• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

I've had a few game crashes recently when in large zergs. Got one during teq two weeks ago and one this weekend when doing karka queen.

Lunar15

Gonna be the grump here. That wasn't very good or interesting.

Excited for what's next, but it's not like I'm more excited now that I've seen this.

Lunar15

It is because it's what you expected and therefore weren't surprised?

That's a big part of it. But also it just felt like it was handled wonkily. It just wasn't that interesting.

Hate to be the first guy to use spoiler tags on this, but here we go:

Scarlet died as she lived: incredibly uninteresting. Her whole plan was to awaken a dragon that was already in the process of awakening due to the dragon cycle? I was expecting at least a little more heft to her backstory, SOMETHING from her mouth that showed why she did what she was doing. It really felt like Anet was like, "Well, ok, let's just wrap this up now and go back to dragons because we have no more ideas for Scarlet." In the end we killed her, but she still achieved her goal anyway. It's like all of her plans: we never get anywhere. It's an empty victory. Just a filler arc for the real story next season.

Maybe I missed a scene or something. :/

docbon

Must have attempted the fights at least five times now, only to end in failure due to bugs at damn near every phase. Awful.

Lunar15

Wait wait wait, that fight had multiple phases?

I was still on the Hologram Prime when we went into the 5-man instance? WTF?

You were partied with someone who's side had already finished, and they went in and dragged you with them. It's a solo instance anyway, no idea why they let five go in.

Ashodin

Yeah you got robbed.

Spoilers:
Hologram Prime splits into three holos, then you fight each three colors, then you fight the Ultraviolet Holo, which Scarlet was controlling herself, and doing so makes her wounded. She then runs away into the center of the ship, which we followed her

Lunar15

I've played this game for a long time and this is the first time I've really felt that it's a buggy piece of shit.

I have no doubt they'll fix it, it's just depressing.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
It didn't bug on my Overflow so I got to do it and holy crap so excited for what's to come and that fight with the holo was amazing and the music was perfect.

Mxrz

No luck here. It bugged out each time I tried. Closest we made it was to the triple holo bit, but the NE platform had like 4 people to the other two's 30-40+. Oh well.

Proven

Yeah you got robbed.

Spoilers:
Hologram Prime splits into three holos, then you fight each three colors, then you fight the Ultraviolet Holo, which Scarlet was controlling herself, and doing so makes her wounded. She then runs away into the center of the ship, which we followed her
Don't forget that you get to wail on her after the Ultraviolet Holo in order to force her into the center of the ship.

That's a big part of it. But also it just felt like it was handled wonkily. It just wasn't that interesting.

Hate to be the first guy to use spoiler tags on this, but here we go:

Scarlet died as she lived: incredibly uninteresting. Her whole plan was to awaken a dragon that was already in the process of awakening due to the dragon cycle? I was expecting at least a little more heft to her backstory, SOMETHING from her mouth that showed why she did what she was doing. It really felt like Anet was like, "Well, ok, let's just wrap this up now and go back to dragons because we have no more ideas for Scarlet." In the end we killed her, but she still achieved her goal anyway. It's like all of her plans: we never get anywhere. It's an empty victory. Just a filler arc for the real story next season.

Maybe I missed a scene or something. :/
I need to watch it again but,
there is a more than 1% chance that the dragon was Zhaitan, and the other scenes showing the magic traveling down the leylines are there to say that other shit was affected too. I mean, why show off Rata Sum?
The epilogue will hopefully clarify what's going on.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Don't forget that you get to wail on her after the Ultraviolet Holo in order to force her into the center of the ship.

I need to watch it again but,
there is a more than 1% chance that the dragon was Zhaitan, and the other scenes showing the magic traveling down the leylines are there to say that other shit was affected too. I mean, why show off Rata Sum?
The epilogue will hopefully clarify what's going on.

That wasn't Rata Sum it was Thaumanova.

Grayman

If they removed a 0 off the end of every single enemy's health pool in the game, it'd be a huge start. They could learn a lot from Diablo III as well - have more fodder that dies practically one-shot (but gives like no loot), and have elites be more... like elites. Interesting area-control mechanics (the Aetherblade Strikers are kind of a start), affixes that let you instantly know what kind of crap you're in for, etc. Everything in GW2 feels like a 1.0, like it's halfway there to being super-great, they just need to totally redo everything with what they've learned.

I'm also thinking of how they could update the UI to better communicate fight mechanics and things like debuffs/buffs, without resorting to a billion tiny icons and fidgety mousehover to see what they do (that part is really bad, expecting players to hover over an icon to see what it means, but then having that icon jump around).
Short term the icons could always have a locked position instead of floating with the number of active effects.

The way conditions and boons have very short lives and are kept in stacks is never going to be conductive to easy understanding.

Hyunashi

Wow, just successfully finished the fight on JQ main after being stuck in terribad overflows with no one in sight. I can only say that it was an underwhelming fight and there really was no difficulty in it
we didnt even get to fight Scarlet in her un-holofied state? lel
. The ending was expected but left my hyped for season 2.

Season 1 is finally done and now, hopefully, the writing for season 2 will improve.

Atrophis

Agree with everything you posted. I like the new boss fights but the final bit of story was not exactly spectacular.

Roll on Season 2.

Why did Scarlet need to wake a Dragon that was already awaken?

We don't know if he was awake. We also don't know if she awoke it. I am under the assumption that the last cutscenes is kind of what scarlet was seeing in her head all this time and what was "controlling her".

I liked the cut scene but I still don't know for sure why she did what she did. I think without the March 18th update we are still left in the dark about what is actually happening. The cutscenes is nice because it leaves us open to speculation but since this was suppose to be the final battle, I wish the march 18th stuff was already in this update.

Wonder if the fight with scarlet will stay throughout the "break" between season 1 and 2. I think it shouldn't because sooner or later people will all have done it at least once and very few will do it more than once and without a big group I don't know how well the fight scales for small groups.

Will we ever know Caithes secret now?

markot

Banned
Maybe it needed a magic energy boost.

I'm pretty sure what we saw was real.

It was very unsatisfying as a fight and story conclusion.

Kinda of strange that all the dragons went to sleep on or underneath the continent of tyria and not other continents as far as we know. I guess there could be more than 6, or maybe last time they awoke there were only beings on the Tyrian continent.

Hyunashi

Kinda of strange that all the dragons went to sleep on or underneath the continent of tyria and not other continents as far as we know. I guess there could be more than 6, or maybe last time they awoke there were only beings on the Tyrian continent.

There was a really nice theory a while ago (a long while I think) on the GW2Guru forums about another elder dragon being in Cantha and that Kuunavang was its champion. Maybe bubbles will have a significant influence in that area of the world when and IF we actually get there.

Godly indeed
The whole battle reminded me of Final Fantasy 6 against Kefka.
And the music... God, I loved all this.

Also spoilers regarding the ending cutscene:

It wasn't yet active, I don't think. She seems to have given it the magical boost needed to really get active though. If it was what was controlling her, she also took care of many of its potential enemies, ie Tyria's defenders.

Retro

Why wasnt the asura chick even there?

Would you let a kid into a place like that? I'm fairly certain the March 18th update will have her up on the drill, hammering away at Scarlet's computers to find out more.

What I took away from the final cutscene was,
she's spent this entire time searching for the perfect location where Dragon and Magic-energy Ley Lines crossed, so that she could drill down and disrupt the flow in order to redirect energy towards a dragon.

From the Thaumanova Fractal:
Scarlet Briar: I told the Inquest chaos energy was a misnomer. Mind you, dragon energy is tricky, so I can see how they flubbed it.
Scarlet Briar: At least they helped identify the network of magical channels that crisscross the globe. That was a breakthrough.
Scarlet Briar: Now we know how NOT to do this kind of research right on an intersection of those channels. Live and learn, right?

Dragons feed on magic, and only awaken when there's too much of it in the world. What Scarlet basically did was look for a sweet spot where the two cross, drilling down to cause the energy from a "Magic" Channel to spill into a "Dragon" channel, causing a surge of magic towards a dragon. More than it would naturally be exposed to.

Would you let a kid into a place like that? I'm fairly certain the March 18th update will have her up on the drill, hammering away at Scarlet's computers to find out more.

What I took away from the final cutscene was,
she's spent this entire time searching for the perfect location where Dragon and Magic-energy Ley Lines crossed, so that she could drill down and disrupt the flow in order to redirect energy towards a dragon.

From the Thaumanova Fractal:
Scarlet Briar: I told the Inquest chaos energy was a misnomer. Mind you, dragon energy is tricky, so I can see how they flubbed it.
Scarlet Briar: At least they helped identify the network of magical channels that crisscross the globe. That was a breakthrough.
Scarlet Briar: Now we know how NOT to do this kind of research right on an intersection of those channels. Live and learn, right?

Dragons feed on magic, and only awaken when there's too much of it in the world. What Scarlet basically did was look for a sweet spot where the two cross, drilling down to cause the energy from a "Magic" Channel to spill into a "Dragon" channel, causing a surge of magic towards a dragon. More than it would naturally be exposed to.
Why would she want to wake another one? Or was she being controlled by him? If he wasn't awake how can he control her? It doesn't make any sense what she could have gained even if we didn't stop her. I doubt the dragon would keep her around.

Retro

Starting to look like the CIA got their hands in this thread. Apologies to anyone who still hasn't finished the current Living Story chapter's storyline and is sick of the redacted look.

Why would she want to wake another one? Or was she being controlled by him? If he wasn't awake how can he control her? It doesn't make any sense what she could have gained even if we didn't stop her. I doubt the dragon would keep her around.

I think her journal makes it fairly obvious that she's being controlled by an Elder Dragon, or something that wants to see an Elder Dragon awake. This is obviously a theory still, but the idea that the Pale Tree is a dragon champion (and the Sylvari dragon minions) would gel here, as champions always awaken before their masters. For example, the Great Destroyer in EotN was Primordus's champion; "Primordus was initially supposed to awaken in 1078 AE, but upon the defeat of its most powerful general, the Great Destroyer, its awakening was delayed by two generations, until 1120 AE." He basically wouldn't need to be awake for his Champion to be up and about. The difference here is, the Pale Tree has been 'corrupted' by Ventari's teachings, but the 'seed' of the elder dragon's control remains in all Sylvari (which would explain the Nightmare Court). There's also more than one tree given Malyck's origin and the fact that the Pale Tree distinguishes itself as "Pale", suggesting the other trees are less light in color (i.e. dark, nightmare trees).

As for what use a dragon would have for 'keeping Scarlet around'? None. He used her like a puppet, in the same way dragon minions are just 'different-colored zombies', even though I hate the idea of her having a tragic angle.
Again, I think the wrap-up next week will deal with her reasons a little more clearly. The Drill isn't going anywhere (you just know Taimi is eager to see what's up there), and all the various members of Destiny's Edge will likely filter back in due to their roles as employer (Logan), teacher (Zojja), commander (Rytlock) and mother (Eir) to check in and push the story further. Caithe has been in the shadows since the Aetherpath was added, though the Spinal Backpack's message ("Caithe, someday you'll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet") obviously keeps her involved, so whatever secret Scarlet was keeping on her will likely spill out soon.

Basically, this was the big 'Yay, we came, we saw, we kicked it's ass!" moment and the next update will be "Okay, shit went down, now what did it all mean?" moment, setting the stage for Season 2 to begin.

The idea of using/controlling Scarlet even though he hasn't awoken is strange and doesn't make sense.

If there is a champion controlling her and not Mordremoth himself then it is kinda shitty we still haven't seen who this is.

Kinda just want to try and not think about lore till 18th because to me it still has way too many plot holes and almost feels like the revelation was shoe horned after all the crying from the fans.

Lunar15

Actually, thinking about it more:

I don't think there are "Dragon Lines" and "Magic Lines", just a bunch of magic lines. What Scarlet realized at Thaumanova is that the blast from them crossing the lines was probably enough to wake up a dragon. It likely had that effect, but we don't know on which dragon. So from then she went about trying to replicate it, perhaps on a bigger scale. It's clear that she was being manipulated by Mordremoth in some way, which is actually kind of a cop-out at this point.

Like with most story points in this arc, I get the feeling they weren't intending to go in this direction, but hastily made some changes once negative feedback came pouring in. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the invasion of Lion's Arch and think that was especially well done, and I even love the final fight against Scarlet (when it works), but they dropped the ball at the crucial moment, in my opinion. I know they'll reveal more in the "aftermath", and a lot of it is supposed to be implied by the additional content like her lair, but in a story like this you kind of have to be up-front about motivations or else events have no weight. It's ok to be vague when it calls for it, but to salvage this plotline they needed to have Scarlet drop some knowledge bombs, but instead relegated it to an (awesome looking) cutscene. The one glory she could have had would have been revealing Mordremoth, but even that was taken away from her. She existed not as a character, but as a plot device, and I was hoping Anet could rise above that.

Ultimately, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape. What we all wanted is coming, and I hope that now that the freshman follies are over, they can go into season 2 with confidence and vision.

The idea of using/controlling Scarlet even though he hasn't awoken is strange and doesn't make sense.

If there is a champion controlling her and not Mordremoth himself then it is kinda shitty we still haven't seen who this is.

Kinda just want to try and not think about lore till 18th because to me it still has way too many plot holes and almost feels like the revelation was shoe horned after all the crying from the fans.

Why does that not make sense? If Slyvari were intended to be dragon minions, somethign the lore hints at, then they are no different than any other minions out there, who can be controlled even if their master is not yet awake. I get the feeling scarlet was doing via technology what the Pale tree was suppose to do naturally.

Of course, that raises the question of what the other trees were doing, unless they were indeed doing this, but the lack of the pale trees involvement was hindering the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom