• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA3 = nintendo game in disguise.

DSN2K

So I was playing GTA3 today and I came away with the conclusion besides the content you wont find a simpler game anywhere besides mario.

Simple Controls
Simple Objective
Simple Gameplay

I think I now know why this game sold so well.

They took the proven Nintendo values, slapped a popular theme on top and the masses fell for it(my self included). Developers all over the world are trying to emulate GTA's success but they are not seeing why it was so successful, Its not the Mature theme but the simplicity of it.

Well Done to Rockstar! you created the first Next Generation Mario game. (and nobody even knew)

edit: Guess the very motion of playing anything related to Nintendo must be to much to bare for some.

but anyhow its been interesting to say the least. lock if you must, I can see GAF is not "mature" enough for this discussion.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo wouldn't have let the control scheme out the door though......... you all know it's true.

Bob White

No really, GTA3 is the mature man's nintendo game.

GTA 3 was about gameplay and not looks. (what nintendo fans always scream about)

Easy pick up and play gameplay (what nintendo always prides themselves on making)

And it was a GRAND game. You know, the big ass city and all that jazz. (nintendo loves to make GRAND adventures)

GTA = MARIO

thorns

Banned
Bob White said:

GTA 3 was about gameplay and not looks. (what nintendo fans always scream about)

Easy pick up and play gameplay (what nintendo always prides themselves on making)

And it was a GRAND game. You know, the big ass city and all that jazz. (nintendo loves to make GRAND adventures)

GTA = MARIO

and none of which was invented by nintendo..

Yes, but Rockstar forgot the Nintendo polish, something I hope is fixed in San Andreas. I mean, from graphical glitches, to crap lock on, to poor collision detection, to jerky framerate, to meagre animation.

I still have fun with the new Grand Theft Auto's, but I really hope Rockstar takes to time to really polish the San Andreas. Then, it would be a Nintendo like game, except for the violence.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the brilliance of gta is that, once a mission starts, all sorts of unpredictable things can potentially happen. gta is nonlinear on a macro level, but more importantly it's nonlinear on a micro level. often you'll just have to kill some guy who's driving a car. you might uneventfully snipe him through his window. or you might end up in a lengthy car chase, attract the attention of the police, and manage to plow your target's car into a building only to have him flee on foot. the ensuing explosion of your car and his might take out dozens of pedestrians, motorists, and police officers, thus attracting yet more police attention. you might then relieve a bystander of his motorcycle, use it to run over your quarry, and then prepare to finish him off only to be rammed by a police car over a barrier and into the ocean where you promptly drown.

nothing even vaguely like this could ever happen in a nintendo game. not even if you replace words like "chase," "police," and "quarry" with words like "jump," "turtle," and "coin." in fact, nintendo games tend to be particularly controlled, designed, and finite.

DSN2K said:
GTA 3 = nintendo game in disguise

So I was playing GTA3 today and I came away with the conclusion besides the content you wont find a simpler game anywhere besides mario.

Simple Controls
Simple Objective
Simple Gameplay

They took the proven Nintendo values, slapped a popular theme on top and the masses fell for it(my self included). Developers all over the world are trying to emulate GTA's success but they are not seeing why it was so successful, Its not the Mature theme but the simplicity of it.

Well Done to Rockstar! you created the first Next Generation Mario game. (and nobody even knew)

Either this is flame bait disguised as Nintendo praise (in which case it's genius), or it's possibly the dumbest shit I've ever read on these boards (which is saying a lot).

drohne said:
the brilliance of gta is that, once a mission starts, all sorts of unpredictable things can potentially happen. gta is nonlinear on a macro level, but more importantly it's nonlinear on a micro level. often you'll just have to kill some guy who's driving a car. you might uneventfully snipe him through his window. or you might end up in a lengthy car chase, attract the attention of the police, and manage to plow your target's car into a building only to have him flee on foot. the ensuing explosion of your car and his might take out dozens of pedestrians, motorists, and police officers, thus attracting yet more police attention. you might then relieve a bystander of his motorcycle, use it to run over your quarry, and then prepare to finish him off only to be rammed by a police car over a barrier and into the ocean where you promptly drown.

nothing even vaguely like this could ever happen in a nintendo game. not even if you replace words like "chase," "police," and "quarry" with words like "jump," "turtle," and "coin." in fact, nintendo games tend to be particularly controlled, designed, and finite.

Good point, I really do love that aspect of Grand Theft Auto. I just hate when the game breaks its own rules, like one mission, where a car blocking my fire from Haitians was indescrutible, and wouldn't blow up.

But you have to look at Mario 64 and Sunshine. There are numerous ways to get the stars (shines) because of the simple, but diverse move set given to you. An expert will complete levels much more different than a casual. Same can be said for F-Zero X and GX, and furthermore, Smash Bros and Melee. Fights can end so many different ways, and the game is only over once the time is up, or the last man falls, as there is no slippery slope like many games.

Drey1082

Bob White said:

GTA = MARIO

I agree big time about the easy pick up and play gameplay.... I think that's GTA's greatest claim to fame. Anyone can pick the game up, and drive around killing people and outdriving the cops. You don't need to spend hours with the game to have a good time, and the learning curve is extremely small.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
hmmm. I don't really think so. But then it might be because GTA is fun and SMS isn't. I'm trying not to let that cloud my thinking.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nintendo published several older DMA titles.

One story I've read speculated that DMA "split" after Nintendo dropped Body Harvest; however, it's also possible that Nintendo just saw GTA as too bloody and "wrong" to touch. Who knows?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Interesting theory. I do agree with the fact that the success of GTA is based on the simple "pick up and play" factor, which is something Nintendo prides themself on. Calling it a "Mario game in disguise" may be a little too much however. But it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

BeOnEdge

Banned
OMG since nintendo is doing crappy lets take successful games and say they are nintendo games in disguise!!!! there are so many OTHER games you can say are simple in gameplay with worlds closer to GTA that werent nintendo games. and dont the new GTAs play just like the old ones but in 3d? in fact theres even classic view that lets you play overhead.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol.gif
@ this thread

BUY A PS2/XBOX

Grubdog

Banned
I actually kinda agree. So many Nintendo fans (myself included) seem to only own GTA3 for their PS2, or only want a PS2 for GTA. GTA would fit so well on a Nintendo console, sigh.

Hellraizah

I'm not a very big Nintendo lover, but comparing GTA to a Nintendo game is a pretty big insult to Nintendo games in my opinion.

BeOnEdge

Banned
yeah. nintendo games dont let you screw dirty whores. you do get to beat the shit out of defenseless aminals like turtles, chickens and pigs.

Grubdog

Banned
Well that's content related, not gameplay related. The content is the opposite of what you'd find in a Nintendo game, but I think the gameplay is pretty similar.

Gattsu25

Banned
or a nintendo game that seamlessly transitions from a collectathon to a chase game to a racing game to a shooting game to a flying game in no particular order

Jumpman

DSN2K said:

Simple Controls
Simple Objective
Simple Gameplay

You sir, have created what is quite possibly the world's perfect flame bait. It is impossible for this thread to result in anything constructive, I suggest it be locked. No, better yet, leave it open. We haven't had a good 30 page flame war in a while.

Being a long time Nintendo fan, I'm going to have to disagree here. GTA just doesn't have that lasting charm it seems to have with other people. I only got through the first couple of objectives in GTA3 and Vice City and the whole violence thing eventually becomes tedious.

Maybe I need to give it another chance, I dunno.

BeOnEdge said:
pong had...

Simple Controls
Simple Objective
Simple Gameplay

Thats the same thing that came to my mind. The elements in the GTA series have been around far longer than simply giving Nintendo credit. If you go aways back then youre gonna see that the Atari 2600 era hadall kinds of stuff that GTA borrowed from,hell..the arcade boom of the early 80' even. Simplicity was the name of the game with these two examples,and you had all sorts of elements that GTA borrowed from. The difference being though,RockStar managed to bring it all together in 3D and not make it painful to play.

DSN2K

I own a PS2/GameCube/xbox so im no Nintendo fan in denile. :p

and people mentioning Genre and theme you just dont get it, Got nothing to do with what im saying.

Racing/platformer/FPS/RPG at the core are all the same.

maybe I shouldnt have even mentioned Nintendo(see its a touchy subject for some :p) as it goes back even further then that as said "Pong".

Fowler

Wow, some bitter bitter people in this thread. Just because GTA and Nintendo games share a few similarities doesn't mean Nintendo is solely responsible for GTA's success.

GTA resembles a Mario game for me in that "sandbox" way Miyamoto always talks about. With GTA, you're having fun with the world itself, it's creating the challenges, and you're having fun just PLAYING. It was the same thing with Super Mario 64 especially -- people had fun just running and jumping around the castle area. Now, I'm not saying DMA saw that, took sole inspiration from it and based their game around it... no. Just saying that it's an interesting similarity given how different both games are.

Fowler said:
Wow, some bitter bitter people in this thread. Just because GTA and Nintendo games share a few similarities doesn't mean Nintendo is solely responsible for GTA's success.

*bitter*????

When one simply states that the series borrowed from more than Nintendo it means youre bitter?

Sorry,but theres no agenda behind my words. I've seen games come and go,like everyone has,and you have to look further past one company to see where GTA was influenced. Generations before have layed the way for a ton of ideas.

DSN2K

he's right, Guess the very motion of playing anything related to Nintendo must be to much to bare for some.

but anyhow its been interesting to say the least. ;)

Fowler

T-1000_Model3 said:
*bitter*????

When one simply states that the series borrowed from more than Nintendo it means youre bitter?

Sorry,but theres no agenda behind my words. I've seen games come and go,like everyone has,and you have to look further past one company to see where GTA was influenced. Generations before have layed the way for a ton of ideas.

Actually, I wasn't really referring to you. You were quite civil!

olimario

Banned
No.
GTA3 lacks the polish of an EAD title. The controls and camera are wonky, the character lacks proper weight and feel, running doesn't feel natural or satisfying and combat is so loose and unfufilling.

A Nintendo title it is not... not even close. It lacks polish.

Fowler said:
Actually, I wasn't really referring to you. You were quite civil!

And here I was ready to combat you with a 300 page thread.

Sorry about missunderstanding you,this forum is like a disease. It can mess with your head at times.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember reading some random person's rant on how alike GTA was to Zelda, or EAD's adventure titles themselves. Whether or not his opinion was true or not, who cares at the end of the day?

As it stands, GTA is fun, the original was great. So are Nintendo titles.

Ceros

Sometimes I think people make these kinds of threads just to see how fanboy's react. but anyway, IBL.

MaddenNFL64

Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that he loves the gameplay mold of GTA. The go anywhere, do anything kind of freedom. He's not talking about the violence obviously :p.

Anyway, it's not much like a Nintendo game in any sense. Some missions get pretty complex, theres alot of random shit going on, and well, it's violent as hell.

And as was stated, those controls would not have been ok'd...

;)

Top Bottom