• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I was just reading through this thread on the subreddit and let me just say I'm so, so, so glad that [GAF] is so casual that it doesn't give a damn about 100% repping or spamming map chat with advertisements. We cull inactives when we're close to cap (and let them right back in if they ask) and we're not assholes; that's about it.

With a few exceptions (Hawkian, for example), most of the officers and GMs have been involved with the running or leadership of a raiding guild in other MMOs, and those experiences have soured us on the whole "hardcore" approach.

I'll be honest though, the way GW2 is built takes a lot of the pain out of the experience. All the content is open so there's no raid teams to organize, everyone gets loot so there's no arguments or DKP or crap like that, and the content comes so quickly nobody ever gets bored and tries to stir up trouble. If people want more from their guild, they can belong to more than one so there's never any either/or decision.

Plus, NeoGAF's own policies make GAFers pretty well-behaved bunch already.

Really, all we do is invite people, watch for the occasional drama, pay for Mumble and make ourselves available to fill dungeon groups or answer questions.

More scarlet? Gawhd.....

The obvious solution to the "villain of the week" effect that was starting develop is to have villains re-appear. I don't like her either, but at least her return means there's some forward progression in the story.

Lunar15

Did some BG teq kills late into the night.

Some things I noticed.

1.) They stock the WHOLE dps group with ice bows before the initial landing. Everyone gets a free skill 4 shot on Teq at the crucial beginning. Note that its best to do this after the first shockwave/fear.

2.) They stack in a slightly closer spot where both turret sets can hit. Not objectively better, just different.

3.) They use Fire Elemental Powder and Deployable Mortar Kit consumables during the stun phase. Once there was literally 10 seconds between battery defense phases since so much damage was done during the stuns. There were a fuck-ton of mortars in one particular go.

:)

These are some awesome tips. I never thought about using deployable mortars, but yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Hzoltan69

Alright guys:

First Tequatl attack after reset (Sat 9/21), we're taking him down. That's 8:00PMEDT, 5:00PM Server time. Get in early to be able to ferry people... and bring your wits.

Damn, I have to be there. Having slept less than 3 hours last night, I'm not sure how I will stay up until 2am, but I have to find a way.

Are we going to use revised tactics based on Levyne's observations?

Levyne

Banned
Um. Just want to clarify that it still failed 2 out of 3 attempts. Lots of non BG guesters like myself I imagine :p.

But something like the frostbows could be easily added. Just tell the TS and chat to have people load up on them beforehand. And I can't vouch for the effectiveness of mortars/embers during the stun in terms of damage done individually since I didn't actually go grab one myself. Plus in order for it to make a dent you'd have to get a lot of people committed to bringing them and actually using them. They require doing some events in fireheart for both, iirc.

If you do grab a frostbow, any use of its skills will start its countdown, so it'll have to be relayed to others not to touch any skills until Teq has actually landed. You can still grab it and hold onto it without triggering its countdown.

Levyne

Banned
Right. It's for the one free "4" skill at the start. Times the population of the zerg. And remind people not too cast it early before Teq can be damaged, wait for the first fear/shockwave to be over.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. On our one success, we didn't get to the first laser until 6:xx something, and still won with 3 minutes left. If we get better on those stuns, it slackens the leash for how well you need to do for the first 25%.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did some BG teq kills late into the night.

Some things I noticed.

1.) They stock the WHOLE dps group with ice bows before the initial landing. Everyone gets a free skill 4 shot on Teq at the crucial beginning. Note that its best to do this after the first shockwave/fear.

2.) They stack in a slightly closer spot where both turret sets can hit. Not objectively better, just different.

3.) They use Fire Elemental Powder and Deployable Mortar Kit consumables during the stun phase. Once there was literally 10 seconds between battery defense phases since so much damage was done during the stuns. There were a fuck-ton of mortars in one particular go.

Edit:

lrRbqN2.jpg

:)
Great tips!

We probably won't go all out with the consumables (use em if you got em, sure!) but the Frost Bows thing is sweet. Eles, please drop down bows all at the zerg (even if you're not on DPS duty) before Teq lands!

So, reminder time: we are going to slay Tequatl before our guild missions tonight. Whenever the first fight after 8:00PM EDT is, that's our target. If you can manage it, please be in SBI Sparkfly main at/by 7:30PM EDT to be able to secure a spot and ferry others.

SBI ts: ts3.stormbluffisle.com

If this is your first time at Tequatl Fight Club, you have to fight. But also, you can hop into our Mumble beforehand and I'll give you a brief rundown and assign you a job :)

Ashodin

Um. Just want to clarify that it still failed 2 out of 3 attempts. Lots of non BG guesters like myself I imagine :p.

But something like the frostbows could be easily added. Just tell the TS and chat to have people load up on them beforehand. And I can't vouch for the effectiveness of mortars/embers during the stun in terms of damage done individually since I didn't actually go grab one myself. Plus in order for it to make a dent you'd have to get a lot of people committed to bringing them and actually using them. They require doing some events in fireheart for both, iirc.
Getting all the achievements means you're done with the game right? :)

What a fiasco. Been waiting seven hours for [OBEY] to show up, since they promised to help their server beat Taco today. Unbeknownst to people not part of Obey, they ended up guesting to Maguuma to go do it there, to "get away from the afk'ers in FA Sparkfly".

So meanwhile, half the FA server is sitting in Sparkfly, waiting for Obey to rock up. They don't, we fail Taco, and Obey fails Taco on Maguuma since they didn't have enough people.

Anyone suggest a good server I can guest to so I can see Taco taken down at least once?

My home server is really letting me down.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One final reminder: GAF will be taking on Teq at his first spawn post reset (8:00PM EDT). Get in as early as you can for a guaranteed spot! :)

I'll be with you in spirit GW2Gaf. Fights are on tonight and the rest of the fambam left this afternoon back to LA to visit other Fam so I got the house to myself for about a week.

Arkanius

Just missing Tail Sweep and Flawless defense.
I wonder if I should go to an Overflow for that, but people rarely defend the turrets correctly there

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't actually managed anything above rare from any Teq event. Oh well. If everyone was lucky, no one would be.
For the time investment of the actual fight, I don't mind the 1g+, rares, and ~30 dragonite. Of course if I had Ash's luck...

hythloday

Same here Kos. I'm sure over time more people will get a chance. People won't be so camp-happy as they are now. The fight is new for lots so there's a lot of interest. It will be even better once other boss revamps make it in, so that the crowds are spread out more.

Right now it's reminding me a little bit too much of my EQ days where if you aren't camped out an hour before the boss spawns, you aren't getting a shot at it.

Retro

Sometimes I wonder if we're even playing the same game.

I try to stop and smell the roses, and I have a pretty good chunk of screenshots myself, but nothing compares to those. I mean, I run at the highest settings too, and I swear it never looks that amazing.

Running SweetFX or something too?

Either way, great shots.

Checking my screenshot folder, I'm at six thousand and counting. I should really start to cull.

I don't use SweetFX, but I use something simlair - Darkd3 (http://darkd3.com/) - Hardcore version. I find it more reliable, less intensive, and with better tonal adjustment, than SweetFX.

Also, most of the shots I've shown thus far are stitched together using multiple shots, to give a much wider viewing angle. My kingdom for a real first-person view.

Lunar15

Checking my screenshot folder, I'm at six thousand and counting. I should really start to cull.

I don't use SweetFX, but I use something simlair - Darkd3 (http://darkd3.com/) - Hardcore version. I find it more reliable, less intensive, and with better tonal adjustment, than SweetFX.

Also, most of the shots I've shown thus far are stitched together using multiple shots, to give a much wider viewing angle. My kingdom for a real first-person view.

These are absolutely incredible. Seriously. You need to show these off to Anet some how, they could use them in promotional shots.

I mean, the AA here is intensely good.

I almost want to post these on the discussion board. They're that awesome.

Atrophis

I don't think I'm going to get a Taco kill any time soon. :(

Can't stay up late enough during the week and next weekend I'm off on holiday. As expected, after camping him for 5 hours and 3 attempts with no success on Friday, you guys beat him the next time he popped. So called it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom