• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the overflow guild that was used when the game launched because we had more than 500 people and GAF filled up. Eventually as people stopped playing, everyone who was still active was able to get an invite to GAF.

We MIGHT end up using it for people coming back for HoT, but personally I'm not really sure for how long. We were at 488~ members the other day, so all it takes is another couple handfuls of returning players to hit the cap.

oh yea

Looks like I'll need 3 guilds to get a chance to see all the guild mission because GAF has to cater to the lowest common denominator (guildies that only play PvE).

I thought guild missions were because people want to hang out together, so we should be able to have fun with which ever game mode we get.

Going with PvE only, guildies who want to play the other missions sometime might need to set aside addition guild mission times because thier main Guild (GAF) doesn't run those missions.

We finally get more choice in guild missions and we are going to decide to ignore it. I don't think that is right.

usea

Lots of news / info / stuff trickling out today;
this actually happened to me and my ex during the BWE 3. She didn't get credit for the first story mission when we did it together and we couldn't figure out why. She never finished the mission thing in the silverwastes instance it starts you in. She had to go to those two things all over again.

Rawk Hawk

Yeah, we're gonna have to see how things work before we decide, but based on our open approach to WvW it may not work when our members are scattered across various worlds. I know we have a lot of people who regularly sPVP though, so maybe we'll switch to a mix of that and PVE.

We could also, theoretically, use GAFO for PVP missions or something. I mean, the guild has a lot of upgrades and we're going to be sinking time into it for the second hall choice, so... it's an option, I guess.

I want to see how everything works before we make a decision.

I'll dog pile on this idea, I really like it. I spend most of my time in PvP these days, really only doing PvE when the stars, moon, planets, and all known galaxies in the universe happen to all line up and I can make it to a guild event.

So, while I probably can't make it to Guild PvP events either, that does sounds like it would be a lot of fun to do, so having GAFO running them at least occasionally would be awesome.

On that note (if this ever becomes a thing), Watari.1037 could use a GAFO invite, lol.

We finally get more choice in guild missions and we are going to decide to ignore it. I don't think that is right.

True, ignoring the new features does seem wrong on some levels, but I can understand some players not wanting to PvP. It kind of depends on what the missions are, being that we normally have a lot of people on for missions, and only 5 fit on a PvP team, I'm curious to see how it will all work. But since it's going to all be new, I don't see an issue using the overflow to figure it all out. Not everyone is a savvy PvP'er like you, they can't all carry me.

hythloday

Looks like I'll need 3 guilds to get a chance to see all the guild mission because GAF has to cater to the lowest common denominator (guildies that only play PvE).

I thought guild missions were because people want to hang out together, so we should be able to have fun with which ever game mode we get.

Going with PvE only, guildies who want to play the other missions sometime might need to set aside addition guild mission times because thier main Guild (GAF) doesn't run those missions.

Not everyone is on Stormbluff Isle. Whoever isn't on SBI will miss out on WvW automatically. When megaservers launched, people transferred off SBI for WvW because it made guesting to SBI a non-issue for PVE missions.

That aside, I think we're all just theorizing right now. We have to see how it works before deciding anything.

Proven

For once I'm with Kos on this one. I know that multiple guild chat is supposed to make it alright, but something doesn't quite feel right about it.

But I fully expect to be drowned out by the majority. Especially considering the possibility of the majority of PvE primary being so large that they're a major number in the overflow guild as well.

Spyware

Everyone can PvE so that seems to be the most logical choice for main missions.
Everyone can't WvW (because we're on different servers) and some (like me) really don't feel comfortable with PvP at all.

The notice about there being no PvE missions this week is worrying, even tho they say it's because we don't have all slots unlocked. But getting no PvE missions for like 2 weeks because the guild wanted all types would suck a LOT for people who can't join the other types.

The WvW issue is a real problem that we can't fix, so "ignoring" that content might be the easiest option. Most WvWers probably have a WvW guild to do WvW missions with too, right?
The GAFO PvP mission idea is perfect for people who wanna play that type only or both types, so we're not ignoring that if we go that route :/

Fishious

I think going with PvE missions on GAF and sPvP or WvW missions on GAFO (with maybe the occasional event on GAF doing the others) is probably a good way to go. I'm starting to get into sPvP so I wouldn't mind those, but I understand not everyone wants to PvP. And I'm not on SBI so I couldn't join in for WvW. While I could transfer over my IRL friends are on the same server as me (and we WvW occasionally) so I'd probably be footing the bill for the 4 of us. I doubt many people are in my exact situation, but there are many different circumstances in which someone might want/have to stay on their current server and any week GAF rolled WvW missions they would be excluded. I haven't actually checked the whole guild roster so I have no idea how many others are on non-SBI servers.

If people really want to do WvW mission with majority of the guild, we can help transfer them. They might even start liking that part of the game, because they would do it with the guilds.

Players who moved to other servers or are in other servers probably, a. Don't WvW or b. Are in a WvW guild in that server and can join them, when we roll a WvW guild mission, c. We can help them come back to SBI if they want.

Also WvW will at some point be about guild alliances and not servers so this might not be an issue on the future.

Similarly with PvP, we can do custom arenas so we teach people how to pvp and they can just face other GAFers so it won't be annoying.

Like Proven said I'm probably in minority so what I will say won't matter anyway.

Proven

Tangentially, how do WvW missions work? Are they only redeemable on the home server of the guild? If not, as long as you had two other friends in the guild on that server you could still complete a mission, theoretically.

Spyware

Also WvW will at some point be about guild alliances and not servers so this might not be an issue on the future.
But then we can just start doing WvW missions in the future, right? :)

Similarly with PvP, we can do custom arenas so we teach people how to pvp and they can just face other GAFers so it won't be annoying.
That wouldn't help me. I would still find it annoying and not fun. I'm just not a PvPer. :(

Like Proven said I'm probably in minority so what I will say won't matter anyway.
Of course it matters! The guild hasn't decided anything and hearing peoples thoughts and opinions about it all is what will help decide what to do.

Whatever we do some people will feel like it isn't for them and/or a bad idea. It's impossible to please everyone. :(

Edit: There will always be at least one of each mission type:
As players advance their guild hall, they’ll be able to purchase new mission-slot upgrades that will give them more options for missions they can complete each week. There are also three dedicated mission slots that are specific to each game mode: one each for PvE, PvP, and WvW. These dedicated mission slots will not change even if players have their mission preference set, and they can be easy, medium, or hard in difficulty.
The rest (x amount depending on unlocked slots) will be random or based on preference.

I would prefer for GAF to do all three mission types (PvE/WvW/PvP), and maybe let GAFO be the one dedicated to only PvE mission types. But it's not up to me.

We are being given a tool as a guild to grow our community into more areas of the game so I think we should take it by leaving it be random.

Because of server issue we should just go with first idea but re-open this issue when the WvW guild alliance servers get added (opportunity to get all guild mission regulars to be in same guild alliance for WvW.).

I would prefer for GAF to do all three mission types (PvE/WvW/PvP), and maybe let GAFO be the one dedicated to only PvE mission types. But it's not up to me.
Wow. Even better idea.

Well you're one of the guild leaders and you should have a big say in this decision.

Fishious

Totally forgot about the different slots for each type. This means even if PvE does wind up being the primary "guild mission", interested parties within the guild can arrange times to do the other ones. Sounds like a win-win.

Proven

To be fair, Kos, if there aren't enough people with any interest in PvP we probably need to grow it ourselves. In the same way that Ike got an event going for dungeons, if there were enough veterans partying up with people and pulling them through games while trying to make the experience as welcoming as possible, it'd probably help in the future. Be the change from within!

I am trying to wrap my head around this WvW reset thing. Doom and gloom on the official forums, but I don't know what to think. I've been looking forward to WvWing in a game where defending is a lot more rewarded and incentivized. I sort of hope it changes the way the game is played because the current system is a shame when people give up positions or dont want to hold out in glorious dramatic showdowns because it is "not worth it".

I'm trying to see WvW being were I want to spend my time if they can get that emotional-response out of players really carring about the keeps they just captured. WvW is wonderful, but the potential overshadows anything else in the game. It sticks out because it hasn't been properly realized and because the logistics of fixing it is really hard. It's a really hard game mode to get right.

Spyware

Totally forgot about the different slots for each type. This means even if PvE does wind up being the primary "guild mission", interested parties within the guild can arrange times to do the other ones. Sounds like a win-win.
Yup. And if the main guild goes the "Random" way I'll know I can at least join one mission per week :)
Maybe we'll transfer too for WvW in that case. The reason for choosing my server in the first place is gone so it's just the cost for two accounts that stops me now.
The PvP ones are perhaps not as horrible as I imagine either but... eh. "Kill X amount of people in specific spots" (the one example they've gioven for PvP) seems like a way less fun guild activity than the current ones we run.

Rawk Hawk

That's true, I didn't know there were ones specifically slotted for each mode. Might be premature to fully weigh in until we figure it all out, I guess maybe it's best to just say I'm comfortable with all the options

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Handful-of-HoT-Notes/page/2#post5624787

Looks like server doesn't matter for the WvW stuff? Or is worlds, maps? I dunno just tossing this out there lol.

To be fair, Kos, if there aren't enough people with any interest in PvP we probably need to grow it ourselves. In the same way that Ike got an event going for dungeons, if there were enough veterans partying up with people and pulling them through games while trying to make the experience as welcoming as possible, it'd probably help in the future. Be the change from within!

I think it would have been cool if there was dungeon guild missions so we are all doing them at once. It would have made Ike dungeon running event unevessary because sooner or later we would have run all the dungeon paths.

I don't mind playing/teaching pvp to guildies but I do not have time to play as much as the guild running group. Lately all I can play is late evening for 1 hour, I always used to ask if anyone wanted to pvp and besides Rawk Hawk and sometime Kanik very few were interested.

This is why I prefer the guild mission structure because the whole guild is together. I think our guildies would give other game modes a shot of we are all doing them together.

Anyway I've talked about this way too long. Whatever the trusted leaders decide I'll be ok with it and deal with the outcome on my own time.

Proven

Just want to note, half the time when you get on at the same time as me, Kos, I'm either already busy in a match or something, or you go and steal my party members to fill up your party. Traitor.

I had forgotten that eventually we'll have dedicated slots, so there will always be at least 1 PvP and WvW mission per week.

The PvP missions sound mostly like "get X kills across Y games in a Z timeframe," "get X defense kills across Y games in a Z timeframe," or "win Y games in Z timeframe." We won't know the specifics until it launches, and honestly, it isn't that they're interesting as compared to current PvE guild missions but that they're likely to be more challenging, especially given GAF makes the current missions into an art form.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Handful-of-HoT-Notes/page/2#post5624787

ColinJohanson said:
DBZVelena.5186 said:
Are there WvW guild missions that can possibly be completed in Edge of the mists at all?
Just double checked w/ the team on this – you cannot do these while in EoTM.
You can however have people in different worlds running missions simultaneously for the guild that all contribute. They simply only need to have 3 guild members participating in the specific event for it to count towards the mission – regardless of which world.

Proven

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/earning-hero-points-in-world-vs-world/

New blog post about how WvW only players will unlock elite specializations. Also, they're removing WXP experience from dailies and replacing them, both future and retroactively, with "general experience" boosters that will also affect your PvE experience and PvP rank gain. Sounds useful.

Edit: correction, retroactively changed liquid WXP experience will be WXP only boosters. Future WXP experience will be general boosters. I'm assuming that the boosters boost Mastery experience too, but there's no mention in the article.

What do you all mean by unlocking mission slots?

At some point we can get PvE, WvW and spvp mission at same time? Plus the usual Jp/rush /bounty and challenge?

@proven, how can I steal guildies when I end up pvping alone and talking to myself in guild chat.

What do you all mean by unlocking mission slots?

At some point we can get PvE, WvW and spvp mission at same time? Plus the usual Jp/rush /bounty and challenge?

Unlocking New Mission Slots

As players advance their guild hall, they’ll be able to purchase new mission-slot upgrades that will give them more options for missions they can complete each week. There are also three dedicated mission slots that are specific to each game mode: one each for PvE, PvP, and WvW. These dedicated mission slots will not change even if players have their mission preference set, and they can be easy, medium, or hard in difficulty.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-mission-changes-and-improvements/

Cronnie

Just started getting back into the game in preparation for HoT, would appreciate an invite back into the guild if possible, Cronnie.5261, thanks in advance!

Retro

First off, I strongly object to the implication that PVE-centric players are somehow simple or inferior. That's really uncalled for.

From the start we made it a point to avoid putting emphasis on one game mode over another. We ran WvW buffs quite a bit until most of our regular WvW players left SBI (remember that guild buffs weren't cross-server until fairly recently) or joined more WvW-centric guilds. Even during the last tournament though we kept them running, and we still keep +5 Supply built for when people need it. I've seen Zed and Katoki regularly build siege equipment with guild influence as well. If there were sPVP buffs, we'd run those too. Since the majority of members skew towards PVE, that's what we typically run buffs for.

You've addressed your own complaint here though; because we don't force players to stay on one server, we cannot WvW as a group without some members being excluded. Likewise, only 5 players can PVP at once. With PVE Guild Missions, everyone can participate together.

True, ignoring the new features does seem wrong on some levels, but I can understand some players not wanting to PvP. It kind of depends on what the missions are, being that we normally have a lot of people on for missions, and only 5 fit on a PvP team, I'm curious to see how it will all work.

This is all speculation until HoT launches and we can actually dig in and see what's going on, but they talk about "unlocking new mission slots" in their latest Guild Mission post. It kind of sounds like we can expand just how many missions we get each week, so that might be an option instead of using GAFO.

Also don't forget that Guild Teams will be a thing after HoT launches, meaning we can now have a more organized approach to PVP beyond just asking in guild chat if people want to queue up together. That alone will be a big boost from an organizational standpoint, and would actually demonstrate a need for slotting PVP missions.

Edit: Looks like missions slots have already been mentioned, but ya'll forgot about Guild Teams, didn't you?

Exactly. If people want more folks to PVP with, being inclusive is a hell of a lot better than making disparaging comments about peoples' play preferences. The most I PVP'd was when Moondrop was getting people organized to do it and teaching folks to play (mostly so we'd have enough people to fill a team, but I had fun with it just the same).

Looks like server doesn't matter for the WvW stuff? Or is worlds, maps? I dunno just tossing this out there lol.

The problem I see there is, if the mission is "Capture three towers as a guild", we might have 10-15 people on SBI doing it while there's maybe a handful of people on other servers trying to contribute without the numbers needed (especially now that defending will be easier).

Again, we'll have to see how these things work in practice before we make any decisions, but we kind of shot ourselves in the foot WvW-wise because we wanted people to have the freedom to play how /where they want instead of trying to force everyone into one box. That's what usually kills other GAF-based guilds (well, that and most MMOs die off too quickly to support a guild of just GAFers; FFXIV is the only other game I know of where a GAF-based guild is still moderately active) so we made it a point to try to be as open as possible.

Proven

One thing I want to mention Retro, I'm pretty sure you can complete PvP and WvW missions with more than one team. As in, for the former you can have multiple teams queuing in PvP (and I believe that may be the most realistic way of completing some of the harder/more strict PvP challenges) and for the latter you can have multiple teams working cross server, we'd just need at least three people per server.

Well, this still depends on the number of people willing to even attempt the missions. WvW is one thing, but if we don't have even 9 people in the whole guild willing to attempt (that's three groups of 3, and I'm assuming you need the majority to count for the mission and not a full stack of 5, like guild teams for leagues), then yeah, no reason to not set the missions to PvE only for the foreseeable future.

Classic Retro.
Turning my statement that we have mostly PvE centric players into a negative as though I implied PvE only players are inferior.

Which I didn't. I was just hoping this was a good opportunity for those players to try out other game modes with the guild.

Rawk Hawk

I did forget about Guild Teams, those will be fun for sure.

I think the slotted PvP/WvW missions will be enough to 'test the waters' for the main guild. I'm really curious to see how they play out, the PvP example was killing people near capture points. What if our guild team is unfortunate enough to roll Courtyard? That could be a problem, depending on the time frame given to complete the mission.

I would love it if the PvP/WvW ones were more like multiple hour missions, maybe even days long. Using the tower example, they could set tiers for rewards at 3, 10, 50 towers, but give you all week to organize and try them. Leaving our Saturday Night Missions unchanged, but giving different things to do on other nights of the week.

xeris

Classic Retro.
Turning my statement that we have mostly PvE centric players into a negative as though I implied PvE only players are inferior.

Which I didn't. I was just hoping this was a good opportunity for those players to try out other game modes with the guild.

No, you pretty much insulted every PvE-centric player out there. Nice try at revising though. 3/10.

Levyne

Banned
Classic Retro.

I really, really don't want to get into this much but "Lowest Common Denominator" can only be interpreted in so many ways. I'm not saying that the guild should or shouldn't, can or cannot do things a certain way, but I hope you see how words like that could be abrasive.

docbon

Classic Retro.

ah huh

kos jerktar

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Upcoming-Global-Change-to-Player-Minions

PvE minion masters rejoice! No longer will your illusions/turrets/pets/spooky skeletons instantly pop from boss AoE damage!

Reaper minion master is going to be so very real.

usea

I wonder if the pve minion damage reduction Fishious linked to, and the other gyro changes mentioned by Irenio on the forums will make more scrapper builds viable? I would love for that to be the case. I'm eager to try them out at launch, but I'm still a little doubtful I will end up using any of them. My fingers are crossed though.

Gyro ability changes being:
Movement speed increased for "several" gyros
A few gyros' abilities have increased range or other tweaks to make them "more effective at their jobs"
Reduced cooldowns of all gyros except sneak
Blast gyro's toolbelt skill is now a stunbreak

Minion damage reduction being:
All minions take 95% less damage from creatures if not the target

(function gyro got a lot of changes too, but you always get it as scrapper so I'm excluding it)

I used that term to mean that PvE is the lowest thing we all have in common. Thinking of each game mode as a list not that lowest means least or worse.

I guess my understanding of those 3 words in a sentence is incorrect so if you were offended by my poor choice of words, I appologize.

Retro

One thing I want to mention Retro, I'm pretty sure you can complete PvP and WvW missions with more than one team.

Oh yeah, absolutely, that's how I think they'll work too. The example I used for WvW is really the worst case scenario where there's not enough people on a non-SBI world to capture a given objective. PVP wouldn't be a problem at all if it works how it sounds though.

I'm open to anything as long as it doesn't severely impact the current setup that everyone seems to enjoy (at least, I haven't heard any complaints). If we can keep doing our usual Challenge / Puzzle / Bounty / Rush and throw in PVP and WvW missions, that's awesome and I'm more than happy to help out with stuff (probably not all on the same night though, heh).

Classic Retro. Turning my statement that we have mostly PvE centric players into a negative as though I implied PvE only players are inferior.

Dude, come on. "Lowest common denominator" when used to describe a group of people pretty much always has a negative connotation. I don't see anything in your post that puts a wink / nudge at the end of that comment and it just comes off as mean-spirited.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Upcoming-Global-Change-to-Player-Minions

PvE minion masters rejoice! No longer will your illusions/turrets/pets/spooky skeletons instantly pop from boss AoE damage!

That's a fantastic change, holy shit. They're really getting in and addressing a lot of the game's long-standing issues for HoT.

Edit: More story clarification:
Matthew Medina said:
Hey guys – some additional information based on your questions:
  • As noted by some replies, having some knowledge of season 1-2 of Living World will be really helpful to your understanding of expansion story because it is a direct continuation of those storylines. Having said that, we do try (to varying degrees) to establish characters for those who’ve not played in a while. If you’ve not played any story in GW2, you probably will feel pretty lost, but there’s some good info and story synopses out there in case you need to catch up.

• There’s no need to login in any sort of time window to “unlock” the expansion story. If you’ve purchased “Heart of Thorns”, it’s already unlocked, and you can play the story whenever you see fit. There are some mastery-gates on certain chapters (certain skills are required for navigation in the story chapters, because of their locations in the maps), but those will be messaged both on the in-game UI and in the story journal.

• Grouping after the prologue is completed – Yes, you should be able to group up and play the “Torn from the Sky” chapter with any other players who have completed the prologue and all party members should earn progress for the chapter.

• Silverwastes tutorial – This was needed for a number of reasons: 1. because the storyline for the base Silverwastes map is so distinctively set in a time period (Pact forces are preparing for the assault on Mordremoth, however in “Heart of Thorns” this assault has already been launched, and failed). 2. because it allows us to not have a flood of players in one of our popular maps who are not working toward the meta for that map and consequently skewing the meta progression in undesirable ways, and 3. for some sound technical reasons. :)

• Canach and the others – Yeah, the beta version of this chapter didn’t include the main NPC’s you’re used to seeing in story content, but they’ll be there in the Live version you’ll experience on Friday. You’ll get to see them briefly and get an explanation for their presence prior to seeing them in “Torn from the Sky”.

usea

Also, they added some currency pages to gw2efficiency so you can see what the best way to convert karma, badges of honor, and laurels into gold based on current TP prices.

https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/karma

Apparently I've converted a lot of karma to gold using sub-optimal gloves. Wish I knew about that a around a few weeks ago before I converted about 500k karma into linen haha.

Wanderer5

Wish there would be a similar solution for WvW (through that chances are be very hard to do without breaking it), but the minion change for PvE is really nice.

Hedge

I can't wait to see how these buffs will play out for worldbosses. Suddenly minions, phantasms and pets won't just disappear in a puff of smoke when the boss steps on them accidentally.
I wonder how much of an actual increase to overall DPS this will be, when suddenly all of these will actually stay alive during a fight.

Anno

That'll certainly make playing my Mesmer more fun in big fights. I wonder if the damage reduction still works in tandem with Phantasmal Defender. Guessing not, but could be fun.

Dunlop

Is there a recent guide out there for returning players?

Have a 80 Guardian and 80 Engineer but no clue what to do.

I see I can buy season 2 of the living story but not clear on why I would do this

Retro

Is there a recent guide out there for returning players?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/returningplayers

Have a 80 Guardian and 80 Engineer but no clue what to do.

If you're in exotic gear on both, you'll just need to adjust your specialization (there was a balance update not long ago that changed how traits work) and that's about it. If you have any laurels or guild commendations you can grab some ascended accessories, but you'll be alright without them honestly.

I see I can buy season 2 of the living story but not clear on why I would do this

There's a bunch of ascended accessories (with the semi-rare Sinister stats), a unique set of armor (Carapace Set) that can be upgraded to a glowing version (Luminescent Set). Also lots of cool fights and encounters, some major plot points, character development, lore, etc.

Really comes down to how invested you are in the story, how much of a completionist you are, etc.

Retro

This week is dragging on. Come on already! I'm itching for some Reaper and Herald action!

I'm catching up on all the errands I didn't get to do last week, making the HoT OT and I'd like to sneak in my yearly playthru of Symphony of the Night before I get sucked into GW2 hard again.

I can totally sympathize though, if I wasn't so busy I'd be counting the hours too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom