• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

I recently tried testing a slim male norn, but a lot of the shoulders looked really weird.
Yeah, my guy is pretty slim and the shoulders that work are mostly the more simple ones (like on the middle pic) or the Vigil ones and I think those really look great. So Vigil shoulders would be my suggestion. They go with almost any chestpiece too.
So something like this perhaps
9iiIAk0.png

Minamu

I think I might've made a big mistake today xD I saw on a site that you could convert skill points into Wool Scraps for profit, a massive 3.5g per point, compared to the standard ~40s conversion. So I bought a ton of mats for conversion and ended up with close to 6000 wool scraps. But then the site updated to a 3.5g loss instead xD Granted, I sold most mats before the site updated but since I trusted the site's mathematics, I didn't do my own calculations and thus have no idea if my money is gone or not :lol Got a bad feeling about this, several weeks worth of gold might be lost :/

Edit: Yeah it looks like I might've lost around 70g on this. Gonna convert the rest of my skill points ahead of HoT and skip out on my exotic karma berserker set to compensate :/

Stuart444

Originally all the servers where isolated from each other so your original point that you had to guest to another server if you wanted to join the guild in doing stuff was correct .

But with the introduction of the Megaservers guesting is no longer necessary.

Yeah, I googled Megaserver earlier when I saw it mentioned. Shows how much I missed haha.

Retro

To chime in on the Norn discussion;

The run animation speed was the bigger hurdle for me than any particular look; I've was careful to make sure my Norn character has access to perma-swiftness or a passive speed trait / signet. So far I only have the one, but I was thinking I'll go Female Norn Revenant whenever HoT hits. I can't imagine I'll ever make one of the tall, huge Norn though.

I'm happy with my Norn Ranger though; shortest height, slightest build;

Retro

Yeah, I'd expect it tomorrow. At the very least we can be pleasantly surprised if they release it later today... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

In other news, I saw an event I'd never seen before last night. An NPC was asking for help saving her fishing village from a drake. When I asked where, she said "follow me" and ran off. She stopped just outside of a camp, turned into a bandit and told her buddies to release their "Bandit-trained Broodmother" and a bunch of hatchlings.

I'd never seen a deceptive NPC like that. Kinda cool.

Stop with the outfits already. Pretty everyone would rather actual armour skins.

It's a problem. But it's a difficult problem.

Asuras, Sylvari and Norns best armors are cultural armors with very few exceptions. Everything else looks best on hoomans.
This makes me wonder if it is better if they go back to race-locked armors?

It doesn't have the flexibility of everyone can wear everything but jesus christ.

4cP1ZKv.jpg

This is not okay. I don't care if Miktar is on Quaggan shrooms. Have some tact. FASHION PEOPLE! UGH!

The Witcher 3 has a plethora of really cool subtle traditional medieval armors:

8bVM1vm.png

AlStrong

like Saturday, where we had someone in a different instance of the map where another guild was working on the same challenge; they got a hit in on an enemy and accepted credit, so the whole guild technically 'beat' it even though no one got any commendations).

Hm... so should I not "represent" in the guild menu when soloing? I only accepted the gaf-guild invite, but didn't click the representation button yet.

I'm more or less exploring everywhere with my first character (lvl 53 at the moment), story etc, but I've seen a couple world boss things where I just happened to be in the neighbourhood.

GW2 50% off, tell your friends and family.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TOQ8X4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hm... so should I not "represent" in the guild menu when soloing? I only accepted the gaf-guild invite, but didn't click the representation button yet.

I'm more or less exploring everywhere with my first character (lvl 53 at the moment), story etc, but I've seen a couple world boss things where I just happened to be in the neighbourhood.
If you do not represent you won't see chat and wont be able to interact with us. You should represent and chat with guildies. They might be doing same thing as you can might want to tag along or they can answer questions if you have any.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That note only pertains to guild missions that you would be actively participating in. It's not something you have to concern yourself with doing accidentally. Please represent whenever you can for full access to chat and the guild features! (unless you're repping another guild intentionally, in which case no worries)

edit: $18.95, damn good deal

Quenk

Representing lets you see and participate in the guild chat. You also benefit from the active upgrades the guild has. Those tend to be small buffs to things like magic find or gathering.

That Charr is splendiferous.

Regarding outfits; http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/34ym6s/understanding_outfits_or_why_didnt_they_release/

TL;DR version: the armor classes have distinctive parts and design elements that make mixing and matching problematic, and since Outfits ignore armor class ANY character can use them so the buyer gets more bang for their buck.

I'm 99.9% confident that HoT will introduce plenty of new armor.
I hope so. One of the most disappointing things about GW2 when it launched was the severe lack of unique weapon and armor models for leveling and stuff. It wasn't fun to have the same dagger/1h sword/2h sword model stretched differently and slightly shaded brown or white for 80 levels.

Stuart444

That final fight in "The Dragon's Reach part 2" was insane. Trying to dodge everything was hard not to mention latency worked against me I think (since I jumped and should have dodged that all ground aoe)

It became an endurance battle, two of us, dying and returning to checkpoint (thankfully the health of the boss didn't reset) until we won. Lost all my clothes lol.

Ignoring that, I'm liking the story and the companions (which is nice since I didn't have any connection to them since I didn't see much of the Living world S1). It's been a fun journey so far.

I like that I don't have to worry so much about gearing up, makes it easier to come back and play through the story/any new content (or replay older content) after taking months/year+ breaks playing other stuff and then coming back.

Retro

Awesome thread, Retro. I'm thinking of returning to the game.

Hey, thanks. I had fun making it.

We're kind of in a lull at the moment, content-wise, though if you haven't played in a while there's two new zones to run around in (The Silverwastes is especially good). We're in that unfortunate "pre-expansion" phase where everyone is just waiting for all the cool stuff to come.

Arkhanor

Hey, thanks. I had fun making it.

We're kind of in a lull at the moment, content-wise, though if you haven't played in a while there's two new zones to run around in (The Silverwastes is especially good). We're in that unfortunate "pre-expansion" phase where everyone is just waiting for all the cool stuff to come.

Thanks. I didn't maxed out and certainly there's a lot more to do for me haha (I think I didn't even hit level 30, but I might be wrong).

Ashodin

Guys, I had a GW2 dream last night.

It was about the Guardian specialization, and it was glorious

It was everything I wanted and everyone else wanted Paragon instead. I WAS LIKE YESSSSSSSSS SUCK IT

They were all "I DONT LIKE THING" and I posted the comic over and over.

Stop with the outfits already. Pretty everyone would rather actual armour skins.

Outfits are pretty cool though.

The texture work is a lot more detailed than on the majority of the armors. I can use them on my alts and not go through a ton of transmutation charges too.

Most armor pieces look like ass when mixed with different sets, so I can't bring myself to be too bothered by nice looking single-piece outfits.

Emitan and I did an AC3 duo together. It was pretty easy (except for a bit of trouble on Colossus Rumblus), but everything turned out fine.

Moondrop

Banned
Outfits are one of the worst design decisions to mar GW2, primarily because they greatly restrict player choice compared to the original design components (separate pieces). That outfits are more detailed than the original armor sets or have elements that cross body parts has absolutely nothing to do with the design decision to sell these skins as unmodifiable uniforms. That they even lack separate dye channels for different body parts is clear evidence of a design decision centered around uniformity. Also the notion that outfits are somehow suited to leveling is absurd; the original system of regular and fine transmutation charges was much friendlier to aesthetics while leveling, and that change had nothing to do with outfits.

Just like the upcoming trait changes, deliberate developer decisions have reduced player options by several orders of magnitude. I suppose then it's left to us players to decide if the greatly reduced available options are still worth our time.

leng jai

Of course outfits don't make sense in a game where the end game is about aesthetics and customisation. There's absolutely zero satisfaction from wearing a generic outfit that countless other people are also using.

Trey

Outfits are one of the worst design decisions to mar GW2, primarily because they greatly restrict player choice compared to the original design components (separate pieces). That outfits are more detailed than the original armor sets or have elements that cross body parts has absolutely nothing to do with the design decision to sell these skins as unmodifiable uniforms. That they even lack separate dye channels for different body parts is clear evidence of a design decision centered around uniformity. Also the notion that outfits are somehow suited to leveling is absurd; the original system of regular and fine transmutation charges was much friendlier to aesthetics while leveling, and that change had nothing to do with outfits.

Just like the upcoming trait changes, deliberate developer decisions have reduced player options by several orders of magnitude. I suppose then it's left to us players to decide if the greatly reduced available options are still worth our time.

Several orders of magnitude? We're going from 12 to 9, I thought.

And outfits are quick and easy and look halfway decent. I would love more individual armor pieces, but I understand why outfits exist. There is demand for them, and they're easier to make.

Levyne

Banned
In complete agreement about outfits. I don't own a single one. I try to avoid using matching armor pieces as well (even though finding a "match" outside of a set can be tricky, it's 90% of the enjoyment of barbie end game). Only my warrior uses a full set.

The number of combinations goes down significantly when you select 3 of 5 (6) trait lines completely and within each, can only select 3 at each tier instead of 6 and 4 for the first two. Though there are a lot of useless traits, so I'm not going to be hard on trimming the fat quite yet.

Edit: 4 at master tier. I'm tired.

Retro

I agree that moving away from separate pieces and removing choices is generally a bad thing, but I also look at the outfits we have now (which are much better looking, I don't think that's in question?) and the Town Clothes we had and there's just no comparison. Town Clothes were mostly garbage (ugly hoodies and vests? Really?), and if the reason they were garbage is that they were restricted by whatever it is Outfits have fixed, that's a win (and a double win if there's a similar reason town clothes weren't useable in combat).

I'd rather have the more restrictive Outfits and have them be something I want to use versus the more open-ended Town Clothes and have them be something I never use. It's sort of the same thing with traits; I'd rather have five awesome choices that really make a difference than twenty crappy ones that are all boring. And that's basically what Town Clothes were (and I don't think we can argue that they didn't give Town Clothes a chance because it took them a while to implement outfits).

As for Basic / Fine Transmutation Stones / Crystals, that system was ass-backwards and confusing; the basic stones were completely useless for a max level player and simply accumulated unless you used them on alts. Having a currency suddenly become invalid because you've reached your goal was awful, especially a currency used solely for cosmetics which is one of the more important parts of the game.

Case in point: I like to wear glasses on my characters. Outfits won't let me!

I agree, there should be a way to allow the head slot to be visible, since it's currently possible to disable the head slot now.

Ashodin

Town Clothes morphed into Outfits for one purpose - money. They saw an opportunity to provide unique pieces of clothing that were all one deal, and they ran with it. Town Clothes previously were exactly as you described - useless and only there for RP. Hell, Outfits technically are there for RP as well, but you can use them in combat to achieve a different look. The Balthazar outfit outclasses so many other outfits, however, including armor as well, which is why you'll see many heavy armor classes wear it from here on out.

I wouldn't be surprised if more outfits arrive that are as flashy as the Balthazar outfit. They encourage people to buy them, and encourage laziness on players' parts because it's all one skin they can just "tick on" their warrior.

Moondrop

Banned
Try dyeing your current town clothes this well with the current system and then tell me things have improved.

Several orders of magnitude? We're going from 12 to 9, I thought.
The reduction in build diversity is primarily due to the forced choice of 1/3 options at each node, not the total reduction from 13 to 9 traits per line. Currently the total possible builds in the game numbers in the millions. If you applied the proposed changes to the current eight professions, that number drops to about 2000. Adding in a ninth profession plus an elite specialization to each only pushes that number over 3000. So we're talking at least three orders of magnitude, or over a thousandfold reduction in build diversity.

Ashodin

Personally, I'm hyped about the changes because

• Not taking a grandmaster feels fucking weird and stupid
  • Some builds that had to take every single goddamn trait just to be SOMEWHAT viable (at least in your head) get WAY better (spirit weapons)
  • You get three goddamn grandmasters. THREE

Stuart444

Speaking of clothes/armour, I don't think I honestly ever want to have a different style of outfit. Any armour I use, I would want to transmute to look like the heritage armour.

So pretty ^_^

(side note: F5 doesn't work but F6 does. I set them up like it said in the controller guide set up. I think it's because of profession skill 5 using F5 as a primary function? So I went with the old ctrl + shift + H to hide the UI)

Zeroth

Try dyeing your current town clothes this well with the current system and then tell me things have improved.

The reduction in build diversity is primarily due to the forced choice of 1/3 options at each node, not the total reduction from 13 to 9 traits per line. Currently the total possible builds in the game numbers in the millions. If you applied the proposed changes to the current eight professions, that number drops to about 2000. Adding in a ninth profession plus an elite specialization to each only pushes that number over 3000. So we're talking at least three orders of magnitude, or over a thousandfold reduction in build diversity.

I think people are too caught up on sheer numbers instead of how useful they are. Sure, let's say there are millions of possible builds. How many of them are actually useful though? I can see an argument that it limits diversity solely on numbers, but I feel we are moving to a point where we have less choices but at the same time they are far more meaningful.

In regards to outfit, they were a solution to a problem (no one buying town clothes), and their success probably caught anet offguard too. I prefer single armor pieces because I like mixing different sets, but outfits fill a niche that seems to be quite beloved.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-dragonhunter-guardians-elite-specialization/

Dragon what?

EDIT: For our working friends:

Meet the Dragonhunter: Guardian’s Elite Specialization

Welcome, friends. I’m Karl McLain, and today we’ll be talking about the guardian’s new elite specialization: the dragonhunter—a ferocious big-game hunter that specializes in ranged combat and back-line support.

When we set out on the search for the guardian’s elite specialization, we looked for areas in which the guardian lacked a solid role. It turns out that wielding light and virtue as power sources is actually somewhat difficult to do, and a guardian’s abilities are fairly short-range or unconventional in their application. We thought about how the guardian might handle long-range combat and supporting allies while fighting on the back lines. To this end, we’ve decided to incorporate a more physical aspect into the guardian, and its powers in light-wielding have deepened to the point that they can better physically manifest objects into the world and send them flying as swift as an arrow.

Virtuous Combat

With all of the changes to Tyria, dragonhunters have learned to better control their abilities in the fight against Mordremoth. Instead of fire-and-forget, we’ll be introducing more focused abilities that allow you to lend a better helping hand around the battlefield; virtues will become corporeal and will require you to aim them to some extent. Here’s the rundown on how your virtues will change.

Spear of Justice—The Virtue of Justice currently grants your allies the ability to burn enemies in addition to trait benefits. With the new specialization, you’ll find that your Virtue of Justice is now a thrown spear that pierces through all unworthy foes, tethering them as long as they remain in range. You’ll send out searing pulses to each enemy tethered, continuously burning them and ensuring an unpleasant experience for those affected.

4b0e8Wings-of-Resolve-F2-590x331.jpg

Wings of Resolve—Your resolve against the enemies of Tyria has grown by leaps and bounds. Dragonhunters will find that their Virtue of Resolve no longer instantly heals in an area, but that they can instead grow wings of light and leap into an area, healing allies. For those more offensively minded, you can also trait your Wings of Resolve to deliver an attack at your landing spot.

Shield of Courage—Instead of simply activating your Virtue of Courage and giving your allies aegis, you’ll now create a shield in front of you that blocks attacks for allies within its radius. With excellent control through positioning, you’ll find that you can block much more efficiently when facing the enemy, though you’ll be exposed from your flanks.

Also please note that we’d like each new virtue to retain properties of the traits that affect them, such as Renewed Justice and Justice is Blind. When not recharging, they’ll still have passive effects so that you can continue to provide Battle Presence and provide your allies with a full health pool as you currently do.

Another Arrow in the Quiver

Along with their newfound powers in light manipulation, dragonhunters will have access to longbows. Instead of shooting arrows, the guardian will focus on firing massive, single projectiles at a ferocious velocity. This weapon set will focus less on engaging enemies at close range but will have lots of potential in assisting allies around the battlefield. An example of this is that your Symbol of Energy can be launched to an area to grant allies vigor. If your enemy is using a projectile attack and is attacking your allies, you can fire your Deflecting Shot in its path and, with the right timing, destroy all of your enemy’s projectiles along the way.

f4d76Glamor-1-590x331.jpg

Supremacy through Insight

Favor in battle can often be determined by foresight and preparation, and dragonhunters will be able to manifest light-based magical traps that will activate when an enemy runs over them. These big-game traps will have a variety of effects, but none will be pleasant for an enemy unfortunate enough to be caught within them. Approach carefully, enemies of Tyria…or fall prey to the guardian and their elite Dragon’s Maw.

Since you’re probably already asking, yes, the dragonhunter’s healing ability is also a trap. Guardians will preemptively imbue light into the ground for a smaller heal. When enemies trigger the trap, the guardian will pull the light from the ground, striking and blinding enemies while healing for a large amount.

Advancing Forward

Guardians will find that the new elite specialization gives them access to some conditions and functionality normally reserved for professions of a more physical nature. They’ll gain a bit of innate mobility, while the ability to cripple or bleed enemies will become an option through their elite specialization traits. One of their elite specialization traits is Rending Light, which will enable all varieties of traps to bleed enemies. Whether taking on the masses or a single enemy, the dragonhunter is a predator to be feared.

Sharpen your justice. Dust off your resolve. Brace your courage. Guardians—the dragonhunter approaches. See you on the battlefield.

Spyware

Ah, the outfit discussion that comes up every single time a new one is released :p
They make them because they sell so obviously some people want them, enough people to make them a good thing to make for ANet.
They make them because they are SO much easier to make than armor sets that has to be properly fitted with other sets and so on yadayada. They are probably saving the armor set work for the expansion. I think that would be logical, no?

I like them because I don't have to level up in mismatched ugly armor or waste transmutation charges. I don't think they replace armor and the dress up of end game. I don't use them on lvl 80s unless I dress up for an event (I used Arctic Explorer for the GAF Orr Christmas). I own all but 3 of them.

Saying that they are going away from the armor mixing is odd, they have not replaced any armor set with an outfit. The armors are still all there and you can just ignore all the outfits if you want. Yeah we don't get new armor sets, but that's (again) probably because they have to have something to offer HoT buyers. I don't think we would get any new ones even if outfits didn't exist.

Edit: Ah, wings as skill effects as I assumed! But with a leap too, nice. I like the Dragonhunter but I don't like the name.

Anno

Well that was an unexpected name and concept, but I'm pretty hyped to have even more control and support. Now to start working towards a worthy bow.

Moondrop

Banned
Not taking a grandmaster feels fucking weird and stupid
Currently two traits that virtually ever elementalist takes, Bolt to the Heart and Elemental Attunement, are not grandmasters. Both were originally introduced as adept traits, and the developers are now moving them to be grandmaster traits after the trait patch.

So are players who recognized that these traits are better than the current grandmasters stupid? Perhaps there is value to players in not putting all build decisions in the hand of the developers, but allowing some things to develop organically?

I think people are too caught up on sheer numbers instead of how useful they are. Sure, let's say there are millions of possible builds. How many of them are actually useful though? I can see an argument that it limits diversity solely on numbers, but I feel we are moving to a point where we have less choices but at the same time they are far more meaningful.
I don't think people are "caught up on sheer numbers" enough. I'm amused by the concept of rejecting defining build diversity "solely by numbers." How should it be defined- by your feelings that 1/1000 of the previous set of options contains more diversity? By your feelings that the reduced set of options are more "useful" and "meaningful?" Sounds like a lot of empty language that ignores the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom