• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guccifer releases DNC dossier on Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Didn't see a thread. Lock if old.

Hacker Guccifer has released the DNC dossier on Hillary Clinton.

The DNC has not yet confirmed or denied the authenticity of the leaked documents.

Story via Washington Examiner.

The files include a “HRC Defense Master Doc” outlining criticism and defense points on issues such as U.S. military intervention in Libya, the deadly 2012 Benghazi attack and the Clinton email server controversy.

Last week Guccifer 2.0 claimed responsibility for the DNC hack. In a June 15 blog post Guccifer 2.0 touted documents purportedly accessed in the attack, which included opposition research on presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump. Guccifer 2.0 also posted files purportedly showing Democratic Party donors and claimed to have extracted thousands of documents from the DNC networks.

Also Fox News.

Not sure how much of an impact this will actually have on the election. I can't imagine the DNC not increasing their online security going forward.

Update:

But there is no way to verify the identity of this Guccifer 2.0 individual. The name is a reference to a Romanian hacker who pleaded guilty to hacking several prominent politicians and figures, including Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, who went online by Guccifer.
There is also no way to verify the authenticity of the documents. The DNC would not comment on their veracity and the alleged hacker offered no proof that they were what they purported to be.
The character could even be an invention of the Russians to try to lay seeds of doubt and plausible deniability about their involvement in the hack. And it could be an individual looking to capitalize on the media attention for his or her own ends.

CNN report.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The money the Clintons made on speeches is insane.

Quoting Reddit
$44,141,500
44 million dollars for 196 paid speeches.
Average payment: 225,211 per speech.
Assuming each event was 4 hours, that is $56,302 an hour.
This was for a 4 year period, which comes out to over 11 million dollars a year.
This worked out to roughly 1 speech per week.
Bill made in an hour more than the average voter makes in a year, and he did it working 4 hours a week.

In all seriousness, I love invading people's privacy. Can't wait to scour these docs for personal pleasure and peek into the mind of Wonks Inc.

Stuff to look out for:
- whether there was official conspiracy in the DNC to support Hillary over Bernie, or to diminish him in ways that were highly impartial to the process.
- if there's anything about the email situation we don't already know
- Official documents regarding VP vetting

Blueliner

Banned
Requirements for her speaking presence. Didn't she once say that she just takes what they offer?

ClfDwNzWIAAQm9H.jpg:large

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
In all seriousness, I love invading people's privacy. Can't wait to scour these docs for personal pleasure and peek into the mind of Wonks Inc.

The privacy expectations of publicly elected officials, especially President, is different than for the general populace.

Drakeon

A big nothingburger from the looks of it.

Not surprising, if anyone actually had something on Clinton that would really damage her, it's not like they would've saved it. She's been under constant scrutiny and attack for close to 30 years now.

Wilsongt

Trump is a lying, stealing, racist, misogynist ratbag. Hillary made a lot of money from speeches.

Another nail in the coffin.

Yeah but Clinton is the establishment, and for some reason a lot of young, white men really hate her.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual

Quoting Reddit
That's pretty normal for a high profile person in regards to a speaking fee amount. And at least she was making speeches and doing something. Some celebrities get paid to literally just show up places (i.e. their own birthday party).

FyreWulff

Quoting Reddit

Just a heads up - the speaking fee is also high because they have to pay for their Secret Service detail.

If you have to roll a whole army of vehicles, personel, and security measures just to leave your neighborhood, the floor price to get you to come out is gonna be pretty high.

Mimosa97

Requirements for her speaking presence. Didn't she once say that she just takes what they offer?

ClfDwNzWIAAQm9H.jpg:large

So basically if you take into account the private jet, first class tickets, business class tickets, president suite and hotel rooms - you'd have to spend in the vicinity of 350-400k$ to have her talk for an hour.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Section 3 of this article goes on at length about how normal these kinds of speaking fees are. It's an absurd amount of money, but it isn't a scandal.

Money — OK let’s talk about her money. Hillary has a lot of it. And she has earned most of it through well-paid speaking fees. And the idea of getting paid $200,000 or more for a single speech seems so ludicrous to many people that they assume that it simply must be some form of bribery. But the truth is that there is a large, well-established and extremely lucrative industry for speaking and appearance fees. And within that industry many celebrities, sports stars, business leaders and former politicians get paid very well. At her most popular for example, Paris Hilton was being paid as much as $750,000 just to make an appearance. Kylie Jenner was once paid over $100,000 to go to her own birthday party, and to this day Vanilla Ice gets $15,000 simply to show up with his hat turned sideways.

And let’s talk about the more cerebral cousin of the appearance agreement, which is the speaking engagement. Is $200k really that unusual? In fact “All American Speakers”, the agency that represents Clinton, currently represents 135 people whose MINIMUM speaking fee is $200,000. Some of the luminaries that get paid this much include: Guy Fieri, Ang Lee, Cara Delevingne, Chelsea Handler, Elon Musk, Mehmet Oz, Michael Phelps, Nate Berkus, and “Larry the Cable Guy”. And no that last one is not a joke. And if you drop the speaking fee to $100k, the number of people they represent jumps to over 500. At $50,000 the number jumps to over 1,200. And All American Speakers are obviously not the only agency that represents speakers. So there are in fact thousands of people getting paid this kind of money to give a speech.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow

Also she didn't want her aide being in the private jet with her? Am I reading this right?

no, because the aide's flight is specifically between NY and DC. i.e. the travel aide needs to get to hillary to, you know, travel with her.

Quoting Reddit
$44,141,500
44 million dollars for 196 paid speeches.
Average payment: 225,211 per speech.
Assuming each event was 4 hours, that is $56,302 an hour.
This was for a 4 year period, which comes out to over 11 million dollars a year.
This worked out to roughly 1 speech per week.
Bill made in an hour more than the average voter makes in a year, and he did it working 4 hours a week.

All those assumptions after the actual amount she earned are absurd. The event was only four hours, therefore she only spent four hours total writing, preparing, rehearsing and giving the speech? What kind of asinine assumption is that? "It only took me an hour to read your thesis; what do you mean you spent a year on it?" I'm pretty sure the Clintons wouldn't be commanding 6-figures for a speech if they showed up completely unprepared and just rambled aimlessly from topic to topic; they're not Trump.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Wow

Also she didn't want her aide being in the private jet with her? Am I reading this right?

It's possible the aide needed to be there before she did. Not trying to play too much defense here, but it's reasonable to assume that an aide might have things to prepare on site that would necessitate them being there hours or even a day before she arrives.

Why are her speeches worth so much? She's free to do them, but I wonder what these companies think they're getting out of them. Will it raise productivity that much? Or is it more about being able to push their agenda to Hillary while she's there?

I hope people keep talking about the paid speech nonsense. Just because it's such a toothless "controversy" that will make next to no discernible difference in the election. "Breaking News: Famous person makes a lot of money from paid appearances". Big whoop.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So public officials should expect to have their computers hacked into? What?

Should they expect it in this day and age? Absolutely. Steps should be taken to minimize accessibility from unwanted parties. Is that morally right or ethically reasonable for others to do so? No, of course not.

So speaking fee information and strategies on how to answer to a range of attacks? Ok.

I think the information at hand is less interesting than that the DNC was susceptible. Internet security is a huge problem and can lead to all kinds of unwanted scenarios. I don't think anything in these documents is particularly damaging or is not information that would have eventually come out during the election. Every candidate is going to be torn apart by the press, as they should be, to properly vet any Presidential candidate.

Kin5290

Why are her speeches worth so much? She's free to do them, but I wonder what these companies think they're getting out of them. Will it raise productivity that much? Or is it more about being able to push their agenda to Hillary while she's there?
Why do people go to Elon Musk for speaking arrangements? Why have Barack Obama give the commencement speech at Howard University?

For the same reasons. She's a powerful, highly successful person with a large public profile.

studyguy

I hope people keep talking about the paid speech nonsense. Just because it's such a toothless "controversy" that will make next to no discernible difference in the election. "Breaking News: Famous person makes a lot of money from paid appearances". Big whoop.

For the cost of booking Clinton, you could book Tom Cruise to speak or show up last I checked. Private citizens can charge big for whatever. Also Mike Meyers charged up to $250k+ in 2014 to show up at your party. What.

So basically if you take into account the private jet, first class tickets, business class tickets, president suite and hotel rooms - you'd have to spend in the vicinity of 350-400k$ to have her talk for an hour.

That's like pocket change for Goldman Sachs.

boiled goose

good with gravy
There's a lot of nuance to uncover on the leaks regarding media and dnc favoritism of Clinton.

What amazes me though is that so many on gaf are totally fine with politicians having the ability to become multi millionaires by getting paid by the very same industries they are supposed to regulate.

Why do people go to Elon Musk for speaking arrangements? Why have Barack Obama give the commencement speech at Howard University?

For the same reasons. She's a powerful, highly successful person with a large public profile.

If you don't see a difference between public figures who aren't politicians getting paid, giving commencement speeches, and becoming a multi millionaire by getting paid by the industries you are supposed to be regulating then i don't know what to tell you...

dramatis

One thing I thought was amusing was this
Another document, titled "2016 Democrats Positions Cheat Sheet," listed major policy issues and indicated where Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Martin O'Malley, Jim Webb, Lincoln Chaffee, Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden — all former or possible rivals for the Democratic nomination — stood on each issue.
I think the DNC probably had material on all candidates and possible candidates, it's just that Hillary's file in particular got leaked—because she's the presumptive nominee.

Think Martin O'Malley's dossier had any photos?

Companies pay a shit-ton for famous people to come speak at events. Prestige maybe? The speaking circuit is a real thing and people have whole careers doing it.

I mean, it's a lot of money, but it's also completely normal for a high-profile person's speaking fees, so I'm not sure what the controversy is besides it's Hillary Clinton and she's people don't support her run for president?

Yeah it must be okay if everyone's doing it.

But like, in this instance, many high profile people do it because people pay them to speak. What's the actual controversy here besides that it's a lot of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom