• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

People keep talking about DH and "videos", I get the feeling I'm missing something. Do they make youtubes for this stuff?

We've bumped up behind them before and they all stand silently for ~15 minutes. When one of them finally responded, he/she commented that they make/ask their members review the Dulfy walkthru. In fact, I believe they let us go ahead of them that time because they were still reviewing the strategy.

Ashodin

We've bumped up behind them before and they all stand silently for ~15 minutes. When one of them finally responded, he/she commented that they make/ask their members review the Dulfy walkthru. In fact, I believe they let us go ahead of them that time because they were still reviewing the strategy.

GAF Guild, we learn by doing

Mxrz

Damask/silk is f'ing expensive.

Bought a lot of silk/cloth. Going to pretty up either my Mesmer or Elementalist with phoenix armor. But can't decide which I'd rather use more.

Retro

The Phoenix, Magitech and Braham armor skins are 20% off today.

GAF Guild, we learn by doing

We were one of if not the first guilds to unlock Guild Puzzles on SBI, and we ended up basically beating the Langmar Estate with no prior knowledge (as I recall, we ran out of time in the last room). We definitely beat it on our second try, all without using a guide, walkthru or anything of that sort (at least, I went in blind, but I'm pretty sure everyone else did too). It isn't an especially hard puzzle, but doing it on the spot with the clock counting down made it an interesting experience.

Sometimes I forget GAFers are gamers first and foremost, and things tend to come easier/quicker to people who grew up controller-in-hand.

Lesson Learned: Don't do Co-op Missions with DH. Everyone else on the server seems to at least acknowledge the benefit of working together and communicating. At one point Kos whispered me something along the lines of "They must think we're telepathic" because map chat was dead and /say was just "YOU R DOIN IT RONG"-type commentary.

/shrug.

I was in a guild 500 strong, if you were inactive for a week you were gone unless you told us about your inactivity, we usually had 200 members(peaked a few times to 370) on from 7pm est to 11pm, guild leader decided to form an Alliance with other guild to help with guild missions, I have never seen a lively guild die so quickly, many people hated it, some left the guild before it happen, after the first night we lost 100+players, because the guild got their mission done and LEFT never helped with our GM and they laugh at us, but my dumb ass guild leader wanted to continue helping, guild was dead in 10 days.

Sometimes I forget GAFers are gamers first and foremost, and things tend to come easier/quicker to people who grew up controller-in-hand.

Personally I credit GAF Guild leadership for setting the tone of experiencing the game and having fun being more important than server-first-no-deaths-you-pulled-the-whelps-50dkp-minus! And pretty much everyone else in the Guild are relaxed enough personalities to be fine with that playstyle. I mean everyone plays the way they want to play, be it using guides or not, but there's no pressure put on other members to play a certain way. I'm positive that's the reason why GW2 has what's got to be the longest running GAF guild in an MMO.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Upgraded my PC last week and I've been itching to play an MMO. These days I'm more of a casual player, so I wanted something that didn't have a monthly subscription and Guild Wars fits the bill quite nicely.

I played the original Guild Wars several years ago and I've heard great things about GW2, so I'm excited to dive in. I usually play ranged classes in RPGs, so I think I'll change it up and play a warrior first.

Creating a character now. I'll whisper an officer when I log in.

Here's my name ID thing. Hawt Pocket.2478

hythloday

I had numerous people PMing me throughout this event to express their feelings, from unhappiness with how DH was going about it, to concerns from them about our people running too far forward, to offers of help from them in case anyone on our end had been left behind, to admonishment about not being able to control my own guild, to concern from our own members about the attitudes being expressed on mumble. I am not exaggerating or using the number as a stand-in for "a bunch" when I say that I had 10 /whisper conversations going on during the chaos of trying to get everyone through, and while I appreciate talking things over rather than letting them fester, I completely stopped paying attention to the puzzle (and missed out on the first completion of the final room), and several of these conversations carried on into our rush.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that, Hawkian! I think I was guilty of venting my frustration a couple times in guild chat, because as others said there was seemingly no communication from DH until they told us we were doing things "wrong," and I remember complaining about that. So I apologize for my comments and possibly making others feel uncomfortable.

I think at least part of what made last night frustrating is that it was a bottleneck that doesn't have to happen forever, and I admit that I'm a little impatient with ArenaNet about the need for additional missions now that a lot of very large guilds have them unlocked and are doing them on Saturday nights. There are only so many challenges and puzzles for people to do, and we've been doing them for about a year now. (I know they'll come eventually, and good things are worth waiting for, but that's just how I feel!) This is a big reason I am starting to miss them once in a while, because I have a general dislike of doing the same activity repeatedly. It's why I refuse to farm for a legendary and only rarely show up to do world bosses, even though they're easy money.

As long as we do missions on Saturday night, big guilds are bound to keep stepping on each others' toes until more events and missions are added to spread out the crowds. Unfortunately, Saturday is the night that the majority of GAFGuild can get together, so I'm not sure that changing our schedule is an option to alleviate this at all, since the result would be people missing out more often.

So, I suppose the best option is for us all to be patient, recognize that this will happen for the foreseeable future, and try our best to be accommodating, helpful and friendly.

Once we're already in it, I don't care who has the best way, I just want everyone to be patient and cooperate, because that's the approach that leads to the least amount of stress. I don't play this game to get stressed out.

#Truthfacts.

Upgraded my PC last week and I've been itching to play an MMO. These days I'm more of a casual player, so I wanted something that didn't have a monthly subscription and Guild Wars fits the bill quite nicely.

I played the original Guild Wars several years ago and I've heard great things about GW2, so I'm excited to dive in. I usually play ranged classes in RPGs, so I think I'll change it up and play a warrior first.

Creating a character now. I'll whisper an officer when I log in.

Here's my name ID thing. Hawt Pocket.2478

Welcome to the game!! I'm logging in now, so I can invite you and it will be waiting when you're ready if someone else doesn't invite you first. Go to the guild window to accept the invite and click "Represent" to be able to see guild chat for GAF. (You can be in multiple guilds, and the Represent button can be used to switch to another one if you need to).

HPhins54

Neo Member
Welcome to the game!! I'm logging in now, so I can invite you and it will be waiting when you're ready if someone else doesn't invite you first. Go to the guild window to accept the invite and click "Represent" to be able to see guild chat for GAF. (You can be in multiple guilds, and the Represent button can be used to switch to another one if you need to).

Awesome. Thanks! I'm stuck on choosing a name. So far the ones I've tried have been taken.

Retro

I was in a guild 500 strong, if you were inactive for a week you were gone unless you told us about your inactivity, we usually had 200 members(peaked a few times to 370) on from 7pm est to 11pm, guild leader decided to form an Alliance with other guild to help with guild missions, I have never seen a lively guild die so quickly, many people hated it, some left the guild before it happen, after the first night we lost 100+players, because the guild got their mission done and LEFT never helped with our GM and they laugh at us, but my dumb ass guild leader wanted to continue helping, guild was dead in 10 days.

Back in the ol' days (I refuse to think of them as 'good'), before The Burning Crusade, I applied to and was accepted to a "hardcore" raiding guild, because that's what seemed to be the best way to play WoW according to the forums. It was militaristic, rigid and incredibly un-fun. I got to go on one Molten Core run (after jumping through a ton of hoops that basically amounted to "Do the legwork of getting people get attuned all week and you can come if so-and-so doesn't show"). I lasted about a week and a half and hated every moment of it.

I think in a lot of ways that experience shaped my impression of MMOs, more than when I actually did raid "hardcore" during late TBC / early Wrath. It was the point where I stopped playing regularly and started taking long breaks, only returning when new content was added and then ducking back out when I felt I had experienced enough. Even though I eventually did raid (though with a nicer group of people), I still believe that raiding is 90% nerd herding (getting everyone to show up and not screw up) and 10% actual skill. When I got stuck with a smaller (but still raiding) guild, the majority of my time was spent doing research and playing politics (picking raid slots, calming down drama queen healers and prima donna tanks, settling personality clashes in a dozen different flavors, etc.). Mega-Guilds, in my opinion, just don't work.

GAFGuild is sort of the exception; a lot of diversity, an outside-community from which members are drawn and a laid back attitude (though the game lends itself to that). I think the game is a big part of why the GW2 guild is easily the biggest and longest-lasting guild on GAF, but a not-insignificant amount is that we enable everyone to do just about everything in the game without forcing anyone to do anything they don't like. The only weak spots we have are WvW (since most people wanted a more hardcore approach, which they found outside the guild) and PVP (if only because every time we try to start an "sPVP Night" or something along those lines, everyone is distracted by the hot new content.

Is the SBI TS down?

Edit: should've checked the MOTD

Yeah, I will update the OT to include the Teamspeak info. I also should probably put the lottery graphic in there. We still use Mumble (since we control it, it is infinitely more reliable than whoever happens to be taking care of TS), but for WvW purposes and such TS is certainly the preferred option according to folks who think that sort of thing is important.

Personally I credit GAF Guild leadership for setting the tone of experiencing the game and having fun being more important than server-first-no-deaths-you-pulled-the-whelps-50dkp-minus! And pretty much everyone else in the Guild are relaxed enough personalities to be fine with that playstyle. I mean everyone plays the way they want to play, be it using guides or not, but there's no pressure put on other members to play a certain way. I'm positive that's the reason why GW2 has what's got to be the longest running GAF guild in an MMO.

Like I mentioned above, the game doesn't really lend itself to that 'hardcore' scene. There's still content that I would consider 'hardcore', but none of it sits in a place that can't be completed in a group or out in the world with a large number of people (Taco, Wurms). Guild Missions are usually easy for us (except when they involve Karka, of course), but I'd say they'd be considered low-end raids in any other MMO. But what's important there is that they're guild missions, which means the whole guild participates rather than just 40 or 20 of us.

I think another big part of this is that most of the officers are MMO vets and know what works and what doesn't. Pushing people around and setting unrealistic goals is a sure way to burn people out. Having rigid schedules and mandatory attendance does the same. We basically run it the way we always wanted guilds to run; everything is laid back, but efforts are still made to do everything (but not at the expense of others). We've probably done Missions every week for a solid year now, and though I'm sure few of us actually need commendations, some people do, and getting together every week as a guild is just fun. I never get tired of seeing everybody come rushing over the hill to the next objective.

Wanted some help with Golem earlier. A few minutes later help arrived. You're all good people.

Any time anything gives anyone trouble, running up the GAF flag is a good way to make sure whatever it is will be shortly overwhelmed and beaten into dust.

True - that I spent 25g trying to win :p So I only actually made 62g. But thanks to GAFguild giving me a good price on Ancient Bones, I saved an extra 30g there, so it all worked out.

25g? It's 1g a ticket and 5 tickets max... oh, right, kickbacks and bribes.

You'll be happy to know that Warriors actually have a nice selection of ranged options; Longbow is heavily-oriented towards AOE damage while Rifle gives solid single-target damage. Both have some nice control options (an immobilized on longbow, a knockback and cripple on rifle) to boot, and Warrior actually has some utility skills if you want a little more (Bolas is a nice one, depending on your build).

There's very little distinction between classes in terms of melee/ranged/caster here. Guardians have a ranged weapon (scepter), Rangers have some melee. Sword Mesmer is melee-ranged, as is Dagger are Necromancers and Elementalists. Everybody does a little of everything.

Edit: Also, I don't know if you saw the OP or not, but GAF plays on Stormbluff Isle (NA).

Awesome. Thanks! I'm stuck on choosing a name. So far the ones I've tried have been taken.

I'm really hoping at some point in the future they do some housekeeping for inactive names. Mostly because I'm sick of somebody squatting on "Retro".

HPhins54

Neo Member
You'll be happy to know that Warriors actually have a nice selection of ranged options; Longbow is heavily-oriented towards AOE damage while Rifle gives solid single-target damage. Both have some nice control options (an immobilized on longbow, a knockback and cripple on rifle) to boot, and Warrior actually has some utility skills if you want a little more (Bolas is a nice one, depending on your build).

There's very little distinction between classes in terms of melee/ranged/caster here. Guardians have a ranged weapon (scepter), Rangers have some melee. Sword Mesmer is melee-ranged, as is Dagger are Necromancers and Elementalists. Everybody does a little of everything.

Edit: Also, I don't know if you saw the OP or not, but GAF plays on Stormbluff Isle (NA).

I'm really hoping at some point in the future they do some housekeeping for inactive names. Mostly because I'm sick of somebody squatting on "Retro".

Interesting to hear. It's nice to know that I can switch up my play style a bit without having to make a new character.

I skimmed through the OT and joined Stormbluff Isle. Finally settled on a name. Now to spend the next 30 minutes messing with options and the UI. I've always been a bit OCD about my UI on MMOs. I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent messing with my UI in WoW when I played that.

Retro

Interesting to hear. It's nice to know that I can switch up my play style a bit without having to make a new character.

I skimmed through the OT and joined Stormbluff Isle. Finally settled on a name. Now to spend the next 30 minutes messing with options and the UI. I've always been a bit OCD about my UI on MMOs. I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent messing with my UI in WoW when I played that.

Apart from moving the chat window, event tracker and mini-map, there's not a lot of moving things around. It's a fairly minimalistic UI, though, so you won't have to worry about sorting a lot of the usual MMO clutter.

I don't know if I'll be able to go on now for guild mission makeups. If people need them they should check with an officer online to see if they will be leading them or at least kicking them off.

Retro

I don't know if I'll be able to go on now for guild mission makeups. If people need them they should check with an officer online to see if they will be leading them or at least kicking them off.

I'm on for sure, Hawkian is on too but I don't know if he'll be here the whole time. Roxie, Mel and Katoki are present as well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
WTF...i would get rid of them, if you can..

They are pretty good for everything... except this.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infi...ld-wars-2-all-the-sudden/td-p/1167348/page/28

It's not just me either.

271 posts, updated every day, and where is the official answer from BT admitting they are responsible? Nowhere.

Gave up playing the game for a while, been back the last few days and it's been running smooth as butter. Until tonight when it went back to the same old **bleep**, logged on at 8pm full on lag, disconnects, everything.

Nope. still having this issue. week 2 now.. i am not paying £45 a month for this Bt. please get it fixed!

ONLY GW2 traffic is affected, ONLY during primetime. on the same pc and hardware all other internet traffic is running normally during the GW2 ONLY lag.

I've been suffering from exactly the same problem...Again only with Guild Wars 2 during peak hours

Shameful. Almost 4 weeks that thread has been going too.

Retro

Somebody at BT must be a WoW fan.
JUWnj.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What are you getting for £45? I'm on Virgin so I've no idea what BT's bundles are.

It's not bad for the price.

When it works.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2
Superfast broadband
Package includes:

BT Sport app and online player
Unlimited wi-fi
BT SmartTalk
BT Parental Controls
BT Home Hub 5
50GB BT Cloud
BT NetProtect Plus
18 month contract
Fibre optic broadband

Up to
76Mb download speed
Up to 19Mb

Weekend calls included
Line Rental

Levito

Banned
Sad that escape from LA is ending on Tuesday, I only did a few runs on Friday night, but it was a lot of fun.

Glad the next content patch is sticking around for longer, my busy schedule makes it hard to get in on every event.

Retro

It ends that soon, marionet seemed to go on forever?!

Guess I won't get my wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rubble piles and such stick around through the next update. They did a similar thing with the Marionette, which stuck around through the Edge of the Mists update.

I guess we'll see Tuesday.

Jira

The rescuing of the citizens will certainly go away as that no longer makes sense since the story needs to progress. As Retro said, the items you can collect will likely stick around.

Retro

The rescuing of the citizens will certainly go away as that no longer makes sense since the story needs to progress. As Retro said, the items you can collect will likely stick around.

Yep. The rubble piles will likely stay as they're part of the on-going destruction of LA, and the enemies will continue to drop Alliance supply bags like they do now. Chances are good we'll still be able to get the materials needed for the wings and such.

Jira

Yep. The rubble piles will likely stay as they're part of the on-going destruction of LA, and the enemies will continue to drop Alliance supply bags like they do now. Chances are good we'll still be able to get the materials needed for the wings and such.

Guaranteed really considering you need 2 items in the next update to truly finish the back piece and make it all glowy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, spent plenty of time tweaking and testing all weekend, did all kinds of stuff, and still have no real idea what the problem is or if it's fixed, but I haven't had a bluescreen since the one sat. morning, got the old drive taken care of, SSD is running great and:
GTX 780SC ready to take on all comers. Performance has been awesome, just hope I'm out of the woods.

r4z4

Hey GAFGuild! Do you guys still run guild mission make-ups at Sunday 3PM EST? I've been neglecting them for months now but want to start running them again.

Thanks. (Pocket Knight)

Shiokazu

not only hawk, im back too. these last days was me VS the literature theory monograph. i conquered it and now im allowed to go back where i trully belong.

or so i thought... since i still have to get my sylvari some armor...

urg...

Ceres

Banned
If only the blade shards weren't account bound. I have something like 3000 sitting in inv. I have so many backpack skins that it's hard for me to justify wasting other resources to finish it. Any chance of them being useful for something else? Otherwise will likely just start trashing them tonight.

Hey GAFGuild! Do you guys still run guild mission make-ups at Sunday 3PM EST? I've been neglecting them for months now but want to start running them again.

Thanks. (Pocket Knight)

Yes they do.

Thanks. (Pocket Knight)
Pocket!

Main guild mission run is Saturday at 9pm EST and make ups in Sunday at 3pm EST (if we do not get enough people for some of the missions we don't run all of then) but lately we have always had good turn out on Sundays with people who need missions and those just willing to help out.

So see you at next missions I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom