• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be want Overflow or would we want Main? Overflows seem to reset population count after each invasion while the Main appeared to continue counting population. Overflow would offer more repeated lower tier rewards while Main could offer the higher tier rewards...

Retro

I want to buy heavy but i don't know how the blue areas will work with Juggernaut...

Somebody posted an image of what it looks like on Dulfy, not sure how much it will help you, but it looks like the blue areas are unaffected by dye;

originalfqkis.jpg

Would be want Overflow or would we want Main? Overflows seem to reset population count after each invasion while the Main appeared to continue counting population. Overflow would offer more repeated lower tier rewards while Main could offer the higher tier rewards...

If we can swing main, that'd be perfect, but given the popularity of this update (holy shit at the number of people giving the game a try again in the gaming side thread, even with the predictably hyperbolic hate posts) I dunno if we can get everyone in. Might have to go with an overflow and hope THAT doesn't get hard-capped too (game is dead, etc. etc.).

Event hasn't been live for 24 hours and i already saw someone on my server with Advanced Spinal Blades back piece..

qOUsKvo.gif

I made one last night a swell. Once you get the blue print the recipes are not that expensive.

I just have to wait to make it ascended though. Not enough elonian straps.

I want to say to all of you who are posting in the GW2 thread on gaming side, have much thicker skin than me. If I start replying ill probably get banned.

Retro

I want to say to all of you who are posting in the GW2 thread on gaming side, have much thicker skin than me. If I start replying ill probably get banned.

Eh, it seems like there's really two sources of legitimate hate (ignoring fanboyism, etc.): "I got to level 80 and there was nothing to do" and "I played for 30 minutes and was bored".

In the former case, they had unrealistic expectations for the 'end game', likely established by the fact that every other MMO makes you race to max level so the 'real game' can start. It's their fault that they rushed, and though part of me wants to at least be sympathetic and say maybe ArenaNet could have done more to clarify that this is not the average MMO, but errybody, errywhur was cheering this from the rooftops from the day details were announced to the day they stopped waiting and started playing. This complaint also ignores the fact that there have been a huge amount of updates since whenever they played last, meaning (gasp) there's more things to do now, though this attitude is generally accompanied by people who want gear grinds and such, meaning the updates just aren't going to interest them.

The latter, MMOs probably aren't for them, or the kind of MMO GW2 is isn't for them (though if any MMO were going to be, it'd be this one).

In either case, the level of hate piled upon the game, especially the distortion and outright lies about population and profitability that oozed out overnight, is unwarranted.At most, somebody was burned on $40-50 bucks for not getting the facts straight before they bought it. You'd think ArenaNet was grinding babies up for fuel to power their death ray.

I'm just trying to overlook the drama (which, honestly, a lot of unfamiliar faces are correcting anyways) and answer questions. People who want to play it are getting the info they need, and hopefully the friendliness this community is apparently known for on GAF will outweigh the hate-mongering from a select few. Arguing with them only makes it look like the game needs people to defend it when it clearly does not.

The only "complaints" that I really find disingenuous are the statements of "log in, get the achievements for the LS stuff, and then there's nothing to do again." because traditional MMO's certainly don't have their players log in, do the same dailies, dungeons, and raids... then wait 8-12+ months to do it all over again.

This just in, life is boring because I have to wake up, eat, bio, and sleep again everyday. /sarcasm

Ceres

Banned
If we can swing main, that'd be perfect, but given the popularity of this update (holy shit at the number of people giving the game a try again in the gaming side thread, even with the predictably hyperbolic hate posts) I dunno if we can get everyone in. Might have to go with an overflow and hope THAT doesn't get hard-capped too (game is dead, etc. etc.).

While you seem to get insta-overflowed going to LA, I had no issues ferrying right into main. Granted 3-4 people is different than 20ish. But we were only softcapped even 15m into it. Not sure if they map capped higher for LA right now because there sure seemed to be around 200 on the map at once.

Should be a nice way to finish leveling my ele this week.

I'm taking a break from the forums and from reddit, so I can just enjoy the damn game without having people telling me how stupid/dumb/ignorant I am for enjoying something that's clearly inferior or a crap product. I'll drive-by screenshot if I take any good ones, but I might just focus on playing.

Have to say, turning off map chat in-game (permanently) has really improved my opinion of the community.

EDIT: Also, the new backpiece is redonk. Totally giving that to my Warrior.

Jira

I'm taking a break from the forums and from reddit, so I can just enjoy the damn game without having people telling me how stupid/dumb/ignorant I am for enjoying something that's clearly inferior or a crap product. I'll drive-by screenshot if I take any good ones, but I might just focus on playing.

Have to say, turning off map chat in-game (permanently) has really improved my opinion of the community.

The vast majority don't even bother to talk about the games they play on any forums and such. Humans love to complain, especially about video games for whatever reason. So you combine those two and you always get the vocal minority who just loves to act like everyone agrees with them and everyone else is an idiot for enjoying something. As large as the reddit sub is for the game, there's maybe only 10 or so dedicated trolls who bitch about everything. On the official forums, it's the same 100 accounts who complain over and over and over. The official forums were built to keep those people there, they just don't realize it and hopefully never will.

Shiokazu

" It offers nothing different from every other MMO, and in fact is much more shallow in terms of character building and progression. "

... i think someone sold WoW telling him it was guild wars.

also, CONGRATULATIONS PEOPLE, our other thread got a dedicated troll!!!

I'm thinking of giving it to my engineer when I build one. I don't think she has a backpeice yet ether, and well, it makes me feel a bit like Doc Occ.

Ceres

Banned
Can't wait to turn in my sprocket investment. Soar baby soar! Supply dropped by 400k overnight and price is doubled from primetime last night.

Now if only something could finally make leather go up in price.

When i read this
15 Deldrimor Steel Ingot or 15 Bolt of Damask or 15 Elonian Leather Square
as part of the recipe to ascend the new back piece i gave up, gonna make it an exotic and call it quits it's only going on my alt..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crushing pretty hard on this update. Been feeling the itch at the courthouse today... really feel like getting back into LA and checking out some more spots I hadn't re-explored. I cannot stress how much it is silly that anyone view this as a "zerg event." While you can certainly run around in a big ball following twelve commanders, it is more fun and more advantageous for the city to roam in small groups where zergs are not, saving any citizens you come across, attaching to events that don't have crowds, meeting up with other groups and then veering off again. My last run last night we ran around in a full GAF party and it was a blast, and I still stuffed my inventory full of loot. We even took out one of the Elite Aetherblade boss spawns just the 5 of us.

Lots of lovely little touches as well. Love that Urmaug is camped out in Lornar's Pass, the Marionette wreckage, and I'm even way more fond than I expected to be of the Airship over Gendarren. Haven't even seen Heal-o-Tron yet <3

Supposed to try Civ 5 out for the first time tonight with some friends but I'm hoping to get some Escape from LA in before bed.

Levito

Banned
I'm going to be jumping in mumble tonight. Really want to do the Escape from LA event.

If I had a dollar for every reddit poster that started with "I played Guild Wars 2 at lauch and it was meh I quit within two weeks"

Yikes, hope the little future gold farmer is better soon.

It's a sinus infection so she'll be OK. She's just miserable right now because she can't breathe through her nose.

This update is good. I got a chance to check it out at lunch. Very good.

Out of curiosity, how will people complete the personal story? One of my alts is at the level 50 section where you protect LA, I'm curious as to how I can complete that now. I'm not going to complete it. I already did the story once with my main but, I'm curious as to how someone in my position would.

If I had a dollar for every reddit poster that started with "I played Guild Wars 2 at lauch and it was meh I quit within two weeks"
I find those weird because beta and the first 2-3 months of GW2 were the best moments, and some of my top MMO experiences.

My rant of the day:
Then fractals and ascended items came out, which changed meta a bit (for the worse, IMO).
I'm also pro Expac > Living Story system, so when the concept started Jan 2013, I wasn't too happy. Played a few months to check it out (new Elder Dragon ? nope), but the fluff content with missable achievements/items just wasn't for me.
Also, Anet shoving Gem store stuff down our throats got extremely annoying. The first few months was nowhere this bad (and the gold>gem conversion was actually FUN and decent to grind).

As for this LA invasion, when I stopped playing ~6 months ago, we were zerging Pavillion and Aether Pirates when Scarlet got introduced. When I entered LA yesterday (overflow !!), it was a serious Déjà Vu (not the good kind).

/end rant

I find those weird because beta and the first 2-3 months of GW2 were the best moments, and some of my top MMO experiences.

My rant of the day:
Then fractals and ascended items came out, which changed meta a bit (for the worse, IMO).
I'm also pro Expac > Living Story system, so when the concept started Jan 2013, I wasn't too happy. Played a few months to check it out (new Elder Dragon ? nope), but the fluff content with missable achievements/items just wasn't for me.
Also, Anet shoving Gem store stuff down our throats got extremely annoying. The first few months was nowhere this bad (and the gold>gem conversion was actually FUN and decent to grind).

As for this LA invasion, when I stopped playing ~6 months ago, we were zerging Pavillion and Aether Pirates when Scarlet got introduced. When I entered LA yesterday (overflow !!), it was a serious Déjà Vu (not the good kind).

/end rant

You might be very interested to find out what she is drilling the ground for.

Out of curiosity, how will people complete the personal story? One of my alts is at the level 50 section where you protect LA, I'm curious as to how I can complete that now. I'm not going to complete it. I already did the story once with my main but, I'm curious as to how someone in my position would.

The quest marker for personal story missions that take place inside LA, now lead to an NPC that takes you to the 'old' LA mission instance. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, I guess.

Ashodin

My rant of the day:

/end rant

Honestly cravens it sounded to me like you really burnt yourself out VERY quickly.

The quest marker for personal story missions that take place inside LA, now lead to an NPC that takes you to the 'old' LA mission instance. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, I guess.

Makes sense. Especially if LA is to be no more after the living story stuff. Is that the case? No wait, don't tell me....I want to find out on my own when it completes.

Proven

It was a temporary reward, but there are vendors still selling it and you can convert the rewards from the current event into the currency you need to buy it. Remind me later in this thread and I'll walk you through the process (mostly where the involved NPCs are).

Thank you, I'd like that. The NPC wouldn't happen to be in the new Vigil hub, would it?

So, bad news. You can trade for all of the previous festival currencies except for Fortune Scraps which can only be obtained when the Zephyrites come back to Tyria some random time this year. The good news is that the vendor will always be around somewhere, although he'll probably move after the LS Season 1 ends.

This sadly also means that I can't get my Red Rose backpiece yet either. I'm sitting on around 130 Fortune Scraps but need 200. You also need 200 for that other backpiece.

So, after I get the recipes for the Gift of Blades I'll probably be spending any extra surplus on Zhaittaffy since I never did get those holographic wings during Dragon's Bash.

danthefan

Is there any particularly good class/race to start off with? Any starting areas that are significantly better than others?

Is the game still well populated at this point?

Is there any particularly good class/race to start off with? Any starting areas that are significantly better than others?

Is the game still well populated at this point?

If you want the easiest to use. Warrior. It's the most straightforward, but you might get bored. Try Engineer, Elementalist, Thief, and Guardian too.

You'll be using all the starting areas. It's a good idea to go from one to the other, while you're still levelling. I personally like Plains of Ashford and Caledon more than Wayfarers and Queensdale.

Game is still full to the brim with people.

danthefan

If you want the easiest to use. Warrior. It's the most straightforward, but you might get bored. Try Engineer, Elementalist, Thief, and Guardian too.

You'll be using all the starting areas. It's a good idea to go from one to the other, while you're still levelling. I personally like Plains of Ashford and Caledon more than Wayfarers and Queensdale.

Game is still full to the brim with people.

Thanks, will possibly go for something other than Warrior. I did play the game briefly on release as an Engineer but stopped playing for one reason or another, never got very far and can't remember anything now really.

Good to hear it's still got a good player base.

Redownloading this now, haven't played since launch really that much. It's pretty massive and I hate the fact it doesn't indicate size or time remaining.

Tonight at 10pm est, 7pm server time let's try to get as many GAFAlonians into same overflow and spend the whole time just rescuing citizens and not doing the miasma events.

akaoni

Banned
Like I said before in the other thread, you have this persecution complex going on and now even more so. When you post here, you're not posting in a vacuum.

Among other things being said you're even going as far as to victim blame for the entire campaign Arenanet were rolling out with the manifesto which the game pretty much didn't live up to, though that wasn't what did it for me, personally I waited like 6~ years for the game to come out coming from playing Prophecies in May/June '05. Can you say the same? Do you really think everyone is just not 'getting' GW2? The whole victim act is cute and all, but it becomes embarrassing fairly quickly. Guild Wars 2 is not immune from criticism, and most care for the game begins and ends at "it was an MMO with no subscription out of the box", otherwise they would be a lot more honest than they are.

If there's anything specifically about what I've said before bothering you, then fire away, or bury your head in the sand and make quips about people here, I'm not going to lose sleep over it and I will post here again if it's directed at myself in whatever manner. I'm speaking to both of you though mostly one.

Ashodin

Tonight at 10pm est, 7pm server time let's try to get as many GAFAlonians into same overflow and spend the whole time just rescuing citizens and not doing the miasma events.

Except they're tied to each other. If there's tons of us in there we may be screwing ourselves over not doing them.

inter

So, I've played off and on since launch and just realized I'm still in the overflow guild from launch.

Could I have someone invite me to the main guild? :p

inter.9831

Sarcasm

Anybody in guild..that is EST can play around 7 AM your time? I would like to do the event..not solo. I live in Taiwan and 7 AM EST is 8 PM my time..so few hours after is okay too.

Satch

Banned
Trey and Retro held me down and beat me until i lost control of my bladder and made me buy this

i made a character

can i name my bear?

Trey and Retro held me down and beat me until i lost control of my bladder and made me buy this

i made a character

can i name my bear?

Yup. If you open your Pet Management screen (K by default), you can click the little green icon with a quill in it, to name that 'slot'. There are four slots, two for land, two for underwater. It keeps the names you set for those slots. You have to be underwater to rename your aquatic pets and view their attributes and skills.

I only played a little bit of the game last night. Does anyone know if the thumping turrets are still scattered around the world or if they changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom