• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking I'll probably do the triggers and bumpers as my skills, with the Left Grip as a shifter to use Utilities/elite, then have Dpad cover my F1-4 (with F5 being shifted and it being one big button). I'll put right click as the pad. From there it's just filling in the rest of the functions.

Question, is there a "hold to walk" or "hold to run"? I know there's a toggle, but I need a hold.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm thinking I'll probably do the triggers and bumpers as my skills, with the Left Grip as a shifter to use Utilities/elite, then have Dpad cover my F1-4 (with F5 being shifted and it being one big button). I'll put right click as the pad. From there it's just filling in the rest of the functions.

Question, is there a "hold to walk" or "hold to run"? I know there's a toggle, but I need a hold.

This sounds incredible, please tell me how it works. I really want a steam controller. Wish I had one right now

Also, if I go bow, what's a good secondary. Greatsword is an obvious choice but I reeally wanted to keep a focus. (It's the legendary I am going for. The harp)

Maybe 1 handed sword + focus?

Levyne

Banned
This sounds incredible, please tell me how it works. I really want a steam controller. Wish I had one right now

Also, if I go bow, what's a good secondary. Greatsword is an obvious choice but I reeally wanted to keep a focus. (It's the legendary I am going for. The harp)

Maybe 1 handed sword + focus?

I would probably use mace over sword. Sword's auto is a weird quasi projectile and mace gives you a symbol and heals you AND allies on auto as well as a block that protects both you and anyone near you.

Only thing I miss from sword is an extra blind.

Wallach

I haven't found any way to mode shift anything but the primary 4 face islands. I was trying to do the same with the bumpers & triggers last night for an ESO profile.

MikeDip

I would probably use mace over sword. Sword's auto is a weird quasi projectile and mace gives you a symbol and heals you AND allies on auto as well as a block that protects both you and anyone near you.

Only thing I miss from sword is an extra blind.

Mace /focus + bow sounds pretty good to me. I am gonna try out a mace today and see how I like it

Levyne

Banned
I like sword but I just really wish the auto wasn't a projectile. So many trying to stab something twice but there is a barrier or smoke field or something and you just miss or blah.

MikeDip

I like sword but I just really wish the auto wasn't a projectile. So many trying to stab something twice but there is a barrier or smoke field or something and you just miss or blah.

I like projectiles I'm gonna try both. I suck at choosing things. I mean, even if it's a projectile you can still be close and pretend you're stabbing no?

Oh wait I see what you're saying. It wouldn't go through a barrier blocking projectiles

Levyne

Banned
What I mean it that it behaves wonky with objects or anything that would otherwise reflect or destroy em.

Edit: Which honestly, in most fights is not a big deal at all 95% of the time but then you fight inside the bubbles in TA Forward AND ITS THE MOST INFURIATING THING EVER

MikeDip

I kept a named bow and mace from my time in the silverwastes and world bosses so this is pretty good! Arc (I think) is the bow, the mace is Serpentstone

Still wanna test out a sword, I don't think I ever used it. I think I should have a decent weapon for all my weapons regardless!

Zeroth

Honestly, one thing I always recommend is having one of each weapon you can use in your inventory. Weapons are more or less useful depending on the situation, and having all weapons means you have all tools to deal with any situation.

On the topic of a mainhand weapon for Guardian, I like mace over sword for the block+heals, even if sword is pretty cool. That said, be sure to have a scepter handy for ranges encounters since you are using an all melee set.

MikeDip

That said, be sure to have a scepter handy for ranges encounters since you are using an all melee set.

But the Bow is ranged, no?

And yeah I have been trying to keep weapons on me but I still like focusing on my two immediate slots since you can only swap those in combat.

Gonna try Mace/focus and then Bow and see how it goes

MikeDip

Darn I have 58. Need to go get more. Doing mapping will get some, what about the rest?

Zeroth

The datamined reward track uses 250 hero points. I think its safer to assume it's a placeholder number than the actual requirement people. World completion gives 212 points. Now if they release more elite specs, will they

a. reduce the 250 requirement thus enraging those who farmed the points?
b. introduce 30 new maps so people can get more 212 points?

Let's wait and see, but don't act surprised if it's not actually 250.

Jira

Really? Before they said you'd be able to unlock the Elite right when HoT launched if you had the points for it.

The datamined reward track uses 250 hero points. I think its safer to assume it's a placeholder number than the actual requirement people. World completion gives 212 points. Now if they release more elite specs, will they

a. reduce the 250 requirement thus enraging those who farmed the points?
b. introduce 30 new maps so people can get more 212 points?

Let's wait and see, but don't act surprised if it's not actually 250.

This is why I don't think they'll go with a limited point system. It would just paint them into a very strict corner. Instead they're going with "overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization" which sounds a lot different than have X hero points. It sounds to me they're building out specific content for each elite spec which can make for a unique experience and they won't run into issues down the line when making more specs.

Zeroth

This is why I don't think they'll go with a limited point system. It would just paint them into a very strict corner. Instead they're going with "overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization" which sounds a lot different than have X hero points. It sounds to me they're building out specific content for each elite spec which can make for a unique experience and they won't run into issues down the line when making more specs.

I still believe Hero Points will be required to an extend, since we do have many leftovers and they have to be used somewhere. But like you said, I believe the amount will not be too high because it's coupled with in-game requirements to unlock the spec, like doing X story mission or whatever. I don't expect a lore background for each spec, but I do expect a requirement that is not solely hero points.

So, I'm of the opinion that I would REALLY prefer that armor prefixes instead be handled a bit more like PvP does it. Reasoning being, if I decide that I want to change my prefix, I have to go through on every single piece of everything ever and reacquire all of my gear. I wish that there was either a (relatively) cheap item that could reapply prefixes to items, so that I could hop around different builds without dumping a huge amount of money into doing so.

Surely I can't be alone?

Wallach

I still believe Hero Points will be required to an extend, since we do have many leftovers and they have to be used somewhere. But like you said, I believe the amount will not be too high because it's coupled with in-game requirements to unlock the spec, like doing X story mission or whatever. I don't expect a lore background for each spec, but I do expect a requirement that is not solely hero points.

I think it may just be a regular ass track. A lot of folks are going to want to do the new content as the new spec. There sounds like a lot of new progression already in Mastery that I would not be surprised if they didn't bleed specializations any further in that direction to capitalize on the launch draw for returning and bored veteran players.

Remfin

So, I'm of the opinion that I would REALLY prefer that armor prefixes instead be handled a bit more like PvP does it. Reasoning being, if I decide that I want to change my prefix, I have to go through on every single piece of everything ever and reacquire all of my gear. I wish that there was either a (relatively) cheap item that could reapply prefixes to items, so that I could hop around different builds without dumping a huge amount of money into doing so.

Surely I can't be alone?
I haven't really been following things recently but...isn't this the point of Legendary armor? Ascended-level stats with selectable stats like current Legendary weapons?

Jira

I haven't really been following things recently but...isn't this the point of Legendary armor? Ascended-level stats with selectable stats like current Legendary weapons?

Yep. Thing is with his suggestion is that really nullifies a lot of economy stuff in regards to how armor/weapons are obtained. That won't happen for PVE outside of legendary gear.

usea

Surely I can't be alone?
You're not alone, but it won't happen unless you get legendary armor (you can change the stats on those at will). At least you can change the stats on ascended gear via the mystic forge for a price, and it's account bound. But you still need multiple sets if your builds use different stats, and you can't transfer them to characters that wear a different armor class (light, medium, heavy). It's a bunch of BS honestly, but oh well.

BTW when you ask about what kits to use on engineer, which weapon did you settle on and what stats are you running? Are you thinking about pve, spvp, what? Most things are pretty viable. Alchemy is popular, and so are kit-heavy builds. Grenades and flamethrower are probably the most common.

You're not alone, but it won't happen unless you get legendary armor (you can change the stats on those at will). At least you can change the stats on ascended gear via the mystic forge for a price, and it's account bound. But you still need multiple sets if your builds use different stats, and you can't transfer them to characters that wear a different armor class (light, medium, heavy). It's a bunch of BS honestly, but oh well.

BTW when you ask about what kits to use on engineer, which weapon did you settle on and what stats are you running? Are you thinking about pve, spvp, what? Most things are pretty viable. Alchemy is popular, and so are kit-heavy builds. Grenades and flamethrower are probably the most common.

Oh no I'm a fairly adept Engineer, was just saying that Engies can pretty much bring every weapon they want, just "which do I bring now".

EDIT: I took my lunch break as an oppurtunity to set up my Steam Controller controls. Hopefully they stay from work profile to playing games profile, would hate to have to rebind everything. Really, the only annoying thing right now is having to hold a button down to adjust the camera. Everything else is great.

Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Mesmer, and Engineer all over 200 Hero points, strange my Ranger who I use a lot only has 197 HP, Ele and Necro most neglected glasses both at 98..

zanyu

Hey guys, I started playing GW2 again a week ago. I'd love to group up for dungeons or spvp.

I just got to level 80 as a mesmer.

Zanyu.2017

My primary focus is on sPvP, I would love to get a consistent group together. I'm still learning a lot of things. I've been a multi-time gladiator in WoW and would be like to get decent at this game as well.

Primarily I just want to have fun though :D

Proven

Surely I can't be alone?

You're not alone, but you can't get around going through every single piece and trinket/accessory, even with legendary equipment. You just save the gold cost. And beside the economy concerns, PvE and WvW players that don't like PvP often cite lack of control over stats as one of their reasons.

Hedge

Primarily I just want to have fun though :D

tumblr_inline_n0abriVzly1qzrz52.gif

I'm sorry. I realize this isn't super helpful. Welcome back, though!

Anno

Anyone had a chance to play around with a Steam controller yet?

Less than a week from HoT launch and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere Maine, it's 40* and raining for two days! The trees are really pretty at least. And on top of all that I'm getting married tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Less than a week from HoT launch and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere Maine, it's 40* and raining for two days! The trees are really pretty at least. And on top of all that I'm getting married tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Messing with it as we speak actually.

So far biggest issue is lack of action cam, since you have to continuously hold a button to adjust your camera. Other than that though it's working great. Will need to relearn the controls of course but aside from that I'm quite liking it.

BUT -- I do currently have it set up such that I can activate and ground target any skill, from 1-10, F1-F5, very easily. Only annoyance is that I set it up with the Action Cam update in mind, so right now I've got my right trigger holding down the mouse, and pressing on the pad to activate skill 1. It actually works awesomely for mortar/grenades, since you basically just mouse to where you want it and press down to fire :D.

MikeDip

Whoa good luck!
Have fun!!!

Anno

Messing with it as we speak actually.

So far biggest issue is lack of action cam, since you have to continuously hold a button to adjust your camera. Other than that though it's working great. Will need to relearn the controls of course but aside from that I'm quite liking it.

BUT -- I do currently have it set up such that I can activate and ground target any skill, from 1-10, F1-F5, very easily. Only annoyance is that I set it up with the Action Cam update in mind, so right now I've got my right trigger holding down the mouse, and pressing on the pad to activate skill 1. It actually works awesomely for mortar/grenades, since you basically just mouse to where you want it and press down to fire :D.

Nice! Seems like it may have some potential. I'm not in until the November release so I hope things are figured out a bit by then on a number of games. Reaction right now is, predictively, all over the place since it's basically a brand new things.

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks!

Nice! Seems like it may have some potential. I'm not in until the November release so I hope things are figured out a bit by then on a number of games. Reaction right now is, predictively, all over the place since it's basically a brand new things.

Thanks!

Reaction is all over the place because people go based on their first hour, and say "Did I do better y/n". They don't weight what does what or what benefits there are, or even if it's just a matter that they haven't adjusted to it.

Hedge

I still have my Teq's Hoard in my inventory, unused, because I can't decide between GS and staff. Ugh. It's been there forever.
I suppose I could start doing Teq again and hope for one more.

Thorgal

For those not aware , Today is Pink day in LA (Cancer Awareness day ) and Of course LA in Tyria could not sit idly by

So for Today , PINK QUAGGAN INVASION IN LA .

This map was part of a all day livestream from LA with lots of giveaways ranging from laptops to ingame legendary's .

Moments like these where the Games community come together remind me why i love to log in almost everyday .

MikeDip

I still have my Teq's Hoard in my inventory, unused, because I can't decide between GS and staff. Ugh. It's been there forever.
I suppose I could start doing Teq again and hope for one more.

I flipped a coin for you. Staff won.

Use it!

zanyu

I am actually available for that time. If GAF's putting together a team and needs a fifth man or something I'll volunteer. I don't want to take a spot from one of our veterans since I'm still scrub tier, but I'm pretty comfortable with stronghold (and only stronghold) so I don't think I'll be that much of a liability.

If there are people who are interested enough in sPvP, I'd love to get consistent premade teams together. To be fair though, I don't think I'm in a real position to lead a team because I'm still learning what is happening in a lot of the matches I'm playing.

I've got about only 200 matches in, and I still think I'm below average as a PvP player. I am literally throwing my stuns into people who have stability up. I've been called out an idiot cause I finished someone when it was a bad idea. There are a lot of things I still don't know about PvP, but I'd like to get better instead of running around like a headless chicken.

Message me ingame or here and we can queue up together. :)

Zanyu.2017

docbon

That action cam looks pretty amazing tbh.

Interesting timing too, since I asked about a mouselook mode when I came back to the game a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom