• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a good Super Adventure guide for a person who has not done world 1 but wants to try and get all the achievements solo?

I saw the Dulfy guide, but was wondering if there is another one. More detailed perhaps.

Katoki

What are the easiest jump puzzles for the monthly?

Here's a list of the ones that I think are easiest. This is subjective but I've taken into account any annoying creatures that may attack you on the way/during the JP. These ones are short and sweet:

Shaman's Rookery @ Wayfarer Foothills
Pig Iron Quarry @ Fireheart Rise
Vizier's Tower @ Straits of Devastation
Scavenger's Chasm @ Malchor's Leap
King Jalis' Refuge @ Snowden Drifts

These are still short but have stuff in the way in some form:

Fawcett's Bounty @ Harathi Hinterlands - YMMV. Gotta run through Fawcett's crew then deal with not missing the beams between jumps.
Branded Mine @ Fields of Ruin - Balance beams.
Demongrub Pits @ Queensdale - Bunch of ooze at the end though. At least one vet and one silver or something.
Buried Archives @ Cursed Shore - Those risen eagles on the way up.. too many.

Can't think of any other ones off the top of my head that're quick.

Ceres

Banned
I guess since our matchup is so lopsided its a good week to test the new BL map without having to worry about getting rolled over.

Levyne

Banned
Morgan's Spiral and Spekk's Lab in Caledon are both easy.

There's also 3 in Diessa and none are hard. Crimson Plateau, Grendich Gamble,Wall Breach Blitz.

Under New Managment at Pearl Islet in Southsun.

Might be shorter to list the jumping puzzles I'd rather not do.

Retro

Preview is up: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/september-17-2013/

Tequatl Rising:
It has been gathering power in the depths.
It is faster, stronger, deadlier.
It has returned to devour and destroy.
It is called Tequatl the Sunless… and it has evolved.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W88hjgWI3QM

The Dragon Tequatl – Redefined!
Something’s gotten into Tequatl the Sunless. This ancient dragon, scourge of the Splintered Coast, has become more formidable than ever, with an arsenal of new attacks and lethal tricks at its disposal. To stop this rampaging beast, you’ll join forces with old friends and new allies in a desperate battle where failure is a very real option. Tequatl has risen – and it will take an army of players to bring it down!

Developer Livestream – September 20
Dive deeper into the Tequatl Rising release with ArenaNet devs during the preview livestream on our Twitch channel on Friday, September 20 at 12PM PDT.

Features:
“Looking For Group” Tool
We’ve added a new system to help players find others to join in on their adventures. Using our new looking for group system, you’ll be able to select the type of content you’d like to do and add in a custom description about the group you’re trying to form. Use the system alone or with friends to easily fill out your party!

New Ruins of Power in World vs. World
Big changes are coming to the eternal war in The Mists! Each borderland map in WvW has been redesigned to include five new Ruins of Power—capture points that armies can battle over in order to earn lethal Bloodlust boosts for everyone on their server!

Bosses – Updated!
We’ve adjusted all of our bosses to make them more challenging and fun! From the Megadestroyer to Golem Mark II to the Fire Elemental, bosses in Tyria are more dangerous than ever!

New WvW Ability: Flame Ram Mastery
Prepare to knock some gates down and set stuff on fire! Become tougher and more effective in those heated siege situations by earning ranks in the new Flame Ram Mastery ability!

Rewards:
Wings of the Sunless
Earn this ominous new animated back item by waging war against Tequatl the Sunless!
9490bwings-2cisru.jpg

"We've adjusted all of our bosses"...? Probably not dramatic changes like Taco, but having them all get an update is quite unexpected.

Bosses – Updated!
We’ve adjusted all of our bosses to make them more challenging and fun! From the Megadestroyer to Golem Mark II to the Fire Elemental, bosses in Tyria are more dangerous than ever!

About time lol.

I really like this surprise.

Looks like a World Boss Train might be in our future.

Lunar15

Wait, what does this mean?

I wonder what the changes are? Also I think it's kind of funny that they called out Megadestroyer. They know he gets no love.

Also, it doesn't seem that they've tied the update to any story, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'd rather them not try at all than try halfheartedly.

Also, it doesn't seem that they've tied the update to any story, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I'd rather them not try at all than try halfheartedly.

What about this part?
..you’ll join forces with old friends and new allies in a desperate battle where failure is a very real option.

Feel like this might mean that we are joining up with old allies, from PS or LS to maybe figure out how he got so strong or discover that something has changed in Sparkfly then when we get there we find out that Taco is much stronger. Hope that line alludes to NPC allies and not ingame friends or guildies just because I want more story.

Retro

Jira and I discussed it and we both agree that the logo they're using for this update is very reminiscent of old monster movie posters, which may or may not be someone at ArenaNet poking fun at the "Monster of the Week" comments.

With the rapid fire update cycle ArenaNet has, I've kinda been hoping they will use that flexibility to try out some crazy thematic approaches to content that other MMOs (hell, other games) just can't accomplish with their stunted patch cycles. We got a hint of that with the Sky Pirates update; Marjory's stuff was very film noir / hard-boiled in style. Super Adventure Box is loaded with old gaming references, and it felt like the Bazaar was just a few hints away from being a high-wire Kung-Fu homage (or was I the only one flying through the air between bamboo poles?).

I'd love it if one dragon update had little classic monster / horror movie references peppered throughout. Of course, it diminishes the seriousness of it, but they can still work in things like clever achievement titles, have the trailer all grainy with bad dubbing and technicolor hues.

/shrug

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About time lol.
kind of funny that they called out Megadestroyer. They know he gets no love.
If it's worthwhile now I claim personal responsibility for annoying colin about it so much :p

I don't get it though. It doesn't say anything about rewards being altered; the description just indicates difficulty alterations (challenging, fun, dangerous).

Golem and Fire Elemental are both way too easy but their rewards are fine.
Megadestroyer is already fun and challenging, but not adequately rewarding.

So...??

I am down for a World Boss train sometime next week. If nothing else I bet the tougher ones will give out more Dragonite Ore after this.

cool, now people can annoy others again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88YxiQ5e-4&
That's... kind of awesome. Could give our missions a dramatic soundtrack

What are the easiest jump puzzles for the monthly?
I think all 3 in Lion's Arch are rather easy
Does anyone have a good Super Adventure guide for a person who has not done world 1 but wants to try and get all the achievements solo?

I saw the Dulfy guide, but was wondering if there is another one. More detailed perhaps.
Did you see the video guides? Can't get more detailed than that really o.o

Jira and I discussed it and we both agree that the logo they're using for this update is very reminiscent of old monster movie posters, which may or may not be someone at ArenaNet poking fun at the "Monster of the Week" comments.

With the rapid fire update cycle ArenaNet has, I've kinda been hoping they will use that flexibility to try out some crazy thematic approaches to content that other MMOs (hell, other games) just can't accomplish with their stunted patch cycles. We got a hint of that with the Sky Pirates update; Marjory's stuff was very film noir / hard-boiled in style. Super Adventure Box is loaded with old gaming references, and it felt like the Bazaar was just a few hints away from being a high-wire Kung-Fu homage (or was I the only one flying through the air between bamboo poles?).

I'd love it if one dragon update had little classic monster / horror movie references peppered throughout. Of course, it diminishes the seriousness of it, but they can still work in things like clever achievement titles, have the trailer all grainy with bad dubbing and technicolor hues.

/shrug

Why must everything have be retro styled?

Lunar15

What about this part?

Feel like this might mean that we are joining up with old allies, from PS or LS to maybe figure out how he got so strong or discover that something has changed in Sparkfly then when we get there we find out that Taco is much stronger. Hope that line alludes to NPC allies and not ingame friends or guildies just because I want more story.

Experience with this game has taught me not to look into stuff like that too much. If anything they're just referring to the fact that it will take a lot of people to take it down. They could always throw some Asura we know from a previous update near the megalaser to explain some stuff.

Also, I'm really happy about the increase in difficulty to world bosses. It has to be done if they're going to roll out major updates like the Tequatl Revamp. If the other world bosses are just easy loot, it makes more sense for people to do 5 of those instead of spending the time trying to beat Tequatl, which looks pretty tough itself. If the world bosses have a chance of failing, then it causes players to question where they spend their time, which is a good thing. But the key is doing it all at once, or else everything will get unbalanced. So, good on them for that.

Retro

Scarlet found Zhaitan's body, absorbed all of his power and took control of the Risen. She has forced all of her armies together to form the Watchwork Half-Undead Aethermolten-Alliance Team, or WHUAAT. They are going to start their attack in Sparkfly, for reasons... featuring guest writer Chris Metzen.

Why must everything have be retro styled?

It doesn't, but big monsters smashing stuff fits that particular theme. If they had the Risen return in a major update, having them go all Zombie Movie would be fitting, right? If they added a new dungeon in some jungle ruins, referencing old adventure movies in the way Indiana Jones does would be fitting. Not in game, of course, but thematically on the update page, in the achievements and gem shop (they could make a mint selling fedoras, right Ash?), things like that.

Besides, what are they going to pay homage to that's fairly recent? Zojja's Twerking Experiment gone wrong? Destiny's Edge reforms as costumed superheroes? Rytlock Brimstone's wait for the new Super Adventure Boxes that barely pass for year old PCs? Things happening now are boring or stupid... or both.

Scarlet found Zhaitan's body, absorbed all of his power and took control of the Risen. She has forced all of her armies together to form the Watchwork Half-Undead Aethermolten-Alliance Team, or WHUAAT. They are going to start their attack in Sparkfly, for reasons... featuring guest writer Chris Metzen.

It doesn't, but big monsters smashing stuff fits that particular theme.

Besides, what are they going to pay homage to that's fairly recent? Zojja's Twerking Experiment gone wrong? Destiny's Edge reforms as costumed superheroes? Rytlock Brimstone's wait for the new Super Adventure Boxes that barely pass for year old PCs? Things happening now are boring or stupid... or both.

Pay homage to nothing in the real world.

Lunar15

Well, the Queen's Speech sure took a lot from The Dark Knight. A little too much, if you ask me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I expect some light story about Tequatl probably delivered mostly through NPC text.
Lunar15 said:
If the other world bosses are just easy loot, it makes more sense for people to do 5 of those instead of spending the time trying to beat Tequatl, which looks pretty tough itself. If the world bosses have a chance of failing, then it causes players to question where they spend their time, which is a good thing.
Well, Tequatl will employ the same completion threshold rewards as the Scarlet invasions, which pretty consistently draw players, and Teq's fight takes less time. Even failing an invasion is rather lucrative in comparison to the standard world bosses.
But the key is doing it all at once, or else everything will get unbalanced. So, good on them for that.
I just don't understand, really... since there's no mention of reworked rewards. Fire Ele and Golem just need an outright difficulty increase, sure- and people will continue doing them because they're already familiar and will get used to the new stuff.

Megadestroyer though is obscure to begin with and if they just made him harder without adjusting the outcome for time spent, even fewer people will pay him the time of day. I'm hoping this is the update that finally redeems him, but not getting my hopes up.
So..... teq tonight?
Just to say goodbye, or what?

Retro

Pay homage to nothing in the real world.

I think you're assuming I want there to be guys in rubber suits dancing around Lion's Arch for the Taco update, or people speaking broken english with bad dubbing during the fight. I mean their update pages and ancillary materials having fun themes. Super Adventure Box's releases page looks like an old EGM advertisement. Shadow of the Mad King's trailer and art design was very Tim Burton-esque. They mail out real dragon pinatas to the press for Dragon Bash. Those are all cool, fun things that they do, and I like stuff like that.

That doesn't mean it necessarily needs to spill into the game. I'm just saying with the bi-weekly update schedule they have room to do stuff that's a little off-beat. Imagine an update page that, instead of a list of features, was written as a graphic novel, or a first-person narration in the form of a journal or something. A Wintersday update page that borrows heavily from The Grinch (the Mad King trailer sort of had this vibe, with its spooky poem).

I'm just saying there's room to play with themes for each update, whether in-game or not.

Lunar15

A few people on Reddit are worried that Tequatl will be too hard and end up like the Karka Queen, which is now only tackled by "hardcore guilds".

Congrats, GAF. We're a hardcore guild.

Also, I hope one day they just revamp Megadestroyer into a full fledged lieutenant of Primordus. His previous lieutenant, as described in Edge of Destiny, was like some kind of crazy giant praying mantis cyclops thing, so lieutenants aren't simply limited to being Dragons. Either way, if Primordus was going to have a new Lieutenant, Mount Malestrom is where he'd probably show up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A week from today!

I think the ol' Box will be staying around until the end of the month too.
A few people on Reddit are worried that Tequatl will be too hard and end up like the Karka Queen, which is now only tackled by "hardcore guilds".

Ha. Congrats everybody

Seriously though, the Karka Queen has been working kind of fantastically since this update. A small group (most recent time Ash and I set out with four) can get it going and start the camp captures, then when all four are held the event pops on gw2stuff and the masses start streaming in. There's an element of randomness to the egg drop frequency but generally people seem to know the fight well and we finished with minutes to spare the last two times I did it. Got me one of those settler's inscriptions too.
Also, I hope one day they just revamp Megadestroyer into a full fledged lieutenant of Primordus. His previous lieutenant, as described in Edge of Destiny, was like some kind of crazy giant praying mantis cyclops thing, so lieutenants aren't simply limited to being Dragons. Either way, if Primordus was going to have a new Lieutenant, Mount Malestrom is where he'd probably show up.
Wasn't the Great Destroyer the lieutenant you're referring to?

Lunar15

Pie in the sky thinking here, and I have no expectations for it happening, but you know what might be a cool idea? Two-team dungeons.

Imagine if there was a dungeon where two teams could enter at once, and the puzzles/bosses were built around splitting up into two teams. They've already implemented a similar design with the Guild Puzzles.

Also, a full fledged "guild dungeon", as in a longer, more combat focused guild puzzle might not be a bad idea either, but I have a feeling a very small percentage of their population is actually able to participate in guild puzzles, so it's understandable if they wouldn't want to focus on that stuff.

Either way, I just want more large team puzzle content. Guild Puzzles and Challenges are some of my favorite content in the game by far.

I think you're assuming I want there to be guys in rubber suits dancing around Lion's Arch for the Taco update, or people speaking broken english with bad dubbing during the fight. I mean their update pages and ancillary materials having fun themes. Super Adventure Box's releases page looks like an old EGM advertisement. Shadow of the Mad King's trailer and art design was very Tim Burton-esque. They mail out real dragon pinatas to the press for Dragon Bash. Those are all cool, fun things that they do, and I like stuff like that.

That doesn't mean it necessarily needs to spill into the game. I'm just saying with the bi-weekly update schedule they have room to do stuff that's a little off-beat. Imagine an update page that, instead of a list of features, was written as a graphic novel, or a first-person narration in the form of a journal or something. A Wintersday update page that borrows heavily from The Grinch (the Mad King trailer sort of had this vibe, with its spooky poem).

I'm just saying there's room to play with themes for each update, whether in-game or not.

This idea I like very much. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Pie in the sky thinking here, and I have no expectations for it happening, but you know what might be a cool idea? Two-team dungeons.

Imagine if there was a dungeon where two teams could enter at once, and the puzzles/bosses were built around splitting up into two teams. They've already implemented a similar design with the Guild Puzzles.

Also, a full fledged "guild dungeon", as in a longer, more combat focused guild puzzle might not be a bad idea either, but I have a feeling a very small percentage of their population is actually able to participate in guild puzzles, so it's understandable if they wouldn't want to focus on that stuff.

Either way, I just want more large team puzzle content. Guild Puzzles and Challenges are some of my favorite content in the game by far.

That idea reminds me of The Deep Alliance Mission in Guild Wars 1, were you entered with 12 people but got split into 3 random groups of 4 for the portion of the mission. I don't think I ever got the chance to complete it but I did try it a few times.

I don't think redditors should worry. I think new Taco will actually be announced somehow to all the player base as soon as he is active, and just like the invasion everyone will flock to Sparkfly.

nataku

My hope was eventually they'd update all world bosses like they did Taco, but I'm not sure they will now. I'm sure they'll buff the other dragons, but I guess I'll have to see just how much harder the other bosses they updated are.

Taffer

I think new Taco will actually be announced somehow to all the player base as soon as he is active, and just like the invasion everyone will flock to Sparkfly.

I think this was mentioned, complete with the ten-minute overflow mechanic from the invasions.

Asd202

My hope was eventually they'd update all world bosses like they did Taco, but I'm not sure they will now. I'm sure they'll buff the other dragons, but I guess I'll have to see just how much harder the other bosses they updated are.

IMO there waiting to see how this new Tequ plays out. If it's successful then we can expect more such updates to bosses.

Lunar15

Updates to world boss difficulty are wonderful, but make no mistake: I think Dragon Lieutenants should definitely be some of the hardest pieces of group content in the game, thematically speaking. Even if they aren't tying Teq to the living story, I'm ok with that because now he fits with the image of the imposing, menacing monster Anet always intended him to be. It improves the "overall" lore of the existing world.

Levyne

Banned
I hope they figure out how to deal with the huge fucking masses of people doing the events. Melandru yesterday was just terribly unfun watching a swarm of 30000 names move side to side on the platform during the defense parking at the champ spiders, and then the gorillas, and back, and back, and back like a bunch of lemmings. The invasions COULD have been a step in the right direction if the completion rewards for the event were greater and the Aetherblade events were tweaked so that zerging truly did hinder personal gain instead of being rewarding. Hopefully Tequaltl will be redemption.

I was so soured that I just bolted to WvW, which might seem counter intuitive since it probably sees the most "zerg wars" criticism out of anything, but Fiddle and Aleman had to split the eb group into two forces to deal with the mass of people there and prevent IOJ and NSP from simply parking their entire force at the one point we were trying to take. It worked fairly well, and Lump (dunno if he reads this thread but I hope he does) ended up saving a golem from a failed Keep push and we ninja'd a tower with it with 3 people as the two EB masses did their thing. A small thing, yes, but entertaining and rewarding. Hopefully we are allowed to maintain a more flexible type of map coverage and aren't immediately required to mass MORE BODIES in one place if we have to fight tougher servers.

(Aside: NSP actually brought it yesterday relative to the weekend. They were mass defending their towers and building siege everywhere. Camps, hills. While IOJ ran most of the time. But then they went to bed around 1:00 eastern and we cleared their corner.)

Hopefully the Tequatl mechanics are a step forward into making the events engaging for many many many people and not just a place to clock in time, tab, target, fire, collect, and move on like so many of the events are..

Retro

Awesome! Time for a new, Hardcore Guild Policy!
  • - We will only allow 20 people to attend guild missions from now on, which will be run every day from 6PM until 2AM.
    • Failure to attend missions, for the full duration, means you are off the mission team.
    • You will have to fight each other for these coveted slots, but obviously kissing officer ass helps. A lot.
  • - We now have 27 ranks within the guild, from "Pleb" to "Grand Dragon Master Supreme Pizza Lord." Movement between ranks is based entirely on how much a given officer likes you.
  • - We will now be using DKP to determine who gets what loot. If you get a rare or exotic, you are expected to link it in Guild Chat and mail it to whoever spends their DKP. Unless you're the GM's buddy... or a prospective girlfriend... or threaten to quit after securing the role of Main Tank. Also, we will add or subtract your DKP as we like, so stay on our good side. Getting kicked into whelp groups is an automatic minus 50 DKP.
    • Yes, I know GW2 doesn't have tanking, but in the interest of being hardcore we're going to have someone designated as Main Tank just because.
    • Since there aren't any Whelps in Guild Wars 2, we will be adding a 28th rank, "Whelp", which has no access, even to guild chat. The only way to be promoted is to show up for missions and stand around waiting for someone to get kicked into you.
  • - Everyone must buy the Guild Armor skin and display it at all times. We also ask that you restrict your dye schemes to NeoGAF colors: Orange, Grey and Black. Failure to show guild pride will result in immediate demotions.
  • - Gear must be linked before you can do anything with us, ever. You will also need to post screenshots of your traits so we can make sure you're playing with the optimal min/max theory-crafted build.
  • - You must link an achievement showing you've already completed the content you are about to complete to prove that you have completed it before you attempt to complete it.
  • - You will need to download 16 new addons that tell you exactly what to do, and when, because learning the content on your own is for scrubs and nubs.
  • - Fractals of the Mist will now be known as "Fractals" because "FotM" is reserved for whatever profession we expect you all to roll because it's the best right now.
  • - We are changing the name from "Gaming Age Force" to "Pretentious Latin Phrase", as that seems to be the thing to do when you're hardcore.

Also, I hope one day they just revamp Megadestroyer into a full fledged lieutenant of Primordus.

Hawkian's pants just got a little shorter.

I think the ol' Box will be staying around until the end of the month too.

That's usually how it works: First update stays around for a month, second update for two weeks, then something new starts.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I would LOVE a content mode similar to Phantasy Star Online's Challenge Mode. Basically it removed all of your gear, levels and stat boosts and dumped you into extra-difficult versions of the game's maps. Traps everywhere, puzzles that required groups to split up, enemies from the last dungeon appearing in the first, paired with enemies that make them even harder. On top of that, everyone had one 'life' (called a "Scape Doll") and if one person died, everyone failed. Oh, and it was timed too.

The catch is that the loot was incredible, but didn't exit outside of Challenge Mode. So when this super rare rifle dropped, it wasn't "GIVE ME, I WANT LOOTS", it was "Give that to the Ranger, we need his ranged support pumped up." Same with stat-boosting Materials; you'd give the defense one to the Hunter because he was the front-line fighter keeping everything occupied while the Forces nuke and the Rangers... erm... rangers didn't have that great a role... but you get the idea.

I seriously though Fractals would be like that; the idea of the mini-dungeons changing and getting harder sounds dead on, and having it exist as a separate type of dungeon meant you could bend the rules on gear and such. But, the SAB already shows they can kind of 'suspend' your characters' equipment and levels, and Tribulation mode shows they can take the same space and add difficulty to it. Down-leveling already makes your stats less of a factor, and gear doesn't really have the versatility it did in PSO... so I honestly think just having harder versions of dungeons that drive team work would be a step in the right direction. Maybe when the dungeon revamps are done, they can start adding new, harder paths through them.

This idea I like very much. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Nah, I don't think I explained it well, or clarified that I meant stuff external to the core content. I want the storytelling to get back to the semi-serious nature of Flame and Frost, and start doing big things in the world. But I like the idea that the update pages can vary wildly between themes in really interesting ways, and that the achievements can sort of be tongue-in-cheek and the cash shop items linked to that indirect theme. Swimsuits should have been in for Southsun, as should the school outfits for SAB. So even if the update is about something really serious, the materials around it don't have to be.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the greatest external bit ever: Rytlock's Critter Rampage. A real version of a fake game released for no reason other than "because"? Who else in gaming is doing that sort of thing?

I hope they figure out how to deal with the huge fucking masses of people doing the events. . . Hopefully the Tequatl mechanics are a step forward into making the events engaging for many many many people and not just a place to clock in time, tab, target, fire, collect, and move on like so many of the events are..

This post is already long, so I'm going to have to come back to this. But I agree whole-heartedly; the mechanics for Taco look like they'll force some people on turrets, some people on defense and some on offense, and that people will need to spread out and watch the batteries during the charging phase. More fights with multiple objectives is good, preferably ones that can't be clumped up on.

Lunar15

I hope they figure out how to deal with the huge fucking masses of people doing the events. Melandru yesterday was just terribly unfun watching a swarm of 30000 names move side to side on the platform during the defense parking at the champ spiders, and then the gorillas, and back, and back, and back like a bunch of lemmings. The invasions COULD have been a step in the right direction if the completion rewards for the event were greater and the Aetherblade events were tweaked so that zerging truly did hinder personal gain instead of being rewarding. Hopefully Tequaltl will be redemption.

I was so soured that I just bolted to WvW, which might seem counter intuitive since it probably sees the most "zerg wars" criticism out of anything, but Fiddle and Aleman had to split the eb group into two forces to deal with the mass of people there and prevent IOJ and NSP from simply parking their entire force at the one point we were trying to take. It worked fairly well, and Lump (dunno if he reads this thread but I hope he does) ended up saving a golem from a failed Keep push and we ninja'd a tower with it with 3 people as the two EB masses did their thing. A small thing, yes, but entertaining and rewarding. Hopefully we are allowed to maintain a more flexible type of map coverage and aren't immediately required to mass MORE BODIES in one place if we have to fight tougher servers.

(Aside: NSP actually brought it yesterday relative to the weekend. They were mass defending their towers and building siege everywhere. Camps, hills. While IOJ ran most of the time. But then they went to bed around 1:00 eastern and we cleared their corner.)

Hopefully the Tequatl mechanics are a step forward into making the events engaging for many many many people and not just a place to clock in time, tab, target, fire, collect, and move on like so many of the events are..

This man speaks truth. Honestly, Anet's struggled with making truly compelling open world stuff. I've enjoyed much of it, but usually it's a one-and-done in terms of getting a lot out of it.

Anet excels in instanced content and guild content. They shine when they know you have a team with communication, and push that to a challenging difficulty. Dungeons, Fractals, and Guild Events are all examples of things that GW2 does extraordinarily well.

Proven

Phantasy Star Online Challenge Mode was excellent because it was essentially a team rouge-like mode.

Also agree with Levyne, except mic problems have kept me from enjoying WvW too much anymore.

Retro

Phantasy Star Online Challenge Mode was excellent because it was essentially a team rouge-like mode.

What'd be really interesting is if they implemented "Challenge Dungeon" paths that took the existing layouts and made them much more difficulty; traps, harder enemies, more surprises (like the Troll in AC)... maybe not timed or on a single life, but with some kind of reward for completing things faster. What might be cool is a sort of "Score Mode" where it awards your team extra points for things like not dying, completing it in a shorter time period, or doing something special or unusual. That sort of feature breathed a lot of life into Halo 3 / ODST, and Smash Brothers uses a similar scoring pattern even though nobody uses it.

I also have always had a crazy idea that having profession-based exploration mechanics would be really cool. Basically your path through a dungeon would be determined by what professions you brought. A Thief can disarm traps, for example, while a warrior could force a door open, a guardian could illuminate a dark passage, and so on.

Never gonna happen though, since it would inevitably devolve into bringing a specific composition for the path of least resistance.

Proven

What'd be really interesting is if they implemented "Challenge Dungeon" paths that took the existing layouts and made them much more difficulty; traps, harder enemies, more surprises (like the Troll in AC)... maybe not timed or on a single life, but with some kind of reward for completing things faster. What might be cool is a sort of "Score Mode" where it awards your team extra points for things like not dying, completing it in a shorter time period, or doing something special or unusual. That sort of feature breathed a lot of life into Halo 3 / ODST, and Smash Brothers uses a similar scoring pattern even though nobody uses it.

I also have always had a crazy idea that having profession-based exploration mechanics would be really cool. Basically your path through a dungeon would be determined by what professions you brought. A Thief can disarm traps, for example, while a warrior could force a door open, a guardian could illuminate a dark passage, and so on.

Never gonna happen though, since it would inevitably devolve into bringing a specific composition for the path of least resistance.

Profession specific exploration skills would still be cool, if only because a lot of those same skills could be put to use in WvW. Once upon a time, the devs wished they had made up utility skills as useful for other classes as Portal was for Mesmer.

Having more organic (or randomly generated) dungeon paths and challenges would be awesome.

And ODST bringing in Firefight was the best thing that happened to me in Halo.

Ashodin

And I totally agree that with the Tequatl update that updating the bosses makes sense. If they're harder, you have to pick and choose now. Which will make the hardcore farming base rage.

Retro

Profession specific exploration skills would still be cool, if only because a lot of those same skills could be put to use in WvW. Once upon a time, the devs wished they had made up utility skills as useful for other classes as Portal was for Mesmer.

I'm one of those crazy people who thinks classes are too restrictive and should just be removed entirely, but one of the really big positives of that system is that roles are clearly defined and choices can be unique between classes (whereas a skill-based system has to keep everything open to everyone). So whenever I see a class-based game not really taking advantage of the few good things class-based systems offer, it irks me. GW2 isn't the worst offender here by far, but it still has a lot of overlap. Mesmer Portal is probably the most unique ability in GW2, which isn't a surprise since Mesmers themselves are a fairly unique class in gaming. If they could have had more stuff like that, it'd be incredible. Maybe we'll get it in the near future, everything in Colin's blogpost is basically done and it's only September; what's in store for next year?

Oooh, cool idea; an engineer would have to construct a bridge or something to get past a gap, leading to a sort of psuedo defense event where he needs to build while everyone protects him.

Having more organic (or randomly generated) dungeon paths and challenges would be awesome.

Stuff like the troll bursting out of the wall is cool for an event, but what if the opening he created led somewhere? Hawkian is always talking about a shark breaking into the glass hallways in CoE, but what if that flooded the passage and forced you to go through some secondary route? Within the existing paths, there could be variations ("AC1a", "SE2-2", what have you) that are randomly determined. Twilight Arbor already has you picking multiple paths through the dungeon. What if there was a cave in in Sorrow's Embrace and you suddenly had to choose between two alternative routes? There are already fractals that take different routes randomly (Underwater and Dredge, most notably).

Organic dungeon paths would be incredible; more variety without having to generate a ton of new assets (though, it being ArenaNet, I'm sure they would anyways).

And ODST bringing in Firefight was the best thing that happened to me in Halo.

A GAFer after my own heart. <3

ODST is the best Halo, full stop. For a series that has you fighting alien invaders, ODST is the only game that ever made me feel like I was fighting an alien invasion, in both single player and multi (which is important, damn it) The series' single player was best in CE, multiplayer was best in 2 post-update. It's been downhill since, with pretty sharp nosedives lately with Reach and H4. Halo 3 feels like the most complete package of the core games (it's single player isn't as bad as H2, it's multiplayer isn't as bad as the others), but ODST will always be where it's at.

Okay, that's enough Bungie Lovefest, at least until Destiny comes out (for PC, of course).

And I totally agree that with the Tequatl update that updating the bosses makes sense. If they're harder, you have to pick and choose now. Which will make the hardcore farming base rage.

I don't think "Harder" is the best answer, nor do I think that's all they're going to do with the update (and certainly not all they're going to do eventually). Stuff like Jormag doesn't need to be any harder, it just needs more interesting mechanics than "Stand here and shoot the wall" followed by "Stand here and shoot icicles". The phases take forever and they never do anything interesting. What'd be much cooler is if Claw did something like the Snowden Drifts guild Puzzle; during the fight, he creates ice barriers that form multiple paths to him (with enemies waiting inside, of course), through which you need to escort the golems to tear down his main barrier. While that's going on, people need to man turrets at the back to break down weak icicles that stand in your way. So three groups could be escorting, fighting enemies through the paths, while another group is on icicle duty. Add in some nasty enemies trying to take the camp to demolish the turrets and you've got another area that demands attention.

Beats the hell out of spamming 1 with a Charrzooka until the barrier drops.

Lunar15

525888036a38fec4c3ecf1be585a34fc.gif

As long as the difficulty spike doesn't mean "you will need a lot of players", because then having farmers ignore that stuff will suck for players that just want to fight a variety of bosses.

I won't go as far as Kos and a few others and just hate SAB, I just can't seem to get into it. I'll try once more this weekend, but so far it just isn't fun to me and feels disjointed from the rest of the game. So I'm excited for the new teq. Tougher world bosses sounds fun, that will help break some of the monotony I've been feeling towards the those. I think I'm going to try out WvW more, and try to get ready for the changes on that side.

Lunar15

I won't go as far as Kos and a few others and just hate SAB, I just can't seem to get into it. I'll try once more this weekend, but so far it just isn't fun to me and feels disjointed from the rest of the game. So I'm excited for the new teq. Tougher world bosses sounds fun, that will help break some of the monotony I've been feeling towards the those. I think I'm going to try out WvW more, and try to get ready for the changes on that side.

Hate's a strong word. Ambivalent is more like it. Just doesn't appeal, that's all.

I'm the same regarding the SAB. At first I did like it but, the more I played it the more the novelty wore off and now I just ignore it.

Of course I am also not a fan of jumping puzzles so I'm sure that plays into it some. In GW2 I consider them tolerable, which is more than most games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hope they figure out how to deal with the huge fucking masses of people doing the events. Melandru yesterday was just terribly unfun watching a swarm of 30000 names move side to side on the platform during the defense parking at the champ spiders, and then the gorillas, and back, and back, and back like a bunch of lemmings.
More surprised at that kind of mass at Melandru more than anything else, haven't seen that kind of population there in months! Sucks that it went past the point of being fun for you. Basically unrelated, but I've turned off friendly names at this point (they show up when I hold a button). More of my screen was being taken up by text than graphics in these situations O.O
The invasions COULD have been a step in the right direction if the completion rewards for the event were greater and the Aetherblade events were tweaked so that zerging truly did hinder personal gain instead of being rewarding. Hopefully Tequaltl will be redemption.
As far as the invasions, I think the completion rewards (especially considering the full success rewards as "completion," including killing Scarlet, as something to do once per play session) are actually quite good. The XP and salvage-luck alone for the content is extremely rewarding from my perspective. They also almost universally contribute in a number of ways to dailies, and the different subevents are modular enough that you really can make an impact as anything from a solo player to a nameplate in a massive zerg.

If there were no conflict between completion and maximizing pure profit for time spent, these really would be a big step in the right direction as you noted. What happened was the cross-contamination of two very closely-released and important content/reward updates:
  • Lucrative drop rewards from every champion
  • Large-scale events with threshold completion rewards, which scale up to multiple Champions facing large groups
The way it works right now is an annoying side effect, more than anything, of two things that weren't actually related by design. It was a mistake. Colin has been explicit that a fix is actually coming for this, but they needed time to implement it.

What I really hope this means is that they incorporate the way loot supposedly works in the Tequatl fight back into the invasions. That is, Champs drop nothing when you kill them, but on event success you then get all that loot at once in addition to the completion rewards. Just think for a minute how that would impact invasions. Every champ would still count, but just zerging to kill as many as possible to the detriment of success would no longer be lucrative at all, let alone more lucrative than trying to win. I really hope this or something similar comes to pass, because I think there's a lot to love about the invasions.
I was so soured that I just bolted to WvW
That's how it's supposed to work, for sure. One of the best and least-hyped things about Guild Wars 2 is the unifying sense of immediacy. If you don't like what you're doing you can almost always go do something you'd prefer right away, with no downtime. It was a great strength of GW1 and it's even more prevalent here.

Way to go with the Golem save, Lump!
I won't go as far as Kos and a few others and just hate SAB, I just can't seem to get into it. I'll try once more this weekend, but so far it just isn't fun to me and feels disjointed from the rest of the game.
Oh absolutely. It's a completely different game, really. It's not for everybody, and it's definitely made for people who like the kind of game it is most similar to- and Guild Wars 2 is not that kind of game at all.

Man I love it though. Every frustrating failure compels me to get 3 feet further. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I will say that the Infinite Continue Coin has been my very best friend in Tribulation Mode. ;)

Tougher world bosses sounds fun, that will help break some of the monotony I've been feeling towards the those.
I have to urge everybody to keep their expectations in check on this. While any kind of change to the world bosses is more than welcome (and I definitely think a World Boss Train is in order!), they were basically as vague as absolutely possible through use of the written word on this one. This is typical
HIRE ME
but really, "all the bosses" made more "challenging, fun, and dangerous"? Could mean absolutely anything, and if we're just talking difficulty spikes with no accompanying increase in reward, there might be some frustration in here following the update too. I like the idea of them being harder regardless of reward, but I know the majority doesn't care about stuff like that.

Plus, the mention of Megadestroyer by name is just begging for me to get set up for personal disappointment. I bet you anything that we go do him after the patch and he still doesn't even award a daily bonus chest.

More likely this is preliminary challenge adjustment before a more comprehensive reward system rework farther down the line. I'd love it if this were a continuation of a trend and they were adjusted such that the tougher bosses now gave more than the easier ones and time/effort vs. reward were realigned, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

jersoc

I hope they totally redid jormag and not made him harder, aka longer.

the time to rewards are not worth it for him. Or I guess they could buff the rewards and bring back champ loot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom