• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) People undervalue the value of stats. If you walk into level 30 dungeon wearing level 15 gear you're gonna have a bad time. Going into dungeons wearing stat relevant gear stop you from being two shot.

I have a good mixture of Precision, Power, Vitality, and Toughness and I had a full set of 53 rare yellows at level 53 and did TA, the level 50 dungeon, in story mode but could still get easily 1-2 shot if I wasn't careful. I'm sure I was much better off than if I had entered with level 45 gear but the damage output of dungeon mobs and bosses is a bit high, especially when they come at you in large numbers. One or two mobs are usually not much of a problem.

The difficulty has little to do with understanding mechanics or how to play the game as the only times I ever really died was when I stopped moving and tried to revive other players. I usually start reviving while stealthed and have the trait for extended stealth time but it's ridiculous how fast you can get focused down while trying to revive someone. The damage output of mobs in dungeons is simply incredibly high in comparison to anything you face outside of dungeons, short of a group event boss.

CM and TA story mode are laughably easy compared to AC. I kind of cheated and read a guide for TA before entering so that probably helped but I went into CM blind and with several gear pieces below the intended level and it wasn't a problem. Maybe that's because I have a better understanding at this level of my character class and the way these dungeon encounters are designed, along with access to better traits and abilities, but AC just seems grossly imbalanced compared to the other two dungeons I have done. The progression is weird.

In addition, I dislike how punishing dungeon encounters are for players that want to melee. It's not impossible and I switch in/out of melee all the time, but dungeons are flat out 100% easier if I just run around and use my short bow the majority of the time.

Achtius

It also seems to mean we have to take on those scary coordinated motherfuckers on Henge all the damn time! What's the point of 24 hour matchups if they keep putting us against the same server?

Coordination is the biggest pet peeve for me with WvW. I think guild parties do really well and that's why we can perform passably, but team and map chat is just painful. EVERY single thing out of people's mouths in public communication is phrased as an insult. It's turning into fucking Dota. I'm not sure whether to weep for humanity or for the gaming community. It's just horrific behavior on display.

yeah, we should organize an acutal WvW event, would probably be fun if we get everyone to queue at the same time.

BrettWeir

Awwww yeah. Got my full set of MF armor, weapons, runes, and food. Now to get 3 more levels so I can wear it all.

Should hit 80 tonight.......on my 2nd toon. :)

Love this damn game. I need to get in on some GAF dungeon runs. I have yet to step into any of them yet.

Xiaoki

What's the best place to farm for karma? I figure since I have more time than money karma gear would be the best route for me to take.

Straits of Devastation zerg.

Its a cycle of 9 to 10 DEs. A Gold will get you 350 karma.

2 problems however.

1- there will usually be a lot of people, so on the Veteran bosses if you get to them a couple seconds late you will get a Bronze or nothing at all.

2- recently it seems people are purposely trolling the zerg by doing DEs(like the Veteran bosses) when the zerg is doing a different a DE. This messes up the cycle.

1) People undervalue the value of stats. If you walk into level 30 dungeon wearing level 15 gear you're gonna have a bad time. Going into dungeons wearing stat relevant gear stop you from being two shot.
Didn't I just say I went into the lowest-level dungeon wearing level 60 rare gear... and was still getting downed REALLY FAST?

Really, though, the damage output in these dungeons (AC in particular) is just astronomically higher than anything else you're going to receive in the rest of the entire game. Something is way, WAY off about that. The bloody dragons don't hit me that hard, no champion hits me that hard (with the only exception of the fire elemental, all of whose damage is avoidable and the adds are the only real threat), it's just the dungeons! And they're only NORMAL MOBS!

2) If you don't use your Ctrl key to see how to stop traps you're gonna have a bad time.

3) If you walk into the first room of AC and immediately open up every coffin you're gonna have a bad time.
These haven't been a problem for me.

4) If you don't use Ctrl-T to call targets (monks first, ranger second, ele/mes third) and focus them down you're gonna have a bad time.
Didn't know about this. This will be useful in the future.

Although the fact that I've played the game for 80 levels and have just now learned about this says something...

J-Rzez

WoW players are the least "welcoming" group of players out there period, especially when it comes to different games.

This game has things you have to learn, but it's one of the few out there that if you don't want to learn the depth of every facet, and just want to go play for some fun or to kill time, anyone can do it and in any multiple manners they want with whatever way they set their toon up.

WvW is not always player count matched, I've seen that buff numerous times now.

Dungeons are fun. It's just there are some people that are looking for the structure that is tank and spank, dps/heals watch for rings under you, and dps watch aggro meters. All while everyone watching Deadly Boss Mods vigilantly.

etiolate

Banned
My first AC run supplied a lot of deaths to my /deaths total.

My second AC run was with two of my friends who are casual to brand new MMO players. I told them each encounter one by one over voicechat and it was a much cleaner, smoother run. Early on, they struggled and then as they adjusted, they got a lot better.

It is a difficulty spike from the rest of the game, but there is logic to the pulls and encounters. Even Explorable mode runs which gave me problems have some old logic that I wasn't used to using. The idea that there are mobs you can just bypass and probably should seems strange compared to regular MMO dungeon design.

It is like the pvp-based dungeon and raid encounters in WoW, but that's not a bad thing to me. PVP isn't pure chaos. There is a system underneath and a strategy.

Ferrio

Banned
It also seems to mean we have to take on those scary coordinated motherfuckers on Henge all the damn time! What's the point of 24 hour matchups if they keep putting us against the same server?

Coordination is the biggest pet peeve for me with WvW. I think guild parties do really well and that's why we can perform passably, but team and map chat is just painful. EVERY single thing out of people's mouths in public communication is phrased as an insult. It's turning into fucking Dota. I'm not sure whether to weep for humanity or for the gaming community. It's just horrific behavior on display.

The point was to quickly get correct matchups before they switch to 2 week ones. Why shouldn't we be put up against them constantly? They're the only ones that flat out defeat us. Everytime they put us up against people lower than 4th place we destroy them.

Hoelbrak is my poison. I can't be in the city without being distracted by this amazing music.

TAKE HEED

Morokh

Didn't I just say I went into the lowest-level dungeon wearing level 60 rare gear... and was still getting downed REALLY FAST?

You undertstand that with scaling even if you're higher level you should NOT have an easier time when you go back to a lowest level dungeon ?

Level 60 with 60 gear downscaled to level 30 is equal to level 30 with 30 gear still.

TheYanger

Since it came up more than once, I won't bother to quote.

CHAOS IS NOT THE PROBLEM. You can claim 'oh it's just like pvp' all you want, but the ultimate fact is that it's NOT like pvp. In PvP the other player has as much hp as you do (barring stat differences). In PvP the other player has access to similar spells as you do (holistically accross all classes). In PvP you can ACTUALLY predict player behavior a lot better than you can predict mob behavior half the time in this game.

Stop trying to tell everyone they need to learn how to play it in order to have fun in the dungeons, sitting there with your fingers in your ears does nobody any good. The simple fact is you can run the majority of the dungeons, try pugging them, and have more than half of your group EVERY SINGLE TIME say "this is terrible". Just because you think eating shit is super delightful, does not mean that people will continue to eat shit just because you claim it's an acquired taste. You are not some god gifted player at the game who just 'gets' it while the rest of the plebs cannot fathom how the game works. Every time someone mentions a dungeon in guild chat, all that comes up is 'yeah those suck really bad' by half the guild. We can be undefeated in WvW - tactically destroying everyone else in pvp, and still find dungeons horrifically bad. They must be super similar to pvp guys!

You undertstand that with scaling even if you're higher level you should NOT have an easier time when you go back to a lowest level dungeon ?

Level 60 with 60 gear downscaled to level 30 is equal to level 30 with 30 gear still.

What about level 80s in level 80 exotics? You can't have better gear. You still die in 2 hits to many trash mob attacks. This gear scaling is a straw man argument. You can't honestly expect people to go hit up the AH and buy (current level) greens and yellows for every single slot in order to stand up to the massive challenge of....the first dungeon in the game. Gear is GOING to be underlevelled, period. Account for that in your tuning. It's not that hard.

Yes, but it's scaled with whatever grade of gear you're wearing at the moment. Since there are no rare gear sets at level 30, I was still stronger than anyone else going in with level 30 masterwork gear.

The difference is huge when you go into even lower-level areas in exotics. Stuff goes down in a couple hits.

Deadly

The point was to quickly get correct matchups before they switch to 2 week ones. Why shouldn't we be put up against them constantly? They're the only ones that flat out defeat us. Everytime they put us up against people lower than 4th place we destroy them.

It's fine with JQ and ET but HoD constantly destroy us. I know it was their point to dominate WvW but constantly dominating every other server can't be that fun in the long run...

Jack_AG

Banned
The problem most people are having when they come across this game is the wrong mentality of thinking for MMOs in general.

"What can do I at max level?"
"What gear can I get to replace my gear?"
"Why can't I dodge all the time?"

Instead, the questions should be asked:

"How many things can I do at max level today?"
"How can I acquire the looks of that gear and mix and match stats to make the gear I want?"
"When is the best time to dodge?"

Having things to do at max level is a general rule of thumb for video games with PERSISTENT online universes. It is a benchmark of design philosophy - NOT player philosophy. Do not confuse the two since... you are making your own game. Learn to NOT blame the player, k? It's bad business. Always expect the player to compare/contrast your game with the myriad of games before it. Think of ways to inform the player on YOUR game's design and intent - which I don't think GW2 does a very good job at, IMO.

How many things you can do at max level ties directly into "what can i do at max level" - they are one in the same yet you treat them differently. Again, this is design philosophy. Seeing as how even you think they are different further reinforces the shortcomings of GW2's design intent.

Gear makes people feel powerful - people want to get amazing shit to stomp face. They want to get things that make them feel more powerful for their hard work, not just a coat of paint. If everything has the exact same difficulty curve - that leaves nothing to look forward to for lots of players. They want to feel challenged and want to be rewarded with more than some bling.

Dodging is a very BASIC combat mechanic - if people don't understand why they can't dodge all the time - then they are never going to be able to understand WHEN.

TheYanger and his own opinions are very wow-centric, so if you read his posts he will come across as wrong as well. This kind of thinking doesn't fit this game, and if you continue to try to fit GW2 into WoW's mold, you will get more and more frustrated with the game, as many people here have seen to have done.

The draw to the game is the ability to do whatever you want when you reach Level 80. Technically, you can do more and more as you level up, including returning to older zones.

All the gear at a specific TIER of gear;

LVL 80 RARE
LVL 80 EXOTIC
LVL 80 LEGENDARY

has the exact same stats. A LVL 80 Rare Shaman's Norn Greatsword will have the same stats as a LVL 80 Rare Carrion Verdant Greatsword. The stat distributions, however, will be different. This is where transmutation stones come in. These stones are gotten for doing dailies, completing zones, and even can be bought off the gem store for cheap.

Thus it becomes acquiring the gear with the stats you want, then acquiring the gear with the looks you want. Some people interchange the two.

I personally believe that acquiring stats first makes the acquiring of looks faster (better stats meaning easier runs through dungeon explorables).

Secondly, to address the issue of Ascalonian Catacombs: The dungeon isn't hard - it's the first dungeon people cut their teeth on, and it's a doozy. The real reason why it's hard is because of several factors:

- People probably not sure how the game works yet
- People wearing sub 30 gear (making them have shit for health, damage, etc)
- People not dodging as much
- People not using the environment to their advantage

etc, etc. Most of the "problems" the dungeon has is based off of player error.

Player error or misunderstood intentions? There you go blaming the player for ANet not doing a better job of introducing the player to different mechanics in a way that is meaningful and impacts the player. Look - not dodging enough or not using the environment enough - you can only hold down CTRL so much before you need to let it go so it doesn't act as a modifier when knocking off abilities. Sub 30 gear is a testament to just how crappy the loot system is early on - you should always be getting loot near your character's range. It's a carrot on a stick - give some nice stuff to the player and tell them BETTER stuff is over here. Nobody should have to use the TP or spend ridiculous amounts of time crafting just to be ready for a dungeon at 30... 30! Not dodging is also bullshit which blames the player and not the design. FFS man - not everything is the player's fault. PLENTY of us have linked pictures showcasing how you just can't see jack shit when enemies are being attacked. The faint FAINT red AOE circles on the ground can EASILY be missed with the incredibly shitty camera that you are FORCED to deal with in dungeons thank's to tiny spaces.

Again, stop blaming the damn player for shitty design. Crappy camera and can't see shit? LOL lern2dodge! No - that's not how this works. Too many ability effects on a mob and you're going to EASILY miss that important wind-up when you need to move. Too many AOE fields from players on the ground and you can easily miss the enemy's AOE field dictated by that faint red circle. Camera being shitty just adds to that mess.

This is not rocket science - there are design faults with this game.

The game rewards you for smart thinking. If you can avoid enemies? Avoid 'em. If you can lure enemies to a much safer vantage point? Do it. If you can bring outside influences into the zone? Smart on you. These "inelegant" designs people think about the dungeon is because they're used to the idea that a fight has to go a certain "way". If there are multiple ways to a solution, does that mean that the problem was wrong in the first place? No, you were just smart enough to think outside the box. That is the biggest mantra the game teaches you.

And please, don't listen to TheYanger. The game is not based off of RNG. It's based off of you paying attention to your surroundings, not trying to facetank enemies thinking you won't get hit back, and hit hard.

Half of the reason people get "twoshot" or "oneshot" is because they unerringly stand right in front of enemies, or in the path of shots.

The fights I did with Hawkian the past two days have been amazing. Never before in dungeons have I ever felt like a crazy amazing adventurer, dodgerolling away from attacks, swapping weapons to drop a might buff and a heal with staff, then swapping back when the timer is up and leap attacking back into the fray, strafing around the enemy as much as possible.

You really just have to know what you're doing.

Oh my. Seriously? "smart thinking"? People aren't idiots so stop treating them like idiots. If there's only 1 way to go throught this TINY fucking hallway where my camera will be jacked and we're all clumped together and there's no way to fuck with enemy AI using the environment or they won't pull back to this larger room since Rytlock decided to run in and fight them right where they stand (stupid AI) - then I'm going to have a much more difficult time knowing when to dodge/get the fuck out of the way, do X ability, etc.

Is that the player's fault for the camera being fucked and a space where you are intentionally crammed up? I had Rytlock do some stupid ass shit in AC when I went through that was no fault of the player since he is AI controlled. We wanted to pull a pack to a larger room and Rytlock wouldn't have it.

Also, getting one shot due to "they unerringly stand right in front of enemies" - ahhh - so melee shouldn't play melee - also - you can be standing BEHIND the mob and have that mob just flip around and go to town without warning - since there isn't really a straight-forward aggro system - it's hard to tell when who will be targeted next. Let's not forget that enemies aren't set in stone with attacks - I've had them wind up an attack facing one player only to turn at the last second 180 degrees to whack me. Rolling out of the way of something that is less-than-split-second would require reaction conditioning no human being has.

What do you do then? Still blame the player? It's even worse when camera + ability effects GET IN THE WAY OF ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

There's a DECENT degree of difficulty in AC that gets marred by DESIGN FLAWS.

Don't confuse that shit with player error, please.

Noaloha

Nope, level 60. I'm no fool, thanks.

Cool, was just eliminating that possibility. Odd use of 'fool' though. Personally, I wouldn't consider a player foolish if they didn't understand (or if they simply made assumptions about) the game's method of equipment scaling under level-capped events -- it's a fairly non-standard approach that ArenaNet has taken.

Ferrio

Banned
It's fine with JQ and ET but HoD constantly destroy us. I know it was their point to dominate WvW but constantly dominating every other server can't be that fun in the long run...

Once 2 week battles begin I'm sure we'll see a more concentrated effort between the two servers to take on HoD together. That point it's 2v1, and there should be no excuse to losing. Only trouble would be late nights.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I didn't play much yesterday and feel sad inside. :(

This has been a very interesting 2-3 page catchup in this thread. Lots of interesting thoughts and opinions.

Jack_AG

Banned
Cool, was just eliminating that possibility. Odd use of 'fool' though. Personally, I wouldn't consider a player foolish if they didn't understand (or if they simply made assumptions about) the game's method of equipment scaling under level-capped events -- it's a fairly non-standard approach that ArenaNet has taken.

That is clearly ANet's fault for not introducing elements which help the player understand their design intent. A system should be intuitive enough to where a player does not have to research gear scaling on the internet to better understand how it works.

Games shouldn't hold a player's hand - but concepts like gear and scaling should be "loud and clear" to the player just by playing the game.

I didn't play much yesterday and feel sad inside. :(

This has been a very interesting 2-3 page catchup in this thread. Lots of interesting thoughts and opinions.

I haven't played at all the last couple of days due to NHL 13 but i don't feel bad at all. No monthly fee.

The two servers I was considering playing on, Stormbluff Isle and Henge of Denravi, are both full right now. :(

I guess I'll wait to see if one opens up...

J-Rzez

Stop trying to tell everyone they need to learn how to play it in order to have fun in the dungeons, sitting there with your fingers in your ears does nobody any good.

"L2P" seems to be the staple in WoW, so it can be used here too. Except, it is a different learning curve and style. Get used to it, it's action based, it's not tank and spank, you have to move at times other than when Deadly Boss Mods tells you to. It's not shit, it's challenging, like how WoW used to be (obviously in a different manner). My advice is then, to stay out of the dungeons if they're not for you. It's the style and approach they took. Can't say I like the gear scaling one bit, but that's besides the point. Eventually, just like how they did in WoW, the casuals will in fact ruin this game as well. They'll get AN to make the most difficult thing to do in the game is logging on at the same time as others.

Xiaoki

It wasn't made -for- us, the people playing. It was made for the people not playing yet.

A crappy commercial is not going to convert people that are not playing into people that are playing.

Desaan said:
Could of been much worse, at least they didn't spend $100 million on CGI trailers *cough*BW/EA*cough*.

Those CGI trailers probably get more people to buy the game than anything else.
It's just that in the case of SW:TOR the game itself wasnt good enough to retain them.

J-Rzez

Not sure if posted. WvW rankings from Sept 1 - current:

North American World Rankings
2132.171 Henge of Denravi
1952.644 Stormbluff Isle
1940.189 Eredon Terrace
1934.638 Jade Quarry
1729.114 Blackgate
1700.119 Isle of Janthir
1682.879 Sea of Sorrows
1646.364 Gate of Madness
1633.066 Crystal Desert
1564.007 Maguuma
1557.434 Fort Aspenwood
1528.095 Tarnished Coast
1521.522 Dragonbrand
1495.801 Sorrow’s Furnace
1475.709 Yak’s Bend
1453.539 Sanctum of Rall
1417.146 Ehmry Bay
1349.244 Darkhaven
1342.292 Anvil Rock
1153.872 Northern Shiverpeaks
1082.319 Borlis Pass
1079.313 Ferguson’s Crossing
917.602 Devona’s Rest
639.897 Kaineng

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Current-world-rankings

Also, for EuroGAF:

European World Rankings
2105.077 Vizunah Square
1827.692 Riversi
1818.402 Far Shiverpeaks
1805.138 solation
1719.996 Gandara
1671.552 Blackti
1635.271 Kodash
1633.805 Augury Rock
1624.561 Gunnar’s Hold
1612.615 Elona Reach
1605.675 Seafarer’s Rest
1601.157 Ja Sea
1581.806 Baruch Bay
1576.863 Arborstone
1537.148 Fort Ranik
1526.325 Aurora Gla
1502.309 Unrworld
1462.412 Abaddon’s Mouth
1371.646 Ring of Fire
1317.791 Drakkar Lake
1316.538 Piken Square
1295.069 Whitesi Ridge
1196.102 Ruins of Surmia
1163.022 Vabbi
1107.78 Fissure of Woe
1049.734 Miller’s Sound
848.089 Dzagonur

HBroward

Great job everyone on the WvW ranking, that is impressive stuff! I bet we get transfers because of it, which will hopefully help keep it going.

Azzurri

Saw this on Reddit a bit ago...HoD is really miles ahead of the rest of us. I know, it's only 179.527 "points", but compared to the spread on the rest of us? That's pretty insane.

HoD has the Titan alliance, plus some other large guild who are not part of the alliance. My guild has like 350+ members.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The music in this game, oh god the music.

I finally got the common sense to turn up the in-game music volume and put on a good set of sennheiser headphones.

The music when I entered Mount Maelstrom was godlike. A big /bow to Jeremy Soule and his crew.

ACE 1991

Level 20 and already losing a bit of steam. The combat is getting a little stale and repetitive for me as a warrior. Furthermore, everyone always discusses that this game emphasizes multiplayer, but this point seems moot because NO ONE ever talks during dynamic events or heart quests. I always try to party up or start some conversation and i'm always met with silence.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Getting second is good advertising for transfers. Once I get my dungeon gear, I'll definitely be playing a LOT more of WvW.

Level 20 and already losing a bit of steam. The combat is getting a little stale and repetitive for me as a warrior. Furthermore, everyone always discusses that this game emphasizes multiplayer, but this point seems moot because NO ONE ying on others to find ever talks during dynamic events or heart quests. I always try to party up or start some conversation and i'm always met with silence.

Try another class. Warrior is meant to be a rather introductory class. If you like melee, try Guardian. They're cooler. :p

Also, instead of relying on others for hearts and events, wander around and see what you can find. That's what I did, and I was always met with huge events with lots of players. I almost never party up except with gaffers. There's really no reason to unless you're playing with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom