• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retro makes a lot of good points, I'm pretty disappointed with HoT also. I still love the game, but I've been playing it less and less each day. I mainly just pvp, but pvp is a mess at the moment. The elite specs have completely replaced the core professions. At the level I'm playing, if you're not using an elite spec you are handicapping your team. Balance also isn't good at all and there likely won't be a balance patch anytime soon because Pro League just started. Stronghold turned out to be a failed experiment. Also Warrior is pretty much nonexistent because of the balance. (Thief also, but Thief is at least somewhat viable) Don't even get me started about MMR and solo players going up against premades. I am pretty much just waiting for leagues. Which was rumored to start December 1st, but they haven't been talking about it, so it makes me wonder if it got pushed back.

Also don't even get me started about wvw, it's a ghost town, completely dead and for good reason too.

Thorgal

I've seen plenty of reports that to be successful in a raid you only need to teach about 4-6k Dps. So it's hardly a grab best meta xerk gear or go get fucked ' situation.

Will post more later.

We're thankful for #GW2 players for being part of our journey–visit the gem store this weekend for thank-you gifts!

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/669516905657552897

CUqaFAMU8AAVMqH.jpg

Proven

Retro makes a lot of good points, I'm pretty disappointed with HoT also. I still love the game, but I've been playing it less and less each day. I mainly just pvp, but pvp is a mess at the moment. The elite specs have completely replaced the core professions. At the level I'm playing, if you're not using an elite spec you are handicapping your team. Balance also isn't good at all and there likely won't be a balance patch anytime soon because Pro League just started. Stronghold turned out to be a failed experiment. Also Warrior is pretty much nonexistent because of the balance. (Thief also, but Thief is at least somewhat viable) Don't even get me started about MMR and solo players going up against premades. I am pretty much just waiting for leagues. Which was rumored to start December 1st, but they haven't been talking about it, so it makes me wonder if it got pushed back.

Also don't even get me started about wvw, it's a ghost town, completely dead and for good reason too.

I haven't decided how I feel about elite specs yet, mostly because right after launch if I wasn't testing Berserker I was playing Stronghold and using the treb as much as possible. Balance is still settling down in some respects, but if it stays this way it's because most of the elite specs carry themselves on their own; you don't sacrifice all that much when you consider the gains, and they may not have considered enough core game counters. Like, there's a huge need for boon hate right now but that's always been something they've shied away from having much of, even when it could have helped against the Cele Ele/Engi meta.

But it's true that for the time being the elite specs are the Apex Predators. And as long as that's true; as long as the elite specs carry themselves this much then at the very least their elite specs icons should show on the scoreboard rather than the generic profession icon. I'd like more transparency there since they went through with showing parties in arena.

It's annoying that the Pro League is underway but PvP leagues are still missing. December 1st is only being bandied about because it's next on the patch cycle. After that is the 15th which will likely be the start of Wintersday. Then vacation until January.

Proven

It's part of the overarching Build Wars 2 mantra this game has had. You can't swap skills (not even utilities! I figured they were named utilities for a reason!) which is why the best builds tend to be bruiser builds that try to combine the best combination of offense, CC, boons, healing, and condi removal. Fights are spread out, which is a good thing, but then it means everyone needs to carry a generalist build unless their class is really, really good at one thing (bunkers, assassins, decap, etc.). And to avoid counter picking too much they hide all of your choices, so if you try to build around heavy condi damage Necros, and run into heavy burst instead, ha ha.

But fuck that. Let me change my utilities in spawn or while I'm dead so that I'm not just hard countered before the match even starts. Or, show me more information so I can make more intelligent decisions about what's coming at me. Else, just like in a TCG, only the apex predators will win unless you catch a weaker player off guard with your pet build (that's me, most of the time).

Just take the TCG analogy all the way and let my 3 utility slots be my side deck. The rounds are too long and a build loss is too punishing otherwise. This wasn't a problem in GW1 because you'd have an entire team to build with, but GW2 is too 1v1 and 2v2 friendly for that.

Too much negativity going around right now!

Need Wintersday right away to cheer people up a bit.

You mean a seasonal event that likely won't have any changes, that people will complain has no changes and "is the same as last year"?

Sorry, all light and positivity is dead in GAF guild. I blame raids. :p

Maledict

Screw everyone who doesn't like Wintersday - it has that amazing jumping puzzle! Last year I logged on several times just to do that (I wasn't playing at the time). It's amazing!

You mean a seasonal event that likely won't have any changes, that people will complain has no changes and "is the same as last year"?

Sorry, all light and positivity is dead in GAF guild. I blame raids. :p

The secret Santa event will cheer up the guild.

Raid is fun imo but I just don't have time to be on longer than an hour or two to keep getting better at it. I don't mind if it takes a long time before I'm able to actually kill VG. I'm not going to rush and grind gold for a new set of armor because I don't have that kind of time.

The secret Santa event will cheer up the guild.

I hope so :3 I need more people to sign up!

Screw everyone who doesn't like Wintersday - it has that amazing jumping puzzle! Last year I logged on several times just to do that (I wasn't playing at the time). It's amazing!

I remember hating it at the time but I'm remembering it fondly. The jump from the 2nd fire checkpoint to the exploding presents was so hard, I wonder if I'd be any better at it now

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry, all light and positivity is dead in GAF guild.
Don't say that :p

Everyone has their personal areas of disappointment with the expansion including me, but there is still plenty of fun to be had in the guild. Our events are always a good time. Hopefully I can be there for jumpjumping at Only Zuhl tonight!

Don't say that :p

Everyone has their personal areas of disappointment with the expansion including me, but there is still plenty of fun to be had in the guild. Our events are always a good time. Hopefully I can be there for jumpjumping at Only Zuhl tonight!
You finished the HoT story yet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You finished the HoT story yet?
Nah, taking it very slow. I just got to Tangled Depths, story-wise, and need Nuhoch wallow mastery to continue I believe.

After the first couple of missions, I realized how much I'd vastly have preferred they had been released episodically as Living Story updates. I think they would have had a really positive impact in that format and kept people talking about the plot machinations on an ongoing basis. So, I'm kind of artificially making it into that kind of thing for myself.

Pro tip:

You all should just tape a sticky note over the "event log" and turn off map chat. Go into the new maps and explore, they are awesome. I'm sure you don't need an event every second just for you to explore.

To enjoy this you'll have to not care about rewards though.
That Pro tip has not worked for me. Mapchat is already off and I generally don't care about seeking events when I'm exploring by myself. I don't give a shit about the loot rewards. But I also don't want to get ahead of myself in exploring when the storyline hasn't revealed it to me. I already stumbled across Novus whereas I didn't reach there yet in the story. I took my time and 100%ed VB and AB. I have most of TD seen. And yet I still ran into my second mastery gate. So now I'm running around doing the same now shitty events trying to gain 2 million exp. Maybe I should stop caring so much about the story and spoil Dragon's Stand ahead of any story missions so I don't have to keep doing the same events over and over. That might get me a million exp. I only have myself to blame in trying to play the game the same way I've played it since launch.

Retro

"Major" WvW overhaul coming:
Colin Johanson said:
As an engineer main, this remains one of those things I'd love to see addressed...But the reality is we need the bulk of our own internal engineers (coders!) to continue to focus on stuff like our major WvW overhaul right now we've been working on for over a year that's much higher priority for the game over-all.

This remains on the someday that'd sure be awesome list. :)
(source)
Obviously no ETA yet.
Too much negativity going around right now!
Ehh, that's kinda bullshit. I still very much enjoy playing GW2 and am looking forward to what's ahead, and it's precisely because I like it so much that I'm critical of it when I feel something is a misstep.

Hedge

How can you even recommend TD to someone with little-to-no masteries? That place is a hell to travel even with a few masteries. Terrible map.

Zeroth

Thanks to all who came to the JP tonight :) We managed to hit a couple Dynamic Events you don't usually see, which is kinda funny given the recent discussions happening in the thread! The lava killed a few of us and sometimes we had a hard time crossing the ice room due to the exploding stalagmites, but everyone stayed together and we finished the JP all together like a good jumping squad ;)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Thanks to all who came to the JP tonight :) We managed to hit a couple Dynamic Events you don't usually see, which is kinda funny given the recent discussions happening in the thread! The lava killed a few of us and sometimes we had a hard time crossing the ice room due to the exploding stalagmites, but everyone stayed together and we finished the JP all together like a good jumping squad ;)

Damn, yesterday was wednesday wasn't it...

I am losing all sense of time ever since I started working

Proven

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the GAF guild. You're all too kind to me. The last few days had me put out a lot of low value posts that I almost deleted afterward. Thank for putting up with me.

Zeroth

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the GAF guild. You're all too kind to me. The last few days had me put out a lot of low value posts that I almost deleted afterward. Thank for putting up with me.

You are fine Proven, just have to come play PvP with Adriaaa me

spiritfox

Your posts more better than mine. So cheer up and let's do some guild PvP.

Retro

I don't see how they're low value, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else. I enjoy reading them because I rarely PVP so that side of the game I don't follow quite as closely.

Anyways, happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Took down the Vale Guardian last night in a pug (actually got into a full group by typing 'LFR Exp Chronomancer). I had 80 or 90 mag shards from previous pug attempts before taking it down. It was an extremely satisfying kill, and I feel like my DPS and utility has been well tested. I cannot stress enough how, as a Mesmer main, Chronomancer has been the best part of the expansion for me. What a glorious fucking elite spec. Alracrity makes everyone happy, and I feel powerful and useful in just about every situation I've been in.

I have at least one of every class up to 80, but I barely play any of them in PvE except for Mesmer. None of the other classes click for me, or if they do, they feel too familiar (Reaper, though, may be an exception from what I've tried so far in PvP). In fact, since launch, I've effectively only played two weapons on Mesmer: Greatsword and Staff. I strongly believe that I would've gotten bored with the game years ago if it weren't for GS Mesmer and shatter builds; it just feels so good and unlike anything I can get in any other game.

Up until Vale Guardian, every single dungeon and fractal (well, never really got into fractals), I've played with GS/Staff. With VG, it became clear that I had to bend my style to cater to this fight, and it didn't feel comfortable at first at all. Instead of Staff, I took 1H Sword+Shield (1H Sword on Mesmer is practically essential for one of the phases where constant boon strip is necessary). As the attempts went on, Sw/Sh finally clicked for me and became extremely enjoyable - I've never before enjoyed 1H Sword on Mesmer.

By the time my group downed the boss after 15-20 attempts last night, a part of me felt a bit naive for sticking with Staff in single-target PvE content for as long as I have been. Now I'll never give up Greatsword in almost all situations, as the range and flexibility for my shatter style is too good, but 1H Sword and Shield might be my new permanent secondary for even open world PvE now, and I know I wouldn't have been pushed to try it without Raids and the harsh DPS timers that come with them.

In fact, getting to the second Spirit Vale boss (which appears to have an even tougher DPS timer, though the only attempts I've had against it are learning attempts), now I'm starting to feel the inflexibility of stat shifting. I know Legendary Armor's selling point will be stat changing any time you wish, but I think stat flexibility will be just as important for raids as it is for PvP. I believe it's time for Anet to consider allowing players to more dynamically switch stats with Ascended Armor (maybe by first 'feeding' the armor Orichalcum Insignias or something, but being able to switch freely between the fed stats after that). Zerk Mesmer got me past the first boss, but I feel that I'll need something different for each fight if the second SV boss is any indication of what's to come. I like adapting, I just don't feel like the tools are there yet to make it ideal.

Quenk

Grats! Chronomancer looks really cool but I ignore my poor mesmer.

I'm not sure if ANet will ever look into ascended stat switching more but I think one of the biggest things holding me back from stat switching a set is the way runes work. Even if I had legendary armor, I'm not sure how often I'd bother switching the stats if I have to re-buy a full rune set as well.

Grats! Chronomancer looks really cool but I ignore my poor mesmer.

I'm not sure if ANet will ever look into ascended stat switching more but I think one of the biggest things holding me back from stat switching a set is the way runes work. Even if I had legendary armor, I'm not sure how often I'd bother switching the stats if I have to re-buy a full rune set as well.
i hope legendary armor can either allow you to swap runes such that when u apply anew one young et the old one back or even better if they just have a drop down menu u can select, like in pvp.

This shouldn't even be a legendary armor only because the way it looks like very few people will be able to get this armor.

Hedge

So glad I have 100 charged quartz left from when wintersday gifts just keep spewing them out. Not that I'll ever actually reach T3 of Astralaria.

docbon

I've been using all of mine on the ley-line tools. It's been keeping me afloat since I dumped a ton of gold on viper gear.

Proven

You are fine Proven, just have to come play PvP with Adriaaa me

Your posts more better than mine. So cheer up and let's do some guild PvP.

I don't see how they're low value, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else. I enjoy reading them because I rarely PVP so that side of the game I don't follow quite as closely.

Anyways, happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

The big thing is that the posts have felt too... rambly. Like I was posting just to be a part of the conversation instead of helping it. But thanks guys.

I'll try to at least hit up spiritfox more often when I can play in the mornings. I'm also going to try for missions this weekend; we can go for a PvP or WvW mission beforehand at 6pm EST.

i hope legendary armor can either allow you to swap runes such that when u apply anew one young et the old one back or even better if they just have a drop down menu u can select, like in pvp.

This shouldn't even be a legendary armor only because the way it looks like very few people will be able to get this armor.

There are so many runes that are at vendor value on the TP, ANet needs to do something eventually to bring up their value. Whether they go a wardrobe type solution (and let you use spirit shards to swap them?) or a mystic forge type answer, I hope to see so soon.

Anno

I think I got 7k XP yesterday with a full kill streak and food just for two-hitting three level 14 Moas. Gonna have to go hunt some packs of pocket raptors tonight and see what I can get with 20 of those little bastards, should be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom