• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
The music in this game, oh god the music.

I finally got the common sense to turn up the in-game music volume and put on a good set of sennheiser headphones.

The music when I entered Mount Maelstrom was godlike. A big /bow to Jeremy Soule and his crew.

The music is awesome. My favorite theme is this one, whenever it plays I just have to smile.

Ferrio

Banned
So how many story missions do I have left:

I just got done with the water mission with the funky winged chick (damn i want that race!)

The two servers I was considering playing on, Stormbluff Isle and Henge of Denravi, are both full right now. :(

I guess I'll wait to see if one opens up...

I believe transfers are still free, so you can pick a server now and level characters. Then when one of them isn't full you can just switch to that one with all your characters.

inky

So how many story missions do I have left:

I just got done with the water mission with the funky winged chick (damn i want that race!)

What level was that?

Edit: NVM, checking my personal story log I think you still have a good 10-12 story missions left.

Cobano

Neo Member
Just bought the game today. Install it, hyped to play and then I notice the performance issues.

I've got a gtx 570 (tried older and latest drivers),intel i750 and 4gb RAM. Sure it's not the best computer out there but I can run most new games almost at max. This game is barely playable at the lowest possible settings. I've been reading on forums and I'm far from the only one with these problems.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to playing this game. Maybe they'll fix this shit sometime soon. But it's definitely the worst 40 euro I spent this year.

Just bought the game today. Install it, hyped to play and then I notice the performance issues.

I've got a gtx 570 (tried older and latest drivers),intel i750 and 4gb RAM. Sure it's not the best computer out there but I can run most new games almost at max. This game is barely playable at the lowest possible settings. I've been reading on forums and I'm far from the only one with these problems.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to playing this game. Maybe they'll fix this shit sometime soon. But it's definitely the worst 40 euro I spent this year.

Did you get the beta drivers? They make a big difference. Still game runs shitty on Nvidia. GF has an older slower ATI based card that runs the game at same setting so much better.

Cobano

Neo Member
Did you get the beta drivers? They make a big difference. Still game runs shitty on Nvidia. GF has an older slower ATI based card that runs the game at same setting so much better.

Yeah, I've tried beta, the newest ones that they just released today and some older ones. Doesn't really make any difference unfortunately.

Anyone want to help me do AC Story later tonight? I haven't done a dungeon run and I want to see how different it is from normal PVE (and how badly I'll suck). I also have mumble. My toon is Hayira by the way.

BrettWeir

Can I ask how much hours you've spent in total?

Not to be a prick about it afterwards, just curious to see how much time it took you to get two chars to 80.

I'm almost scared to look myself.....lol. I'll try to remember to look this evening when I get home from work.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone want to help me do AC Story later tonight? I haven't done a dungeon run and I want to see how different it is from normal PVE (and how badly I'll suck). I also have mumble. My toon is Hayira by the way.
Yes, I'd be more than happy to. What time are you thinking?

What time? I also want to try dungeons now with a fresh set of gear, and practice getting better at being a support-spec guardian.

datamage

Haven't seen this posted yet:

Colin Johanson said:
No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.
On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.
We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.
We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does!

From here.

Kingbrave

I'd like to as I haven't finished it yet. My in game name is Grank Kaar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What time? I also want to try dungeons now with a fresh set of gear, and practice getting better at being a support-spec guardian.
I'd like to as I haven't finished it yet. My in game name is Grank Kaar.
Hey cool, that's almost a full team!

I have a prior engagement at 8 that shouldn't take too long, then after that I'm happy to hit it up. Send Hawkian the Blade a whisper/party invite.

kairotic

Neo Member
Anyone know if there is room in the GAF guild? I posted on gafguild.com. I get ignored when I message officers. :(

I play on Stormbluff Isle.

What time? I did my first one last night and would be willing to do it again. I'm pretty sure kn1ves24 would too. We were already talking about running AC tonight earlier. I'll be on Black Legend.

Arsin

I would be down to do some AC story if you guys still have room. I will be on Bro Is around that time, send me a msg if you need me.

Audioboxer

Try another class. Warrior is meant to be a rather introductory class. If you like melee, try Guardian. They're cooler. :p

Also, instead of relying on others for hearts and events, wander around and see what you can find. That's what I did, and I was always met with huge events with lots of players. I almost never party up except with gaffers. There's really no reason to unless you're playing with friends.

I sorely miss decent long ranged options on my guardian. Having a melee weapon and then switching to gun/bow on warrior is simply better (IMO). The sceptre has the worst auto attack animation/speed ever, and the staff is really suited for support, not dynamic event damage.

I guess I am a bit of a weapons freak in this game, I feel with the way the skills have been constructed it's a major element in keeping combat from feeling stale.

Mikeside

So I've just hit level 14, my next story mission is level 16 and I'd like to do some levelling, but I'm already finding it a little dull, to be honest - what could I do right now that would be more fun than just grinding mobs to get me the levels?

ShaneB

Level 20 and already losing a bit of steam. The combat is getting a little stale and repetitive for me as a warrior. Furthermore, everyone always discusses that this game emphasizes multiplayer, but this point seems moot because NO ONE ever talks during dynamic events or heart quests. I always try to party up or start some conversation and i'm always met with silence.

I switched classes from a warrior and it was definitely needed. Not to badmouth the Warrior since there are plenty of people having fun with that class, but I am definitely preferring the variety I've got playing an Engineer.

And for all the good GW2 has accomplished in terms of events and no kill stealing and all that good stuff, it certainly is a fairly quiet experience since you're not grouping up with random people really, and all that. People just tend to converge on things and go about the typical business.

Ferrio

Banned
So I've just hit level 14, my next story mission is level 16 and I'd like to do some levelling, but I'm already finding it a little dull, to be honest - what could I do right now that would be more fun than just grinding mobs to get me the levels?

You *never* have to grind mobs.

Things you can do for xp

1. Do dynamic events
2. Go to another starter zone
3. WvW
4. Craft
5. Explore the cities.

Try WvW. It's what I do if I want a break from grinding and you get some good EXP to boot.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Just keep in mind that some of us 80s are taking a (temporary) break for bit.

This is just a suggestion because I've seen other guilds do it before but...

If members plan to take a break or something, there should possibly be the option for members who plan to take a break to send a message to either the officers or one of the leaders telling them that they are planning to take a break and that they are not indefinitely inactive.

There should be a period of time when members should do this that starts at the inactive time period (like x time is when you are in danger of being kicked for being inactive).

Maybe even have this be a function of the GAF Guild forums so that all leaders and officers are aware of members taking a break and when they should be back on roughly.

It's probably too late for me to get on the gaf server but which server is gaf? I asked yesterday, I ended up picking Emerey Bay. Do the other character slots have to be on the same server?

Stormbluff Isle for NA GAF

Gandara for EU GAF

And yes, the other character slots have to be on the same server. I know that ANet was giving free server transfers for the first couple of weeks and they may still be doing so - you could try to switch if it's still free.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So when you do a dungeon in Explorer mode does the loot scale to your level?

Did AC last night (at lvl 80) and made out like a bandit...with lvl 30 gear.

So when you do a dungeon in Explorer mode does the loot scale to your level?

Did AC last night (at lvl 80) and made out like a bandit...with lvl 30 gear.

Seen a similar weird bug yesterday, I 100% Plains of Ashford on my second character level 14, and I got level 26 gear not even for my class lol...those rewards for 100% a zone shouldn't be random they should be for your class...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Has anyone done some general write-ups on the explorable dungeons yet? Tips/strats/things to think about?

Here's my write up for Ascalonian Catacombs:
Pick up boulder -> Throw boulder.

IAtt1.jpg

Think he meant the end chest reward. The hat.

Ya, when I saw that I wanted to cry. Everything else I found varied from level 60-80 but vendored for similar amounts so I didn't care. But I'm more excited when I find something I could use than finding stuff I could sell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is the best Guild Wars 2 review ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WdxF1EmADM&feature=plcp

Bless you, birgirpall

My suggestion would be to do the plethora of activities on your map around you that give you 100x more EXP than grinding mobs (which the game actually actively discourages by offering very little EXP).

1) Dynamic events
2) Hearts
3) Vistas/Exploration
4) WvW if you so desire

There are literally TONS of things available to you to do, and grinding mobs is the easiest way to play the game and never level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom