• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because at anything less than $15 a month, some suit thinks they'll be leaving money on the table because people still pay Blizz $15, so why not their product?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I failed. I was so curious about the context separating the two quotes Atrophis referenced, I looked it up.

I-immediately-regret-this-decision-anchorman.gif

Because at anything less than $15 a month, some suit thinks they'll be leaving money on the table because people still pay Blizz $15, so why not their product?
Is that really all there is to it? That would be failing at such a basic level of understanding a competitive market, I almost can't even accept it. I wasn't even thinking about WoW during that whole post, honest to god. o_O

Is that really all there is to it? That would be failing at such a basic level of understanding a competitive market, I almost can't even accept it. I wasn't even thinking about WoW during that whole post, honest to god. o_O

I can't think of any other reason. There's been an MMO here or there that offered subs for less than 15 (though not much less, we're talking a dollar or two) but nearly every sub model is 15 and for the life of me I can't think of any other reason why.

There can't possibly be a metric or formula they're using. Just seems like they're looking at it as 15 being the standard. The thought process of "any more than that and people won't buy and any less and we're leaving money on the table" is the only thing that makes sense (even though it makes no sense, really).

Atrophis

I failed. I was so curious about the context separating the two quotes Atrophis referenced, I looked it up.

I'm sorry dude :(

It's to rinse as much possible income from the player base before it hits F2P within 12 months. I am sure they know full well it will soon be F2P so why not try and grab a bit of extra coin before they convert it? Why go with a lower fee when people already expect to pay $15 as standard for a MMO sub.

markot

Banned
For less then $15 a month I get all the music in the universe.

ESO is awfulness. I played it for 20 minutes and uninstalled.

Its 29 steps back and just makes you realise how much it isn't an elder scrolls game.

Atrophis

Ok I just learnt the game as four classes...four. That's it.

Classes can only use six skills at a time. Holy shit, people complained enough about the amount of skills you can use in GW2 and somehow six is better now? I have no faith in the MMO player base anymore.

While there wasn’t much for spoilers for this patch, we did learn that the next patch (the maintenance build coming out on March 18th) will include a small bit of story to wrap up season 1 as well as tease what will be coming later. In addition to this small bit of story, this maintenance build in two weeks will be the deadline for the current meta achievements.
From Zam interview with Mike Z.

It looks like we might not get all tied up till 18th update, but most questions we have had from even as far back as Molten Alliance will be answered in this update, according to rest of interview.

Lots of spoilery screens.

Lunar15

I still think TESO is an idea that launched in the peak of WoW's profitability and then snowballed into a "we've invested too much now!" situation where it's on a collision course with a vastly changed market.

We could all be totally wrong and the sheer brand pull of "Elder Scrolls" makes it a fast selling title. I thought thought FFIV: ARR would fall on its face, but it seems to be doing really well. Maybe more companies should invest in making people pay for a shitty version of a game first and then improve it in a second edition so everyone can go "oh, look at how much better it is!" Never underestimate brand pull.

docbon

I'd like to try it but won't pay... what's the good stuff about it?

The quest presentation is kewl. They're more traditional, but fully voiced with some branching storylines, rather than text box info dumps. I also like the crafting, and RvR, a magnitude more than Guild Wars 2. Every area that isn't under the control of Ebonheart Pact ranges from nice to quite beautiful.

At the early stages, the combat doesn't feel as good as GW2 since you don't obtain weapon swap until level 15. I feel the possible builds are just as open ended, however.

atm I feel their biggest issue is their handling of phasing in content, since it means two players in a group can't see each other until they're in the same general state of the storyline. Ironically, the lack of phasing is what makes the public dungeons a mess as well. I do feel like these are problems they can handle before or soon after launch.

The best advice I can offer is to just play it yourself to get an idea of its merits, honestly.

Speculation, after reading Massively article about the update.

Breachmaker (giant drill) will continue drilling for months and we won't know what's going to come out of it till next living story. We will just kill scarlet but we won't be able to stop the drill.

I hope I'm wrong.

Note: Aetherblade enemies across Tyria now have an added chance to drop Blade Shards. This addition to their drop list is permanent.

I suppose there's the answer for anyone who wants to make the ascended item later.

Atrophis

Had a feeling access to Scarlets airship would work like this.

Patch notes make it clear we are going down the rebuild LA route.

Also mention of a new portal we can't access. New zone coming soon? Or new dungeon to fight whatever has been messing with Scarlets mind?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wish they'd wait til I got home again! :p
The best advice I can offer is to just play it yourself to get an idea of its merits, honestly.
I'll play it whenever there's an opportunity to do so without a subscription. Crafting and RvR would be interesting to check out.

Wow like people didn't already have way too many blade shards.

Well the times completion of events seems like it's going to make this a clusterfuck.

I think I'm being extra negative because I'm stuck at work and cannot play right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sounds like the new LA dynamic events take coordination to be able to get up to Scarlet's airship. And I like the vagueness about what you actually find up there. Mmmm could be good stuff.

Anybody seen the Torment weapons yet? edit: New helm and two new rifles as well, interesting.
I think I'm being extra negative because I'm stuck at work and cannot play right now.
No kidding man. Grab a snickers or something.

edit: damn I might need tormented skin or two.

The Torch, Scepter, and Pistol all look tasty for my Mesmer.... hoo boy.

Proven

Best part of the patch notes:

• And players will not stand alone, for Tyria’s heroes have come together and will fight alongside the players—Rox and Braham, Marjory and Kasmeer, and Captain Ellen Kiel and Heal-o-Tron.
Also, I saved some gems, but I wonder if that guild emblem finisher would really look that good with our emblem. I wanted something like this in the game a long time ago but now it feels too late and too simple.

Sounds like the new LA dynamic events take coordination to be able to get up to Scarlet's airship. And I like the vagueness about what you actually find up there. Mmmm could be good stuff.

Anybody seen the Torment weapons yet? edit: New helm and two new rifles as well, interesting.

No kidding man. Grab a snickers or something.

Don't know why the Epilogue needs to be released 2 weeks from now. It just makes whatever we do in this update IE (kill scarlet, maybe) not matter till March 18th.

Atrophis

The way this is set up is really quite annoying. Having to wait for the champions to spawn just to see the new content really sucks. If you can't defeat them all you are stuck sitting around with nothing to do except farm bosses for achievements.

The airship better be good...

Arcteryx

The mini-instance (accessible via the left hand portal with any of the Spinal Blades backpacks) is kind of a let down. But hey, you get pretty nice rewards for zero work, so I guess I can't complain.

Best part of the patch so far is the UI TP update.

docbon

The way this is set up is really quite annoying. Having to wait for the champions to spawn just to see the new content really sucks. If you can't defeat them all you are stuck sitting around with nothing to do except farm bosses for achievements.

The airship better be good...

Yeah, fucking blows.

Also blue knight is bugged and tends to full heal mid-fight, so I'll wait until the hotfix.

Atrophis

Guys you are missing nothing. The bosses are currently bugged so a lot of people can't even make it to the airship. Hotfix incoming apparently. No point in playing now to be honest as there's nothing else to really do outside of the airship.

Jira

Well, I have to say that this update has been fantastic. Great boss fight and even better ending cinematic. Very nicely paced and the whole event tied together really well. Looking forward to the epilogue to see the the outcome of all of this and the cliffhanger to season 2 is SOOOOOOO GOOD.

Arcteryx

Yeah, fucking blows.

Also blue knight is bugged and tends to full heal mid-fight, so I'll wait until the hotfix.

Yea the Blue Knight bugged the first attempt, but we got it the second go around.

I agree though that the 1hr timer is kind of stupid. The in-between stuff is...lacking to say the least(even more so if you've been farming LA for the past 2 weeks). The fight itself is fun, but man...that lead up...ughhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom