• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Whats your opinion on male players creating mostly female characters? Im a very insecure person.

I've got a mix of both; of my 80s I have two males (Human warrior, Asuran engineer), and two females (Human guardian, Sylvari thief). I have a female Asuran mesmer in the 50s and a female human elementalist that hasn't gotten past the teens. I'm also sitting on a Charr male for whenever a new profession rolls around, and if I ever decide to roll a Necro, it'll probably be a Norn female.

In past MMOs I tend to favor female characters just because the male customization options left a lot to be desired. If I wanted to make a svelte rogue or wizened old mage in World of Warcraft, all of my male options were barrel chested, cleft-paletted he-men (who ran like they had a hot load of shit in their britches, but nevermind that). As a result, a lot of the character names I'm used to using, and thus rushed to get for GW2, are female.

To be fair though, I did start off with a female Norn warrior, but blew her up in the mid 60s because I just wasn't crazy about her animations.

Proven

Thanks for the WvW comments guys.

They definitely need to spread their WvW nights throughout the week if guilds are having problems getting in together.

Whats your opinion on male players creating mostly female characters? Im a very insecure person.

I like playing fully formed, already created female characters in other games. But if I have to make one from scratch then it feels weird. I start designing a character, but the second I say or do anything that's more me, then it breaks my immersion of the character. It's weird. I'd essentially have to RP the entire time.

Best way I can put it is that in a fighting game or something, I'm playing the character and playing their style in order to win. In something like GW2, I'm playing me. Anything I type out to other people or into guild chat comes from me, the person. So all my characters are based on aspects related to me (essentially, what kind of slightly altered version of me would be the type to play this class). This is also why I've had a Condi Warrior, Power Necro, and Death Blossom Thief since launch. And then my next level 80 was a Hybrid Guardian.

I just don't compartmentalize it well. I don't think it's all that weird for other people to make female characters except maybe when a male has eight or more characters and they're all female. That's the point where I don't understand them anymore but accept their choice.

Edit: Perplexity Runes + Fireworks = ?

Trey

My main character is an avatar of me. All my alts are female because if it ain't me, I go for the most aesthetically attractive composition.

I don't really think too much on the gender options and what it says about the people that play the game, but I can't help but notice the fanservice sometimes.

My first character was a charr engineer because he was just like me, a giant dog/cat person who throws grenades, takes the local commute via rocket boots, and sets off bombs in circles of water/fire. But I probably played my human female elementalist more because being hairy is 3scary5me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing the game today, after buying it on the Humble Store sale a few days ago (took me way too long to download), and so far it's awesome. I had played WoW before, and this feels different somehow. I'm sure I'm gonna love it, and the people in the GAF guild are really cool and great.

swnny

uh. supposedly patch notes for the next update are leaked.

If it's true, that these "Shards of Legend" are dropped only from chests(sPvP), and there is no way to convert your existing arcane materials in to them, then there will be a lot of QQing and raging from the players, who have spent all their glory and opened they every chest till this point. Can't wait! /giggle

As a male, I prefer to create a female character. Mostly, because I like how armors look on females. And I kinda don't like the idea of looking at a male's ass for the whole time I spend ingame. :)
Altho, from 7 characters (every profession, but an engie, I hate engies...) I have male Norn, Charr and Asura. Both the Charr and Asura are supposed to look like badass dudes, while the Norn, in tradition of their race - kinda comical and stupidly looking . Huge muscle guy, with bald head, pink-gold plated armor and a flower on his back. ^^

Retro

I started playing the game today, after buying it on the Humble Store sale a few days ago (took me way too long to download), and so far it's awesome. I had played WoW before, and this feels different somehow. I'm sure I'm gonna love it, and the people in the GAF guild are really cool and great.

Yeah, sorry if I kind of overwhelmed you with the advice to start. As you said, coming from WoW, there's some stuff you'll flat out need to unlearn.

Here's some good beginners tips, I already mentioned some of those in game, but the rest are still useful; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45741280&postcount=8073

jersoc

female cause armor always looks better on them. i hate bulky looking shoulders and such.
plenty of people in the guild roll female chars, myself included.

its ok as long as its not asura.

hythloday

A button with an ass for a face.

just kidding, asura are all adorable.

So, I am a huge fan of the nightmare tower. I have been pretty uninterested in GW2 or anything else really for the past month or so due to non-game factors but this update has piqued my interest a bit. The cutscene and voiceovers for Scarlet were pretty good, too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, sorry if I kind of overwhelmed you with the advice to start. As you said, coming from WoW, there's some stuff you'll flat out need to unlearn.

Here's some good beginners tips, I already mentioned some of those in game, but the rest are still useful; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45741280&postcount=8073
Nah, don't apologize! On the contrary, you helped me a lot, even teleporting to where I was to teach me some stuff in person. I really appreciate that, thanks a lot.

I read that post of yours today, after posting here. There's a lot to learn, but Xenoflux and you make the process seem easy and fun. I'm eager to play more, and the game is already scratching that WoW itch I had.

Retro

I'm eager to play more, and the game is already scratching that WoW itch I had.

A minor word of caution on this; take your time and smell the roses. Explore, and you'll naturally level from killing mobs, doing any events that pop up, gathering resources, viewing vistas and finding points of interest. Don't aim for efficiency, don't run from point to point on the map and don't do anything that doesn't entertain or excite. The goal isn't to get to 80 as quickly as you can, but to play for the sake of playing the game and exploring the world.

Unlike WoW (and most traditional MMOs), Guild Wars doesn't really have an 'end game'. There's stuff you can only do at 80, but what I mean is that there isn't a bait-and-switch where you spend the entire game playing one way, then reach max level and have to learn to raid. What you're doing at level 10 is the same stuff you'll be doing at level 80; leveling up just means there's more of it available to do, and in different contexts (except dungeons, which begin at level 30). Because they're continually adding new content, and that content is often built to be unique (rather than just a new dungeon, a new raid, etc.) it never really starts to feel old.

And if it does, you can take a break for two weeks and there will be something new to try. Since there's no sub, you're not obligated to play to try to get your money's worth. There's also no gear treadmill like WoW, so if you take a break for a few weeks or even months, your gear won't be woefully outdated.

Mxrz

I haven't made a male character since 1972.

I hit on every female character in game.

If it's true, that these "Shards of Legend" are dropped only from chests(sPvP), and there is no way to convert your existing arcane materials in to them, then there will be a lot of QQing and raging from the players, who have spent all their glory and opened they every chest till this point. Can't wait! /giggle^
There is always going to be QQing.

Real men do not choose the female gender for thier MMO characters.

Ya'll should be real and manly just like me and then delete all your female characters because it is emberrasing.

Lunar15

Bring a huge sense of humor and lack of pretense and start reading this: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Warning-Buoy/first

Yeah, it's endlessly goofy and nerdy, but it goes so far off that deep end that it starts to become pretty entertaining. The two main characters of it are constantly hilarious, and some of the additional people who join in add really funny stuff. Even Anet staff throw some shout outs.

Y'know, while this stuff is fanfictiony and pretty cringeworthy at times, it's still fun and deeply coherent with the world. I feel like the actual living story team has failed to do anything like that. Most of what they've added doesn't feel like they're fleshing out the current world, but adding wrinkles that feel very out of place and with little explanation. Their insistence on adding a bunch of sci-fi to the world just doesn't mesh, it's even gone beyond what I thought was a "tasteful" application of science with the Asura. It's a shame too, since there's so many interesting paths to take in this game, such as Norn shamanism, the lost human gods, the wyld hunt, asuran experiments, and legion politics. None of the living story updates have done anything with any of these fantastic existing concepts.

I think the tower is the best content patch they've done.

Except for the story.

But even the story, you can see improvements. The hand drawn art cinematic was awesome. The content itself is really good. I guess we can see an improvement compared to Kaka event last year.

Retro

Man, the new Nightmare Chambers are surprisingly fun. Thanks for the solo/2-man content, Anet. <3

It's interesting how the Nightmare tower almost feels like an experiment in manipulation. You have the events that bottleneck players into informal groups, the maze that divides them spatially, and the chambers that divide them temporally. The chambers seem ideal for getting keys, but they're faster if you do them alone (or at least, that's been my experience). So you're congealing into groups, breaking apart in the maze, reforming for the events, but wandering off alone or in small groups to do the chambers.

I dunno, it feels like another "Break up the Zerg" attempt, in the same way Scarlet's Invasions couldn't be zerged down andrequired people to spread out if they wanted to beat them. Obviously the farmers shot that attempt down, so now maybe they're doing something else.

If you step back from it a bit, it almost feels like a miniature Orr. Lots of tough mobs, densely packed, with gates between sections that you can't bypass without stopping. It's not an exact parallel, but it's interesting to think of the tower as ArenaNet experimenting a bit. With most MMOs, the content has almost always been soloable unless it's an instance. ArenaNet clearly wants to have big groups of players doing Big Important Things, but I feel like they don't want those groups to be too big, where everyone just clumps up in a herd and nobody feels accountable.

In fact, the only complaint I have is that commanders can still throw up their tags and become rallying points. That, to me, interferes with the group dynamic and turns it into "another thing that can be zerged." I wouldn't have been surprised if they had disabled commander tags in the same way they disabled Mesmer portals.

On that note, if the Guild Commander tags that were data-mined turns out to be real, I wonder if they'd have the balls to remove commander tags, refunding the 100g and making the tags something you earn rather than buy.

But even the story, you can see improvements. The hand drawn art cinematic was awesome. The content itself is really good. I guess we can see an improvement compared to Kaka event last year.

I think Scarlet just rubs a lot of people the wrong way; a super smart, super powered villain who everyone in-game seems to recognize but appeared out of nowhere, doing things with no apparent reason (seriously, we have no clue yet as to why she's making all of these alliances yet?). The storytelling (cinematics, etc.) are good and a step up from the "talking head" dialogues, but the actual story content still feels like too much light foreplay, to the point of annoyance. I think people would be okay with Scarlet if she had emerged a little earlier as a suspect (perhaps in place of Mai Trin?) and then fully revealed, but the way she just sort of popped up just makes things feel disconnected.

Hopefully the lesson was learned and the storyline from here on out will be improved. I can only hope they're going to wrap Scarlet's storyline up soon, because even though it's salvageable at this point, I think a lot of people just flat out don't like her and want to move on.

Been meaning to make this comparison. If you have an AMD/Radeon graphics card I highly recommend the third-party RadeonPro freeware for better AA options over the in-game engine's. Plus it has SweetFX built in (I don't use it though).

Here's without any AA:
ibnJ9VaaSnlMGa.bmp

Here's with SMAA:
iurEow8FBMhw2.bmp

The bottom righthand corner shows the framerate. I notice maybe on average a 2-3 framerate drop in LA. It's worth it.

Retro

They are always the same thing to me
Am I missing something?

I always kill a Watchwork at the end. Save 3 people. Pick the chest.

I've gotten a bunch of different ones. Even one where I fought my Order Mentor from the personal story. Are you going in alone? That might affect it.

nataku

Been meaning to make this comparison. If you have an AMD/Radeon graphics card I highly recommend the third-party RadeonPro freeware for better AA options over the in-game engine's. Plus it has SweetFX built in (I don't use it though).

Here's without any AA:
ibnJ9VaaSnlMGa.bmp

Here's with SMAA:
iurEow8FBMhw2.bmp

The bottom righthand corner shows the framerate. I notice maybe on average a 2-3 framerate drop in LA. It's worth it.

Am I missing something? I see no pictures, only your fraps counter.

EDIT: Huh, found out why. Chrome honors alpha channels in BMPs. https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=38618

I have a 7950, so which Third-Party software should I use?

Hedge

They are always the same thing to me
Am I missing something?

I always kill a Watchwork at the end. Save 3 people. Pick the chest.

I've gotten a lot of different ones. Basically, after all the ones I've done, it comes down to two combinations: traps and mobs. And within these two there are a lot of fun combinations.

Traps could be poison mines, pod hallucination traps, spiderweb traps, etc.
Mobs could be aetherblades, toxic sylvari, wildlife, etc. And then of course the boss at the end are variable too.

I have a 7950, so which Third-Party software should I use?
I also use a 7950, so this should work for you.

http://www.radeonpro.info/download/

These are my AA settings. I didn't mess with HBAO, tessalation, not sure if GW2 supports those. Do NOT check MLAA. It's horrible. Also, make you click the blue link in the bottom right hand corner to have "32/64bit" set up if you're using 64-bit OS.

Antialiasing options must be off in the in-game options menu.

There are youtube videos on how to set up SweetFX within RadeonPro, but if you're already using it, not sure if it matters. Edit: And under settings you can set up RadeonPro's own screenshot function so the injector's effects are included, which doesn't happen with the in-game screenshot function. Thanks Miktar for the PNG tip!
eAJq5wB.png

Pretty sure Nvidia has something similar, called Inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom