• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guccifer releases DNC dossier on Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redberyl

Neo Member
If the internet had been around during Nixon's time there wouldn't have been a need to break into the Watergate hotel.

What are they saying in these speeches that justifies such a high price?

It's probably more about the person than the speech. They want big important people. I mean, I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is justified in charging that much, either, but that's apparently the price the market has set.

Partisanship is a hell of a drug. People will do as many mental backflips as necessary to convince themselves their candidate is near perfect, as soon as you concede a single fault its viewed as giving ammo to the GOP.

I don't think there are many people who believe Hillary is perfect or even the ideal candidate.

There's just nothing here that's even remotely disqualifying for being President of the United States, or even for being a valid progressive Democratic candidate, particularly in a year when she's running against Donald Trump.

Her voting record certainly is not perfect and she has kept some questionable company (including: Donald Trump) in the past, but for a politician with decades of service those are pretty mild offenses that at worst modestly dull enthusiasm, not really damning evidence that will lead to people voting for a (supposedly) human Cheeto.

Chichikov

Big companies pay a ton of money for famous people to come and give talks, it's mostly a reflection of the fact that those companies have too much money (coupled with the fact that famous speakers are a pretty limited commodity).
My friend just booked Tim Berners-Lee for $200,000 for a Chinese investment firm.
It is what it is. It might be a bit unseemly, but it's the nature of game (and lord knows I would've taken that money to give a talk, even if it was to some greedy ass bankers).

cheezcake

I don't think there are many people who believe Hillary is perfect or even the ideal candidate.

There's just nothing here that's even remotely disqualifying for being President of the United States, or even for being a valid progressive Democratic candidate, particularly in a year when she's running against Donald Trump.

Her voting record certainly is not perfect and she has kept some questionable company (including: Donald Trump) in the past, but for a politician with decades of service those are pretty mild offenses that at worst modestly dull enthusiasm, not really damning evidence that will lead to people voting for a (supposedly) human Cheeto.

That's the most hilarious thing about it though. we all know none of the candidates are perfect, we don't think to ourselves that they're perfect, yet any time a flaw is pointed out so many immediately try to twist it, deflect it or just straight up ignore it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's not about what they say, it's all about the fact they're even there at all. Firms and businesses hire people for these speeches to raise their profiles. It's their way of saying, "Look how rich and well connected we are," even if they aren't actually connected with the speaker. It's the equivalent of buying a gold watch.

That's the most hilarious thing about it though. we all know none of the candidates are perfect, we don't think to ourselves that they're perfect, yet any time a flaw is pointed out so many immediately try to twist it, deflect it or just straight up ignore it.

Hillary's flaws won't send this country into complete and total chaos unless Israel is blown off the map, which is a case pretty much any POTUS would have to react to. Really her flaws are minor and situational, where as Trump's flaws would be very, very apparent if he got into office.

How come when other men in politics do it, it's totally fine? She's a famous and powerful person. Get over it.

The only people that I see still bringing it up are the butthurt Bernie supporters to boot. Bernie lost. Move the fuck along.

Two deflections in one post. Impressive.

Here's an article from the NY Times in 2007 discussing this issue. No mention of Clinton or any female politicians. So much for the sexism argument.

As for your ridiculous second point, if Bernie lost, shouldn't you move along? Or will you still be using Bernie to deflect criticisms of Clinton well into her second term?

The speaking fees aren't unusual or abnormal, but that's a problem with our system.

If you don't bribe a politician up front for a favor, you can offer them speaking opportunities if they do you favors while in office.

Hillary or anybody else, America should find this problematic.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I updated the OP with the story from CNN posted earlier.

But there is no way to verify the identity of this Guccifer 2.0 individual. The name is a reference to a Romanian hacker who pleaded guilty to hacking several prominent politicians and figures, including Presidents George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, who went online by Guccifer.
There is also no way to verify the authenticity of the documents. The DNC would not comment on their veracity and the alleged hacker offered no proof that they were what they purported to be.
The character could even be an invention of the Russians to try to lay seeds of doubt and plausible deniability about their involvement in the hack. And it could be an individual looking to capitalize on the media attention for his or her own ends.

I would be curious to see who and what is actually true and what measures the DNC takes to tighten up their online security.

kingslunk

I would be curious to see who and what is actually true and what measures the DNC takes to tighten up their online security.

CNN's reasoning why this might be a fake seems more farfetched than the actual documents.

Trokil

Banned

The speech is not that important, it is a donation and a form of access to somebody. Nobody has that much fame or is that good to get 200k for a speech, but usually they are well networked or in a position of power or close to a lot of power and influence.

Of course it is in the end nothing more than a bribe, but a “legal” form of bribe.

The speech is not that important, it is a donation and a form of access to somebody. Nobody has that much fame or is that good to get 200k for a speech, but usually they are well networked or in a position of power or close to a lot of power and influence.

Of course it is in the end nothing more than a bribe, but a “legal” form of bribe.

Like Larry the Cable Guy. Lots of power and influence.

You mean a guy that has to sell tickets to his event? I don't get what he has to do with this?

He's also does speaking engagements, through All American Speakers, and also charges upwards of $200,000 for his appearances. Which either demonstrates that some people are willing to pay that much just for speeches from famous people, or that Larry the Cable Guy is much more influential than I previously understood.

When is the purity test?

We shall see if she floats!

He's also does speaking engagements, through All American Speakers, and also charges upwards of $200,000 for his appearances. Which either demonstrates that some people are willing to pay that much just for speeches from famous people, or that Larry the Cable Guy is much more influential than I previously understood.

shhh... Hillary is a communist robot lizard .... only dreams now

kingslunk

Wow I had no idea Larry the Cable guy was a thing.

massoluk

Banned
She is a former First Lady, former Secretary of State, former Senator from NY, head of a giant non-profit international organization, and long assumed to likely become the first female President of USA.

It would be weirder if her speech isn't priced that much.

You mean a guy that has to sell tickets to his event? I don't get what he has to do with this?

Larry the cable guy is represented by Speakers of American and brings in 200k when he speaks at corporate events just like hillary. Swinging around his big "intelligence" making all those influential deals lining his pockets.
P2vZLS2.png

SummitAve

Banned
I'd give speeches at those rates too, but I'm a public employee and I don't think my union would even defend me from that firing. It's such an obvious conflict of interest even if it never influences my public work.

flkraven

I'm actually shocked at how little has been revealed from this massive hack/leak. I'm sure I'd be worse off if the same thing happened to me.

Drifters

1) Hire a private consulting firm
2) Request security for all items
3) Lose all documents to the open internet
4) ???
5) Profit?

flkraven

Idea for a major-network hourly drama series: The FBI hires Guccifer 1.0 to track down Guccifer 2.0. Old versus new, with recurring characters such as Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and I'm sure Trump would be more than happy to play himself.

I'd give speeches at those rates too, but I'm a public employee and I don't think my union would even defend me from that firing. It's such an obvious conflict of interest even if it never influences my public work.

How was it a conflict of interest if she was a private citizen when she was giving them?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
1) Hire a private consulting firm
2) Request security for all items
3) Lose all documents to the open internet
4) ???
5) Profit?

If they hired an outside security service and were still accessed, obviously they need to reevaluate their security measures going forward. My hopes are that lessons were learned from this.

Idea for a major-network hourly drama series: The FBI hires Guccifer 1.0 to track down Guccifer 2.0. Old versus new, with recurring characters such as Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and I'm sure Trump would be more than happy to play himself.

Can't wait to see the internecine feud between Cozy Bear and Fancy Bear.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't think this will change much. Trump voters already think of Clinton as corrupt, and few Clinton voters would consider voting for an illiberal clown.

These reports might send a few more Bernie supporters to the Jill Stein camp, but unless Trump's favorability changes, Hillary will still become president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom