• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that Balth Pic guessing many poor soul got crushed when he reached 50% health lol...happens to everyone first time they fight him..

Reaper is the shit. Daredevil and Scrapper weren't really doing it for me so I leveled a Necro and I love it. Been banging through the Auric Basin event in the spare hour or so I get each workday and loving it. The new zones are great so far.

leng jai

Reaper is the shit. Daredevil and Scrapper weren't really doing it for me so I leveled a Necro and I love it. Been banging through the Auric Basin event in the spare hour or so I get each workday and loving it. The new zones are great so far.

You pretty much can't die as a Reaper and at the same time your chill ticks are fairly cray Cray.

Gothos

You're saying it like levelling to 80 is done in a day :)

Remfin

Just a reminder for future events...

The new Squad UI is great and can hold up to 50 people, and lets you set up subgroups easily. Unless we're going to have a shatteringly-high amount of attendance, it's probably best to just form one squad when we go map hopping. Even if we need to do an overflow squad, that commander should probably hop on the ride to get in the right instance first. I don't know how subgroup communication works for the members, but the commander at least can broadcast to everyone (with the Voice of God in the middle of their screen at that!).

West side in Auric was hosed for like 10 minutes cause we had to get into a ferry after the fact and reform :(

A little early since it's not next weekend, but the one after, but I wanted to have it posted.
You doing these events every other week?

GW2 players on Twitter talking about a new strategy against VG...not breaking the break bar, since during that time there aren't lightning strikes or seekers.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Time for...Kos' Terrible Raid Strategy!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------
The strategy is to hold the following formation through the VG fight:

<- Tank(1) <- VG <- GAFBlob (9)

Tank will move to green circle when it shows up while the rest of the group hits VGs backside. During the time that green circle isn't up, no need to move we can just stack on VG and burn him down. Tank will lead VG such that we can have this formation:

<- Tank (outside green circle) <- VG <- GAFBlob (inside green circle)

This means that we only have to push the seekers away from one centralized location and it will eliminate the situations where the seekers get pushed into other raid members causing them to get downed.

We have to be very careful with our dodges so that we don't get teleported by the blue lights of teleportation.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead and critic and tell me why this is terrible.

Rawk Hawk

It's a big problem with the game mode, honestly. There aren't enough comeback mechanics. The only thing you can do to come back is wipe the enemy team and then win the double mist hero fights. That's it. They really need a way to spend supply that's in the lord room.

Although it's annoying to know there isn't anything you can really do, I'm somewhat glad I wasn't missing a very obvious mechanic or something.

I hope they support the game mode though, it's definitely a fun way to play PvP.

Quartzo Crystal is 10s a pop. Time to add more sources, anet.

Welcome to grind wars 2, dungeon gold is shit, the economy is shit, fractals pay off is shit, most of the HoT mastery after a certain point is pure shit, the one decent aspect of making gold was nerf, game is perfect, this is the game Anet dreamed about, now players will buy Gems and trade them for gold since every thing is shit..

Sorry but right now my opinion on this game is very low, title needs to be
Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Grind...ah fuck this shit.

Right about now my steam backlog is calling..i might take another break from this game

I think I still have a dozen or more stacks of quartz from the wind festival, after slowly whittling it down by converting to charged quartz. Spent a lot of my charged on grow lamps to flip on TP, good times. If quartz ever approached ecto prices, look out.

Right about now my steam backlog is calling..i might take another break from this game

You're burned out from grinding shit. Stop grinding shit, and play something else. No game is fun if you force yourself to grind for shit.

Or, y'know. Don't grind, and play the game for fun, not gold? I dunno - as I get older, I think I'm losing touch with the reasons people play games in the first place. Or I'm just stupid and clearly playing GW2 wrong, not caring about the "rewards" from shit like Fractals. I play them for the content, for the challenge, for the experience of playing the game itself. The gold, items, junk, etc, is just incidental. GW2 is not, was never, a "loot game", in my mind.

But people can play games however the frak they want, I'm not judging.

leng jai

You're burned out from grinding shit. Stop grinding shit, and play something else. No game is fun if you force yourself to grind for shit.

Or, y'know. Don't grind, and play the game for fun, not gold? I dunno - as I get older, I think I'm losing touch with the reasons people play games in the first place. Or I'm just stupid and clearly playing GW2 wrong, not caring about the "rewards" from shit like Fractals. I play them for the content, for the challenge, for the experience of playing the game itself. The gold, items, junk, etc, is just incidental. GW2 is not, was never, a "loot game", in my mind.

But people can play games however the frak they want, I'm not judging.

It's an MMO so of course a lot of the appeal is from grinding from rewards. The genre by definition is just doing the same content over and over again, so if the rewards are too gimped and skins take too long to get then obviously it's an issue. I hardly think GW2's design somehow makes it different from other MMOs and more about playing purely for "gameplay fun".

I get what you're saying Nemesis, but I think ArenaNet got the memo-

But really' it's not that Legendary Armors and Weapons are for normal players. There is a lot of that stuff which is just in there to soothe power players. I'm just chipping away a few hours here and there, and I have been slowly progressing towards Bo, Yggdrasil and the Reaper GS. And those... those to me are really awesome progression goals. There you can talk about a quest that takes you around the world, makes you do all sorts of things, not inhibited by only collecting or doing one specific thing (which to me is what leads to repetition)

I would LOVE. Simply love to have a system like this for Ascended Armor / Weapons, instead of the crafting method. Working on a collection by just playing and doing different things- And hopefully also getting away from Maguuma, because I've just about burned out on the zones. People are not going for the meta events a lot of the time, and I miss the old world (just wish the old world had gliding).

IMO ArenaNet just needs some goals that are about 1/3 of what a legendary item takes in time/resources, for people who need for something to aim at by playing.

We could really use some new armors that didn't suck. Some new interesting loot that would make champions and Hero Points worth killing. Besides a Lightward Battlestaff having a 0,00001% chance of dropping from a airship cargo, there is nothing I want. Besides the damn Verdant Brink Meta chest piece (sigh..).

It's an MMO so of course a lot of the appeal is from grinding from rewards. The genre by definition is just doing the same content over and over again, so if the rewards are too gimped and skins take too long to get then obviously it's an issue. I hardly think GW2's design somehow makes it different from other MMOs and more about playing purely for "gameplay fun".

There are hundreds of game genres that center around a literal core game loop of repeating the same content over and over, that *don't* have rewards of any kind for repeating the content. And they're just fine, the lack of rewards is never seen by the players as being an issue in any way.

MMOs do suffer from the issue of early designs in the genre being centered around bad carrot-stick mechanics, do the thing, get the ephemeral shiny. But that kind of system is not intrinsic to the genre, nor required. It's a pity many MMOs, if not most, still employ it to try and trick kids into playing. Same goes for shit like achivements, hats, shiny golden skins for getting a character to level 100, etc.

But, and this is my opinion, if you're playing a game for a digital reward, I think that's a problem with the player, not the game. Perhaps if people stopped falling for easy skinnerbox traps, developers would stop relying on it as a cheap way to trick people into engagement.

GW2, thankfully, doesn't rely on such tricks entirely (no matter how overstated and overblown some people make it sound, because hyperbole is fun and easy especially when you're upset and want to start some kind of pity party on the internet). Most of my own engagement comes from the game being *fun*. The Skinwars barbie dressup crap is just incidental, and in my mind, there for people who want it. It is not the end game, it is not the main reason to play, and it's a bit sad it *is* the main reason for some people to play, I feel.

I keep hoping Anet will leave skins and dress-up stuff for the cosmetics store (they're a business, gotta make money), and keep in-game rewards from content more functional, like Mawdry and Princess. That stuff is mint: it's worth something other than trying to show off by idling in LA, but I understand why people like doing that. Legendaries were, once, I think a good way to balance functionality (stat swapping) with something cosmetic, but Anet has kinda lost the plot with them.

Anyway - considering I've played MMOs that *actually* force people to grind for *basic* content and progression, I have to laugh when people accuse GW2 of grind. The only grind GW2 has, is the grind you inflict on yourself. Taking content that was meant to last months, and forcing yourself to do it over and over so you can do it in a week or less, I don't consider that a built-in grind. That's a player being impatient and stupid. So complaining about optional lengthly content being a "grind" when you try and do it fast, is like someone punching themselves and then crying about how much they're being punched. It's the Queensdale Train all over again. GW2 had no grind, so people MADE themselves a grind, then complained about the grinding. That's just...

g2NKnkN.gif

The mastery Rep grind is trash, Itzel/Nuhoch/Exalted reminds me of Eye of the North Rep, but totally fucking useless, at least in Norn areas my HP would be increased based on rank, these rep grind add nothing useful to experience of GW2, the design is flawed and just looks like NCsoft rushed Anet out the door with an unpolished, unfinished game, if you max out Exalted the final line give the ability to gather Auric Sliver, AS on the TP is 1s 12c, that shit reeks of unfinished, put all that time into Exalted mastery for an item worth nothing on the TP, because you can get a ton of them from completing Tarir..

I dunno, I think the mastery tracks are reasonably okay.

Itzel is mostly movement and survival, bouncing mushrooms, blazing speed, poison, adrenal, and then only one vendor and one champ-fight prize. So Itzel is pretty useful, especially for doing adventures, getting around the maps fast, and reaching areas in Dragon Stand. They're in line with the 'metroidvania' concept Arenanet talked about, and add a lot, even if they're cribbing and gating the Aspect movement schemas to a degree.

Exalted spends a bit too much on just lore and vendor stuff, but the recall and gathering tracks ain't too bad.

Nuhoch doesn't feel too bad either, the wallows are great, but most of the mastery has to do with basically just being able to get to, see, or survive certain things, so it's more limited in its use.

Gliding is awesome through and through.

I think, as a first try, Masteries are by FAR more appealing than the rep shit from GW1 that, at most, gave you a bit of HP boost that meant nothing in grand scheme of things, and were WAY harder to get all the way up. But I hope Anet has ideas on how to make the masteries more worthwhile in the long run with LW updates.

As for Auric Silver's price on the TP, we're still in the first month of the xpac launch, the market is flooded with crap because everyone is doing the same stuff. Not too surprised they're cheap right now.

It's been exactly 30 days since the xpac launch. Only 30 days, and people are already talking as if it's over and done. Maan. I wish I had that kind of free time. I've not even seen the Dragon Stand meta yet.

Proven

Although it's annoying to know there isn't anything you can really do, I'm somewhat glad I wasn't missing a very obvious mechanic or something.

I hope they support the game mode though, it's definitely a fun way to play PvP.
Nah, you're not missing anything. I'm just surprised myself that I figured out that the best way to play outside of hyper offense is to play defense and win by points. Otherwise you can get into the impossible-to-leave-your-base situation. The only way to counter this would be to massively reduce the points gained from capturing hero spawns. Which again goes back to the NPC balance not being quite right.

Hero Spawns also irk me a tiny bit for a different reason, but that probably won't matter too much in the long run.

Welcome to grind wars 2, dungeon gold is shit, the economy is shit, fractals pay off is shit, most of the HoT mastery after a certain point is pure shit, the one decent aspect of making gold was nerf, game is perfect, this is the game Anet dreamed about, now players will buy Gems and trade them for gold since every thing is shit..

For better or worse, the primary money making method post-HoT is to sell content specific materials on the Trading Post, with maybe some crafting thrown in when opportunity arises. Although, I think that's similar to how players made money in GW1?

Also, at the very least I've heard that in the long run you should ignore the mastery experience requirements as the final bottleneck will be earning enough mastery points.

I have a similar opinion right now, more specifically in the exp grind just to gain the necessary masteries to finish the story. I've never been this mad at the game until I learned I have to grind yet again to get a necessary mastery just so I can progress with my story. Masteries being accountbound does not lessen the irritation. The difference in having fun leveling my first time through Tyria versus HoT is night and day. I'm done buying gem cards.

The only masteries you need to finish the story are all level 1 (except updraft), and so they go by quite quickly (especially if you remember to use laurel xp boosters and food). They are:

Glider Basics (Gliding Level 1)
Bouncing Mushroom (Izel Lore Level 1)
Exalted Markings (Exalted Lore Level 1)
Updraft Use (Gliding Level 2)
Nuhoch Hunting (Nuhoch Lore Level 1)

If you do the various map metas and just explore and have fun, they're really quick to get. I only had an hour every few days to play, and I finished the story in the first few weeks without a single drop of grinding. It helps to not be too laser-focused on the story: explore the maps, follow some DE chains (which are stories in themselves), and again, remember to use XP boosting stuff like food.

Adventures also give a ton of XP, seriously. You should *not* be having to grind to get the masteries needed for the story, unless you're doing something really wrong.

XBLc94f.jpg

Seeing this reminded me that Retro and I had already discussed the lack of Dynamic Events. There's a lot going on in HoT maps that I'd prefer the game not keep doing in the future. On-rails event scheduling and progression isn't fun after the second or third time seeing it.

We even talked about this in the thread months ago before release. Orr maps manage to pack in lots of side events to go along with the big temple events. Every map since Dry Top has been all about filling the bar to meet requirements for a single central map meta event.

Another shit i hate, they put the raid in VB which fucked up VB, many times in the last week I wanted to run VB i get into maps half dead only because raid parties are making megaservers open a new instance, they should have made the raid instance access in LA..

spiritfox

XBLc94f.jpg

Seeing this reminded me that Retro and I had already discussed the lack of Dynamic Events. There's a lot going on in HoT maps that I'd prefer the game not keep doing in the future. On-rails event scheduling and progression isn't fun after the second or third time seeing it.

We even talked about this in the thread months ago before release. Orr maps manage to pack in lots of side events to go along with the big temple events. Every map since Dry Top has been all about filling the bar to meet requirements for a single central map meta event.

I agree, and it really reinforces the repetition of the maps. There are no side events that are not linked to the map metas in any of the new maps, and if you have done them all, there not much left to find outside of mastery and hero points. The limited events also hurt masteries cause you'll end up doing the same events over and over again to get XP, which suddenly becomes a chore. I don't mind map metas, and I think they're really cool ideas, but there's nothing outside of that, and that hurts replayability a lot.

Oh, adventures are nice, but there's no interesting dialogue or characters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pushing on level 66 now... I will get to those end zones eventually...
why did I even buy the expansion at release

Don't forget on top of giving us 4 new SW maps that always reset, the adventure are lock and needs to be opened, so even if i am enjoying the mini game and forget the meta shit, at some point i get locked out, they force players to move onto the meta battles, when they don't want too....

Spyware

XBLc94f.jpg

Yeah, this is basically why I haven't been on since Halloween. I don't like the new zones, I don't like the long story instances and the combat in them and I'm not confident enough to try raids anytime soon.
I was never a fan of the overly long story battles, so that's not really new. But the zone/event thing is a huge difference from the base game and it just isn't my thing at all. I go in there and feel trapped. I miss the "freedom" from the base game zones.
I don't wanna get anything (more) spoiled tho so I have to keep away from pretty much everything GW2. I love Rev and the Elite Specs but the new content isn't for me. I'm just waiting for Wintersday now. :/

Daytime events in VB can all be considered "side" events because they do not count towards the max security level of the Nightime meta.

Pillar events to give you additional a Exalted Armors but even if you don't do any of the pillar events the Ocravine meta will spawn. This means the pillar events can be considered "side events".

Same in TD, the true meta that you coordinate for only happens for 15minutes every 2 hours. The rest of the time your just helping the outposts but the completion of these events are not necessary to progress the map as they are in SW.

Dragon Stand is as you guys say because they wanted to do a big war zone map where the players are all converging to fight 1 thing. I think I would have preferred the map stay open after meta ends for people who want to stay so people can explore it at thier own pace, by doing interesting events.

I do not think it's fair to call all the new maps "SW" maps because for 3/4 maples only at a certain time there is a meta where you are filling up a bar. Rest of the time it is there for you to explore but during that time the maps always tell the same stories with smaller metas. This is different from core maps only in that in core maps they did not have an overarching story tied to them on certain areas of the maps had story.

In last week's Guild Chat, Leah Hoyer says that there is a lot more story to tell in these maps and they will be doing that via the living world.

Zeroth

It's dishearting to think HoT introduced so much stuff, yet I feel like I have nothing to do. Killing off dungeons hurt me way more than I expected, if only because it makes me realize that this kind of content, where I can grab 3-4 friends and do relatively hard things but that are certainly fun, is not being supported (fractals are meant to be the new thing but all changes to them have made me feel like they dont have a clear direction).

Map wide events are boring after the 20th time yet you need to do them for currency for all the billions of collections added. The timers which prevent you from doing what you want when you want, events which are the same thing.. The list goes on.

Its sad but many months ago I would talk to friends and we would be like "think of all we will be able to do!" and now I miss doing the old stuff and have little interest in the new stuff. In part I guess it's the whole c-changes thing, but also the realization that the game is focusing in content that I have no interest in, and worst of all, focusing in a way that is displeasing those who like it.

leng jai

GW2 now is nothing like what it was since launch. The whole design philosophy and direction has gone on massive tangents - just look at every new map they've added since launch. It's expected that a lot of people won't like HoT since the changes are so drastic. If you mainly played WvW, sPVP, dungeons or Fractals you might as well just uninstall especially if you were expecting anything new.

The fact that we only got 3 legendaries in the expansion that we can't even craft yet is terrible, and let's not talk about how pre-cursor crafting turned out.

leng jai

I swear dungeons are still in the game but there aren't any new ones. People talking about them like they do not exist anymore.

No new ones for 3 years. Gold and XP reward nerfed severely so they're not even worth doing. Zero effort to rebalance them so everything dies in 2 seconds now. So good.

Zeroth

I swear dungeons are still in the game but there aren't any new ones. People talking about them like they do not exist anymore.

There is no incentive to run dungeons. Their rewards suck (including the loot, I get more blues in dungeons than in open world) and even the dungeon specific tokens are rewarded in too low amounts to be worth it for themselves. As such, you get basically nothing for the experience, which is bad.

Why run dungeons when doing anything else is more rewarding? Even if one likes dungeons, you still feel punished for doing them by getting rewards that are absolutely terrible compared to all else. It also doesnt help you feel in the bone what you are doing will never be supported again.

They said fractals would make up for the gold lost, but fractal loot is horrible, fractal can make up for the loot, but it's based on RNG, if RNG is with you, you can get the 5g junk item and make some gold, but 35 fractals ran no 5g junk item i get the 10s...

There's no content with difficulty between the mind numbingly easy fractals and raids right now.

I dislike just about everything that HoT brought. I was so excited for this release thinking I would have so much to do, and now a month in I'm twiddling my thumbs. I was hoping raids would bring it back for me but that's been more of a logistical nightmare than fun content.

I complained before the expac released that I had nothing to do and now I feel like I have even less.

&#9733; Wintersday Events &#9733;
&#9734; SECRET SANTA - SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19 &#9734;

Deadline to join: December 4, 2015 11:59pm EST
Gift exchange: December 19, 2015 after missions (~10:30 PM EST)
Gift value MAXIMUM: 250 gems / 45 gold

We're doing another Secret Santa this year! If you'd like to participate, please contact appletoasty with your Guild Wars 2 account name (accountname.#####) via NeoGAF PM, in game (appletoasty.7062), or otherwise by midnight EST on Friday, December 4, 2015. The following day you will receive an in-game mail to find out who your recipient is and you will have two weeks to prepare an in-game gift for them valued at most 250 gems or its equivalent in gold (about 45g at the time of this post).

After missions on Saturday, December 19, 2015 we will gather in the guild hall and mail our gifts to each other. If you're not able to attend missions that day for any reason, you may send your gift in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom