• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

(Sorry for the double post)

(Assuming you have access to the 3-day headstart, and if you don't, why not?)

Useful Info
Want some info? Read the kickass OT! Oh wait, YOU ARE!
Guild Wars 2 Status: http://gw2status.com/
GAFGuild's website: http://www.gafguild.com
GAF Server Selection: Stormbluff Isle (US) / Gandara (EU)
Be sure to follow us on Twitter, @GAFGuild

Stress Test TODAY at Noon PDT / 3pm EDT!

GAFGuild Mega-Awesome Pre-Launch Super-Countdown Festival of Hype Mumble Meet & Greet Event!
Here's another opportunity for everyone to hop on Mumble and get to know their future guildmates before launch. Even if you don't have a microphone, you can still participate since Mumble has a chat window. If you don't want to speak up, that's fine too; talking is not mandatory and you're welcome to just log in and listen (keep the creepy stalker breathing to a minimum though).

The event will begin on Friday, August 25th at Midnight (9PM on the 24th Pacific, 4am GMT) and run for 3 hours. At this point, the game launches and everyone officially has license to freak out. This event is strictly B.Y.O.K (Bring Your Own Kool-Aid). Please note that ArenaNet has stated they may start the game up to 3 hours early, so you might as well get on mumble and spam the Login button with the rest of us.

Mumble Info:
(Quote post for info)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I can't wait for the launch just so I don't have to see retro's countdown. lol

j-wood

I prepurchased the game from gamestop yesterday and already put in my code for the headstart/hero band by linking it to my GW1 account.

Will I be able to log in today for the stress test? Anything else I need to do in order to be able to do that?

Retro

what's the link to the stats page on gw2guru? Just out of curiosity

For server population? http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/32389-world-choice-guilds-and-communities/, but it's woefully outdated (SA is on Maguuma, we're on Stormbluff, etc.)
There's also http://www.gw2guilds.org/

What are (will be) the highest populated servers anyway? Anyone know

I'm pretty sure Sea of Sorrows and Yak's Bend are going to be up there. Isle of Janthir will be high because of Reddit (assuming that's still where they're planning to go, that is)

I can't wait for the launch just so I don't have to see retro's countdown. lol
ghUiq.gif

Will I be able to log in today for the stress test? Anything else I need to do in order to be able to do that?

Yes.

I prepurchased the game from gamestop yesterday and already put in my code for the headstart/hero band by linking it to my GW1 account.

I don't think so. I think they said that the codes purchased recently don't have access to the headstart nor do they have access to the stress test. You might as well give it a try though.

Edit: Oh wait I'm not familiar with that link with GW1 you did so its possible.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Missed this earlier but great work guys. Really impressive.
So close to the game's release!

Love that it focuses on useful info. rather than bloat.

Retro

Nice, I'll take it!

Don't forget to register at GAFGuild.com.

I don't think so. I think they said that the codes purchased recently don't have access to the headstart nor do they have access to the stress test. You might as well give it a try though. Oh wait I'm not familiar with that link with GW1 you did so its possible.

He should be able to, I've heard a few retailers are out of codes, but gamestop hasn't been one of them as far as I know.

Purchased mine last week, I'm still in right?!

Yeah, you should be fine.

What groups are playing there, do you know? Also, what about crystal desert? Every time I looked at server selection screen it was full.

The Server select screen isn't very accurate, especially during stress tests. From what sources we have, Sea of Sorrows was the SA server and a lot of people followed them. They may not leave, or the lists just haven't been updated.
Yak's Bend has a goofy-sounding name and 60 guilds, some of them large.
Dunno about Crystal Desert, seems to have a ton of guilds too.

anyone knows if the game gonna have vampires, ghosts and werewolves?

No, Yes, Sorta (Norn can take on animal forms and one is a wolf).

What about pandas?

FeItY.gif

it's pretty quiet on mumble

Make sure you're in one of the chat rooms (Lovenasiums) where people congregate and not just in the main lobby where people don't.
I've been on all day, just been me and Computer, with a brief visit from Jack_AG and Lump.

OK, guys, I have to say, the OT is a work of art. My sincerest congratulations to you all. :)

If this is an indicator of the level of teamwork and effort from our officers, we're in for a hell of a ride!

Whoa, that's one piece of lore I didn't know about. I did know they were half-extinct, but not about the petrification ritual.

Such a great day, OT is up, OT is awesome, and look what just arrived in the mail (taken with crappy camera at work). :D

Optimus approves of this delivery.

Is that Fall of Cybertron Optimus? That's particularly appropriate today, then, isn't it? :D

An Avatar (and specifically Iroh) and Transformers fan, we're going to get along just fine. :)

Excellent job Jira, love the art!

Finally i can post this, 20 hours in Photoshop finally paying off and finally we are here, after so many years:

Whoa, amazing work. Do you work at Pixar or something? :D

Fun forever? Let's be real here, did you guys even play Guild Wars?

I played Guild Wars 1, it didn't click with me.
I played Street Fighter 1, it didn't click with me.
Not seeing your point here.

Silly question but in WvWvW/sPvP you are lvl 80 from the start right? So is all your gear/abilities and so on maxed out or do you have to do PVE and so on?
[...]
Oh neat, so when you are doing 3W your toon is leveling up on the PVE side of things? That's awesome. What about the gear you are wearing in 3W? Is it the same as PVE you are wearing? Sorry for the silly questions but I only was able to get in 3W briefly during bwe1.

OK, this is a bit complicated, so I guess it warrants a bit more in-depth explanation.

When you go to WvW, you're upleveled to level 80. NO other changes are performed on your character. This means that your skills, your equipment, your runes, etc. are all the same (with stats adjusted for level) as those you have in PvE. Additionally, playing WvW offers you the same rewards as PvE, in the form of money, karma, experience, and drops (which, by the way, conveniently appear as bags at your feet, so that you don't have to drop down the fort wall you're defending into the sea of invaders to pick the shinies :p).

When you go to sPvP, you're given an entirely different, separate character template to customize as you want. You're also given all abilities to choose from (except racials, which are banned in sPvP for balance reasons), all trait points, and a set of equipment specific for PvP that you can't use elsewhere (this includes armor, weapons and runes). For all intents and purposes it's like having an entirely different character for PvP (even the dye patterns can be entirely different). In PvP, you earn points that you spend towards PvP equipment (which differ only cosmetically and/or in stat reallocation, i.e. they're never "more powerful"), and you can also buy as many runes as you want for free to customize your equipment. You can also respec for free as much as you want.

You also get a playground to test all of that, with respawning enemy NPCs of various kinds to practice on (invulnerable ones, vulnerable but static ones, aggressive ones, underwater ones, even one specifically to practice dodge...), practice siege weapons, and some more stuff.

I hope this clears any doubts, but feel free to ask if it doesn't! :)

Since I was away the last BWE, how's the performance and optimalization so far?
The first BWE I played, I had some trouble with framedrops and generally had to turn
lots of details down which was sad since the game is really beautiful.

The last BWE was better than the first, but the real, dramatic improvement came later, with the stress tests. I went from having 25FPS to 55!

The only thing I've read that I don't think I like, is the auto-scaling when you return to a previous zone. I understand why they did it, but it kind of eliminates that whole gain in power and going back to wreck an enemy that used to give you a difficult time.

In exchange to that, rather than 2-3 zones available to you when you're level 80, you get ALL of them. You never have to worry about overleveling content. Instead of 2-3 dungeons at cap level, you get 8-10 (at launch). You can help that level 15 buddy of yours without turning his experience into "loot the bodies in my wake".

I'd say it's a pretty good tradeoff. :D

For even more hilarity, the normal and deluxe edition are counted separately... and are still at the 1st and 3rd place, respectively. :D

So I take it there aren't any rare mobs/etc where this would end up being a huge negative..?

Why would it be a negative in the case of rare mobs? Loot drops for everyone (as in, the mob drops a separate copy of whatever it has, for each player); I'm afraid I don't follow.

nataku

Can't wait.

I really need to work on my HoM some. 10/30 and I can't bring myself to log in to unlock the hero's I need to farm some coin. I really hope the prices of things don't go up too much after GW2 is released. :(

Anyone know how long the Wayfarer's Reverie takes to complete in GW1? At the very least I need to do that soon for the easy HoM weapon.

Complistic

Will the digital version on Anets site go down in price when there's no longer a prepurchase incentive?

If it's like the original games/campaigns they won't go down in price for a very long time. Because there's no subscription, they really do need to keep that initial investment higher that other games.

I was also wondering whether they'll have some "drag another poor soul to the MMO hell with you, and we'll give you a pet/whatever", like in WoW. Mostly because I'm debating if buying another copy for my GF (we don't have two GW2-able computers, but she could play on mine while I work), or waiting for such a thing (and just buying a couple character slots more for my account for the time being).

By the way, I'm probably going to buy some gems to get 2-4 character slots at launch. I can spend those in the stress test and they'll be refunded, right? I was considering buying some minis. :)

Reknoc

If it's like the original games/campaigns they won't go down in price for a very long time. Because there's no subscription, they really do need to keep that initial investment higher that other games.

True, but the original game wasn't £50 for a standard digital edition.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fantastic OT for a fantastic game. My body is
Ready. See you on the other side guys.

Wow, so many new people on this thread. There were more GW2 fans on GAF than initially seen.
Has Tekno complained about something yet?

Kimaka

Wake up to an awesome OT and a stress test. Nice job.

I hope in this stress test Anet has fixed the crashing when you try to create a character. I want to try to get my Charr's appearance finalized.

Jira

Wake up to an awesome OT and a stress test. Nice job.

I hope in this stress test Anet has fixed the crashing when you try to create a character. I want to try to get my Charr's appearance finalized.

A friend of mine had that same issue, though I didn't and a friend of mine didn't either.

I'd suggest running a repair.

Go to your game shortcut and add -repair to the end. It would look like this:

"C:\GW2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom