• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I'm with Hawkian. Don't get too excited for the other bosses off that vague snippet. Probably just adjustments or health bars, phase timers, etc. But I would love to be wrong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone remember the old fire elemental with hordes of people just dying all over the place? Good times.
I miss it so much. Had a real Mega Man/Dragon Warrior moment too, dying to him 5 or 6 times in a row on my first occasion fighting him, then coming back near level 80 and obliterating him while dodging all over the place and rezzing people without dying.

Now you can stand in one place :'(
I hope they totally redid jormag and not made him harder, aka longer.

the time to rewards are not worth it for him. Or I guess they could buff the rewards and bring back champ loot
Yeh easiest way to improve that fight would be to merely buff the rewards a bit more. His high dragonite ore yield was a step in the right direction.

Don't get too excited for the other bosses off that vague snippet. Probably just adjustments or health bars, phase timers, etc.

Yeah I'm not too excited, and I assume we may see some minor changes mostly. But I can see this as a first step towards revamping all of the world bosses, which I would love to happen.

I wouldn't mind some easily dodged one-hit downs at some, like Shatterer. Punish the AFKers :3

I think the wurm should retreat underground, then reemerge with an attack that one-hits people in range. It has always felt weird he just stays in one spot getting pummeled.

Ashodin

I think the wurm should retreat underground, then reemerge with an attack that one-hits people in range. It has always felt weird he just stays in one spot getting pummeled.

As much as I love to melee, I would love some sort of mechanic that makes me move about.

And you can make that whole underground thing a phase. Summon more Blighted things for us to fight. Make us tear down a wall you put up around you. Something cool!

jersoc

As much as I love to melee, I would love some sort of mechanic that makes me move about.

And you can make that whole underground thing a phase. Summon more Blighted things for us to fight. Make us tear down a wall you put up around you. Something cool!

wow is a pretty good DDR game. jk jk

I do think fights need more to them rather than dodging a red circle every 30 seconds.

edit:also, why the eff does frostgorge sound lag so damn much lately

Ashodin

wow is a pretty good DDR game. jk jk

I do think fights need more to them rather than dodging a red circle every 30 seconds.

edit:also, why the eff does frostgorge sound lag so damn much lately

GW2 has a great bundle system. Adding more mechanics that require you to say, power a node, or flamethrower a nest while fighting, make it more interesting.

Hey Hawkian and Welltall, did you guys ever figure out how to get the gamepad working with Windows 8? A buddy just picked up the game and really wants to use the xbox controller but his new laptop has 8 on it and I remember it not supporting that last I heard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian and Welltall, did you guys ever figure out how to get the gamepad working with Windows 8? A buddy just picked up the game and really wants to use the xbox controller but his new laptop has 8 on it and I remember it not supporting that last I heard.
It's erratic. Some people have reported it working, others failing to various extents. I simply have no way to troubleshoot it at all as of yet. :(

It's worth a shot though, the important things would be to turn off user account control, and I guess run the AHK script .exe as Adminstrator. I wish I could ensure it worked...

Weltall is on vacation for three weeks!

Retro

It sounds incredibly minor, just some difficulty tweaks. Low expectations, people.

Yep, I expect some health tweaks, maybe change the frequency of certain attacks, etc. I don't are any mechanical changes coming with this update unless your name is El Diablo Taco.

Lunar15

Yep, I expect some health tweaks, maybe change the frequency of certain attacks, etc. I don't are any mechanical changes coming with this update unless your name is El Diablo Taco.

The secret big change to Tequatl is that now he's Cool Ranch flavored.

It's erratic. Some people have reported it working, others failing to various extents. I simply have no way to troubleshoot it at all as of yet. :(

It's worth a shot though, the important things would be to turn off user account control, and I guess run the AHK script .exe as Adminstrator. I wish I could ensure it worked...

Weltall is on vacation for three weeks!

Thanks for the response, I can mention that to him. Appreciate it.

Complistic

I won't go as far as Kos and a few others and just hate SAB, I just can't seem to get into it. I'll try once more this weekend, but so far it just isn't fun to me and feels disjointed from the rest of the game.

I feel the same way. I have no nostalgia for this era of games either though so maybe that's partly it. Luckily I find the rewards for these cheevos totally unappealing.

pyros

The one thing I don't like about this game is how fast mobs re-spawn, I kill one and start on another and the last one I killed, has reappeared and is on my back, we get xp for everything, why the rush.

The same goes for minor quests, do one, and before you leave the area, the quest resets, breaking immersion, a minor problem in an overall excellent game.

I have to add, that this my first mmo ever, and I might be too used to a single player experience, but a possible solution offered by another mmo, recently announced by Sony, has me excited and I'm hoping Arenanet, implements something similar

Proven

The one thing I don't like about this game is how fast mobs re-spawn, I kill one and start on another and the last one I killed, has reappeared and is on my back, we get xp for everything, why the rush.

The same goes for minor quests, do one, and before you leave the area, the quest resets, breaking immersion, a minor problem in an overall excellent game.

I have to add, that this my first mmo ever, and I might be too used to a single player experience, but a possible solution offered by another mmo, recently announced by Sony, has me excited and I'm hoping Arenanet, implements something similar

It'd be nice if spawn rate was dictated by population density in a zone.

I feel the same way. I have no nostalgia for this era of games either though so maybe that's partly it. Luckily I find the rewards for these cheevos totally unappealing.

That's the thing. I'm 31, so I'm totally nostalgic towards that era. I get what they are going for. Just not my thing I guess. I'm glad some like it. And for others, there's plenty of other things to do in-game while waiting for the next update. Your point about the rewards is very true in my case too. I won't miss out on anything I'll regret.

Edit: I may regret buying that infinite continue coin before I jumped into SAB. Oh well.

Retro

A dead mmo with no trinity and no endgame.

People don't know you're kidding.
JUWnj.gif

Jira

Sad times. They should be playing new games that released today!

Once you start playing GW2 you really stop playing all other games since there's new updates every two weeks. Last Tuesday we had 78 people on in our guild which is the highest concurrent number I've seen in some time, we usually average 40-45 a night. If you look at how long GW2 has been out (1 year), our GAF guild is the longest lasting, largest, and has the most user retention (over 400 unique account logins since April) of any guild in GAF's history.

Jira

when I come on, the game is always alive (I cause ppl to come on since im awesome).

He's joking, it's a long running gag we have in the guild cause if internet forums are to be believed, GW2 is a massive failure and no one plays it yet anyone who does play knows that's not true at all. The game has been continually growing since January and has seen night and day monthly retention since switching to two week updates in May.

Retro

He's joking, it's a long running gag we have in the guild cause if internet forums are to be believed, GW2 is a massive failure and no one plays it yet anyone who does play knows that's not true at all. The game has been continually growing since January and has seen night and day monthly retention since switching to two week updates in May.

Don't listen to this spin machine with the Guild Wars 2 avatar (real sneaky, buddy). The game has no subscribers.

BrettWeir

Don't listen to this spin machine with the Guild Wars 2 avatar (real sneaky, buddy). The game has no subscribers.

This is a lie. I subscribe to the fact that Trahearne needs to be replaced by Lightbringer Tybalt permanently. (As I mentioned in game)

**Edit.

I can't wait for SAB to be over with. Not that I don't like it.....I just can't get into it, and I want something new to come into the Living Story. It's hilarious and a nice throwback, but I suck at jumping puzzles, so it's more frustrating for me than fun. IE, QQ.

Retro

I can't wait for SAB to be over with. Not that I don't like it.....I just can't get into it, and I want something new to come into the Living Story. It's hilarious and a nice throwback, but I suck at jumping puzzles, so it's more frustrating for me than fun. IE, QQ.

I loved the first SAB, but this second go round is just terrible. I've reached the point where I just want to finish off the achievements (and only because I earned so many already) and be done. Whereas with the initial release, I was on cloud 9 and played it like crazy. World 1-2 is alright now that they've tweaked it a bit, but World 2-2 is god awful; I'd scrap the entire thing before World 3 comes out. World 2-3 is alright, but still a tad too long.

The first SAB felt nice because it was loaded with touches of nostalgia, wasn't overly complicated, and because the rewards were repeatable, lent itself well to a sort of speed-run vibe. The levels were over before you got bored of them, the mechanics were introduced, expanded on and then dropped in favor of the next one very quickly.

World 2 is just a lot of jumping with very few nostalgia touches, overly complex layouts, and because of the once-per-day restrictions, feels like something you do once and then ignore. It's not an attraction, it's a chore. The levels are too long, the new mechanics (basically the punch attack) aren't utilized well and the pacing feels completely off.

So mark your calendars, GAFers; Retro actively dislikes something about GW2, and surprisingly it's one of the things he liked the most.

Mxrz

Mesmer is coming up on 80. I have so many dungeon tokens, I can pretty much get a full set of any stat armor. Would berserker or condition/carrion be better overall?

SAB - Yeah, have to admit I am not enjoying world 2 nearly as much as I did world 1. It just isn't as fun, and feels a little too cheap at times. Not sure what to make of it. I've been doing world 1 daily for the bubbles, but it is world 2 feels like a chore.

Taffer

I loved the first SAB, but this second go round is just terrible. I've reached the point where I just want to finish off the achievements (and only because I earned so many already) and be done. Whereas with the initial release, I was on cloud 9 and played it like crazy. World 1-2 is alright now that they've tweaked it a bit, but World 2-2 is god awful; I'd scrap the entire thing before World 3 comes out. World 2-3 is alright, but still a tad too long.

The first SAB felt nice because it was loaded with touches of nostalgia, wasn't overly complicated, and because the rewards were repeatable, lent itself well to a sort of speed-run vibe. The levels were over before you got bored of them, the mechanics were introduced, expanded on and then dropped in favor of the next one very quickly.

World 2 is just a lot of jumping with very few nostalgia touches, overly complex layouts, and because of the once-per-day restrictions, feels like something you do once and then ignore. It's not an attraction, it's a chore. The levels are too long, the new mechanics (basically the punch attack) aren't utilized well and the pacing feels completely off.

So mark your calendars, GAFers; Retro actively dislikes something about GW2, and surprisingly it's one of the things he liked the most.

This is pretty much my feelings on World 2, I'm only finishing the achievements because I blew ~30G on the coin before playing it.

Super Bee Dog > the entire new super trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom