• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

(Assuming you have access to the 3-day headstart, and if you don't, why not?)

Useful Info
Want some info? Read the kickass OT! Oh wait, YOU ARE!
Guild Wars 2 Status: http://gw2status.com/
GAFGuild's website: http://www.gafguild.com
GAF Server Selection: Stormbluff Isle (US) / Gandara (EU)

Stress Test TODAY at Noon PDT / 3pm EDT!

GAFGuild Mega-Awesome Pre-Launch Super-Countdown Festival of Hype Mumble Meet & Greet Event!
Here's another opportunity for everyone to hop on Mumble and get to know their future guildmates before launch. Even if you don't have a microphone, you can still participate since Mumble has a chat window. If you don't want to speak up, that's fine too; talking is not mandatory and you're welcome to just log in and listen (keep the creepy stalker breathing to a minimum though).

The event will begin on Friday, August 25th at Midnight (9PM on the 24th Pacific, 4am GMT) and run for 3 hours. At this point, the game launches and everyone officially has license to freak out. This event is strictly B.Y.O.K (Bring Your Own Kool-Aid). Please note that ArenaNet has stated they may start the game up to 3 hours early, so you might as well get on mumble and spam the Login button with the rest of us.

Mumble Info:
(Quote post for info)

Come on Sat night!!!! Btw, for those of us who have pre-ordered, is does begin at 12am est sat night, correct?
See above; supposed to start at 3am, but it could go live as early as midnight EDT.

Sqorgar

Banned
In the last stress test, I noticed that GW2 has the ability to take stereoscopic screenshots in the key settings - but I totally forgot to try it out. Has anyone tried it? Does it make a jpg or something else?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I bought yesterday a Razer Naga just for this game!

Awesome! I love my Naga. I didn't install that companion program and I'm just fine. I don't think you need it and it's a bit out of date at this point from what my friend tells me.

Skip it.

BTW:
The instractions that came with the mouse say to download and instal a program called Razer Synapse 2.0 and reginster my product on it. Yet the mouse seems to be working fine on it's own without it.
Why should I do it?

I have a Razer Naga Epic and I recommend installing that package as I believe it includes the latest drivers for the mouse. I would also recommend updating to the latest firmware.

In the last stress test, I noticed that GW2 has the ability to take stereoscopic screenshots in the key settings - but I totally forgot to try it out. Has anyone tried it? Does it make a jpg or something else?

Neat, never knew of this. I always just added the game to steam and used f12 to take screenshots.

KiteGr

It's a companion program...allows you to set various aspects of the mouse. Welcome to club naga btw lol.

Yes, but why do I have to make an accound and rezister. Couldn't they have done it by simply downloading the program? Are they afraid that I'll pirate a mouce or something?

timkunedo

I've dreamed about this OT for a couple of years now. Can't believe it is here. I think i'm rolling on Yaks Bend. OMG so excited.

FinKL

Is there a way to change our display names, right?

I went afk the second I entered my Pre-purchase key and came back my login was expired, now I can't find a way to change it. It's currently just letters and numbers.

EDIT: Was looking at my GW1 account, which wasn't linked to my GW2

Stuart444

I went afk the second I entered my Pre-purchase key and came back my login was expired, now I can't find a way to change it. It's currently just letters and numbers

You can't change your UID, it will always be name.numbers

edit: Oh, you mean your login e-mail? Yeah, you can change that now on account.guildwars2.com

Proven

I bought from GMG On July 30th and put in the code on guildwars2.com and when i go in there to check on things there's not much info to confirm it got in. If you have "username.1234" means you have the game right?
You should be fine. Come join us for the Stress Test today.

I went afk the second I entered my Pre-purchase key and came back my login was expired, now I can't find a way to change it. It's currently just letters and numbers.

EDIT: I think it's my GW1 account let me look into it...

Yes, you can change it. Let me look up the link if it's not in account settings...
Edit: Yeah, just click account. Or click here: https://account.guildwars2.com/account
Edit2: No, you can't change your display name. Sorry. You can try sending a support ticket though.

FinKL

You guys are quick! I can only imagine Friday!

Was actually looking at my GW1 account. It's not linked to GW2 yet

Nice. What you expect the launch sales to be? I heard from someone in the last thread that they already have over 1 million sold through arenanet.

ferr

Still catching up on the features,

Play Together, Not Separately – You don’t have to worry about people taking an enemy from you. Any number of players can attack the same enemy and receive XP and loot for the kill if they meet a minimum damage threshold. No Ninja Looting here.
So I take it there aren't any rare mobs/etc where this would end up being a huge negative..?

And how is WvWvW? WoW's open world pvp left a bad taste in my mouth for that kind of stuff. I could imagine it going stale after a while- "Oh, how's the WvWvW going? We're losing? Alright whatever, hope the people that aren't bored of it yet can pull through!"

Heysoos

Yes, but why do I have to make an accound and rezister. Couldn't they have done it by simply downloading the program? Are they afraid that I'll pirate a mouce or something?

I believe this allows you to keep your profiles synched across all platforms. I may be wrong though.

Retro

Jira did some calculations in the last thread, based on the order numbers immediately after they started taking Pre-purchases and from some posted last night. The difference comes to over 1.5 million, and the game isn't even out yet.

That doesn't include people ordering from gaming sites or brick-and-mortar stores, that's just direct sales from ArenaNet.

Yep....

The dungeons are all optional content, not tied to your personal story but part of the overall tale of Guild Wars 2. From the wiki;

Divinity's Edge is a group of heroes who broke up before the events of the game, and had/has one member of each race that you'll encounter from the very start of your personal story (Logan, Rytlock, Caithe, Zojja and Eir). You can read about them in the "Edge of Destiny" novel, but again, it's entirely optional and I'm sure the game will fill you in on the details.

cool, thanks for the info!

BTW:
The instractions that came with the mouse say to download and instal a program called Razer Synapse 2.0 and reginster my product on it. Yet the mouse seems to be working fine on it's own without it.
Why should I do it?

Awesome! I love my Naga. I didn't install that companion program and I'm just fine. I don't think you need it and it's a bit out of date at this point from what my friend tells me.

Skip it.

Awesome, welcome to the Naga club , all you need is a G13 and you'll be pro status like some of us:
GW2FP.jpg

Interfectum

I haven't bought guild wars 2 yet or anything but I logged into the Guild Wars 2 account with my old GW1 info and my username is a bunch of letters and numbers. Is that normal?

Still catching up on the features,

So I take it there aren't any rare mobs/etc where this would end up being a huge negative..?

And how is WvWvW? WoW's open world pvp left a bad taste in my mouth for that kind of stuff. I could imagine it going stale after a while- "Oh, how's the WvWvW going? We're losing? Alright whatever, hope the people that aren't bored of it yet can pull through!"

Why would it end up being a huge negative? The game does have "rare"/"elite" mobs and world/event bosses. In GW2 any loot your get is your own loot. You don't share loot with other players, it is "yours" and other players get their own separate loot that you can't see either. It is all based on your contribution to the battle.

WvWvW looks absolutely epic. I'm going to be trying it out for myself but there are some awesome videos posted on the internet.

For a good overview of WvW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Dg_Q2ksQs

For a cool guild keep siege video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZHsfa6gEs

boosh5

Banned
This has probably been answered, but I'm at work and nearly everything is blocked.

If I buy from Amazon and get the headstart code, but use free shipping (meaning the package will probably arrive much later than the 28th), will I get to continue playing until the game shows up at my house or will my access stop as soon as the 3 day headstart is over?

Also, does anyone know if newegg is sending out headstart codes? That $15 off is tempting.

Ricker

Great OT,looking forward to finally play my Sylvari Mesmer...or Charr Engineer... or Norn Thief for realz ;) ...as you can see I still can't decide but at least I am down to 3 ;)

Ezio

This has probably been answered, but I'm at work and nearly everything is blocked.

If I buy from Amazon and get the headstart code, but use free shipping (meaning the package will probably arrive much later than the 28th), will I get to continue playing until the game shows up at my house or will my access stop as soon as the 3 day headstart is over?

I'm going to assume that you'll need the full retail key once the head start is over.

Retro

There absolutely are rare mobs, and everyone gets loot from them. One nice feature is that mobs grant bonus XP the longer they've been alive. So going off the beaten path and finding a rare mob nobody has killed in a while gives a ton of bonus XP too.

As far as WvW, because it is self-contained in its own game mode and maps, you're never going to have a situation like open world PVP in WoW (ganking, griefing, people flying off, etc.). Because you're matched with a new server every 2 weeks (later, at launch the servers will rotate daily... or every 12 hours, I'm pretty sure it's daily though) so you're never in a situation where you're facing the same people and the same strategies over and over again.

You're much more likely to get tired of PVE than WvW, since WvW's human opponents are much more likely to surprise.

I haven't bought guild wars 2 yet or anything but I logged into the Guild Wars 2 account with my old GW1 info and my username is a bunch of letters and numbers. Is that normal?

That doesn't sound right, you might want to contact customer support.

You'll have a few days from launch to enter the serial code to register your copy, otherwise it will just lock you out. They have said they will provide enough leeway for people to get their copies sorted out. Your best bet, however, is to just buy directly from ArenaNet and not even bother with a box.

Lren

Great looking OT!

Looking forward to the stress-test to scratch the itch, just enough so I can get through till Saturday. xD Can't wait!

Raxious

Audίoboxer;41250482 said:
This is a very good point that slipped my mind, Gandara here I come! Was going to roll on Stormbluff until my brain remembered this crucial point.

I thought about the same thing, but the BETA showed me that even during those times there were plenty of ppl online, PvP was always full etc.

datamage

Heh, who do you think wrote the awesome OT? That particular link is at the bottom of the post too, but always nice to see it passed around.

That makes sense, it seemed really familiar. Was a great read.

Retro said:
You're still stronger than the average player by virtue of gear quality, traits and upgrade items. You're just not at full high-level capacity. Part of the problem with going back to old zones in MMOs without this feature is that you literally stomp everything in your sight. I can remember doing old content and just pulling entire dungeons and AOEing them down. I guess that sense of power is fun for some people, but I'd rather experience the content at a rough equivalent to the way it was intended.

I get it, I just prefer to be able to go back, take my revenge, and give that Hill Giant a whooping after rising in power. I would have preferred if they handled it like in EQ2, where there's a mentoring system. I'll see how it plays out. Of all the things I've read, this is the only thing that stands out for me, so that's actually a good thing. (Usually the list is much longer.)

Retro

Remember to follow GAFGuild's exploits via Twitter, @GAFGuild. Updates on the stress test and such will be posted as they happen.

I get it, I just prefer to be able to go back, take my revenge, and give that Hill Giant a whooping after rising in power. I would have preferred if they handled it like in EQ2, where there's a mentoring system. I'll see how it plays out. Of all the things I've read, this is the only thing that stands out for me, so that's actually a good thing. (Usually the list is much longer.)

Yeah, I know how great that feels, but on the other hand I also know what it's like to go help a low-level friend out. Yeah, stomping lowbie content is fun at first, but when you're helping someone out for a few hours it gets boring after a while. It also doesn't teach them how to play the game properly since you're doing all of the work. It also tends to be obnoxious for everyone around you (at least, in other MMOs, where you had mob tagging at such). Personally, I always hated out-leveling content, because going back and doing it at a higher level then you're meant to be means you don't get to experience the challenge the developers intended. There's no thrills when you're a Demigod.

Boogdud

Skip it.

Going by his link, it looks like KiteGr bought the 2012 edition of the naga, which doesn't use legacy drivers. It uses the new Razer "synapse 2.0" software. Which is a horrible disaster IMO. "Cloud based" profile storage... basically online-only drm for your mouse. Your profiles/key binds/settings are stored on Razer's servers and not on your computer. You need to be logged in to retrieve your settings, if you log out, it caches them on your computer, until you restart and then you lose all of your settings/profiles until you log back into their servers all over again.

What the hell they were thinking, I don't know. Also, you can't use legacy drivers on the mouse so you can save your own profiles to your computer or on-board memory on the mouse, it's synapse 2.0 only.

So if you want to remap the keys to anything besides the defaults, you have to use their garbage software. I'm hoping the negative backlash they're getting from their users changes their mind about this terrible software, but it seems they've invested a lot in this cloud based garbage and ALL future Razer products are going to be 'synapse' only.

BrettWeir

I'm thinking about getting this mouse:

For GW2. Any impressions? The Razer Nagas look nice, but I'm afraid I won't hit the right button with all of them close together like that.

Look at the g600/g700? I adore my g700. No experience with the mouse you posted. Sorry. But smart in thinking Logitech.

Ezio

So with the mass amount of people expected to be playing this. How do you all think the servers will handle it?

Going by his link, it looks like KiteGr bought the 2012 edition of the naga, which doesn't use legacy drivers. It uses the new Razer "synapse 2.0" software. Which is a horrible disaster IMO. "Cloud based" profile storage... basically online-only drm for your mouse. Your profiles/key binds/settings are stored on Razer's servers and not on your computer. You need to be logged in to retrieve your settings, if you log out, it caches them on your computer, until you restart and then you lose all of your settings/profiles until you log back into their servers all over again.

What the hell they were thinking, I don't know. Also, you can't use legacy drivers on the mouse so you can save your own profiles to your computer or on-board memory on the mouse, it's synapse 2.0 only.

So if you want to remap the keys to anything besides the defaults, you have to use their garbage software. I'm hoping the negative backlash they're getting from their users changes their mind about this terrible software, but it seems they've invested a lot in this cloud based garbage and ALL future Razer products are going to be 'synapse' only.

Wow. Yeah, I'm definitely not using that. What a terrible idea.

Boogdud

I'm thinking about getting this mouse:

For GW2. Any impressions? The Razer Nagas look nice, but I'm afraid I won't hit the right button with all of them close together like that.

I have a couple of them. They're great if you're a claw grip type person. Mainly because the mouse is very small and very light. It takes some time to get used to the buttons being on the top rather than the sides, and it's ambidextrous so it feels a little odd at first.

Most people with larger hands have a terrible time with the g300 just from it's small size (cramping up, etc.).

But I think it's a great mouse. Small, light, 7 programmable buttons, rubber grips on the sides, uses the LGS software, and it's cheap. I think I bought a couple at best buy for like $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom