• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

TDLink

GOTG2 temporary logo:

10561560_10204461051911684_6252618124089489580_n.jpg

TEJ

You know, if/when the ff reboot bombs and fox potentially sells the rights of every FF character to disney wouldn't it be a gas if the villain in gotg2 was galactus?

Neoxon

So, how much would GotG1 have to make for GotG2 to cross the billion barrier? Clearly Feige is playing the long-term game.

Quick

Banned
Well everyone is entitled to enjoy horrendously shitty things as long as they can admit they are horrendously shitty.

I don't think it's shitty. Quality definitely isn't up there like the Abnett and Lanning run, but it's far from the toilet.

Rayme

In the OP, does anyone know what issues/collections of the comics are being recommended under "Main Course"? Some seem obvious, others not (to me, a GotG noob). Like the first cover is just "Annihilation", but I'm not sure if it's a reference to just the one collection with that art on the cover, or every single issue everywhere that touched that event, etc. Halp.

Neoxon

In the OP, does anyone know what issues/collections of the comics are being recommended under "Main Course"? Some seem obvious, others not (to me, a GotG noob). Like the first cover is just "Annihilation", but I'm not sure if it's a reference to just the one collection with that art on the cover, or every single issue everywhere that touched that event, etc. Halp.
3267361-cosmismarvel.jpg

You can honestly just read Star-Lord's segment of Annihilation Conquest, which leads into GotG just fine, but the real fun is in the continuity & the great writing throughout.

TDLink

While all of this is awesome, and I totally recommend reading all of it in that proper order...I can understand it seeming a daunting task.

For those who only care about the Guardians and not the entire cosmic arc it is perfectly fine starting with GotG #1 (2008) and just reading that 25 issue series. The first issue catches you up enough to know what is going on with the team.

That said, if you do have the time reading the entire saga is great. The Nova series is also just as enjoyable as the GotG one...and both culminate in The Thanos Imperative.

Gartooth

Annihilation was the big event that started a new age for cosmic Marvel with its events directly influencing what leads to the formation of the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, the event itself only spends time focusing on a few members of the team like Drax. The Guardians themselves aren't put into motion until the sequel to Annihilation, which is Annihilation: Conquest.

Conquest follows the perspective of multiple characters in a war, with the most important one to the GotG being the Star-Lord tie-ins. These follow Star-Lord's earliest version of the team where he meets up with Rocket, Groot, Mantis, and Bug who all go on to be mainstays in the main book.

If you want to dive right into GotG you should be fine, but there is a very strong sense of continuity in it with the history between characters. The Thanos Imperative is a must though. It comes after the events of #25 which was the last issue of GotG, and it serves as the ending of the series.

T Dollarz

Can someone recommend me one graphic novel collection of Guardians of the Galaxy that is their best/most iconic? Something to introduce me before seeing the movie?

I'm reading Astonishing X-Men right now and it's fucking fantastic.

Drayco21

Can someone recommend me one graphic novel collection of Guardians of the Galaxy that is their best/most iconic? Something to introduce me before seeing the movie?

Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning: The Complete Collection Volume 1

TDLink

Once again, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 (2008 series) by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. It is 25 issues.

Neoxon

GotG by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning.

TDLink

Do we know what the teaser at the end of the movie is? Like, is it teasing Avengers 2, Ant-Man, etc?

It hasn't been revealed yet. All we know is that it is definitely cosmic related. It could just be a scene with the Guardians or teasing future characters like Nova or Adam Warlock.

ramyeon

Really hyped for this now. I've tried to ignore all the lead up to it so the wait wasn't quite so agonising. Cosmic Marvel has always been my favourite Marvel and I never even dreamed we'd see a movie adaption of anything Cosmic Marvel. So happy this is happening and the response seems so good.

Caught up with the new Guardians of the Galaxy stuff today to celebrate. Definitely not as good as the Annihilation - Thanos Imperative stuff, but I am definitely enjoying it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh hey can someone post that list of the best way to read the whole GoTG comic arc. I did that Marvel unlimited deal and want to read through it.

While this is accurate you will see some of the issues are for some reason not on Marvel Unlimited.

Also War of Kings is super boring(damn xmen and inhumans comics)

Are there reading order pictures like this for other events in the marvel universe?

Oh and in topic I saw GoTG on thzrsday, it is by far the best marvel movie so far and I am really happy a sequel is already set in stone

J10

Banned
Are there reading order pictures like this for other events in the marvel universe?

A lot of the recent events are way more bloated than those. The reading orders are easy enough to find through Google though, just not with pictures usually.

IHaveIce

Banned
A lot of the recent events are way more bloated than those. The reading orders are easy enough to find through Google though, just not with pictures usually.
I would have to read everything after civil war to be again in the loop I think lol.
Will try to find some stuff

J10

Banned
I would have to read everything after civil war to be again in the loop I think lol.
Will try to find some stuff

There's also a difference between events and brandings. You wouldn't really call The Initiative or Dark Reign "events" because they go on forever - those are brandings. You'll find a reading order for those, but it'll be literally an entire year's worth of comics. In those cases you would only ever wanna read the titles you actually care about.

Wikipedia keeps a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_Marvel_Comics_crossover_events

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It hasn't been revealed yet. All we know is that it is definitely cosmic related. It could just be a scene with the Guardians or teasing future characters like Nova or Adam Warlock.

I wonder why? Did they excise the scene from the version that critics saw?

Top Bottom