• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally back from my ban. I'll definitely never be rude to anyone again. Still with the girlfriend during her spring break though, so I'll be back on Saturday night.

And I think I'm ready to say now that I've made it this far, tomorrow I have an interview with ArenaNet. At 3 PM PST. Wish me luck!

Good luck.

PS. Do not be a stranger once you get a job.

I didn't have any crashes when I tried the event last night but my group only got the hologram to 25% before the time ran out. Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be like Marionette where most attempts end in failure?

I was having a lot of trouble judging the location of the projectile with the Shortbow #2 on my Thief. Cluster bomb tends to get lost with a ton of flashy stuff going on.

mine is very idiot proof, want to give it a try?.

Sure - I have no idea what I'm doing with melee characters. I don't know how people play them in GW2, considering the instant there's more than five people throwing effects, you're just looking at skills and HP to see how you're doing, not your character.

I didn't have any crashes when I tried the event last night but my group only got the hologram to 25% before the time ran out. Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be like Marionette where most attempts end in failure?

I was having a lot of trouble judging the location of the projectile with the Shortbow #2 on my Thief. Cluster bomb tends to get lost with a ton of flashy stuff going on.

I don't know if most attempts will end in failure but, last night we had one that was somewhat un-coordinated and it failed and another where it was pretty coordinated and we had a lot of chatter going on and we got to scarlet with more than 5 minutes left. I can see it being very much like Tequatl was. If you work together and know what you're doing you'll beat it. If you don't you don't have a chance in hell.

Complistic

Sure - I have no idea what I'm doing with melee characters. I don't know how people play them in GW2, considering the instant there's more than five people throwing effects, you're just looking at skills and HP to see how you're doing, not your character.

They probably turn on effect LOD.

Guys, I have tried to get into Guild Wars, but I just cant. I struggle with the fact that weapon skills are topped out around level 10. I want to like the game, but I find it limiting. Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks, definitely not trolling.

Trey

Fun.

BWE said:
gw0054uxfy.jpg
Now said:

Guys, I have tried to get into Guild Wars, but I just cant. I struggle with the fact that weapon skills are topped out around level 10. I want to like the game, but I find it limiting. Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I looking at it wrong?

It's a common sentiment from people who can't get into the game. By now though, you won't find any one that plays often who hasn't made peace with the weapon skills.

They probably turn on effect LOD.

Even with that on (which it's been on for me since the setting was added), it's a mess up-close to something.

GW2 is more about player skill than skills. They give you most of the tools you need early on, so you can learn how to use them properly, when to swap out your utility skills for upcoming fights, etc. I'd say, just keep going - and try not to think of GW2 as a conventional MMO. You need to approach it with Beginner's Mind, learn what it's trying to be, not what you think it is. There's a lot more freedom in GW2's systems than might be apparent initially.

You may also not be meshing with the class you're playing, so I suggest trying the others too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It's definitely a common compliant, especially from long-time MMO players, from two fronts- both that there just aren't enough weapon skills, since they don't change from the beginning to the end of the game, and that only having 10 weapon skills (for most classes) is too limiting.

It's tricky to explain because I can objectively see how this would seem limiting if you're used to having access to 30 skills at the same time, all of which might be considered necessary.

But for me, equipping a weapon in GW2 is a lot less like "choosing those 5 skills for my bar" and more like choosing a character from a fighting game select screen. Because the order of the skills is tied to this choice, the fact that the "moves" you have are always the same is an asset, not a limit- it allows you to develop muscle memory and play with skill first and skills second. Correspondingly, weapons are a lot less like something that represent certain types of skills for any class (as it might in other RPGs) and more like different play style options within each class. A ranger and a guardian have little in common when using a greatsword, and neither resemble a greatsword mesmer whatsoever.

Because of all of this, a real key to enjoying the game is finding the right class, followed by the right weapon loadout, that suits your individual tastes. Unless a class is actively disinteresting to you, seriously try them all as a part of this process until you find one that clicks. You want the experience of just going out and engaging in combat to be fun. For me it feels closer to a character action game than to something like a traditional roll-based RPG- I even play with a gamepad.

Lunar15

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Now that my hiccups have subsided and Scarlet is gone I do believe identifying this E friend of yours is our next objective <a href="https://twitter.com/MarjoryDelaqua">@MarjoryDelaqua</a></p>&mdash; Kasmeer Meade (@KasmeerMeade) <a href="https://twitter.com/KasmeerMeade/statuses/441614569719734272">March 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hu! I want to ask Peck if these are legit.

I kind of hope not. It was cute to have one for Scarlet, but to have more than that is kind of silly.

Forget the skills the true fun is in the trait system, you can bring out the best in your character or worst if you don't give a damn and just throw the trait points around with no care in the world, you can go for all damage and forget defense, or you can attune yourself to be more balance, my main character is a TANK...

Lunar15

Anyone notice that they stopped doing the story bits on their website to accompany LS releases? I didn't mind them in theory, but they did start leaning on them as a story crutch.

Shiokazu

there you go, just copy the lines and you should be good. if you need further explaining just ask.

cEWAF1a.jpg

for weapons and gear... eh, i dunno, you could go messing around with any kind of weapon, and if you're not wielding any melee weapon at all you could swap warrior's spirit for something else, or invest those points in another line maybe?

i use cleric's for my armor right now, and weapon... im yet to think. trinkets i say it could be soldier for optimal survival. anything that gives you more armor gives you more power too, so... if you look for stats, try to pick things that have power and toughness

about meleeing... not exactly, if you look at your screen, it flashes red the more wounded you are, so the HP issue is not really a thing.

the skills...... ok i agree with you here, takes a LOT of time to get used not to play looking at those.

im used to play at melee range.

there you go, just copy the lines and you should be good. if you need further explaining just ask.

Thanks. I'm running around dual axes right now, which I know will get me laughed at by the "community", but I'm enjoying it. It's just taking some getting used to melee - 2000 hours of playing *only* at range, this kind of change is quite big for me.

As for levelling this warrior, I totally overthunk it. In my rush to level, I forgot that the best way to level is to just play. Relax, and the game will take care of it for you. Two levels in under an hour, and more once dailies reset. Fixating on levelling is putting the cart before the horse, in this game.

Shiokazu

Thanks. I'm running around dual axes right now, which I know will get me laughed at by the "community", but I'm enjoying it. It's just taking some getting used to melee - 2000 hours of playing *only* at range, this kind of change is quite big for me.

As for levelling this warrior, I totally overthunk it. In my rush to level, I forgot that the best way to level is to just play. Relax, and the game will take care of it for you. Two levels in under an hour, and more once dailies reset. Fixating on levelling is putting the cart before the horse, in this game.

naah, i dont even know wich weapon i should be playing. i picked up the greatsword for the lulz i guess, i want to try the rest of the weapons, see how they play. this warrior for me is as much as yours if for you, a change of pace.

Dual wielding can be really good if you spec for it. I run a sword/axe combo on my warrior for some melee and it's done pretty well for me.

But for me, equipping a weapon in GW2 is a lot less like "choosing those 5 skills for my bar" and more like choosing a character from a fighting game select screen. Because the order of the skills is tied to this choice, the fact that the "moves" you have are always the same is an asset, not a limit- it allows you to develop muscle memory and play with skill first and skills second. Correspondingly, weapons are a lot less like something that represent certain types of skills for any class (as it might in other RPGs) and more like different play style options within each class. A ranger and a guardian have little in common when using a greatsword, and neither resemble a greatsword mesmer whatsoever.

And a Staff Mesmer plays completely different from a Greatsword Mesmer. It helps to think of it as 30 skills spread over (x) weapons as opposed to 30 skills at once. Yes, you don't have access to everything at once, but that's part of the game - choosing the right setup depending on the situation. If anything I think other MMO's have too many buttons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And a Staff Mesmer plays completely different from a Greatsword Mesmer. It helps to think of it as 30 skills spread over (x) weapons as opposed to 30 skills at once. Yes, you don't have access to everything at once, but that's part of the game - choosing the right setup depending on the situation. If anything I think other MMO's have too many buttons.
The fact that I can effectively play every class, even in some of the most difficult content and PvP scenarios, with a gamepad is a testament to this.

(The only one I haven't tried is warrior but I imagine it would be one of the simplest.)

Retro

Hey, that's actually a neat idea. Too bad so many of my characters changed wildly from Beta to Live, but I still have the first "Dhalion" and his later, permanent descendant;
Beta said:
Today said:
Man, Beta Dhalion looked MEAN.

Anyone notice that they stopped doing the story bits on their website to accompany LS releases? I didn't mind them in theory, but they did start leaning on them as a story crutch.

It was a terrible way to tell a story occurring in game. ANet didn't fuck it up quite so bad as 343 did with Halo 4, but it was still the absolute worst way to tell a story, especially back story when motivation is so essential.

Thanks. I'm running around dual axes right now, which I know will get me laughed at by the "community", but I'm enjoying it.

Nothing wrong with Dual Axe. 1 hits like a truck, 2 is useful for stacking vulnerability on a lot of foes at once, and the ranged cripple on 3 is nice. 4 can be combined with "For Great Justice!" to grant perma-Fury, and 5 is a 360 degree attack that dumps a fuckton of damage and you can move / dodge while executing it. Plus three of those are combo finishers.

Ain't a thing wrong with dual axes. The only reason I don't use them is because I have a bleed-oriented build and I'd miss the sword's leap. If your second weapon choice has a leap or you just don't mind not having one (I always keep either Longbow or rifle as a backup), rock on with the axes.

Ain't a thing wrong with dual axes. The only reason I don't use them is because I have a bleed-oriented build and I'd miss the sword's leap. If your second weapon choice has a leap or you just don't mind not having one (I always keep either Longbow or rifle as a backup), rock on with the axes.

Half the reason I use dual axes, is for the leap (the F1 skill). I find it super-awesome to see, so I keep using it. But reading online, you'd think dual axes was the bearbow of Warrior. "Utterly useless" "Would not invite to pug" "1/10 would not play with" kind of attitude. :p

EDIT:

Two additional things I realized I personally like about GW2:

1. All races can be all classes.
2. No "factions" that enforces certain races, and stops people from talking to or grouping with each other.

Proven

I don't know about you, but as a Charr I sometimes kinda want to step on a race or two. Especially Asura.

Also, an ANET dev posting on Something Awful just said that the company doesn't run the Mordremoth twitter account.

Well that sucks.

Okay, let’s do this. Here are all of the accounts run by us here at ArenaNet:
@GuildWars2
@GuildWars2_ES (Spanish-language)
@GuildWars2_FR (French-language)
@GuildWars2_DE (German-language)
@ArenaNet
@GuildWars
@GuildWars_FR (French-language, inactive)
That’s the whole list. Any account not on this list is not an official ArenaNet account and not something that we contribute to.

Time to unfollow all these RPers.

I thought both Lord Vanquish and Scarlet were posting vines of the trailers/updates before they were released.

Maybe it is someone in the press who gets to see stuff early.

Retro

I had always assumed they weren't "Official" ArenaNet accounts, but that someone in the company had permission to basically generate word of mouth through character accounts. Somebody in the company gets to goof off and be funny on Twitter and that, in turn, serves the company by letting them talk things up without it being 'promised'.

My reasoning was always that we'd have heard something about them before hand since whoever is doing this is using ArenaNet's IP to say whatever they want (which could be an issue PR wise). The fact that the names aren't "TheRealScarlet" or some variation, but are actually the real names means someone knew far in advance to get them.

/shrug

oktarb

here's your depressing thought of the day:

I was one run away from collection Heirlooms to get my Horns when I got served divorce papers and sleeping on the floor at a friends house. No horns, no wife and half a pay check.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I was one run away from collection Heirlooms to get my Horns when I got served divorce papers and sleeping on the floor at a friends house. No horns, no wife and half a pay check.
um, damn, man. This was out of nowhere? Hang in there...

Mxrz

Yes and no. Weapon skills and utility skills don't advance. Your skills as a player will in terms of timing, dodging, and abusing fields. On the other hand, if you just want to press 2 and do 20,000 damage as a warrior, that works too. Its mostly a question of how much you want to put in.

So there's more depth to things, but its not strictly required for most pve or wvw karma trains.

And yeah. Those twitter accounts aren't from anyone at ANet. I'd guess some TC roleplayers. Seen it happen to other games, so apparently its a thing. The King of Fighters accounts were just weird.

oktarb

um, damn, man. This was out of nowhere? Hang in there...

Checks been in the mail for a long time but the ending went off like an adam bomb. My spirits are high considering. New beginnings and all. the hard part is she's using my daughter as a weapons so that hurts but I have to keep thinking long term picture. So tell ArenaNet no truly awesome content for the next month or two.

Mxrz

Not sure if the community thinks the dual axes are bad, so much as the warhorn & mace are so useful, and Axe-1 (and GS-2) sorta cover all the damage you need for CoF.

Checks been in the mail for a long time but the ending went off like an adam bomb. My spirits are high considering. New beginnings and all. the hard part is she's using my daughter as a weapons so that hurts but I have to keep thinking long term picture. So tell ArenaNet no truly awesome content for the next month or two.

You might be in luck there. With the end of the LS, the next couple of updates will be PvP-related, right? * Or not. But either way probably won't be limited time content.

Retro

Fuck, man. Hang in there and don't let whatever nastiness / underhandedness that may occur rub off on you (I'm guessing from the way you describe things, she's kind of being malicious about it). Without going down a long, winding tangent, when my folks split my dad started off extremely generous, supportive and fair but by the end of it my mother's behavior had made him extremely hostile and bitter. I'm going to guess your daughter is quite a bit younger than my brothers and I were (we were all adults), so for her sake try to at least keep up appearances and don't give in to the temptation to be spiteful and nasty. Even if she doesn't get it now, someday she'll understand.

You might be in luck there. With the end of the LS, the new couple of updates will be PvP-related, right?

After the next update, there's going to be some period without any content, then a "Features update" that supposedly has cool stuff in it. No idea when Season 2 begins. I don't think the updates are PVP-specific but a balance update always impacts that part of the game more than the others, honestly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, way to keep your chin up. Like Retro said, stick to the high road here- don't let yourself slip into behaviors that can be used to paint a picture against you and long term you'll be better off as will your relationship with your daughter. If you need to rant or anything feel free to send me a PM.

Shiokazu

we're here for you man, count with the guild! We're not just internet strangers anymore, if you ever need to talk to someone, or to let angers go, we are there for you, at least i put myself on the disponible rooster.

keep strong ok? and like retro said, dont give in to nasty kinds of behavior, if she strikes with sticks and stones, throw flower petals back. gotta stay with high-morale and walk away with grace.

Ashodin

I thought that shot was well done. Very creepy.

Very creepy indeed. Especially when the cutscene shows what happens after that, as if her words were exactly right.

dACvNoJ.png

Finally put together a group shot of my favorite sets of gear that I've worked hard to coordinate. Each one fits thematically with either a Living Story release, or is just pretty cool looking.

Am I missing something?

I got into Lion's Arch. We took out the three knights. They didn't drop anything.

Then we went through the portal. And did a fight. Which, admittedly, was epic.

No rewards there either.

Then we dealt with Scarlett. I came this close to a cheezement. :-/

No chest?

It seems odd, considering how much loot rained from the skies in the prior event.

There are other events going on in Lion's Arch but the players seem to be ignoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom