• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SourBear

Banned
perhaps we can complete them together.

Ranger + ??? = Druid
Mesmer + Wells = Chronomancer
Guardian + Traps = Dragonhunter
Necromancer + Shouts = Banshee (rumored)
Engineer + ??? = ???
Elementalist + ??? = ???
Thief + ??? = ???
Warrior + ??? = ???

I'm not good with names so here are my guesses:

Ranger + Consecrations
Necromancer + Meditations
Engineer + Stances
Elementalist + Shouts
Thief + Manipulations
Warrior + Conjures

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think people are "caught up on sheer numbers" enough.
While my curiosity is certainly colored by the fact that I disagree with you philosophically in every sense possible here, I am wondering if I understood what you meant by the reduction in build diversity correctly. If a thief build uses all the same stat allocations, weapons and skill selections, but chooses Side Strikes versus Furious Retaliation, are we talking about two different builds counted among your millions? These slight modifications to combat certainly have a net change on numerical values- the very same ones I refuse to get all caught up on- and from a statistical perspective I'm sure one is the more effective of the two "builds." But from my perspective they are functionally identical, the differences between them being so overwhelmingly boring as to not actually constitute separate builds in my mind or play experience.

If that is what you meant, and the implication is that while the total number of "builds" will be reduced from millions to 2000, the difference between "build 1" and "build 2" will be necessarily bigger than it would have before, you've actually gone a ways toward convincing me that I'll enjoy the new system when I was completely neutral on it before. From a practical perspective I did not consider GW2 to have millions of builds before, and I know that I won't ever personally be able to try one million, ten thousand, or two thousand separate builds during my time with the game. If there are fewer total builds from a "numbers" standpoint but a greater proportion of functionally distinct builds, I will honestly come to see it as a positive.

I suppose my expectation was that it actually wouldn't really have much impact at all so I didn't know how to feel about it, but if it has the net effect of getting me to actually try new builds then I welcome it.

Yeah, I don't consider 'adds 10 damage to nades' and 'gives you 100 more vitality' builds. GW2's trait system is kind of suffering from the same thing vanilla D3 did. I want traits to have major, tangible changes to playstyle, other than just making you go 'oh, I'll use nades now because they do more damage'.

I always thought GW2's builds were, in a way, really, really uninteresting. The only saving grace being that the combat itself is still good, in spite of traits being ethereal modifiers to the MUD number rolling in the combat log.

I'm hoping the new system entices players to pay more attention to the Trait system overall, and experiment more instead of following metabattle or popular guild X's guides.

Is Dargonhunter just a play on Monster Hunter?

What are the chances they change the name before lunch just based on how many people on reddit/official forum/GAF do not like it?

Retro

Edit: Wanted to lead with this; Jira wanted me to point out the lore behind Dragonhunter is already kind of suggested; Braham is aGuardian who has been getting closer to his mother, a Ranger... and not just any Ranger, but one who's legend is all about (gasp) hunting dragons.

I worked up a whole post on such a list last week but deleted it in my frustration of trying to complete the equation of (current profession) + (skill type from another profession) = (elite specialization). But now that we've seen dragonhunter, that equation seems to be accurate and the rumors of banshee sound like inside info. So let's see where we stand with the equations; perhaps we can complete them together.

Ranger + ??? = Druid
Engineer + ??? = ???
Elementalist + ??? = ???
Thief + ??? = ???
Warrior + ??? = ???

I'll put forth three guesses. The first is Elementalist + Venoms, and the venoms will be elemental themed, possibly having interactions with attunements. The second is that thief or warrior will be getting some type of summon/conjure/pet/spirit/turret with their elite specialization. And perhaps Rangers + Elixirs = Druid?

Here's your list of skill types, fyi; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill#Skill_types

Druid seems kind of obvious; there's only one trait in the new Core Specializations that affects spirits, plus we know they're losing mobility. Druid will likely be a spirit-oriented "Turret" build, then. Thematically it works perfectly and area denial is a nice compliment to the Ranger's existing playstyle.

Engineer is rumored to be a "Machinist", and we've already seen them gain little AI drones that they can 'snap' onto their hammer to deliver a more powerful attack. Perhaps that points to the Engineer getting something like Minions? Honestly I'd rather see them get something like Wards and the specialization being all about building / construction themes.

Elementalist (Rumored to be "Tempest" and gaining access to 1h sword) could be an interesting hint towards the future. The tempest name suggests a wind storm, so perhaps future Elite Specializations will be focused on becoming the embodiment of a single attunement to a degree far greater than the current trait lines. So what could Tempest be? It suggests lots of movement and speed, so perhaps it will gain something like Shadowstep or Blink.

Thief is a tough one and we have little to go with. I've heard Rifle, but that doesn't seem like enough to go on. "Sniper" doesn't sound like there'd be enough to work with, and "Assassin" is just retreading ground. What if it's something like "Operative" or "Scout," and themed around infiltration / spying. Giving them a limited selection of Gadgets would be absurdly cool and an interesting angle to approach Thief (as a Special Agent or professional spy rather than just a pickpocket). In fact, they could add a new "Steal" skill on F2 that, instead of just pocketing an item from an enemy, allows you to steal something from them and then MacGuyver it into some kind of useful toolbelt skill-like effect.

Warrior is another tough one, there's not a lot of weapons left to go with or angles left to play with them since they have no connection at all to any kind of magic. I've been thinking their specialization could be a "Commander" or "Tactician" approach, sort of addressing the theme of battlefield leadership. Lord of the Rings Online had a "Captain" class that was pretty cool, and one of their big things was summoning Heralds, little AI-controlled squires who carried a banner around for you. Maybe the new F2 slot allows you to command your henchmen to attack with their banner or give some kind of extra buff. Giving them torch as a "signalling" weapon (mark enemies to be attacked, that sort of thing) would kind of fit there.

Quenk

Apparently the TenTonHammer article has the line "As the second of three elite specialization reveals planned for the next few weeks."

Someone on Reddit asked about this and that info came from ANet so it looks like they aren't doing all 8 specializations in a row.

Mxrz

Mostly agree. Most traits don't change much. In two years of dungeon pugging, no one ever noticed i was running a non-meta trait setup. I stopped changing pve traits long ago, just didn't feel like it was worth the effort. So cutting back on the little in favor of bigger changes suits me just fine.

Might be in the minority, but I don't think GW2's models have ever worked well with mix-matching. Pieces don't seem to go together all that well compared to GW1. So I'm all for outfits. Its a way to play heavy armor characters that don't look like a tin can, or carrying around a metal skirt.

Main concern about the Dragon-hunter, the slower attacks sound like they'll be easy to dodge or line of sight. Maybe that's the trade off and all the other stuff is really good.

Guys, Chronomancer has made me lost! I had been waiting for a new race to come full blown back into this game and create a Guardian once this happened. Then they revealed the Revenant instead of a new race and that looks cool so I think "I'll make a new Revenant!". Then my buddy talks about how fun it's been to play as a Guardian and I've always kinda wanted to make one so I think I'll wait to see the rest of the Revenant skill set to decide between the two and that was settled...until they showed Chronomancer. Now I'm wondering if I should keep my main a Mesmer after all because Chronomancer looks fun to play as...AHHHHH I don't know what to do haha I know some of you would say do both or all three but I'm more the type to really focus on one character and do as much as I can with them as opposed to bouncing between multiple characters at once. Also, with the vast amount of changes to the game from when I actively played, it'd be beneficial to start a new character to be taught all these new systems and get back into the swing of things at a natural pace. I've actually started playing a bit trying to get the portal and coming back to real playing in a level 80 zone and using keyboard and mouse when I was a gamepad guy before...it was a rough start to the new zone (to me) Silverwastes haha but I've steadily gotten a bit better at it. Well the nice thing is I'll get to see the Revenant skill set before any of this comes out and I can decide then.

Speaking of which, Hawkbro, I'm having issues with the game pad and that's why I used the keyboard and mouse. I ran the little script and it said that it was incompatible with my version of Windows. This is odd because I'm still on W7 and haven't changed anything since the last time I played with the game pad AFAIK. Any advice?

Taffer

If you make a Sylvari and get cultural gear you actually move beyond fashion wars and can stop paying attention. Noble outfit's pretty swish though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is Dargonhunter just a play on Monster Hunter?
Yes. They couldn't STOP saying "big-game hunter" throughout the post.
What are the chances they change the name before lunch just based on how many people on reddit/official forum/GAF do not like it?
Zero.
Guys, Chronomancer has made me lost!
I really love all the classesexceptofcoursewarrior. Specializations along with a new class were pretty much the best thing I could have hoped for gameplay-wise in this expansion... just one more in a long line of personal love letters from anet to me of course :D
Speaking of which, Hawkbro, I'm having issues with the game pad and that's why I used the keyboard and mouse. I ran the little script and it said that it was incompatible with my version of Windows. This is odd because I'm still on W7 and haven't changed anything since the last time I played with the game pad AFAIK. Any advice?
Hell yeah, let's get you sorted.

1. What do you mean by little script? Which file is throwing that error?
2. When you had used it previously, did you have the full setup working (i.e., was your cursor autocentering for AoE target skills?) or did you have issues with it at the time?
I always thought GW2's builds were, in a way, really, really uninteresting.
I actually totally disagree with that, at face value anyway.

I love how completely different my support/keepaway Golemancer shortbow Thief build plays from my psuedo-tank DPS S/P build, let alone my Confusion/interrupt-spam Perplexity Mesmer build or my might-stacking Arcane, crit-chance-less Ele build. I loved crafting builds around rune sets with interesting effects and leveraging skill options in unexpected ways. My hybrid condi thief with Basilisk Venom to activate the Mad King Rune effect is still one of the most fun for me to play with to this day, even though it was over two years ago that I first put it together.

It's just that traits are for the most part a tiny piece of this equation. I love some traits, like Evasive Arcana, Bountiful Theft and Static Discharge, but for the most part they aren't "buildmakers" or even more than slight augments (or at least "not-contradictors") of what I'm already going for.

Ashodin

I'll tell you a trait I don't like. The guardian one where you do 10% more damage if endurance isn't full. Makes me feel like I have to dodge roll all the time like an idiot.

thespot84

have any newsletters come from anet recently? i've signed up on the website for emails a couple times but haven't seen anything, not sure it took...

Spyware

Guys, Chronomancer has made me lost! I had been waiting for a new race to come full blown back into this game and create a Guardian once this happened. Then they revealed the Revenant instead of a new race and that looks cool so I think "I'll make a new Revenant!". Then my buddy talks about how fun it's been to play as a Guardian and I've always kinda wanted to make one so I think I'll wait to see the rest of the Revenant skill set to decide between the two and that was settled...until they showed Chronomancer. Now I'm wondering if I should keep my main a Mesmer after all because Chronomancer looks fun to play as...AHHHHH I don't know what to do haha I know some of you would say do both or all three but I'm more the type to really focus on one character and do as much as I can with them as opposed to bouncing between multiple characters at once. Also, with the vast amount of changes to the game from when I actively played, it'd be beneficial to start a new character to be taught all these new systems and get back into the swing of things at a natural pace. I've actually started playing a bit trying to get the portal and coming back to real playing in a level 80 zone and using keyboard and mouse when I was a gamepad guy before...it was a rough start to the new zone (to me) Silverwastes haha but I've steadily gotten a bit better at it. Well the nice thing is I'll get to see the Revenant skill set before any of this comes out and I can decide then.

So you already have a Mesmer main at level 80? If so, why not level a Guardian right now just to try it out? HoT is still not really close to release so you have plenty of time. You don't have to switch "main", just level it and get a feel for it. Then do the same with the Rev whenever HoT comes out. Then you'll have the three characters at 80 to try out and then choose whoever you want to use as a main in HoT.

have any newsletters come from anet recently? i've signed up on the website for emails a couple times but haven't seen anything, not sure it took...
The latest ones are "Starting Today: Claim Your Spot in the Next Heart of Thorns Closed Beta" from last week and "Stronghold PvP Public Beta: Play Stronghold April 14!" from April 10.

Moondrop

Banned
While my curiosity is certainly colored by the fact that I disagree with you philosophically in every sense possible here, I am wondering if I understood what you meant by the reduction in build diversity correctly. If a thief build uses all the same stat allocations, weapons and skill selections, but chooses Side Strikes versus Furious Retaliation, are we talking about two different builds counted among your millions? These slight modifications to combat certainly have a net change on numerical values- the very same ones I refuse to get all caught up on- and from a statistical perspective I'm sure one is the more effective of the two "builds." But from my perspective they are functionally identical, the differences between them being so overwhelmingly boring as to not actually constitute separate builds in my mind or play experience.
Your question highlights a fundamental problem of definitions in this topic. Where does one build end and another begin? How many spirits are required to call yourself a spirit ranger?

Your Side Strikes vs. Furious Retaliation example seems intended to illustrate the absurdity of my definition, but it's the only definition I know of that's both accurate and specific. Yes, a build is every non-aesthetic decision a player makes that separates their character from another. When I previously cited the millions number I have only been referring to trait combinations, but stats/weapons/sigils/food/runes etc. should count as well.

If that is what you meant, and the implication is that while the total number of "builds" will be reduced from millions to 2000, the difference between "build 1" and "build 2" will be necessarily bigger than it would have before, you've actually gone a ways toward convincing me that I'll enjoy the new system when I was completely neutral on it before. From a practical perspective I did not consider GW2 to have millions of builds before, and I know that I won't ever personally be able to try one million, ten thousand, or two thousand separate builds during my time with the game. If there are fewer total builds from a "numbers" standpoint but a greater proportion of functionally distinct builds, I will honestly come to see it as a positive.
By what logic will the difference between "build 1" and "build 2" be "necessarily bigger" than before? Must the distinction between two builds be large to be meaningful? And can't I just play the same "these two adept traits are equivalent" game that you have, and reduce that 2000 number to something much less?

And I still find the scapegoating of numbers humorous. As if believing in the value of numbers is a philosophy you could possibly oppose. All differences between builds are numbers. All differences between everything are numbers. The differences between you and I that allow us to have this argument are numbers. Everything is numbers. Numbers are everything. Numbers numbers numbers numbers.

I really love all the classesexceptofcoursewarrior. Specializations along with a new class were pretty much the best thing I could have hoped for gameplay-wise in this expansion... just one more in a long line of personal love letters from anet to me of course :D

Hell yeah, let's get you sorted.

1. What do you mean by little script? Which file is throwing that error?
2. When you had used it previously, did you have the full setup working (i.e., was your cursor autocentering for AoE target skills?) or did you have issues with it at the time?
Yeah Specializations were a great idea to revamp the trait system and add a new fresh way to play all the classes. I've mentioned this before but I was really pleasantly surprised by a new class as I dared hope for it but never believed it would come this soon as I recall Anet saying how difficult it could be to balance a new class in this dynamic world. Anet still number 1!

Sweet, thanks, buddy! So this might be difficult to troubleshoot right now since I'm at work but I'll try to answer your questions at the top of my head. There's a little batch script you provided that initiates two things and must be done before loading the game. One is xpadder and the other was the hotkey designator I think, it shows up in the task tray as a green box with an "H" within. That part still activates so I believe it's xpadder that's having an issue. Maybe I just need to uninstall/reinstall it or reload your profile? I figured I'd bring this up with you in case a common issue came up at one point when I wasn't playing and maybe you provided the fix on this board.

So you already have a Mesmer main at level 80? If so, why not level a Guardian right now just to try it out? HoT is still not really close to release so you have plenty of time. You don't have to switch "main", just level it and get a feel for it. Then do the same with the Rev whenever HoT comes out. Then you'll have the three characters at 80 to try out and then choose whoever you want to use as a main in HoT.

Yeah, my OCD ass 100 percent world completed with an Elementalist and a Mesmer. The Mesmer became the main and I eventually stopped playing due to a combination of having pretty much done everything I could do outside of create a legendary weapon (and I collected some stuff towards that even) and Anet nerfed phantasm builds pretty hard and I didn't want to do a shatter build. I imagine they've rebalanced things since then and it really was more of there not being much to do that stopped me from playing as I wasn't really digging the living story season 1 but I've always loved the world and have wanted to play in it so I knew I'd come back with an expansion at the latest.

Anyway, the reason I didn' t just create a Guardian is that I have a bunch of tombs of knowledge and the like so I was wanting to figure out which character to create and then dump all those on them and I likely could have shot from 1 to 80 by the time HoT comes out haha You do bring up a good point though that HoT isn't coming out for a while so I could just level a Guardian naturally and power level a Revenant using tombs when HoT hits. I avoided this because there are other games that have been coming out but I should still have enough time to get a decent feel of Guardian before HoT hits even if I don't hit level 80 but chances are I'll get there before it comes out anyway. I was thinking I could practice my Mesmer and learn how to play well again but I suppose Chronomancer will play so differently that I don't really have to do that. Just playing any class well get me used to proper movement and dodging again.

So if I create a Guardian, what do you Guardian users recommend for a build? I originally planned on making a tank since both my Ele and Mes are glass canon to mix it up but it seems like the internet says berserker no matter the class ha I know you can and should play however you want but I want to make sure my build is effective, whatever it is.

Stuart444

So just finished the Hidden Arcana Living World mission.

Probably one of my favourite missions yet,
wandering around glints area was fun. Reminded me of the end-game factions area where you had a different debuff in each area. It was also nice to see Odgen. Also spent a lot of time reading every book I could find haha. Awesome stuff.

Also Koss married Melonni? Nice. Don't remember reading that before so I'm happy to hear it :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sweet, thanks, buddy! So this might be difficult to troubleshoot right now since I'm at work but I'll try to answer your questions at the top of my head. There's a little batch script you provided that initiates two things and must be done before loading the game. One is xpadder and the other was the hotkey designator I think, it shows up in the task tray as a green box with an "H" within. That part still activates so I believe it's xpadder that's having an issue. Maybe I just need to uninstall/reinstall it or reload your profile? I figured I'd bring this up with you in case a common issue came up at one point when I wasn't playing and maybe you provided the fix on this board.
Aha yep, if it is Xpadder you just need to do one of these for the .exe in the right-click Properties:
wZut0RL.jpg
XP Service Pack 2 mode, also check to run as administrator.

By what logic will the difference between "build 1" and "build 2" be "necessarily bigger" than before?
I'm not sure- that's sort of what I was asking: if this reduction in the total number of traits means that the effect of picking any one over another will be more significant.
Must the distinction between two builds be large to be meaningful?
Oh, for me, absolutely. Without a doubt, if it's not a big difference it's meaningless to me in terms of being "a different build." Of course you can point out the arbitrariness of this distinction by asking "how big?" to which I have no objective response. It just has to feel different to play.

My example wasn't intended to characterize your definition as absurd so much as to make sure I understood the degree to which you were counting individual builds among millions. Defining builds in that sense makes it a much less useful term to me despite absolutely being more specific, but I wasn't trying to call it absurd, just provide an example to secure my own understanding.
And can't I just play the same "these two adept traits are equivalent" game that you have, and reduce that 2000 number to something much less?
Again, I have no idea. If what you mean is that there will still be trait choices that can have as little noticeable impact as before after the system is changed, I will rescind the optimism your original claim had inspired within me.

I'm also confused now though, if you were just going by traits for the millions vs. 2000 thing, does that mean there will actually be more than 2000 factoring in weapons/runes/skills/etc?

Universally applicable semantics aside, I don't consider using one weapon versus another or one elite skill versus another to be numbers- just to clear up what I was referring to.

Retro

By what logic will the difference between "build 1" and "build 2" be "necessarily bigger" than before? Must the distinction between two builds be large to be meaningful? And can't I just play the same "these two adept traits are equivalent" game that you have, and reduce that 2000 number to something much less?

In reference to the bolded statement, in my opinion yes, absolutely. What Hawkian, myself, et al. are in favor of does result in fewer choices, but those choices would theoretically have greater immediate impact. For example, "When I hit bad guys, I set them on fire now!" has a real, "visceral" effect (and please, don't discount this opinion just because some of the best descriptors are overplayed marketing buzzwords)

On the other hand, while it's very exciting to say "You can have millions of builds," the reality is that the difference between those builds is very low impact, because your choices are all tiny little nibbles of nebulous improvement. They are easy to quantify on a spreadsheet but they don't carry much weight unless many of them occur simultaneously. For example "When I hit bad guys, I cause x+1 damage now!" isn't particularly thrilling (unless, again, you're getting a ton of them all at once, and even then I would argue the thrill is just "bigger numbers pop up").

So while there may be millions of choices in GW2 currently, they don't carry much weight. Things like Deceptive Evasion are awesome because "holy shit, you can generate a clone on dodge, how badass is that?!" while traits like Protected Mantras (same tier, gain toughness when channeling mantras) require you to open your character sheet to notice any change at all. One has "oomph" while the other is just "more numbers under the hood." If this were a turn based RPG or something slow like FFXIV, that wouldn't be a problem, but GW2 is more about depicting the actual actions rather than a numerical simulation of it, even if deep down it's all just, as you say, numbers.

Gaming needs a vocabulary separate from marketing speak, because it's hard to describe things like this sometimes. There's "game feel" but that sounds so vague and pretentious.

And I still find the scapegoating of numbers humorous. As if believing in the value of numbers is a philosophy you could possibly oppose. All differences between builds are numbers. All differences between everything are numbers. The differences between you and I that allow us to have this argument are numbers. Everything is numbers. Numbers are everything. Numbers numbers numbers numbers.

01000111 01100001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01111010 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101100 01101111 01101100
JUWnj.gif

It's not "blame the numbers", it's the fact that numbers are an uninteresting stand-in for potentially more interesting, gameplay-oriented mechanics. Of course the game is run entirely on numbers, it's a computer game. But the difference between me beating another player should, in a game as action-oriented as this, come down to "I am a better player than him" rather than "I have higher numbers than him." (and it should go without saying that in this scenario, "I am a better player" is referring entirely to gameplay, not "I know how to research and theorycraft the most mathematically superior build").

Aha yep, if it is Xpadder you just need to do one of these for the .exe in the right-click Properties:

XP Service Pack 2 mode, also check to run as administrator.

That seems vaguely familiar and should be how it's set up but I haven't checked that setting in over a year so I'll make sure to check that when I get home and report back to you. Thanks!

Ashodin

You main a Guardian? Please teach me the ways of your uber build!

I am THE main Guardian. jk

Depends on what you want to use, and what you want to do.

You want to do damage?

You want to give out boons and heal a bit?

You want a little of both?

You want to be hard to kill? JK we do that already JK

Tell me what you want out of it.

I waffle between two builds: Meditation Guardian and Symbol Guardian (the latter being not so easy to use and clunky, but I love it, and is getting better in Heart of Thorns).

Currently right now I'm rocking this Signet build with Amplified Wrath for more burn damage.

One thing I'll tell you is that Celestial gear is really good for Guardians, so if you can get that as your accessories/rings/etc, it's great stuff to use to kind of wobble between builds at your leisure.

Ashodin

I like WP's positive attitude towards Dragonhunters.

Same. The salt and tears over "ahmagad its not paragon" are glorious. The whole concept and idea of elite specializations when they first were even talked about were to fundamentally change the way the class plays, and they've definitely done it here.

Also

U1gr3Cq.png

we in there. Guardians with stealth. fuuuuuuck yeah

POP OUT AND BE LIKE BLADADADADADOWWWWW then be all

EKHHYAK.gif

OK it's time to speculate

Shouts (known)
Meditations
Consecrations
Physical
Stances
Elixers
Gadgets
Survival
Deceptions
Tricks
Venoms
Arcane
Conjures
Glyphs
Manipulations
Mantras
Corruptions

Ranger + Mantras = Druid
Engineer + Manipulations = Machinist (fits the word manipulate as well)
Elementalist + Stances = Tempest
Thief + Gadgets = Batman Spy
Warrior + Survival = Outdoorsman/Survivalist/Vanguard*(see below)
ManvsWild

Mantras and Ranger seem to fit perfectly. They're one with nature, right? Arcane would fit there too, sort of. As well as Meditations. Actually Meditations might be the thing.

Thieves with Gadgets sound awesome, so make 'em a Spy.

Elementalist + Stances? Sure, Tempest! Some Chinese longsword dancing move shit.

Warriors? Give 'em Survival skills for the wild. Torches are needed to survive out in the wild, right?

Engineers become Machinists, manipulating (see what I did there?) their built pets to apply extra damage or other fun stuff ala Mario Kart shell skills.

Thinking about the Warrior, someone posted this picture
iKxl0Al.jpg
saying that the armor pieces are something not seen in the game yet, and we know that armor pieces are skins that go with specializations. Could be the Warrior one, as it has a hawk on it and Ebonhawk has Vanguards... hmm. Players have assumed this means shortbow because of only one shoulderpiece, and I'm inclined to agree. Sooooo let's change the Warrior then!

Warrior + Shortbow + Survival = Vanguard. Could still work. Mantras could fit too.

Thanks Hawk, you rawk! I apparently had it on XP SP3 instead of 2 and didn't have admin checked. I have no idea how these settings changed but my bad for not checking before asking you. I only tried it the first night we could get portals and for some reason I thought they only were dropping portals that one night so I was like there's no time! Now I need to look up the controls again and take it for a test run :) How will an extra F key factor in when HoT hits? Will it pose a problem? I guess I'll be able to determine that when I look at what you have the current ones set to.

You want to do damage?

I waffle between two builds: Meditation Guardian and Symbol Guardian (the latter being not so easy to use and clunky, but I love it, and is getting better in Heart of Thorns).

Currently right now I'm rocking this Signet build with Amplified Wrath for more burn damage.

One thing I'll tell you is that Celestial gear is really good for Guardians, so if you can get that as your accessories/rings/etc, it's great stuff to use to kind of wobble between builds at your leisure.

I came to the right place then! I wanted to be real tank-y after playing two glass canons as Ele and Mes so I'd say a heavy lean on survivability but I don't want to be worthless offensively either. Is there a build were you're a tank but can still do solid damage? I think I remember reading Guardians have skills/traits that cause burning so maybe you can utilize that condition for good damage output despite having most stuff specc'd towards D? So, ahem, real hard to kill while dealing damage :D

What's your main build geared towards if I may ask? I'm sure all the meta folks would tell me to just go zerker and not even worry about D lol Celestial, eh? When I last heavily played I grinded some extra fractals to get ascended accessories for my future guardian but I think I chose Knight... I'd have to log-in and double check but I'll remember Celestial for when I get new stuff :)

AlStrong

Representing lets you see and participate in the guild chat. You also benefit from the active upgrades the guild has. Those tend to be small buffs to things like magic find or gathering.

That note only pertains to guild missions that you would be actively participating in. It's not something you have to concern yourself with doing accidentally. Please represent whenever you can for full access to chat and the guild features! (unless you're repping another guild intentionally, in which case no worries)

edit: $18.95, damn good deal

If you do not represent you won't see chat and wont be able to interact with us. You should represent and chat with guildies. They might be doing same thing as you can might want to tag along or they can answer questions if you have any.

lol Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure. :)

You want to do damage?

I'd like to respond as well. I want to be "the rock" for groups, meaning doing good damage while also not being constantly downed and supporting those who are. I used to have a good solid build that fit this but that was before trait changes.

I would also like to know of any great builds that use more than gs and sword/scepter focus, but that isn't a deal-breaker.

Retro

Same. The salt and tears over "ahmagad its not paragon" are glorious. The whole concept and idea of elite specializations when they first were even talked about were to fundamentally change the way the class plays, and they've definitely done it here.

Yep;
"It's a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of "you can't hurt me". They're called guardians, and simply put, they mean trouble."
- Macha, Sea of Sorrows

Guardians have always been a blend of various GW1 classes, and it was never going to be "Here, have GW1-style Paragons exactly as you remember it!" There are winks and nods towards Paragon though; Spear of Justice and Wings of Resolve are pretty obvious, just as the Vanilla Guardian (oh god, we have to start referring to it as "Vanilla GW2" soon, don't we?) has names and icons that reflect that past.

Dragonhunter looks more interesting than I expected and that's a good thing. End of story, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not crazy about the name but I've heard worse, and this is much more distinctive than some that I've seen (Zealot, Avenger, Paladin, etc.). More than any other profession Guardians kind of scream "one trick pony", from the name to their spell effects (Mesmer is a pretty close second with their "everything is pink" look, but at least there's some diversity in how it's used). Dragonhunter looks like it'll put an end to that; Guardians are taking an important step away from the generic "Paladins of Light and Virtue and Justice" and towards a much more interesting "Mage Knight / Battlemage" kind of vibe. And it needed it.

I can only hope the Warrior Elite Spec is as interesting, as I feel like there's even less room to maneuver there.

Thinking about the Warrior, someone posted this picture saying that the armor pieces are something not seen in the game yet, and we know that armor pieces are skins that go with specializations.

Shoulder looks new, but that's the Human T2 Chest

Ashodin

Celestial gear comes from Commendations mainly and Laurels, so best save for those.

As for a tanky/damage build, I can think of using Precision/Toughness/Condition Damage (Rabid) as your main set of gear, which would make you a burning god so long as you keep it on your targets.

Alternative stat combo is Toughness/Power/Precision (Knight's) which you are aware of.

I whipped up a quick Burning you while I block build, which is pretty strong and tanky. I haven't tested it in-game but the stats and combos are there.

Here's the stuff, straight from GW2Skills.net.

87r691E.gif

Sword/Torch main, Scepter/Focus off for ranged

BLno2TT.gif

Trait setup

LLBOeEW.gif

Gear all rabid, Celestial for accessories

spiritfox

I like the idea of "conjured" weapons for War. It plays on the weaponmaster style of the War by giving them more weapons to use, and makes War less one note.

I appreciate you taking the time to do that, Ash! I'll look out for that stat combo gear. I should have a good amount of laurels saved up but those I'll save for when I determine for sure what character I settle on between Guardian and Revenant. I figure I'll try to level a Guardian naturally without burning the items and too much of my special currencies while I wait for HoT to hit but at least I know what stats to aim for as I level him to 80 and I can always buy some of it off the trading post. I'll check if there's a Rabid combo dungeon armor set too though I don't need to worry about it just yet since I have to create and level my guy up before I can tackle those ;P

What type of build do you normally play? I get the feeling you go more for support than attack?

Retro

I like the idea of "conjured" weapons for War. It plays on the weaponmaster style of the War by giving them more weapons to use, and makes War less one note.

It depends on how it's implemented, since we already kind of have a "Warrior with Magic" in the Guardian, so that'd be a bit of an overlap. It'd be cool if they approached it like the "exotic weapon" proficiency from D&D (2nd edition, I don't think they've had proficiencies for two editions now); there are just some weapons from far away places that are too crazy to use unless you're an expert at weaponry. Stuff like nets, whips, great axes and such (interestingly enough, Bolas are already on the exotic weapons list). Treat them like Engineer kits and it could be pretty cool.

Ashodin

I appreciate you taking the time to do that, Ash! I'll look out for that stat combo gear. I should have a good amount of laurels saved up but those I'll save for when I determine for sure what character I settle on between Guardian and Revenant. I figure I'll try to level a Guardian naturally without burning the items and too much of my special currencies while I wait for HoT to hit but at least I know what stats to aim for as I level him to 80 and I can always buy some of it off the trading post. I'll check if there's a Rabid combo dungeon armor set too though I don't need to worry about it just yet since I have to create and level my guy up before I can tackle those ;P

What type of build do you normally play? I get the feeling you go more for support than attack?

Me? I love to play a mix of both, usually. Meditation builds are a lot of fun and you get to stack ferocity which brings huge crits. The toughness trait line "Valor" bringing ferocity with it as well is a plus.

My favorite build that I built myself "Symbol Guardian" is all about dropping symbols for vulnerability, damage, and healing. When the expansion hits, that build will not only get even better and much stronger, but Dragonhunter fits perfectly into the theme as well while providing a long-range symbol option!

Moondrop

Banned
But the difference between me beating another player should, in a game as action-oriented as this, come down to "I am a better player than him" rather than "I have higher numbers than him." (and it should go without saying that in this scenario, "I am a better player" is referring entirely to gameplay, not "I know how to research and theorycraft the most mathematically superior build".
I've calmed down now after being compared to the protagonist of Pi. But this specific comment I've highlighted by Retro raises an important tangent that I think Retro at least will find interesting. For the record I do not agree the parenthetical statement should go without saying, but more importantly I think how we frame this entire paradigm should be examined.

I've been re-evaluating this paradigm after reading some of the foundational principles for Camelot Unchained (sidenote: I recommend these to anyone interested in WvW-style combat, and it gives me flashbacks to GW2's pre-launch days). Across multiple posts including this one, the author reframes the debate as a "skill-based game" vs. a "class-based game." Taken to its extreme, in an entirely skill-based game there must be no difference between player characters, as only how the user operates them in real time matters. Whereas in a class-based game, each class can perform a different set of actions, and strategy is dictated by how the player's class interacts with that of the enemy; rock-paper-scissors is the epitome of a purely class-based game.

But just as no one plays rock-paper-scissors for fun, I don't believe people actually want to play a pure skill game either (hence the no items/final destination/fox only meme). In a purely skill-based outcome, all that matters is your reaction time, dexterity, and ability to read your opponent. But when you introduce class into the mix, it adds an entirely new strategic layer involving one's knowledge of game mechanics and how the various classes interact.

And now finally returning to my point: when you frame the debate as, "I am better at gameplay" vs. "I have higher numbers," I feel you're neglecting all of the strategic gameplay resulting from, "He is higher in A, but I'm higher in B, how can I use that to my advantage?" And this component is inherently based on quantifiable differences
aka numbers
between classes.

It depends on how it's implemented, since we already kind of have a "Warrior with Magic" in the Guardian, so that'd be a bit of an overlap. It'd be cool if they approached it like the "exotic weapon" proficiency from D&D (2nd edition, I don't think they've had proficiencies for two editions now); there are just some weapons from far away places that are too crazy to use unless you're an expert at weaponry. Stuff like nets, whips, great axes and such (interestingly enough, Bolas are already on the exotic weapons list). Treat them like Engineer kits and it could be pretty cool.
The Revenant is also going to be another "magic warrior" profession too. I think a "weaponmaster" idea like that would be cool. Perhaps it could use models for legendary weapons from gw1. The only problem I can see with it is giving them weapons that may eventually become full-on new weapons for profs in later expansions.

Moondrop

Banned
It was meant as a good-natured jab, and a continuation of your own hyperbolic style of insane 'numbers numbers numbers', as you wrote yourself.

If it offended, then I apologize profusely.
Oh not at all, I took it as a compliment- that character is really good at math. ;)

Edit because I've posted too often today: warriors + kits = amazingness; great call.

spiritfox

"Conjured" as in it's not really conjured but pulled from some hammerspace I guess. But I like the idea of exotic weapons being kit replacements. I want to wield a net and trident like a gladiator.

Gladiator is a good specialization name.

Me? I love to play a mix of both, usually. Meditation builds are a lot of fun and you get to stack ferocity which brings huge crits. The toughness trait line "Valor" bringing ferocity with it as well is a plus.

My favorite build that I built myself "Symbol Guardian" is all about dropping symbols for vulnerability, damage, and healing. When the expansion hits, that build will not only get even better and much stronger, but Dragonhunter fits perfectly into the theme as well while providing a long-range symbol option!

Nice, I imagine once I get a Guardian leveled up and start trying and grasping builds I'll bug you with more discussion on this subject :)

Just quoting to say thanks as well since that's somewhat how I've been building towards as I've started focusing on burns a bit more but I find myself dying more than anyone else so I need to focus on a slightly more defensive build. I guess I've been a bit more burning and retaliation focused as most things I do gives that as well.

Largely I've just been playing willy-nilly but now that I'm 80 I should probably actually focus more on a build and gear. I did switch to a greatsword and sword+torch build but I still need to experiment more with weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom