• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one thing could make me come back to the game. Completely revamped dugneon system. But it's impossible with lack of holy trinity, so... Nevertheless I'm curious what they're gonna offer.

lol Dungeons are fucking easy, fractals are Easy, Raids are tough by design...game doesn't need trinity...

Massicot

lol Dungeons are fucking easy, fractals are Easy, Raids are tough by design...game doesn't need trinity...

He's not really talking about difficulty. Bit of a non-sequitur response.

Gothos, have you played Fractals, especially the new ones? I feel like they are designed more to the game's strengths than the dungeons the game launched with.

Massicot

I'm fine with people wanting a strict Trinity and playing another MMO that more suits what they want. It's when people say stuff like "I don't like GW2 because I can't play a healer." Well uh...they'res like 3 viable healing builds now! I did my first nu-Fractal 100 with a healing Herald of all things and I played a magi Druid for my first CM. It is kinda a far cry from 2013 where saying you were playing a "water ele focused on healing" or something similar would have gotten you laughed out of Arah.

Grudy

Apparently the section by WP after the announcement will have even more info about the expac as he seems to have been given extra details to share.

Auraela

Banned
Yea, I run reshade. I'll knock the sharpening down a tad.

heres my comparison shots,

click to enlarge i quoted them too make it easier to scroll page

standard

35900540620_65b486f6d7_o.png

reshade

standard

reshade

standard

reshade

mostly just enhanced colors and subtle sharpening to bring out texture detail

i tried to do different zones if u wanna see others feel free

Dizzy-4U

Yesterday I did my first complete event run in Verdant Brink. It only took me 2 weeks to finally understand what the hell was going on in that map.

Yesterday I did my first complete event run in Verdant Brink. It only took me 2 weeks to finally understand what the hell was going on in that map.

Now you never have to learn it again since it's the same shit repeating on a timed cycle, this goes for all HoT maps...

Now you never have to learn it again since it's the same shit repeating on a timed cycle, this goes for all HoT maps...

After finally coming back to GW2, getting my first character to 80 and buying HoT...I was pretty disappointed by the mechanics of the map.

Sadly haven't played yet and had no idea the rest of the HoT maps were the same.

That's a bummer :/

Maybe I'm just not understanding something.

Indignate

The HoT maps are super fun! Always something going on and everything feels connected. Everyone on the map is working towards a common goal!

Way better than the old maps that are always static and you're just running around hoping to run into some events that feel like they run on rng timers.

Can anyone tell me what are the needed classes for group content like fractals and raids? I hear Revenant aren't wanted, which would make me think twice about rolling one.

Indignate

Can anyone tell me what are the needed classes for group content like fractals and raids? I hear Revenant aren't wanted, which would make me think twice about rolling one.

You can run fractals with anything. The only requirements I've seen some people do in LFG is requesting condi builds.

Raids are a bit different. Some classes are just generally way better than others for whats needed there. You can can get by with other classes, but if you're specifically looking for the top requested then you want to look at berserker (buffs), tempest (dps), druid (healing), and chrono (tanking, utillity).

Fun fact: i've owned the game since launch, pour thousands of hours into it. I have yet to do all the dungeons/paths, complete the personal story for base game or expansion, have maybe 200g to my name, and never gotten so much as a precursor.

And i'll probably buy this expansion as well, because the root game is kind of fun.

Just kind of wish I was, you know, actually good at it.

Rangers are the most in demand class in the game right now. They are the default healers of the game. They can do fantastic DPS with the proper condition damage build and are even pretty amazing in PVP as well.

Chronomancers are the defacto tank of the game. Not only that but the permanent quickness and alacrity they bring is basically essential in raiding. Every raid is going to have two of them. That said, aside from the condition damage build they have which is mediocre by other standards they have really poor personal DPS. Also very strong in PVP.

Phalanx Strength berserkers are also extremely valuable in Raids. They primarily spec for condition damage. They stack tons of might for the group for free. They also have unique banners that provide additional DPS increases. In fractals they're more likely to run power phalanx strength.

Most raids are going to bring 2 of each of these classes and builds.

It's less that Revenants and other classes aren't wanted. It's just that these builds are so important for groupplay that a lot of raid composition and it's needs are set in stone.

When it comes to fractals, Necromancers are the best class but no one is going to remove you for being a Revenant as long as you know your class, build and can play well.

Snip Snip

Fantastic answers, thanks!!

The hype for the expansion got to me so I'm definitely looking to jump back in for the first time since launch.

I will probably wait to see what the new Elite Specializations are though, since I'm sure they are going to offer way more diversity in playstyles.

Is there no matchmaking/lfg tool for at least fractals?

I hear a lot of people say that the game is VERY alt friendly, how so? I never managed to get to 80 before so I'm not sure if there is a catch up mechanic at end game?

Massicot

Indignate basically covered it but here's my highly similar 2 cents. The same classes that are vogue in Raids are usually also vogue in fractals. Revs arent really there right now, but they have viable builds in both Power and Condition flavors. I haven't seen a power rev in a raid in forever, though. Seen condition in a few places. They do kinda compete with Guard with least wanted raid class at the moment, in my experience.

The most desired classes are probably Berserker, Chronomancer (high demand because many can't play them well), and Druid/Ranger. Tempests seem to consistently be the DPS class of choice alongside condition Ranger at the moment.

Edit: I wouldn't call Necros the best class for fractals, but they are super popular there. I usually play CPS in Fractals when I pug because I usually expect at least one necro to show up and use epidemic for me, lol.

Fishious

Fantastic answers, thanks!!

The hype for the expansion got to me so I'm definitely looking to jump back in for the first time since launch.

I will probably wait to see what the new Elite Specializations are though, since I'm sure they are going to offer way more diversity in playstyles.

Is there no matchmaking/lfg tool for at least fractals?

I hear a lot of people say that the game is VERY alt friendly, how so? I never managed to get to 80 before so I'm not sure if there is a catch up mechanic at end game?

No matchmaking. There is an lfg tool where people post their groups and it's divided into many different categories, but players basically have to organize/ enforce any requirements themselves. It's not just for instanced content though, you can organize for open world meta events, achievements, etc.

Once you're level 80 you tend to build up a good stock of Tomes of Knowledge which increases a character's level by 1. So playing on your main you can passively over time accrue enough to level an alt straight to 80. Also for each year a character has existed they get LV boost scrolls that auto level to 20, 30, or 40 depending on how many years old they are. You can use these on any of your characters. Also many items (including ascended gear) are account rather than character bound so you can share gear between characters.

jmartoine

Fun fact: i've owned the game since launch, pour thousands of hours into it. I have yet to do all the dungeons/paths, complete the personal story for base game or expansion, have maybe 200g to my name, and never gotten so much as a precursor.

And i'll probably buy this expansion as well, because the root game is kind of fun.

Kind of the same to be honest. Played the game from beta weekends and through launch. Was putting in 10+ hours a day at launch as it came out during my University summer break, played through the first six months and enjoyed the events they added in like the Lost Shores event and Holiday events but ended up drifting away from the game around 9 months after release.

I picked the game up again when Heart of Thorns came out and again got in deep and really enjoyed the game but never went for any endgame activities as I never thought I was good at the game so ended up drifting away from the game when some new releases came out.

I'll probably pick up the new expansion and do the same, play through the story content before putting it down for a while. It is the cycle I also follow with WoW, get the new expansion and play it solidly for a couple of months before putting it down until the next one.

This is basically me as well.

I have finished the personal story, but have never run any dungeons except for the Mad King one right after launch, and the Living World Season 1 temporary one. I've never done a fractal either.

For some reason I've gone from being someone who really liked group content in MMOs(EQ, FF11, WoW, etc...) to someone who gets anxious about it and actively avoids it.

I've never gotten a precursor either, and have 500g, though that's because I bought a Halloween weapon for 60g one year and then sold it for 300g.

Spyware

The HoT maps are super fun! Always something going on and everything feels connected. Everyone on the map is working towards a common goal!

Way better than the old maps that are always static and you're just running around hoping to run into some events that feel like they run on rng timers.
Oh wow. My feelings are exactly the opposite. The HoT maps feel forced, are repetitive as heck and not fun to explore. THEY are the static ones, always doing the same exact thing on a timer.

The old world feels alive, it's different each time I go to a map. Suddenly I stumble on an event I have not seen for a month, or a year! It doesn't make me go "ugh, rng sucks!", it makes me go "oh I had totally forgotten about this... where does it lead? Let's check it out!". The maps are huge with little things sprinkled all over for you to find. Not just full of annoying enemies and walls or holes you have to find your way around.

Ugh. I really hope the expansion adds maps that are a lot more like the old world.

It's alt friendly in the way that almost everything you unlock is account wide. Dyes, skins, end game armor/weapons, masteries and so on.
I don't really know how they could make it more alt friendly without going "here, just clone your character". Some people want them to make WPs account wide and other things but if they go that route they might as well just let people start at 80 and brand themselves the self-playing MMO.

I'm kinda like you! I've played since release too. The only reason I have finished all dungeons (or even seen the inside of them at all) is because of a guild event where we played 2-3 paths every sunday until we had gone through them all. The only reson I've finished the story was because I really forced myself to do it just some months ago. I have not touched Season 3 yet tho. I have played manymany hours and never gotten a precursor drop, but I have managed to buy three and I have some gold thanks to the good old key farming (rip ;D).

I also wish I was much better at the game. I have done like... five fractals or so. Never even looked in the direction of a raid run. I just don't feel good enough for any of it. I'm kinda happy with making characters and exploring the world tho.

Freeman76

Apparently there is going to be a very suprising announcement during the livestream.

Best thing it could be is OUT NOW

bet its not that though, probs a year out

Hellers

technically because it has

Leaks? Got a link?

My story with GW2 is. Played from launch (Played GW1 too). Got every class to 80. Never bothered finishing the personal story. Never finished season 2 or 3 or the living world. Didn't like HoT at all.

Still eager to find out what's next. I'm currently playing through season 2 on my necromancer

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Leaks? Got a link?

My story with GW2 is. Played from launch (Played GW1 too). Got every class to 80. Never bothered finishing the personal story. Never finished season 2 or 3 or the living world. Didn't like HoT at all.

Still eager to find out what's next. I'm currently playing through season 2 on my necromancer

I think they're gone now? But they're mostly images of the maps, elite classes, the
mount
masteries
(seems like mounts will have their own uniqueness - i.e. griffon mount is different from dolyak mount)

Hellers

I think they're gone now? But they're mostly images of the maps, elite classes, the
mount
masteries
(seems like mounts will have their own uniqueness - i.e. griffon mount is different from dolyak mount)

Nice. I hope I have plenty of time to get caught up before it launches.

Goldrush

Personally love the HoT approach where there are different storylines spanning the entire length of the meta. Adds replayability and provides a defined endgoal. I'm the sort of player that needs direction on what to do otherwise I'll just be farming all day.

j-wood

I played the shit out of GW2 when it first launched, got to level 80 and beat the main campaign.

I never picked up heart of thorns though, or did any of the living story stuff. Hearing there is a new expansion kind of has me hyped. Would it be worth picking up HoT or would it be a waste with all the season stuff over?

I played the shit out of GW2 when it first launched, got to level 80 and beat the main campaign.

I never picked up heart of thorns though, or did any of the living story stuff. Hearing there is a new expansion kind of has me hyped. Would it be worth picking up HoT or would it be a waste with all the season stuff over?

At that point it's probably best to just get the new expansion depending on the release date since that will include all the HOT stuff.

$30 good price,
Deluxe and Ultimate doesn't offer anything advantageous, don't care for outfit, or pass to easy access area...

Finally i can use Astralaria more lol...
I liked the sound of Necro, Rangers, and Warrior specs, looked more interesting than the others, including my class...
Rev getting a bow is great since the Hammer is slow AF..
With all the Legendary i have none of specs won't look poor hahahaha...another class for my Predator :)

Been a while since I played, HoT. What happened to the guild? I wanted to get back into GW2 to prep for the x-pac, but not having the GAF guild will suck.

Since some of my friend are still on the F2P version of the game, I was wondering if buying Path of Fire would get them HoT as well. I recall that was the way they presented it, but I don't know if they said anything on the matter tonight (or if there's some FAQ already).

Gonna finish up Astralaria. Are people still doing meta events the 3 HoT maps?

Always....

TD is a bit rough since it remains that hardest Meta, so i suggest looking for a Meta map after reset.. go into TD at 8pm est.. they start looking for players early and the map will fill quickly, there's a guild that always runs TD meta certain days it right after reset other days it's the next meta after reset...
VB/AB/DS is still lively...

Massicot

Since some of my friend are still on the F2P version of the game, I was wondering if buying Path of Fire would get them HoT as well. I recall that was the way they presented it, but I don't know if they said anything on the matter tonight (or if there's some FAQ already).

Heart of Thorns is a 20 dollar add-on when you purchase PoF.

Rua

Oh nice, there's an active community thread for GW2. Taking a break from FFXIV and started playing this with some friends.

Don't actually know much about the game but it's a nice change so far from what I was playing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom