and there.

Got my 100% yesterday, and now I never want to play this game again.

Good experience, only sour note was that the "Waste Management" and "Kifflom!" achievements didn't unlock after doing their respective quests.

woen

If this happens again (you'll know because it asks you to calibrate the brightness before the game load screen), close the application and reboot the game. It will then boot up as normal and your settings will be fine. :)

Just exit the game and try again in a few minutes. You don't LOSE your settings, but sometimes the game will start without the ones you saved for some reason.

So if you see that brightness check once the game loads, just close out, wait, and try again. Restart the PS4 if it keeps happening.

Used to happen to me a lot, but I think its an issue reading your saved settings sometimes and not an issue with losing them.

Yes I noticed that with the brightness display thing
Ok thanks for the advice !

There's no way in hell I'm going to 100% this game again. Did it on 360 and that's good enough for me. I'm having fun just messing around now and doing missions here and there.

That has been my approach. I've become quite engrossed with just exploring the map, looking for easter eggs and soaking it all in.

Hey y'all, I'm streaming again tonight for anyone who is interested in checking out some nuts ass first person gameplay. You know the drill, FPS mode all the time every time. I'll be playing through the North Yankton mission and whatever comes after it, I forget. Here's the link to the Twitch.TV channel I'm broadcasting on http://www.twitch.tv/thelargechannel

Side note - Streaming through PS4 removes radio music, so you have to bring your own, or listen to the game's own OST and ambient madness

If anyone is interested in checking it out, I'm playing again, right now! This time I've hooked up my microphone - I want to get used to impromptu recording because I plan on streaming my entire first PC playthrough, webcam and all - and I'm gonna get into as much crazy first person shit as I can in the next two hours or so. Missions, senseless murdering sprees, you name it. So come check it out. Here's the link - http://www.twitch.tv/thelargechannel

EDIT: Still streaming :p having some fun with this

masteratt

Definitely.
Definitely? Care to share some insight on your confidence?

I believe GTA IV had meaty DLC due to the Microsoft deal and there isn't a peep from Rockstar on more single player content for V AFAIK. Online seems to have taken priority (unfortunately) and even there, the things promised can't be launched in any timely fashion (heists).

I believe GTA IV had meaty DLC due to the Microsoft deal and there isn't a peep from Rockstar on more single player content for V AFAIK. Online seems to have taken priority (unfortunately) and even there, the things promised can't be launched in any timely fashion (heists).

Money.

masteratt

I recall Rockstar saying one lesson they've learnt from IV DLC is that they won't go as big next time due to effort / time / money it took them. Now I'm sure the MS deal more than covered all that but my point is, without that kind of deal this time, will they do it again?

I'm not sure how much the DLCs rake in for Take2 / Rockstar.

In two newswire posts (the blog in their site), rockstar mentioned two times that they had interesting things for the story mode:
in december 3 2013:

GTAV Story Mode Updates. For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas.

in april 2 2014:

And later this year, look for even more additions to both Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, including more holiday-themed updates, some very exciting Story Mode DLC and much more.

Most likely they delayed the single player dlc, but it will definetely come, probably after the release of the pc version for everyone to be able to get it

masteratt

In two newswire posts (the blog in their site), rockstar mentioned two times that they had interesting things for the story mode:
in december 3 2013:

GTAV Story Mode Updates. For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas.

in april 2 2014:

And later this year, look for even more additions to both Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, including more holiday-themed updates, some very exciting Story Mode DLC and much more.

Most likely they delayed the single player dlc, but it will definetely come, probably after the release of the pc version for everyone to be able to get it
OK sorry my bigger point was it won't be like the GTA IV DLCs, as asked. Those were pretty meaty DLCs and I don't think Rockstar will go that far again due to what I mentioned above.

OK sorry my bigger point was it won't be like the GTA IV DLCs, as asked. Those were pretty meaty DLCs and I don't think Rockstar will go that far again due to what I mentioned above.

I hope they do a big dlc, they create great content with that, and gta v is their biggest game yet, maybe they changed their mind

Griss

Just beat it two minutes ago. What a game. What a game. It's between this, Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 for GOTY. Incredibly fun from moment to moment, and incredible moment after incredible moment, both scripted and random.

I did think the game lost some steam over the last third, though. They set a breakneck pace that they couldn't quite keep up right to the end, and some of the flaws in the story were unfortunately brought to the fore near the end.

Ending spoilers from here, obviously:
I was sure the game would end with Michael given the chance to murder Trevor or vice versa. Giving Franklin the choice was a cop-out, as he just didn't have an emotional or thematic attachment to Trevor. I declined to kill Trevor as Franklin, because it needed to be Michael who did it. That apparently wasn't an option, so the ending ended up being taking out all of the minor character bad guys who frankly weren't quite important or interesting enough to be the focus of the climax of the game. The climax was set up to be Michael vs Trevor with Franklin forced to pick a side, and the game didn't deliver. I'll be interested to see how it works out if Franklin makes a different choice, but the way it worked out with my choice wasn't satisfying to me. At least Lamar survived, I guess.

The 'Big Score' was also underwhelming compared to some of the other missions. Wasn't the climax I expected. And bringing Michael's family back at the end only served to stretch out the game and create an annoyance. They were useful in establishing Michael's character, but they weren't entertaining themselves, and you didn't care about them at all. The game was clever getting them out of the way after the beginning, and they should have stayed there.

What a masterpiece of game design and technical achievement, though. It's been years since I played a game where I felt like I had to stop every couple of minutes to appreciate the art, the world, the views, the design. It was stunning. And the gameplay was phenomenal. I had no issues with control lag, and found every vehicle to control brilliantly. Not realistically, but designed for maximum entertainment.

San Andreas was the game that made me a multi-console gamer, having grown up a Nintendo fan until college. I bought my first non-Nintendo console (a slim PS2) for that game alone. I thought nothing would top that game because of what it meant to me, especially after Rockstar followed it with the disappointing GTA4, but this game has managed it. The only shame is that this one has set my expectations of open world sandbox games so high that I'll probably end up disappointed for the rest of the gen.

An instant classic.

Has anyone else noticed how the screen is ever so slightly darker in first-person view? I'd noticed it before, but just now I decided to take shots of the sky in first and third-person to compare and I found that not only is the screen slightly darker when viewing the world in first-person, there's also a very slight oval 'eye' shape on-screen, with everything around the shape being a little darker than what's inside it. I took some shots to show what I mean:

First-person:

15832525169_02623136f9_o.jpg

Third-person:

15831142568_c0e73503f1_o.jpg

Another example:

First-person:

15831143528_3c91f589a6_o.jpg

Third-person:

15396302154_2e639deed5_o.jpg

If I were to guess, I'd say Rockstar tried to emulate the very slight blur/darkness you get in your peripheral vision and the way you can slightly see the outline of your eye socket. I don't really think they nailed how it looks in real life (the oval looks way too small in the game), and I don't think it was really necessary, but it doesn't bother me at all, it's just something I noticed, so I thought I'd post it here. :p

Gacha-pin

Has anyone else noticed how the screen is ever so slightly darker in first-person view? I'd noticed it before, but just now I decided to take shots of the sky in first and third-person to compare and I found that not only is the screen slightly darker when viewing the world in first-person, there's also a very slight oval 'eye' shape on-screen, with everything around the shape being a little darker than what's inside it. I took some shots to show what I mean:

First-person:

Third-person:

Another example:

First-person:

Third-person:

If I were to guess, I'd say Rockstar tried to emulate the very slight blur/darkness you get in your peripheral vision and the way you can slightly see the outline of your eye socket. I don't really think they nailed how it looks in real life (the oval looks way too small in the game), and I don't think it was really necessary, but it doesn't bother me at all, it's just something I noticed, so I thought I'd post it here. :p

glasses?

TCRS

Banned
holy shit I just discovered the underground metro! how fucking cool is that? goddamn I love this game. then news, the bleets, the metro, the lights, everything!

and the missions are fucking brilliant as well. played the yoga one yesterday holy fuck that was great.

SJRB

Gold Member
holy shit I just discovered the underground metro! how fucking cool is that? goddamn I love this game. then news, the bleets, the metro, the lights, everything!

and the missions are fucking brilliant as well. played the yoga one yesterday holy fuck that was great.

"Did somebody say yoga?" is one of the best missions I've ever played.

Vodh

So i played this game on last gen for a couple hundred hours, and now I finally got it on my PS4 and holy shit is it impressive... Rockstar did it, the game is a masterpiece and I'm loving my second visit to Los Santos. I think I might even spend more time there this time around.

The things they do with color and lighting at times - damn. And the game is still ridiculously fun, especially now without major performance issues.

shandy706

Just wondering... you think Rockstar is going to be releasing DLC for V? Like they did with IV.

I'd say they purposely abandoned the game if they don't. The single player has a fully realized prison and massive Casino. A casino is an obvious "job" that is missing.

saunderez

First-person:

Third-person:

Another example:

First-person:

Third-person:

I hadn't noticed that but it's a lot darker if you put a motorbike helmet on. I try and take off before Franklin has a chance to put on a helmet now to increase visibility.

Just finished my PS4 play through...

Was ready for the end about 5 or 10 hours ago, but what a ride.

The detail in the world is incredible. Just stunning.

Hard to find things to criticize. I found all the characters somewhat detestable, but I enjoyed the ride.

Wandering around the Los Santos versions of the Getty and the Observatory was pretty amazing. To think of how many months it must have taken to get all those details just right.

Big ups to rockstar of course. What an achievement.

Top Bottom