• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me in here right now...

gTU5JXH.jpg

Wasn't it
great
when
the thing
did
the thing
and then that
other guy was
whoo and
suddenly all
this other stuff happened
which I
don't want to spoiler
for anyone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was lucky enough not to have any bugs or instability during the time on the Breachmaker and I thought the fights were mechanically pretty awesome. What seemed totally disorienting and inexplicable at first became very straightforward piece by piece with the time limit being just right. By the end of each phase I felt I was making a large impact personally (potentially making up for the presence of multiple people who weren't paying attention) which is satisfying. I also think the style of
open world massive-scale fight leaving the boss weakened to retreat into a small group instance
is a pretty spot-on blending of some of the in-game storytelling techniques employed throughout the season so far, and I found it effective. As with most gameplay content I like in this game, I look forward to repeating it a handful of times and improving personally, while helping newer people get through.

Story presentation and implications I'm split

Good
Awakening the next Elder Dragon is an appropriate season-ending cliffhanger. Mordymoth might not be my first choice but I'm intrigued because we know so little.
Maguuma (especially the Wastes) looks like a rich area of the continent to open up for exploration.
Rox, Braham, Kas, Jory, and even the recently introduced Taimi have clear motivations, their involvement feels appropriate, and against all odds I really like them all.
Scarlet is dead, for real dead.

Bad
No reveal on what Scarlet saw or Caithe's secret. Possible something will come on the 18th, who knows.
No one died. It feels morbid to consider this a "missed opportunity." But when Jory was knocked out, I really felt myself wishing that she'd survived- only to get that catharsis seconds later, rather than having the feeling fully exploited by killing her or someone else off. They have achieved the considerable task of getting me to remember and care about characters in an MMO; it's time to show the stakes.

Questions
Zhaitan's awkakening cause an entire continent to rise from the ocean- what effects will Modremoth have? I really want to see some kind of effects throughout all of Maguuma in the off-season and I'm worried we won't get anything. Maybe all the oakhearts going crazy or certain forests becoming inhospitably poisonous.

What will be changed in-game from this patch to the 18th epilogue patch? I really hope LA, even if still a dangerous open zone and the drill is still there somehow, has some changes reflected. I know it's going to be a small update but I hope we get a tease of how things will be progressing too.
And new zones. Come on Anet, lets get this huge map fleshed out already.
All but guaranteed. Bank on permanent zone additions in season 2.

Lunar15

Tons o' black bars

On Season 2's primary villian:

Technically, the effects of Modremoth have already taken place: The maguuma jungle was sapped completely dry and is now the Maguuma Wastes. This is why I'm a little weirded out that Scarlet woke him up, because going by existing lore, he was already in the process of rising. Technically, all of the dragons have begun to stir in some way, and that caused all of the current disasters we're dealing with today. Maguuma becoming the Wastes, The flooding of the north and the destruction of the Kodan homeland, the Brand in the east, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On Season 2's primary villian:

Technically, the effects of Modremoth have already taken place: The maguuma jungle was sapped completely dry and is now the Maguuma Wastes.
Well we really have nothing concrete to go on as to how or why that happened yet :p

Do you guys want the breachemaker fight to stick around after the 18th update?

I think it should not, and it should be mostly events relating to people trying to figure out how to turn the drill off (which will fail).

The breachemaker can stay and i guess all the alliances but I find it strange that people will be fighting scarlet for months.

I think it should not, and it should be mostly events relating to people trying to figure out how to turn the drill off (which will fail).

The breachemaker can stay and i guess all the alliances but I find it strange that people will be fighting scarlet for months.
IF the city is rebuilt, it would be cool if parts form aetherblade ships, the drill, the marionette, etc, are used as raw materials.

I get the feeling that the alliances will stick around, though at a reduced presence in the world. Enough that certain raw materials are still in the economy, but not much else, less they somehow play into season 2, which I doubt.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fight should absolutely not stay past the 18th update. After that date,
Scarlet is dead, canon, as far as I'm concerned. The update itself and the offseason will be the time to rebuild, with the ominous threat of what's to come looming over the quiet.

Atrophis

I guess the drill will deactivate on 18th. The end of the story instance has you rushing to escape as the thing starts blowing up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hey guys, how's the GAFGuild holding up in terms of activity and membership? I read a few pages back and see that some of you are still doing missions together.

Just curious, I picked this up last week but have yet to get started, but I'll be looking the guild once I get started!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Some of us. Pfft. ;)

Welcome! Just post your Account or Character name for an invite. Are you on Stormbluff Isle/in NA at least?

Best is to Zerg each one instead of splitting once she splits into 3.

Did that, but people die quickly, they seem to think Zerker armor can survive, I am part cleric and PVT guardian and get hit for 6-8k at times with all that toughness, imagine someone with no defense..these battles are not intended for stupid zerker players..

Sooo close to my Legendary, I can't believe it. All I need now is 250 Crystalline Dust (50g) and 94 Onxy Lodestones (63g), and I'm done.

Well, except for the precursor, but that's 300g and was always going to be 'endgame' anyway.

I started about... five or six months ago, I think. Hell of a long road, when you do it right and don't just, I dunno, exploit a 500 person guild to get you the mats, or just buy it all with real money.

Kristen should watch her back.

Sooo close to my Legendary, I can't believe it. All I need now is 250 Crystalline Dust (50g) and 94 Onxy Lodestones (63g), and I'm done.

Well, except for the precursor, but that's 300g and was always going to be 'endgame' anyway.

I started about... five or six months ago, I think. Hell of a long road, when you do it right and don't just, I dunno, exploit a 500 person guild to get you the mats, or just buy it all with real money.
Ask for materials when Arken is on. When I crafted mine I got all my mats from him and he never let me pay him back.

Good luck, next month will make a year since i got mine, love my Juggernaut, like you i decided to get one without the Pre, what a horrible mistake few hundred gold later and over 1200 hammers in the Forge i finally got Colossus...

Retro

The fight? No. The actual drill itself? Sure, especially if the Orders or Lionguard step in and investigate it. That way anyone who happens to find themselves in the zone can get caught up on what exactly happened and what's going to happen next.

Also, based on that last cutscene,
I'm not sure there will be a zone with the drill in it anymore. That was a pretty big explosion.

Hey guys, how's the GAFGuild holding up in terms of activity and membership? I read a few pages back and see that some of you are still doing missions together.

Just curious, I picked this up last week but have yet to get started, but I'll be looking the guild once I get started!

We just removed everyone who was inactive since August, and we're over 400 members again. Still about 20-30 nights, close to double that on the weekends / update days. Missions are run every Saturday night at 9pm Eastern.

As Hawkian mentioned, for optimal GAF-interaction, you'll want to roll on Stormbluff Isle (NA). Beyond that, there's my Beginners tips in the OP (right at the top) and you can quote that post to get our Mumble information (you don't need to speak, but listening in during missions will help substantially).

So should you!

Sooo close to my Legendary, I can't believe it.

Which Legendary you going for? I'm sorry to say that none of the current Legendaries really suit me (after so many years of effects-laden whiz-bang fantasy swords, I actually prefer more realistic stuff like Bonetti's Rapier), and which ones sort of did turn me off by how common they are. It's sort of the same thing with commander tags, I guess. You don't need to be a leader to have one, just have a lot of disposable income.

So how much longer you think we should keep using the spoiler tags?

Most people who use this thread, play game regularity or are starting new so the spoilers wouldn't make much sense.

Looks like I got a twitter feud going on with a celebrity.

Which Legendary you going for? I'm sorry to say that none of the current Legendaries really suit me (after so many years of effects-laden whiz-bang fantasy swords, I actually prefer more realistic stuff like Bonetti's Rapier), and which ones sort of did turn me off by how common they are. It's sort of the same thing with commander tags, I guess. You don't need to be a leader to have one, just have a lot of disposable income.
Certain legendaries work better for different classes. The longbow is great on a ranger, but doesn't mesh that well with a warrior (except sylvari). The dagger is great for an elementalist (maybe a ranger) but it doesn't fit with thieves or necromancers.

And yeah, commander tags shouldn't cost gold at all. They should require a measure of dungeon tokens (maybe 250 from each) or wvw tokens to indicate the experience necessary to be an effective commander.

Levito

Banned
Are there any Guild Wars 2 youtube channels for useful information/news that you guys would recommend? I've already followed Bog Otter, but he does more Wildstar coverage than anything these days. >.<

Mxrz

We tried 3-4 times yesterday. Each attempt bugged out. That took the wind out of my sails for the update. I'll try again in a few days.

Can't say I'm that fond for the "GW2 guys" I've seen on youtube. Almost all of them are about farming, or complaining about ANet. I don't think there's any GW2 site you need beyond Dulfy. Lady/team is completely on the ball when it comes to updates and stuff.

Lunar15

Are there any Guild Wars 2 youtube channels for useful information/news that you guys would recommend? I've already followed Bog Otter, but he does more Wildstar coverage than anything these days. >.<

I've liked Wooden Potatoes. He's good for lore stuff. He's pretty unbiased and his views line up with mine a lot. He also does great recaps on the living story if you've missed anything.

You will know more about GW2 news/information by following this thread or coming online on mumble to chat with us then from any youtuber.

Wooden Potatoes is good for lore and speculation. He knows the game pretty well. The Relics Of Orr podcast is pretty good, but still they only seem to have 1 guy who knows his shit and the rest...are filthy casuals.

kiriin

Wooden Potatoes is lore heavy but he still goes over news, patch notes ,etc. Matt Visual and WP also host a podcast about gw2 related news, info, discussion.

Wooden Potatoes is lore heavy but he still goes over news, patch notes ,etc. Matt Visual and WP also host a podcast about gw2 related news, info, discussion.

Matt Visual on the VisualWood podcast is quite annoying and from the way he talks and even after 1 year and half of playing this game he still has no idea how to play.

Last one...he was saying ANET should bring back "events to the game, like they had when the game came out". He is under the impression that ANET reduced the number of events in the open world.

Levito

Banned
I think I saw a video from Wooden Potatoes before, was kind of turned off cause he was slamming the two week updates in it.

You will know more about GW2 news/information by following this thread or coming online on mumble to chat with us then from any youtuber.

For sure! More was looking for something to check out over my lunch. :p

Engineer's got not good legendaries. Predator is eh, Quip is omg no, so all that's left is the Flameseeker Prophecies shield. Going for that if only to have a legendary.

I am wrong as usual.
We had to do one at a time earlier as there weren't enough people and it worked just fine, if there were enough people to kill them about the same time the mini wouldn't be a problem anyway.
Got pretty lucky, we won the first time I participated. Really enjoyed the ending, even though I don't know the characters that well having started playing relatively recently.

Retro

Kos, stop teasing the elder dragon or so help me, I am turning this guild around.

Engineer's got not good legendaries. Predator is eh, Quip is omg no, so all that's left is the Flameseeker Prophecies shield. Going for that if only to have a legendary.

Fact: The Hunter is cooler-looking than the Predator. Personally, I'd wait until they implement precursor crafting, the scavenger hunt and/or new legendaries. Why settle for one that's just okay when there's so much time and effort spent on it?

Kos, stop teasing the elder dragon or so help me, I am turning this guild around.

Fact: The Hunter is cooler-looking than the Predator. Personally, I'd wait until they implement precursor crafting, the scavenger hunt and/or new legendaries. Why settle for one that's just okay when there's so much time and effort spent on it?

Because I've just spent half a year getting to this point, to just stop now would feel really bad, after having spent all that time, effort and gold. Besides, I've given up on the scavenger hunt thing. And they'll only add an awesome new pistol legendary, after I've gotten a legendary. That's how things work. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom