• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Hearts and Minds has ever worked properly.

When the game came out, I was one of few that got to play final mission without any issues while everyone else was complaining about how it was broken...now I am surprised that 2 years later and it still has issues.

Do we actually get anything for finishing it on a second character?

Tnetennba

Hey folks.

Been getting back into the game over the last few days after being out since a few months after launch.

Completely forgot that servers don't work the same way as GW1 so considering a server transfer to play with my friend (they're on NA, I'm on EU).

Anyone have experience of this in terms of lag and NA server population during peak EU hours? Is the GAF guild spread across both? Still finding my feet but thinking ahead just in case!

No personal experience, but everyone I know from EU playing in US servers has minimal to unnoticeable lag.

GAF guild used to have an EU section but that died a long time ago. Almost everyone still playing is on a us server.

Honestly I felt that the presentation was kinda poor for more than one of the specializations. I'm still quite excited about them though, Soulbeast first, as the Ranger is my main.

I think it was better for all of them than the HoT ones except Reaper.

The only ones I didn't like were Soulbeast, which is more a matter that we can't see exactly what we're getting with the fusion mechanic.

And Renegade. Both the fact that I hate the Revenant class thematically and also that it's so focused on this character we don't know or care about.

Massicot

A charr hero is lame (sorry Charr fans). Should have gone with a Tengu. Invoke the legend of Talon Silverwing

Edit: Though I guess Talon used swords which Revs already have. Not that this was a super serious suggestion.

I also am really not a fan of the revenant in general, but the renegade skills seem cool. Still absolutely no clue what the lore is supposed to be, but I don't even know what the lore for the whole class is, so i guess that's fair.
You can easily know who she was by reading a summary of her story at her statue in the black Citadel, it's there since launch.
I immediately recognized the character cause I remembered reading that, so at least for me it's not another
Livia
Livia
was mentioned in GW2 lore, as well. particularly in regards to
the scepter of orr
Actually, perhaps not in-game, but in related lore interviews and ofc gw1. Regardless, it was definitely available.

Morokh

And Renegade. Both the fact that I hate the Revenant class thematically and also that it's so focused on this character we don't know or care about.

You can easily know who she was by reading a summary of her story at her statue in the black Citadel, it's there since launch.
I immediately recognized the character cause I remembered reading that, so at least for me it's not another
Livia

So...finally trying to do Hearts and Minds mission on my second character...and after the first fight it just crashes.

It has happened twice in a row.

Anyone getting this issue?

Also going back in doesn't allow me to start from where it crashed...always resets.

I played through it recently without problems, though it was a disaster at launch. I did have trouble getting through the preceding mission(Bitter Harvest). The game would crash randomly while I was ascending the spinning helix at the end. Apparently it was happening to a fair number of people judging by the thread on the forums.

jmartoine

Didn't have any issues with Hearts and Minds aside from it taking forever to solo. Got Mordremoth to half health on my first attempt before I died and gave up for today because it is getting late.

Seems to be balanced for multiple people which seems counterintuitive with the solo story?

LFG wasn't great for me tonight but I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

Didn't have any issues with Hearts and Minds aside from it taking forever to solo. Got Mordremoth to half health on my first attempt before I died and gave up for today because it is getting late.

Seems to be balanced for multiple people which seems counterintuitive with the solo story?

LFG wasn't great for me tonight but I'll give it a go again tomorrow.
I've beaten it on 3 characters and ragequit doing it solo every time. Just post an LFG and save yourself the headache.

Hey folks.

Been getting back into the game over the last few days after being out since a few months after launch.

Completely forgot that servers don't work the same way as GW1 so considering a server transfer to play with my friend (they're on NA, I'm on EU).

Anyone have experience of this in terms of lag and NA server population during peak EU hours? Is the GAF guild spread across both? Still finding my feet but thinking ahead just in case!

On EU I was on Far Shiverpeaks and Underworld, and I'll tell you- NA is better in GW2. I did not notice any difference in the amount of lag I had. I am sure there was a difference, but I think that if your internet connection is decent you'll be fine. It's worth pointing out that WoodenPotatoes himself plays on NA too.

The culture on EU is not good. Language barriers is a big problem and a source of frustration. Trying to do the Swamp fractal with non-english speaking individuals is insanely frustrating and game breaking. It cannot be done without coordination. hours of frustration and headaches.

jmartoine

So you would recommend moving to an NA server then?

In that case I may join the GAF guild.

Will definitely try and get a group for Hearts and Minds then, trying to solo it as a Guardian ranger was just me kiting the bosses around which wasn't particularly fun.

Stuart444

Problem with the Gamepad action cam xpadder thing if anyone can help fix it?

Basically, on Windows 10, mouse keeps going to the top left corner. Everything is recognized but the mouse keeps going to the left corner of my screen and nothing I can do stops that happening :/

edit: Fixed it, turns out,DS4 windows didn't have hide DS4 controller on so it picked up both wireless controller and Xinput controller in Xpadder.

Related question: is the action cam controller set up still being supported/will it be updated for the new keybind (mount) when PoF comes out?

First Attempt at Afro...
i delete my low level material character, and remade,..
gw2719ksc7.png

npanciroli

Neo Member
Only really played to lvl 6 or so when this first came out. Loaded it up bought the expansion and started a Revenant. No idea what I'm doing but it's a blast. Using a 2 handed mace because the skills are dope. I should join the GAF guild, but does it matter what server I'm on? Going to watch some beginner videos to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Wanderer5

So Dulfy put up a affiliate link that you can buy Path of Fire through (no extra cost) if you want to support her. Wish I waited.

She been having a difficult time trying to get into the Arenanet Partner Program.

Hellers

I played through it recently without problems, though it was a disaster at launch. I did have trouble getting through the preceding mission(Bitter Harvest). The game would crash randomly while I was ascending the spinning helix at the end. Apparently it was happening to a fair number of people judging by the thread on the forums.

The Bitter Harvest crash still happens. I gave up trying to complete the story on my Ranger last week.

Ashodin

For what reason?

she basically encourages the equivalent of "just google it" about the game; I'm fine with her existing as a resource, but some players I've interacted with treat it as the only way to get information instead of you know, playing the game.

spiritfox

she basically encourages the equivalent of "just google it" about the game; I'm fine with her existing as a resource, but some players I've interacted with treat it as the only way to get information instead of you know, playing the game.

You're blaming the resource for what players themselves do?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A charr hero is lame (sorry Charr fans). Should have gone with a Tengu. Invoke the legend of Talon Silverwing

Edit: Though I guess Talon used swords which Revs already have. Not that this was a super serious suggestion.
my problem is that we see Kala using a gs than an sb, wouldn't have minded it if it was either his dad as the legend or a gs weapon than an sb

Stuart444

my problem is that we see Kala using a gs than an sb, wouldn't have minded it if it was either his dad as the legend or a gs weapon than an sb

Her* :p Also Pyre was also a ranger and considering he's a hero from GW1, he'd also use a bow. (Kalla's Grandsire),- don't know anything about Kalla's Dad or if he even did anything relevant so not sure why Rev would invoke him. :p (I know you probably meant Pyre when you said her Dad lol)

And I'm happy with it, I don't have a rev but it makes me want to make one just for Kalla <3

For the record, I'd have been fine with Pyre as well. <3 Pyre

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Problem with the Gamepad action cam xpadder thing if anyone can help fix it?

Basically, on Windows 10, mouse keeps going to the top left corner. Everything is recognized but the mouse keeps going to the left corner of my screen and nothing I can do stops that happening :/

edit: Fixed it, turns out,DS4 windows didn't have hide DS4 controller on so it picked up both wireless controller and Xinput controller in Xpadder.
Ah glad you got it- yeah any time more than one controller is detected at the same time Xpadder may get confused.

Related question: is the action cam controller set up still being supported/will it be updated for the new keybind (mount) when PoF comes out?
Certainly still supported, I just modified it the other day to use the "Disable Cam" option and it works great.

There's a whole new keybind for mounts?? Couldn't they have bound that to the special mechanic button? Are you going to have to summon your mount and use a special mechanic at the same time? >_<

*sigh* But yeah, I will figure out a way to get it in there. Most likely RB + Left can do it and I'll sacrifice the ability to toggle walking... ironic since it'll be giving up the option to move slower to be able to move faster :p

Stuart444

Ah glad you got it- yeah any time more than one controller is detected at the same time Xpadder may get confused.

Certainly still supported, I just modified it the other day to use the "Disable Cam" option and it works great.

There's a whole new keybind for mounts?? Couldn't they have bound that to the special mechanic button? Are you going to have to summon your mount and use a special mechanic at the same time? >_<

*sigh* But yeah, I will figure out a way to get it in there. Most likely RB + Left can do it and I'll sacrifice the ability to toggle walking... ironic since it'll be giving up the option to move slower to be able to move faster :p

Yeah, I only found out when Xpadder showed two controllers setups listed in the top of the box (and when I went to settings, it showed both wireless and xbox 360 controller)

Glad I fixed it, I can't live without it <3 gamepad is so much easier for me (even though I can adjust to KB+M again if need be)

And I think so, pretty sure I saw that it was a separate button in the videos of the first instance/first area. If not, my mistake.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Uh oh, all I've been thinking about since yesterday is this game. Wife is gone for 10 days so at least a perfect time for it to sink it's hooks in. Might try out some of the other classes to 10 as well, since just got there with Revenant.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finished the Personal Story yesterday. Feels like I'm missing some story stuff regarding Destiny's Edge by not doing the dungeons.

Felt anticlimatic too, an Elder Dragon went down because of some cannons?

Will tackle living world season 2 next.

Finished the Personal Story yesterday. Feels like I'm missing some story stuff regarding Destiny's Edge by not doing the dungeons.

Killing the Eyes and Mouths of Zhaitan and purifying the Artesian Waters in The Source of Orr were the bigger steps in killing off the dragon. It was already greatly weakened by the time you engaged it.

Much like how the Mouth of Mordremoth fight is supposed to be taken as an equal part in killing off Mordremoth as the final story chapter is.

(Still doesn't make using the cannons any more interesting though.)

Stuart444

I'm just glad they changed Arah story dungeon into a story instance. I mean I love the dungeons (and I go through them on each character at the appropriate time) but it's nice that the mandatory one was changed so it can be done solo or with friends instead of waiting for people to join your LFG.

Yeah, the ending to the personal story ends with a thud. It's one of the most infamous moments in the game. It's up there with "Top 10 Worst Final Bosses" alongside Joker from Arkham Asylum.

Season 1 isn't in the game. It's definitely another problematic aspect. I've got friends into the game and they tend to get lost at this point.

Season 2 is a huge step up in story telling and has several really cool boss fights.

Heart of Thorns is fantastic, with strong storytelling and boss encounters. It's biggest problem is scope and scale. There's just not enough of it.

Season 3 is the best in scope and scale but the instance design isn't a strong. There are fell less cool and interesting boss encounters, for example. At least in terms of raw mechanics.

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, it was dissapointing. I thought I'd have to fight it like that big battle many chapters before it. That one was kinda neat.

From the personal story, I remember liking the eyeball battle just because the music that kicks in.

The biggest take aways from the personal story, imo, is the characters and the background for the Pact. The actual dialogue and story events are largely irrelevant beyond the major pieces (form the pact, kill zhaitan, etc.). But the characters are referred to over and over, and some cool bits (the post-HoT caladbolg story, for instance) are much more interesting if you give a shit about them.

Stuart444

Yeah, it was dissapointing. I thought I'd have to fight it like that big battle many chapters before it. That one was kinda neat.

From the personal story, I remember liking the eyeball battle just because the music that kicks in.

Yeah, the eyeball fight is one of my faves from the original personal story.

Massicot

The best change they made was going away from those dynamic portrait cutscenes or whatever you want to call them. So damn awful.

Stuart444

The best change they made was going away from those dynamic portrait cutscenes or whatever you want to call them. So damn awful.

You mean the models on top of concept art dialogue cutscenes? I liked them but at the same time, I'm glad they did away with them mostly. Don't know why but I did like them yet I'm okay with them being gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom