• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
SB26bPd.gif
Best gif ever.

Proven

I don't like losing control of my character. It completely killed WoW PvP for me.

But I think there is a difference between CC. There is a different between being KD'd for 2 seconds, and then being rooted by a druid for 12 seconds while 3 people hack away your health.

There is a difference between being feared for 10 seconds, and then being crippled for 5 (where you still have your movement of your character and still can attack). I just don't think you should lose completely control of your character, and I am interested in seeing what will happen with Revernant getting taunt.

Maybe Warrior will get some sort of taunt ability as well?

Personally, I feel like you need CCs. They're a valuable way to interact with your opponent that isn't just more damage, or just another type of damage. They can be used to set up kills, but more importantly they can be used to save lives. In TF2 you could knock opponents with certain attacks to screw up their aim, and the fact that most weapons had some amount of knockback was something specifically designed so that all attack pressure had some varying amount of CC pressure to help allies. Also, because it can be fun to throw people around and (at times) be thrown around.

And GW2 takes it one step further by also including anti-CC abilities. Stability, (soon) Resistance, Dodges, and Stun Breakers. There honestly doesn't feel like there's much to fear, and on the Revenant we can already see Taunt is being treated carefully by consuming a large amount of their resource mechanic and also CC'ing the user along with the target.

Wait, can anyone tell me if Resistance only prevents damaging conditions?

What concerns me the most right now is the idea that people who pick an elite specialization will be stronger in PvP and WvW than someone who choose to remain in their base profession. I think it is really important that people can remain competitive by still choosing to remain a Mesmer or a Ranger or a Guardian.

But what are you giving off by going Chronomancer? You get another F skill, you can still use all the weapons. Unless you got some crazy synergy build that has no points for Chronomancer tree, will people choose to remain Mesmers?
You can even be a Chronomancer and not invest in the tree? I think that would be weird. I think your class should only change to a elite specialization if you're actually picking a elite spec as one of your three specs.

The other reason for this is that it was a cornerstone of GW1 that ArenaNet did not try to shoehorn people into buying the expansions to GW1. If the new professions, gear and skills were more powerful, players would feel forced to buy the expansion. Instead the horizontal levelling was kept in place to make sure that it stayed true to the Magic The Gathering form of balance. Having more choice (like an elite spec) is an advantage) but it's not more powerful. having more choice doesn't mean you're dressing for the right ocassion if you pick the wrong build, gear, skills and so on.
Both DragonHunter and Chrono look really powerful. I know some people will not do it simply because of personal reasons, but I really hope that power-wise, people won't feel disadvantaged by staying in their base profession.

Even in Magic the Gathering, even if you kept with the really strong old stuff, the new stuff would often feel stronger and people would feel the need, real or imagined, to get on the new stuff. Metagames would change as the new stuff would have certain weaknesses but do new things or old things more efficiently (perhaps related to the theme of the expansion).

So, that's what I expect from Heart of Thorns. Either some builds will be more dependent on the base game traits and can't fit the elite specializations, or certain builds will use a certain number of base game traits to counter the elite specializations. There's also the fact that something like the Chronomancer will be harder to use and potentially more catastrophic if you mess up. Wells are still easy to dodge without a certain degree of CC and Alacrity needs to be maximised to be worth it.

But hey, I'm probably also not worried because I'm planning to buy the expansion anyway, and anyone who's even semi-serious about competitive PvP play will need to buy the expansion just for the horizontal options. PvE players will have to buy it anyway to get to the new zones. WvW players will likely get it for the same reason as PvP players, although they have the least reason to, the lucky dogs.

Quenk

I'm pretty good at this game. I took my warrior into TA and salvaged the warhorn I was keeping around for trash runs.

Proven

Oooh, forgot to mention. I got a Portal this morning! Now to hope that the test date isn't the same date as one of my Finals next week.

I was wondering, could I just move the Guild Wars 2 folder as it is to a new computer? Would that work?

You have to download client on new PC. When it finishes initial quick install, stop the download of all files. Then just copy over the gw2.dat file from old pc to new pc and you are good to go.

Well, I created my new Guardian over the weekend and thanks to the instant lvl 20 scroll, have him around lvl 36 or so and got his Armor Smithing to 400. I kind of randomly decided to level up crafting but it worked out because I don't have crappy 4 slot leather bags on him now :D Also, my first non-human character though I don't get much credit because I chose a Norn haha I've completely cleared Holbrak, LA, Wayfarer Foothills and Snowden Drifts so making steady progress. I'm also progressing my personal story and it was cool finally seeing a different beginning after seeing the human one multiple times. It was a bit interesting to get some background info on Jotuns.

I have a question, how does unlocking Traits work now? Do you still buy all the main traits from a profession trainer? You must because right before bed I got my second trait point and unlocked the first major trait spot on a trait line but there aren't any options to select for it. I'm assuming I just have to talk to a trainer but figured I'd clarify while at work :) I've noticed there are extra traits now that you can earn by performing a specific task and I think I heard the trainers have some you can buy individually. I'll have to check that out.

Also, I forgot how much I enjoy exploring off the beaten path and finding a single player or two in that random area. I almost feel some kind of kindred bond in those moments ha

Oh yeah, I also unexpectedly found something new in Snowden Drifts, I found a cave of sorts and tried to solve the puzzles within. Eventually the portion I was working on just seemed utterly impossible solo so I finally looked it up and it turns out it's a Guild Challenge. That's cool they added more of those and I'll have to run through that with some of you guys sometime.

Wallach

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssss

Unfortunate that they use that little rat thing for the art, but we can ignore that.

No clue what they'll call it.

Taffer

If it's not Skulwyzrd I'm deleting the redundant backup installation of the game that I should have removed months ago.

Retro

What two words will they put together for the Necromancers specilization?

Dreadblade
Plaguelord (though I think it's unlikely Greatsword Necro will use a lot of conditions)
Harbinger
Executioner

Do the "wings" look vaguely insect-like to anyone else? Like Dragonfly wings?

2413657-skeletor.jpg

Did anybody say Skeletor up in this biatch?

That artwork is fantastic. WOW! That is the best artwork since the game was released. That greatsword is overpowered, overdesigned, yet I want it. Like Ashodins garage there is no logic reasons for must having all these skins that I will never put to good use, but I must.

Thorgal

T
Code:
ime Marches On – You move 25% faster. The duration of incoming movement-impairing conditions is reduced by 25%. (Cripple. Chilled, Immobilize)

all mesmers in WVW to become chronomancers confirmed ! :p

Ashodin

hnggggggg

That Lost Time grandmaster.

Danger Time + Lost Time wtf!

holy shit reddit lol

someone suggested Ghostbuster for the name of the necro spec and then some guy responds with this

A couple notes on Ghostbuster. We went with this name because we felt it was evocative of the mid-80s. Necromancers consider themselves busters of Ghosts. The origin of the Ghostbuster is a more subtle nuanced version of this. Necromancers fight with ghosts and the Ghostbuster busts with Ghosts. I understand this is a lot more high concept than Mesmer but at the end of the day we felt like we wanted to try and push a more mature theme here. I hope this helps explain our thinking. We had other generic names in mind but felt like it was important to have a mix of spec names that are generic fantasy, more Tyrian fantasy, and more high concept. This one falls more in the third category.
Thanks,
Jon

laughing-smiley-016.gif

Moondrop

Banned
Chronomancers are free of the shackles of traveler's runes. Let the peasants rejoice.

That 'slow enemy on interrupt' trait is going to be quite valuable.

Levyne

Banned
Here's the list of traits for the thread

Minor
Time Splitter – Gain access to continuum split/shift which allows you to revert to an earlier point in time.
Flow of Time – Gain alacrity when you shatter. (1s)
Time Marches On – You move 25% faster. The duration of incoming movement-impairing conditions is reduced by 25%. (Cripple. Chilled, Immobilize)

Adept
Time Catches Up – Activating a shatter gives your illusions Super Speed
Delayed Reactions – Interrupting a foe slows them. (3s of Slow)
All’s Well that Ends Well – Wells remove conditions from allies when they end. (1 condition)

Master
Illusionary Reversion – Gain a clone after you activate a shatter skill.
Improved Alacrity – Alacrity applied to you lasts longer. (33%)
Danger Time – Gain additional critical hit chance against slowed enemies. (30%)

Grandmaster
Lost Time – Every 3rd critical hit will slow your target. (2s of Slow)
Chronophantasma – Your phantasms respawn the first time they are shattered.
Seize The Moment – Gain quickness for each illusion you shatter. (1s of Quickness)

I feel like Delayed Reaction, Danger Time, Lost time could potentially be really powerful

Heart of Thorns and the future of Guild Wars 2
Not all of the masteries are limited to the new zones, either. The build of Heart of Thorns that I played included two potential game-wide bonuses: one that enabled precursor weapon crafting and another that provided buffs and extra rewards in Fractal dungeons.

I'm not sure "buffs" were what I was expecting. I expected the Masteries to make Fractals harder. I guess we'll see, that's still not a lot of information to base anything on.

Does anyone have any fun builds for mesmers? I've gone back to leveling the one I made at launch and currently using the s/s & s/f phantasm meta build, but it's not that interesting.

Trey

lol, "monetization lead." I suppose it makes sense that there would be a person who heads up that effort, but to just see it as a title still makes me laugh.

Morokh

Necro hype !

Let's just hope they won't make something that will end-up mandatory in dungeons, that's something that should be looked at in the base class.

As far as skins are concerned, sword and hood ? or pauldrons ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have a question, how does unlocking Traits work now? Do you still buy all the main traits from a profession trainer? You must because right before bed I got my second trait point and unlocked the first major trait spot on a trait line but there aren't any options to select for it. I'm assuming I just have to talk to a trainer but figured I'd clarify while at work :) I've noticed there are extra traits now that you can earn by performing a specific task and I think I heard the trainers have some you can buy individually. I'll have to check that out.
You can unlock each trait either by performing the task associated with it, or purchasing it outright for gold at your profession trainer.
Oh yeah, I also unexpectedly found something new in Snowden Drifts, I found a cave of sorts and tried to solve the puzzles within. Eventually the portion I was working on just seemed utterly impossible solo so I finally looked it up and it turns out it's a Guild Challenge. That's cool they added more of those and I'll have to run through that with some of you guys sometime.
Guild Puzzle. We do our missions on Saturday nights 9PM EST and Sunday 3PM EST. EDT? I don't know. whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom