• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

This is fun, keep it goin'! hehe
  • About 50-50 split pure DPS and pure support, on a thief
  • Critically pulled off the zergball to spike down a finger at southern turrets and repair one
  • Picked up an ice bow Aodh must have dropped by the turrets to bring back to Teq
  • Mad rezzin' of the stragglers the spirits and banners missed
  • Died right before Teq did to lull him into a false sense of security

I did this one too

and that one

• Was on the DPS Stack Finger Squad
  • Dropping Shadows Refuge on the DPS Stack to keep health up
  • Used S/D #2 and #5+#1 to Root and Stun Bloaters headed to East Battery
  • DPS'd Fingers and Refuged Turret groups while traveling to and from Batteries
  • QQ'd at Ash out of frustration for missing the previous attempt (the precursor attempt to the kill)
  • Wished I had a beer to celebrate being apart of the first SBI Super Teq kill

What are these things actually called, ahahaha

Great job by the way, the cc on those guys was so clutch.

Infiltration Step, Cloak and Dagger and uhh.. whatever Slice n Dice turns into when you're stealthed? lol

Edit: Infiltration Strike* and Slice* turns into Tactical Strike* when you're in stealth. I should learn these better but I don't write guides much. I just know what they do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Infiltration Step, Cloak and Dagger and uhh.. whatever Slice n Dice turns into when you're stealthed? lol

Edit: Infiltration Strike* and Slice* turns into Tactical Strike* when you're in stealth. I should learn these better but I don't write guides much. I just know what they do.

No dude. I know thief sword and dagger skills haha, I meant the "bloaters"

They're like... Risen... Something... Creeper... Bloater things

Ad9rY61.jpg

The guy on the right is really good looking.

The wave damage hitbox begins well in front of the actual graphic wave and actually ends around where the front on the wave starts so if you want to improve your jumping try to jump ONTO the wave instead of over the wave. Been getting basically 100% doing that.

What were YOUR main contributions to SBI's first Teq kill?

• Traited Ranger elite spirit for regen and expanded resing.
  • Cleared Teq Fingers during battery defense to maximize output during stun phase.
  • Longbow dps during range, sword dps during stun.
  • Helped bail out overrun south turrets halfway though fight.

How about you?

I sent a positive karma vibe by helping my oldest daughter with her advanced algebra homework. Clearly I helped confuse Taco by doing this.

Good job though everyone. I wanted to be there for the first kill but, life...lol.

Lunar15

I think the one thing Anet should work on for future events of this scale is dealing with AFK players. The window for getting kicked for inactivity should decrease significantly once the event kicks off. That way we can clear the way for more people trying to get in and thus increase the ability for more people to participate.

Anet's done fantastic at analyzing data from past events, so I'm pretty positive they'll work on it. This event is incredible for being the first of its kind, so I can only imagine how much they'll improve future iterations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With the way they're announcing and tracking each server first, I imagine this release has been a data collection frenzy for them. I bet their BI team is having a field day watching what has gone on this week.

Lunar15

With the way they're announcing and tracking each server first, I imagine this release has been a data collection frenzy for them. I bet their BI team is having a field day watching what has gone on this week.

Whole thing makes me wonder if the invasions were really just one big overflow stress test to prepare for Tequatl.

Levyne

Banned
Looking forward to another Teq run, hopefully kill, today. Think I'm only gonna give it one go a day now, though. Committing to 2 or more goes is basically commiting to ~4 hours in sparkfly, unless you really enjoy spam clicking the party join.

Looking forward to another Teq run, hopefully kill, today. Think I'm only gonna give it one go a day now, though. Committing to 2 or more goes is basically commiting to ~4 hours in sparkfly, unless you really enjoy spam clicking the party join.

I hope most people in our guild will have same mentality so that I can have a chance to beat him finally, on Sunday hopefully since I will be away this weekend.

Retro

I think the one thing Anet should work on for future events of this scale is dealing with AFK players. The window for getting kicked for inactivity should decrease significantly once the event kicks off. That way we can clear the way for more people trying to get in and thus increase the ability for more people to participate..

At the very least, there should be two changes to the Downed system;

1. When another player is downed / defeated, you could click the icon on the minimap, which tells them something like "A noble soul is coming to help!" One of the things I really hate is when I'm rushing to help someone who's downed and they just waypoint.

2. When defeated, a countdown timer begins so you can't just remain in place permanently. When the timer expires, it kicks you to the nearest open waypoint automatically. For starters, it means people won't be constantly rezzing someone who's afk, causing all of their armor to break and fail. It would also eliminate AFKers crashing events.

That, or downed/defeated players don't count as 'players' after a certain amount of time, so they can't screw up events.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience too, and I can't say I cared for it. I'll likely jump in at prime time and hope we down him. If not, it's not like he's disappearing forever.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At the very least, there should be two changes to the Downed system;
I'm not positive but I think he was referring to very much alive AFK players standing by the waypoint which is very close to the turrets.

I really want to be in for another kill tonight too, and I'm betting it's gonna happen. I really hope it's not the 7:30ish one though cause I'm probably still gonna be at family dinner.

I too look forward to the days when the popularity has died down a bit and we can be like "oh hey, Teq's coming, let's all get to Sparkfly" and make it happen. You have to secure your slot/get a ferry so early on for the moment that it really is a commitment. Overflows are improving (getting better at Teq) but it's SUCH a crapshoot and communication is hamstrung. "Kill Teq in an Overflow" should be a 25 pt achievement, lol.

Too many people play this game -_-

I'm not positive but I think he was referring to very much alive AFK players standing by the waypoint which is very close to the turrets.

I really want to be in for another kill tonight too, and I'm betting it's gonna happen. I really hope it's not the 7:30ish one though cause I'm probably still gonna be at family dinner.

I too look forward to the days when the popularity has died down a bit and we can be like "oh hey, Teq's coming, let's all get to Sparkfly" and make it happen. You have to secure your slot/get a ferry so early on for the moment that it really is a commitment. Overflows are improving (getting better at Teq) but it's SUCH a crapshoot and communication is hamstrung. "Kill Teq in an Overflow" should be a 25 pt achievement, lol.

Too many people play this game -_-

Nah. There are already 150+ player guilds created specifically to kill Teq that intentionally ferry to the most empty overflow they can find to make sure there are no "randoms" in the attempt. It's the closest thing that I've ever seen to Elitism in GW2. An achievement would just support more people doing that unfortunately and would ultimately still result in the average casual player never learning how to execute the fight. ;/

Sucks but that's how I see it going down.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah. There are already 150+ player guilds created specifically to kill Teq that intentionally ferry to the most empty overflow they can find to make sure there are no "randoms" in the attempt. It's the closest thing that I've ever seen to Elitism in GW2. An achievement would just support more people doing that unfortunately and would ultimately still result in the average casual player never learning how to execute the fight. ;/

Sucks but that's how I see it going down.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Cross-server guilds like TKS (which has hit its cap at 500 already, not just 150+) that are formed to find a viable location to kill Teq are a pretty critical opportunity for players who want to contribute to victory but whose home servers don't have the organization and coordination needed to do so (or haven't achieved it yet). Considering how relatively lenient their requirements for entry are ("have exotics of some kind") per the difficulty of the fight, this strikes me as almost antithetical to the concept of elitism. Scenarios like that make it possible for more people to have the chance to complete it, and especially those who might not get the chance otherwise.

And evaluating their exploits so far, they may have gone to overflows to do this, but they've also intentionally guested to lower-population servers and worked with the locals to complete it, which gives them the chance to do so in addition to the TKS members. This was how Vabbi got its first kill.

I'm not really advocating that achievement as a great idea, I was just kidding about that because when you wind up in a random overflow it's typically a massive challenge to attempt to organize the ragtag groups that have shown up and do well against him (though not impossible). I just don't think "supporting more people doing that" is bad, elitist, or relevant to the average casual player learning the fight. After all, the average casual player learning the fight has to do so somehow.

edit: Also, just seems appropriate to mention... we've discussed doing this sort of thing with US as a scheduled guild event. While I'd have no problem helping the "randoms" we come across whatsoever, I would also want us to find the most empty instance of the map we could so that as much of the attempt as possible was GAF. I think it'd be fun :-/ Sorry if the idea seems exclusionary... it just never struck me as that extreme.

Sigh, I wasted another two hours in SAB. I don't know why I still do it. I can't wait until it goes, I don't want to see that shit for a while. I am cursed to having to do everything TWICE in World 2.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Cross-server guilds like TKS (which has hit its cap at 500 already, not just 150+) that are formed to find a viable location to kill Teq are a pretty critical opportunity for players who want to contribute to victory but whose home servers don't have the organization and coordination needed to do so (or haven't achieved it yet). Considering how relatively lenient their requirements for entry are ("have exotics of some kind") per the difficulty of the fight, this strikes me as almost antithetical to the concept of elitism. Scenarios like that make it possible for more people to have the chance to complete it, and especially those who might not get the chance otherwise.

And evaluating their exploits so far, they may have gone to overflows to do this, but they've also intentionally guested to lower-population servers and worked with the locals to complete it, which gives them the chance to do so in addition to the TKS members. This was how Vabbi got its first kill.

I'm not really advocating that achievement as a great idea, I was just kidding about that because when you wind up in a random overflow it's typically a massive challenge to attempt to organize the ragtag groups that have shown up and do well against him (though not impossible). I just don't think "supporting more people doing that" is bad, elitist, or relevant to the average casual player learning the fight. After all, the average casual player learning the fight has to do so somehow.

edit: Also, just seems appropriate to mention... we've discussed doing this sort of thing with US as a scheduled guild event. While I'd have no problem helping the "randoms" we come across whatsoever, I would also want us to find the most empty instance of the map we could so that as much of the attempt as possible was GAF. I think it'd be fun :-/ Sorry if the idea seems exclusionary... it just never struck me as that extreme.

Let me first clarify. What my post was speculating was that if an Achievement were to be made for a kill in Overflow, it would encourage the playerbase to segment and exclude to get the content done.

The issue as I see it with those types of tactics is that with a Guild the size of TKS, they quite easily displace the vast majority of "locals." Compared to Gaf (who has quite a large number of members but typically never that many actively playing in unison) it's a very different experience. You would have a better idea of our general activity but if I had to guess on the large side.. we would field what? 60-70 players for a Teq event? Maybe more but certainly nowhere near the numbers that TKS or a similar guild would field.

It's similar to what happened in the Beta when the big WvW Alliances were made and all the allied Guilds rolled the same server. They displaced the Non-Alliance players on those servers. That's how I see it as exclusionary.

The separate issue of trying to go to an Overflow is one of excluding the rest of the server. Granted no one likes when people troll events and it's frustrating when people get on turrets that don't know how to use them but having those who know how to do the event actively avoid those that are learning the event is exclusionary.

With all this being said, attempting to go to Overflow or a Low Pop server to attempt content as a Guild Event once a week or so isn't problematic at all. It's a challenge for a Guild to overcome, etc.. etc.. That's all fine. But if you add too much reward, it only encourages elitism and segregation among the populace in order to increase the chances of success. To be on the receiving end of that kind of exclusion sucks as a player in other MMO's where the limit of Party/Raid members already naturally excludes. It would be even more demoralizing here in GW2 where the content is supposed to be designed to facilitate teamwork among massive groups of players.

Retro

I was under the impression, at least from the sound of Teamspeak, that those players were getting killed, but because they didn't release were still boosting the spawn numbers. I know we had a lot of AFKers sitting just to the left of our cluster point during last night's surprise attempt.

Anno

Really curious what our next WvW matchup will be. Hopefully something harder, maybe someone we haven't fought in a long time.

trimon

I did a lot of Guardian stuff but I don't know how much help I was to the DPS group :S

-Casted Hallowed Ground as quick possible when waves are coming XD
-Wall of Reflection when people in Teamspeak called fingers
-Shouted out tips on map chat or regurgitated what people said on Teamspeak to the people in the game :p
-Did as much healing and shielding as I could
-when it came to DPS I spammed virtue of burning (forgot the name) and all my other attack skills

Arkanius

- Killed fingers
- Saved everyone with Battle Standard whenever people would fail to jump over the waves.

Nothing is more satisfying than watching a bunch of numbers come up due all the ressurects when you drop that banner.

Ashodin

I did a lot of Guardian stuff but I don't know how much help I was to the DPS group :S

-Casted Hallowed Ground as quick possible when waves are coming XD
-Wall of Reflection when people in Teamspeak called fingers
-Shouted out tips on map chat or regurgitated what people said on Teamspeak to the people in the game :p
-Did as much healing and shielding as I could
-when it came to DPS I spammed virtue of burning (forgot the name) and all my other attack skills

Virtue of Justice son. Dat burning.

REAL TALK

One of my favorite parts of Teq was splitting from the DPS, watching the commander tags beautifully separate on the minimap and ahead of you, running full buck to the East jump pad, and not even SEEING, but FEELING the group of people rushing headlong behind you to get to the jump pad....

MY GOD

500x1000px-LL-6f46fb6b_images.jpeg

ADDENDUM

The epic feel of flying through the air towards the battery, getting a huge aerial view of the battlefield as you see people flying as well, and NO CULLING to stop you from seeing that epicness...

Flying BACK to DPS Teq after the phase change, seeing all the people rolling and landing next to you.

Shit was goddamn war, son

Ceres

Banned
My guardian build worked well defending turrets. GS 5 to catch and pull enemies away from turrets or group them together for fast AoEs, Staff line of warding to prevent things from going too far. I've been waiting to craft an ascended hammer but would be nice to have that for golfing.

Really curious what our next WvW matchup will be. Hopefully something harder, maybe someone we haven't fought in a long time.

SoS/CD Rematch!

Lunar15

I think my favorite part of turret defense was right when the lighting changed as tequatl jumped out of the sea. One of the turret pilots typed in chat, "Welp, we're in your hands now"

...Then the risen started coming.

I love melodrama

Ashodin

I think my favorite part of turret defnese was right when the lighting changed as tequatl jumped out of the sea. One of the turret pilots typed in chat, "Welp, we're in your hands now"

...Then the risen started coming.

I love melodrama

oh shit man, if I was on that team, I would have been like "well shit, something epic is about to happen".

I remember that turrent operator, he was the most northern one. I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Oh, pets don't get affected by the wave? Spider in the bottom left hand corner just chilling when the wave goes over. That's nice.
Edit: oh crap, new page. Ashodin's gif in question
wavejumpdefyr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom