• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Hah just started trying to wrap up the bandit events, but well seems like everyone pretty much moved on lol. Guess I just get the messages one over with least.

Decided to come back and play a bit and what awaits me? LEVEL 80 FREAKING BOOST!!! Omg, amazing gift, ty ANet! Now the hard decision between Ranger and Thief...

Not sure if you overlooked it but you also get a free shared slot between all your characters once you use that 80 boost. :D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
>we won't have raid plot affect the living story

>in recent patches we have white mantle crap in the living world

Lazarus is still alive and the White Mantle still want to retake control of Kryta, and nothing about that changed before or after the raid.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...and now I realized the gift of battle is now track only

...good thing I finished Nevermore beforehand

fuck this game, fuck ANet, and I will be taking a leave until they fix this shit

Thank god I got the Gift of Battle a couple years ago so I can make Nevermore. Guess it will be the only Legendary I bother with. On that note, god does Tier II suck. The rest of the tiers will be a complete joke in comparison. Odd they shaped things out that way.

New patch is up. http://pastebin.com/axwBWk4w

Highlights:
- Added a new (WvW) reward track that contains Tribal, Stalwart, and Apostle armor skins :O EDIT: The patch notes made me think the track was WvW only, but it looks like it's in PvP as well
- Removed crafting stations and crafting vendors from WvW maps :(
- White Mantle outfit :D but it's in a bundle. :( just kidding, you can buy it separate!
- The Shared Inventory Slots can now be dragged to either the beginning or the end of the inventory (!!!!!!!) An additional Embed Shared Bag option in the inventory Options menu allows players to keep Shared Inventory Slots on their own row or have them embedded into the bag-slot grid view.
- Ley-line energy has accumulated to alarming concentrations. LS is upon us

spiritfox

New patch is up. http://pastebin.com/axwBWk4w

Highlights:
- Added a new (WvW) reward track that contains Tribal, Stalwart, and Apostle armor skins :O
- Removed crafting stations and crafting vendors from WvW maps :(
- White Mantle outfit :D but it's in a bundle. :(
- The Shared Inventory Slots can now be dragged to either the beginning or the end of the inventory (!!!!!!!) An additional Embed Shared Bag option in the inventory Options menu allows players to keep Shared Inventory Slots on their own row or have them embedded into the bag-slot grid view.
- Ley-line energy has accumulated to alarming concentrations. LS is upon us

Damn, now I cannot use WvW as my anywhere crafting stations.

Quenk

This:
5xOstaL.jpg

Wanderer5

I just notice this in the WvW section:

"Dolyak caravans that have two delivery destinations now award score at each destination rather than only the final destination."

Good, this was getting kind of annoying with Dolyak defense guild missions.<.<

Godan

So played GW2 the first few months it was out. Decided to come back and have no clue whats going on with my level 80 character

So played GW2 the first few months it was out. Decided to come back and have no clue whats going on with my level 80 character

Might be good to roll a new character and play from lvl 1 again, a lot has changed in a few years. They updated the new player experience to guide you through everything and you get a bunch of free stuff for your character when you level (mostly level-appropriate gear, salvage kits, harvesting tools, some dyes... etc).

Just as a heads up you might hear a lot of upset in the community forums, even here, but it's because they haven't released anything new in a few months - we're supposedly due for new stuff soon (hopefully in July, anet please), but as a player returning after a few years there's TONS of stuff for you to do. So don't sweat it, the game isn't dead, there's just a lot of grouchy veteran players who love(d?) the game and want something to sate their hunger. Check out everything and play what you like.

Mostly unrelated, but if anyone is still playing GW1 and needs progress towards the Un/Lucky titles now is the time to do it! Dragon Festival :D.

Hedge

Are there still open pvp maps for grinding pvp rewards (like skyhammer) or have they shut down? I remember there being something about that.

Are there still open pvp maps for grinding pvp rewards (like skyhammer) or have they shut down? I remember there being something about that.

Like custom arenas for win trading? Yeah, they're still there. They changed some of the dailies so you can't cheese the win trading rooms to get credit (i.e. daily matches in ranked or unranked) but they're mostly the same.

Hedge

Like custom arenas for win trading? Yeah, they're still there. They changed some of the dailies so you can't cheese the win trading rooms to get credit (i.e. daily matches in ranked or unranked) but they're mostly the same.

Thank you. I dislike pvp but I just really want the only armour set that actually shows a healthy amount of skin for my male norn, haha.
Maybe I'll return and see if I can get a few of those pieces. :)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So, I've been thinking about getting back into this game. It has been 3 years since I last played it.

Is the expansion worth it? Keep in mind that I will probably be solo-playing since I don't have a guild or anything like that.

Also, is there a link to the new armors? One of the main reasons I stopped playing was because I thought all of the light armor looked like crap. Just curious if they have added something that would let you wear light armor but have the look of medium/heavy armor.

I know they added legendary crafting and legendaries are now account bound instead of soul bound (which is another thing I hated - freaking soul bound) but be on the level... how easy is it compared to before? I thought it was pretty ridiculous before. I don't have a lot of time to play generally. I think was like half way to my first legendary after 6 months of playing before.

Morokh

So, I've been thinking about getting back into this game. It has been 3 years since I last played it.

Is the expansion worth it? Keep in mind that I will probably be solo-playing since I don't have a guild or anything like that.

The new sub-classes are fun for the most part, the new Class (Revenant) too, Raids are a thing and they are pretty solid, but since you said solo play mostly that's not really a thing that matters.
The story was cool, but way too short and seemingly going nowhere, and the loooong wait for the next chapter just completely killed the mood.

The new zones are very different than the old ones, for better or for worse, that will depend on who you ask, but basically they are much more 'on rails' and centered around a very big map-wide event that culminates in a big boss fight or something along those lines.

Think something like the centaur event in Harathi (Modniir Ulgoth) but on a much much bigger scale.

Also, is there a link to the new armors? One of the main reasons I stopped playing was because I thought all of the light armor looked like crap. Just curious if they have added something that would let you wear light armor but have the look of medium/heavy armor.

Best way for you to check that is to log in the game, go to the closest bank and there is a tab in there where you can preview everything available in the game.
I personally don't like most of the new armor sets, but some pieces are cool to use with older ones, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

I know they added legendary crafting and legendaries are now account bound instead of soul bound (which is another thing I hated - freaking soul bound) but be on the level... how easy is it compared to before? I thought it was pretty ridiculous before. I don't have a lot of time to play generally. I think was like half way to my first legendary after 6 months of playing before.

Basically the way you always made legendaries is still in the game for all the original legendaries.
Loot/buy the precursor -> Craft your legendary.

What they just added is a way to craft one of each precursor weapon once per account, it's a 3-part collect-a-thon that will send you all over the world searching for specific places and/or items, or complete specific jumping puzzle/events, with the second part usually being a big (and I mean BIG!!!!!) material sink.
In most cases if you collect everything yourself and don't resort to buying some parts of it it's as hard if not more than completing what's left once you have your precursor.
It's meant to be a reliable way to obtain one, not an easier one compared to just pure RNG so it'll be up to you to see if it can be worth it.

All the new Legendaries (we only got 4 so far and they put them on hold 'indefinitely' ....) you can only get the precursor through that collect-a-thon 'quest' you can't get them through RNG or buy them on the trading post.

The expansion has been a mixed bag for many and the support so far (outside of Raids and PvP) has been quite sub-par, they just started to adress WwW a few month back so it's a bit more lively as well.

Now if you really haven't played for 3 years you can still just log-in and catch-up with a TON of things without owning the expansion, and you most certainly won't care for what seems to be negative aspects in my post.
There should be two new zones you'll be able to explore if you have a level 80 character and you can have access to the second season of the living story for a few bucks that is related to those areas and basically a big prequel for the expansion.

Your best bet is maybe just to log-in and get a feel for it for a bit, after all, it's not like you have to renew a sub-fee or anything.

There's a comprehensive gallery of all the armor skins in the game on the wiki. The light ones are here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_male_light_armor (No idea what race you're playing, but there's a navigation box at the bottom to take you to other race/gender galleries)

There's also outfits now. They're gem store only, but you buy it once and it's unlocked for your whole account to apply or take off at no additional cost. You can wear them on any character regardless of level/race/gender/etc and it appears instead of your armor skins. Some of them look like medium/heavy armor. They're full outfits though, not individual pieces like armor skins. You can hide the headpiece.

Wanderer5

I am so annoyed at my raid group. We're struggling with Gorseval, and every night that we faced him, there always this whole oh we just need max ascended gear for power bullcrap, even through we still struggle with him mechanically. People still go down on the first phase and that we really still need to work on our DPS rotations, and yet it all oh we totally got this fight, we just need max ascended or else you are dead weight or some crap.

I just, fuck, this is really demotivating, not to mention that some don't feel like practicing at times cause we lack the gear. I understand if it might help, and maybe least weapons and trinkets are nice, but I don't see going max ascended really needed, and we still haven't gotten even the first phase down yet for other reasons. Doesn't feel like people want to learn and improve against this guy beyond teh gear much.

Quenk

I am so annoyed at my raid group. We're struggling with Gorseval, and every night that we faced him, there always this whole oh we just need max ascended gear for power bullcrap, even through we still struggle with him mechanically. People still go down on the first phase and that we really still need to work on our DPS rotations, and yet it all oh we totally got this fight, we just need max ascended or else you are dead weight or some crap.

I just, fuck, this is really demotivating, not to mention that some don't feel like practicing at times cause we lack the gear. I understand if it might help, and maybe least weapons and trinkets are nice, but I don't see going max ascended really needed, and we still haven't gotten even the first phase down yet for other reasons. Doesn't feel like people want to learn and improve against this guy beyond teh gear much.

Point people to this

Wing 1 is doable in masterwork gear if people are on point with their dps rotations and the mechanics of the fight. Yes, getting full ascended will make the dps check easier but it's definitely doable without.

Your gear quality shouldn't be the only thing holding you back although it does give you a ton of slack. Your stat sets, traits, comp etc are all way more important. Keep at it. :( If it stops being fun you should take a break though, no point in playing a game if it's not fun. If you get tired of Gorseval but still want something different to do with 9 friends you can always try out Wing 2 and 3 instead, you don't have to clear Wing 1 to get access to them.

I'm not sure what your comp is like but when my group has people dying in that first phase, it's either because they're standing in front of Gorseval when they shouldn't be, getting hit by the knockdown, or dying to retal during break phase. Usually the eles :p, since they have a low health pool and a lot of spells that hit multiple times to proc retal. You can soooo easily one-shot yourself as an ele in that phase. You can either
1. break him really fast; this option gives you less time to DPS but it will get rid of the retal faster.
2. If you're struggling with DPS you could slow the break until the floor becomes too dangerous (it's the same pattern every time, so you can predict it), and have the eles avoid casting spells that hit multiple times until he's broken (meteor shower, ice bow 3/4, glyph of storms) and trade off wash the pain away/rebound to keep alive until the retal is over

Dodging the knockdown is also really important. He *usually* swipes twice and then punches the ground so you can predict it. It does a lot of damage and it will knock you down for a bit, so that one's really important.

Another thing that might help you live through the first little bit is make sure that EVERYONE except the tank isn't standing in front of him. Everyone should be standing right on his butt so they don't get hit by the swipe attack but they're still close enough to DPS effectively and share boons.

Also, what's your comp setup? Sometimes simply swapping around subgroups for boon prioritization can boost dps quite a bit.

Wanderer5

Through it varies slightly depending who is around, I think we try to have least two eles, one war (me usually), one rev, one druid, 2 necros, and 1 guard (who does the tanking). Don't remember how the subgroups goes exactly.

I think all the regulars for this raid group have at least have ascended weapons and trinkets, so it hard to see the gear being a issue for now, cause I don't think adding ascended armor is going to make a big difference. We also do realize about his knockdowns and such, we just need to work on it and such and yeah try not to be in front in him so much.:p That slowing down a bit on the breakbar might be a thing to try through.

My group is thinking of probably trying the other wings more (through one of the reasons is
to get better gear for Gorseval <.<), which fine, but man the mindsets and kind of lazy-ness for this boss.

Also I pretty sure a friend of mine (who been greatly annoyed with all this gear blame too) shown or mentioned that masterwork group and my group was like, but we are not like them.-_-

You need a Chrono if you don't have one. Quickness is a huge deal. And depending on the subgroups, I also doubt everyone is getting constant fury and 25 stacks of might without a Chrono using the Signet to copy boons.

Wanderer5

You need a Chrono if you don't have one. Quickness is a huge deal. And depending on the subgroups, I also doubt everyone is getting constant fury and 25 stacks of might without a Chrono using the Signet to copy boons.

Oh yeah we tend to have one too, so that can be covered.

Raid Team Composition Guide

If you ever have any questions on what to run, this is one of the more concise guides available. I really think your group would gain a lot more DPS from running a second warrior and ranger for boons than anyone worrying about ascended armor could provide.

Zeroth

Honestly, ascended gear matters way less than having people who can fill what is needed. That's your biggest DPS increase, along with how you tackle a fight.

Wanderer5

*sigh* I just get the "wiggle room" excuse, even through we still kind of barely fought him seriously. It just feels too early to worry about this type of thing, and that if people go down it be just oh they need that "wiggle room." Well I don't see how going full ascended is going to help say me who is a PS war that runs on berserker stats and oh I don't know maybe we could see how we can improve otherwise. Personally my war already has all ascended weapons, trinket, and a armor piece that I bought with those shards, so I see no point of finishing that up, when I can use that energy and/or money on something else.

Anyway we pretty much going to move on to the other wings, so whatever, probably for the best (through then again this might be a issue with some of the other bosses even if they are easier).

Was having so much fun with fractal until i reached the 80's, not one sign of elitism from 47-81, from 82(I am level 89) it's been a horrible experience of cunts asking to run Zerker, change to this skill, kicked because they don't want a guardian looking for Necro, but don't put that in the LFG, so much fuckery, need to change LFG tool Master Scales to asshole scales..

Ascended doesn't mean jack unless you happen to be able to pull the most optimized rotation at all times perfectly every run you get. Improvements in rotation will help far beyond any minuscule stat increase that you grind out. Honestly the only way to have fun with raids is to find a good group. That's the biggest barrier to them.

I had my first actual fun WvW experience yesterday. I followed a pug tag and got on the server TS and the commander clearly knew what he was doing. I sometimes feel like I go in there, follow a tag, try to siege the castle in vain, then commander whines like a baby about how his blob sucks and we never actually do anything.. but last night was different. I think I get it now. :D WvW is fun with the right people.

Proven

I had my first actual fun WvW experience yesterday. I followed a pug tag and got on the server TS and the commander clearly knew what he was doing. I sometimes feel like I go in there, follow a tag, try to siege the castle in vain, then commander whines like a baby about how his blob sucks and we never actually do anything.. but last night was different. I think I get it now. :D WvW is fun with the right people.

Just like everything else in video game life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom